1. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.79%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

more definition in my chest

i'm looking for more def. in my chest any suggestions. current chest training is 16 sets per w/o. i alternate between middle/upper and lower and middle every other week. my reps stay around 7 to 11. currently using DB's due to a shoulder problem, a straight bar fixes my shoulder in such a way, it hurts. i have a good size chest, just a bit flabby, i hold weight in my chest making it look a bit like a females around the sides and inner parts. suggestions. i was thinking about going to a lighter weight and doing more reps but wanted to check with you guys first and see if someone else had or has this issue.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.24%

hows yor body fat now? i got really good striayions in my chest from low to high cable flys. ( starting at thighs ending in front of face, done in sort of an arcing motion. ) verrryyy slowwwly, lots of tut.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I do a super set exercise 4 times a session where I do DB flys first at 30-45lbs 8 times and then immediately do flat bench at maybe 40-55lbs less than your max. Squeeze out like 4-7 reps. Rest around 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Best to only use this once a week as to not over train.
    so technically 4 sets of 8flys + 4-7bench press.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.83%

Analise your chest in the mirror and note what parts of it are lagging. Is it the upper, lower, inner or outer or a combination of.... You could try using a priority principle in which when it comes time for chest training, perform exercises relevant to the lagging part of the chest first...quite opposite of probably your normal routine. This way the lagging part of the muscle gets a fresh workout while the more developed parts of the chest come after that(lesser priority)
    There may have to be some trial and error on your part to see what will work best for YOU. Combine dumbell and cable work, using various angles and exercises alwats changing it up. (Confusion) You can also work with negatives if you have a partner and forced reps. See what high intensityty does for you with minimal rest between sets....you can also try supersetting.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.24%

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    I do a super set exercise 4 times a session where I do DB flys first at 30-45lbs 8 times and then immediately do flat bench at maybe 40-55lbs less than your max. Squeeze out like 4-7 reps. Rest around 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Best to only use this once a week as to not over train.
    so technically 4 sets of 8flys + 4-7bench press.
    ive done this, works very well. intense.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc View Post
    Analise your chest in the mirror and note what parts of it are lagging. Is it the upper, lower, inner or outer or a combination of.... You could try using a priority principle in which when it comes time for chest training, perform exercises relevant to the lagging part of the chest first...quite opposite of probably your normal routine. This way the lagging part of the muscle gets a fresh workout while the more developed parts of the chest come after that(lesser priority)
    There may have to be some trial and error on your part to see what will work best for YOU. Combine dumbell and cable work, using various angles and exercises alwats changing it up. (Confusion) You can also work with negatives if you have a partner and forced reps. See what high intensityty does for you with minimal rest between sets....you can also try supersetting.
    really well said.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.16%

high repetitions low weight. and do sprints it will cause definition gains and fat loss all over and not lose muscle.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.36%

Quote Originally Posted by Matt6969 View Post
    high repetitions low weight. and do sprints it will cause definition gains and fat loss all over and not lose muscle.
    You don't build definition. That's achieved through your diet. The sprints will help speed fat loss ONLY if his diet is right. If it's not then it will probably just induce overtraining.

If you are looking to build your chest focus on heavy compound exercises. Rotate 3-4 and keep track of the weights and reps you use each week and try to beat all the previous weeks numbers.

I'd drop the number of sets too. What do you think is going to build a bigger chest, 16 sets of presses and flys done w/ submaximal weight or 3-4 sets of presses done w/ near maximal weight.

Focus on tricep exercises that are going to work you chest secondarily. Dips, close grip bench, close grip incline bench, floor press, and hammer grip DB press also work you chest well.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.24%

Quote Originally Posted by jtp217 View Post
    You don't build definition. That's achieved through your diet. The sprints will help speed fat loss ONLY if his diet is right. If it's not then it will probably just induce overtraining.

If you are looking to build your chest focus on heavy compound exercises. Rotate 3-4 and keep track of the weights and reps you use each week and try to beat all the previous weeks numbers.

I'd drop the number of sets too. What do you think is going to build a bigger chest, 16 sets of presses and flys done w/ submaximal weight or 3-4 sets of presses done w/ near maximal weight.

Focus on tricep exercises that are going to work you chest secondarily. Dips, close grip bench, close grip incline bench, floor press, and hammer grip DB press also work you chest well.
    altough i agree with what your saying, completely, for building a bigger chest, higher rep, submax weight, particularly flyes, will develop definition, which is what he asked.
  9. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

How do you develop definition?

Lower body fat exposes LBM and gives it a defined appearance by exposing what was hidden under the fat.

He could do what you said and if he has fat over the muscle it will do nothing for definition.

Reduced subcutaneous body fat increases definition.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.24%

Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    How do you develop definition?

Lower body fat exposes LBM and gives it a defined appearance by exposing what was hidden under the fat.

He could do what you said and if he has fat over the muscle it will do nothing for definition.

Reduced subcutaneous body fat increases definition.
    right, which is why i asked what his current bf was., in my earlier post.
  11. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

But you said...
    Quote Originally Posted by dedlifter1 View Post
    altough i agree with what your saying, completely, for building a bigger chest, higher rep, submax weight, particularly flyes, will develop definition, which is what he asked.
    ...hence why I asked "How do you develop definition" via exercise choices, reps and weight?

It is not exercise but body fat that influences definition.

Sorry. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.79%

i'll get my BF% tonight. my calipers are in a box somewherew in my apt. hopefully i can find them. the issue i have with the calipers is, i have scar tissue in my gut area (don't ask, but its enough to throw off the calipers and make it seem like my BF is higher than it really is). My problem is something that may not be fixed so easily. i am basicly lean all over except in my chest and stomach (coming off a semi-clean bulk). so i have what i will call problem areas. if i start to cut, hopefully i will not lose mass in my other (lean areas) but to try and just get the fat to be gone in these areas might be like trying to find the corner in a circle formed room, know what i mean. i think i might just be in the situation where, to get the definition i am looking for, i might just have to risk loseing a bit of mass on the rest of my body. this is the part of this life i hate. no such thing as spot redusing in just 1 or 2 areas without effecting the others to......my body is not that smart. i think i will just start cutting, but do it very slowly e.g. lowering carbs weekly, and lowering cals too while keeping protein and healthy fats a bit higher. i do not think i could go keto, i love my carbs. and i probably should not need to what do you guys think?
  13. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Unfortunately our body fat distribution is what it is. The first on is the last off regardless of your distribution pattern. Really no way around it.

What you can do is potentiate the local area for fat loss by using topical transdermal fat loss products like Lipoderm-Y and Lipoderm-Ultra. They do not burn fat in and of themselves but they do free up local trouble area adipose or FFA into circulation for oxidation.

When FFA is freed up in that manner it allows it to be burned for fuel (or used as energy) when you are in a generous deficit. If one is not in a deficit it will redeposit as adipose again.

Many have had success with chest fat and the two Avant products I mentioned. Those products contain Yohimbine which is administered locally, yet it does work to it's best potential when you keep insulin levels low - or low carb - as insulin blunts Yohimbine's ability to do what it does.
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.79%

Unfortunately our body fat distribution is what it is. The first on is the last off regardless of your distribution pattern. Really no way around it.

What you can do is potentiate the local area for fat loss by using topical transdermal fat loss products like Lipoderm-Y and Lipoderm-Ultra. They do not burn fat in and of themselves but they do free up local trouble area adipose or FFA into circulation for oxidation.

When FFA is freed up in that manner it allows it to be burned for fuel (or used as energy) when you are in a generous deficit. If one is not in a deficit it will redeposit as adipose again.

Many have had success with chest fat and the two Avant products I mentioned. Those products contain Yohimbine which is administered locally, yet it does work to it's best potential when you keep insulin levels low - or low carb - as insulin blunts Yohimbine's ability to do what it does.
    any thoughts on napalm?
  15. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Although Napalm is excellent, it tends to attach predominantly VAT. My understanding is that VAT is predominantly localized to the midsection, hips and ass.

I believe chest fat would consist predominantly of SAT. Although Napalm is effective at reducing SAT I believe that its actives tend to sway at least 50/50 VAT/SAT if not more so toward VAT. Where as Lipoderm-Y and Lipoderm-Ultra actives are more suited to primarily attack SAT.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.24%

Talking

But you said......hence why I asked "How do you develop definition" via exercise choices, reps and weight?

It is not exercise but body fat that influences definition.

Sorry. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
    I see what you mean. are you saying there is no corrolation between the two? i believe that the striations in my pecs became much more pronounced, with higher rep, particularly flyes. this change occured at the same diet and body fat prct so it seems logical that the two are related , no? If this comes off prick-ish its not my intention.
  17. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

You're not being prick-ish.

I am not expert - lets get that out of the way.

I do agree with you in that regard, as I also do see a difference (anecdotally) with different types of reps/weight/intensity routines in there effects on muscle density, hardening - or sculpting - if you will. Yet I believe, and you may agree, that without a "leaner" body composition, those muscle characteristics may not be evident.

Is there a correlation - dunno. Are they complementary - I think so.

Again - not an expert
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.24%

Talking

You're not being prick-ish.

I am not expert - lets get that out of the way.

I do agree with you in that regard, as I also do see a difference (anecdotally) with different types of reps/weight/intensity routines in there effects on muscle density, hardening - or sculpting - if you will. Yet I believe, and you may agree, that without a "leaner" body composition, those muscle characteristics may not be evident.

Again - not an expert
    leaner body composition is the absolute first thing, imho. i am of the same school of thought that diff exercises and weights, especially finishing moves like flyes, for myself tend to give a very rippling effect, when done in high repetition. but yeah, if your like 25% bf i dont care if you do 500 fllyes with 45lbs an arm, not going to matter much!!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help with definition
    By ABNRanger in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 10:15 PM
  2. What Should I take for Mass and Definition?
    By TonyBSRT in forum Supplements
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 06:49 AM
  3. Definition of 'Cluster F*ck'
    By jakellpet in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 10:26 AM
  4. Flat bench to the chest or couple inches above chest...
    By bbillcee in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 06:30 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 06:51 PM