quick question about E.M.S.

kasmith

Awards
If a person has a medical condition (such as lower back problems or hip problems) that would prevent them from doing ab exersizes and still wants to be as healthy as they can be, should electronic muscle stimulation be a part of their workout ? or is it just a waist of time and money.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
If a person has a medical condition (such as lower back problems or hip problems) that would prevent them from doing ab exersizes and still wants to be as healthy as they can be, should electronic muscle stimulation be a part of their workout ? or is it just a waist of time and money.
I dont think the electric stim works that well unless u are going to get one of those stim machines that the physical therapists use and even then its hard to say if it will actually work u out to the point it would actually get a net gain from it.

Is this person is capable of performing other exercises? Are they able to walk/run? If they can exercise what can they perform with comfort?

The e-stim really only works for muscles that have had a server of nueral activity the stim acts as the innervation that they would be getting from the afferent and eggerent motor neurons reguarly. Since back and hip problems are the result of being incapable of doing the exercise I dont think that e-stim would really be helpful. But I could be wrongm just seems you would have to run a pretty high amount of shock through yourself before you could see/feel any gains if you can even get any.

kasmith

Awards
hey thanks for your thoughts slacker sounds like you might know a thing or two. my wife is the person i was refering to. we already bought one so she'll try it (to be fair ill prolly at least see what it feels like too) and ill post how she/we feel about it. gotta be honest though i hope your wrong.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
hey thanks for your thoughts slacker sounds like you might know a thing or two. my wife is the person i was refering to. we already bought one so she'll try it (to be fair ill prolly at least see what it feels like too) and ill post how she/we feel about it. gotta be honest though i hope your wrong.
I'm a kinesiology major and looking to go into physical therapy so I am a firmiliar with the equiptment but only in terms of attaching it to muscle thats atrophying due to loss of innervation ability. I hope for your wifes sake that I am wrong as well!! However any stim to the area will have some effect, in terms of the actual strength of the contraction I know it increases with increased levels of the e-stim. I do not really know if its as strong as a real contraction (ab workouts). I hope it works out for you, I will ask my professor today (im in a neurology class) and let you know what he says about stimulation of muscle fiber using e-stim and the effects. Either way I dont think its realy studied but I hope to come back with some useful information for you!

kasmith

Awards
hey bro thanks for taking an intrest good looking out cant wait to see what the prof. says.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
What type of hip problem is it and what type of exercises can't she do?

The thing to remember is that the abdominal muscles primary job is STABILIZATION. You don't have to lay on the floor doing a million different types of crunches to work your abdominals. Usually some basic stabilization exercises will do just fine.

She won't "feel the burn" from these exercises but that's not really important anyway. All the burn is is lactic acid build up which doesn't do jack for you anyway.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
hey bro thanks for taking an intrest good looking out cant wait to see what the prof. says.
Ok he said in terms of a direct corralation between e-stim and muscle strength (other than functionality) or hypertrophy has not been established. However he did mention that it is more or less likely that the use of e-stim for muscles that cannot be trained due to injury will retain and possibly keep the strength of those muscles, I am not aware of what type of EMS system u have i couldnt be more specific about the equiptment. He says that it will work for keeping the muscle strength maybe a little strength over long term use. So what he said is definately more positive than what i had thought im glad i asked him! He did say if there was any possible way for her to exercise it is obviously the best but this is a good way to keep the muscle funtional and strength the same. Good lukc I hoped that helped!!!

kasmith

Awards
wow you have really proven to be a real wealth of knowledge thanks slacker

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
wow you have really proven to be a real wealth of knowledge thanks slacker
HAHA well its my major and since I have a professor who is an MD in neuroscience I figured he would be able to answer ur question because we actually went over artificial/extrenal enviromental factors to stimulate muscle spindles/pre and post synaptic terminals for muscle contraction. Hope it helped you out!

kasmith

Awards
well i wont pretend i know what all that sh!t you just said means...lol... but, yes you've been a real help thanks again.