Proper Abs Workout

  1. Registered User
    eballarj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    279
    Answers
    0

    Proper Abs Workout


    I've tried searching fort his, but I'm having difficulty figuring out good search terms to use.

    Like quite a few people I've met, I have a shadow of a six-pack if i flex and "suck in." The thing is, if I am not consciously sucking in, i look like I have a beer belly. I had my bodyfat measured, and I have got readings betw. 13%-15%. But if you looked at my (relaxed) gut, you'd think I was much fatter.

    I've heard this can be from improper ab training. If so, who knows a better way? Or...other remedies to fix it. It's kinda like a mini-version of the GH gut, haha. It's really ugly, that's all I know lol. So any help will be very appreciated!

  2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Urban Monk's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,460
    Answers
    0


    You should cut to under 10%, preferably 8% before judging your abs.
  3. Registered User
    eballarj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    279
    Answers
    0


    well..i understand that, but it still seems odd that my "gut" hangs out so far. I've heard of stomach vacuums. I guess I could start w/ doing those more often. It seems like it has a lot to do with the transverse abdominal or whatever (the muscle that sucks in your gut) being weak? am i right?
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Gutterpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,481
    Answers
    0


    It's probably visceral fat around your organs pushing your abdominal wall out. This is one of the last places to burn fat as it's the first place stored.
  5. Registered User
    eballarj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    279
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    It's probably visceral fat around your organs pushing your abdominal wall out. This is one of the last places to burn fat as it's the first place stored.
    ooooh. makes sense. so i probably won't notice a change until I do some serious cutting, huh?
  6. Registered User
    Joshua86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    408
    Answers
    0


    I always thought abs were the easiest part of the body to develop to the point where you're at least satisfied with they way they look. But then again that's just my opinion.

    Get everything tight and then just drop body fat to the point where you can see them. Now it's a different story if you're wanting maximum development, but that's not my game. As long as I can see mine and they look good, then I'm good to go.

    My motivation for ab training is the ladies
  7. Registered User
    eballarj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    279
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua86 View Post
    I always thought abs were the easiest part of the body to develop to the point where you're at least satisfied with they way they look. But then again that's just my opinion.

    Get everything tight and then just drop body fat to the point where you can see them. Now it's a different story if you're wanting maximum development, but that's not my game. As long as I can see mine and they look good, then I'm good to go.

    My motivation for ab training is the ladies
    well my concern is that one i cut, i will be able to see them, as you say, but i'm afraid that if i'm not flexing or holding them in, my belly will still stick out. I guess i'll just have to see what it's like once i cut
  8. Registered User
    t-bone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    414
    Answers
    0


    There is a quantum difference between 15% and 8% bodyfat. And a huge difference between even 13% and 10%. Get down to a "true" 8-10% and then come back if your gut is still hanging out.
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,145
    Answers
    1


    Its sounds more like stomach distention. It's usually from 2 things: eating too much during your meals, bloating from inadequate fiber/produce consumption, or electrolyte imbalance from too much sodium/not enough potassium.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Registered User
    eballarj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    279
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Its sounds more like stomach distention. It's usually from 2 things: eating too much during your meals, bloating from inadequate fiber/produce consumption, or electrolyte imbalance from too much sodium/not enough potassium.
    I think this is the answer I was fishing for. haha. I'll look into these things in more detail. I think it is more likely fiber/produce and/or sodium/potassium isues more than eating too much at once.

    Am I understanding right that incresed fiber will minimize distension? I assume produce, meaning vegetables, yah?
  11. Registered User
    Legacykid's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    327
    Answers
    0


    Try using a speed rope..idk if its just me but it notice it burns fat right off
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. need some proper help
    By jhlfc18 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
  2. Proper PCT
    By MadeInCanada in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 12:50 AM
  3. Proper PCT
    By boxmeman in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 08:01 PM
  4. proper way to structure a heavy lifting workout?!
    By neverstop in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-16-2007, 05:39 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 09:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in