? for IA - Martial Arts + Weights

MrBean

Awards
IA or anyone else with knowledge
If a someone is training in martial arts 2-3 times a week & also wishes to do weight/strength training, how would you approach it?
ie - how many days of weights, full body or split the body into groups
Thanks for any help

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have combined the two and worked with many that have. It depends on the specific discipline you are in somewhat. Some like tae kwon do are EXTREMELY demanding, while other less aggressive forms will leave more left at the end of the day. Don't expect much when breaking in with the art and the weights until your GPP (general physical preparedness, a Westside Barbell term for general conditioning) goes up some. I had to get on a brief 2 day a week routine to make good progress, and every time I tried to slip in another day, and more lifts, I hit a wall. I have trained some people that did very well with the two by just cutting back slightly on their volume and adding LOTS to their eating. If you get REALLY into it, and are in the dojo 6 days a week expect slow, or no gains. Life is a compromise most of the time. With balance you can make many things work well if you go about it intelligently.

Iron Addict

MrBean

Awards
Thanks for taking the time to respond IA.
I'm 1/2 way to my black belt in karate & train 2xweek.
I also compete 3-5 x year in full contact karate.
I have also trained with weights for some time.
In the last year or so I have given more emphasis to strength training, ie weights.
But now I want to devote the same effort to both karate & weights.
My goal is to be strong, fast & lean, not big & bulky.

I've spent a lot of time thinking of the best way to set a schedule which allows for progress in both strength training & karate whilst reducing the risk of overtraining.
BTW - I'm a natural ecto.

How does the following schedule look to you:
Monday - Karate 6:00-7:30 p.m.
Tuesday - Off
Wednesday - Karate 6:00-7:30 p.m.
Thursday - Lower Body
Friday - Off
Saturday - Off
Sunday - Upper Body

Lower Body
Squats 5x5
Weighted Hyperextensions 1x15-20
Weighted Chins 5x5
Hammer Curls 1x10-15
Weighted Ab Crunches 2x10-15

Upper Body
Bench Press 5x5
Lateral Raises 1x15-20
Dips 5x5
Calf Raise 2x15-20
L-Flyes 2x10-15

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Mr Bean that looks ok, I would add close-grip bench press for dips in there but I guess you are doing dips focusing on triceps right? . I don't see a reason for adding L-flyes , I think it would be better if you remove it. If you find yourself that you aren't recovering or gaining strength, you should slowly diminish the 5x5 sets you got, otherwise it looks very promising.

MrBean

Awards
Raul
The L-flyes are not a heavy or taxing movement.
The exercise is there to strengthen my rotator-cuffs which I consider important.
I personally prefer dips for triceps - I keep my legs straight & body upright to focus on them.
But close-grip presses is another great movement for triceps which I will alternate with dips when I plateau with that movement.
I agree with you about dropping a set or two if I'm not recovering/seeing good progress - good point :)

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Raul
The L-flyes are not a heavy or taxing movement.
The exercise is there to strengthen my rotator-cuffs which I consider important.
I personally prefer dips for triceps - I keep my legs straight & body upright to focus on them.
But close-grip presses is another great movement for triceps which I will alternate with dips when I plateau with that movement.
I agree with you about dropping a set or two if I'm not recovering/seeing good progress - good point :)
Right, if you feel the need of adding the rotator cuff exercises by all means do it. About the dips and close grip part, yeah that is what i was trying to prove, maybe switch between them 1 week dips 1 week close grip so you don't stagnate as fast.