Anyone use grippers?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I ordered 3 pairs: 100lbs, 150lbs and 200lbs and now i can close the 200lbers 18 times no problem, so i just ordered the 250's,300's,and 350's i also wanna grab the 400 & 500lber's. These things are cool i dunno why but now i'm psyched about getting insane grip strength, my dad is a truck mechanic and i've always been impressed my his grip strength and now i want some freaky hand strength. I'll have to get a video up when i close the 350's. Anyone else use these things?

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I've heard about them and thought about looking into them.. Where did you place an order from?

Ironloo

yea man i also got the 100lb.-300lb. grippers. Your grip strength will get strong very quick if you keep at it i first started 200lb. for one now i close it 30 reps it also helps with deadlifts, shrugs even weighted pullups you will do more reps with exercises where your grip will fail before the actual muscle. It is very well worth it good keep at it consistently and you will be stronger.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
I was just looking into these the other day!! i didn't know where to start.

CHAPS is it worth starting at the 100's or go 150 and above?

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I dont think Ive seen these anywhere, Ive always used the ones you see everywhere they burn out fast. Where can these be found? Anyone got linkage or an addy?

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
on UK ebay there is a brand called "Heavy Grips" by Heavy Sports. They look like good quality.

actually the web site... www.heavygrips.com

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
100 - 350 for $70. Not bad. Gunna cost me a lot more here in the UK.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
You guys can get these from a bunch of sites, some that come to mind are Ironmind, Prowriststraps, and elitefts.
Chaps, have you tried a captain's of crush gripper? Their 200lb gripper feels a lot different than the Heavy Grips ones.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I've heard about them and thought about looking into them.. Where did you place an order from?
i just googled heavy grippers and found a a place in ottawa, I live in Ontario Canada so it was perfect for the states try Ironwoody.com i believe it is.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I was just looking into these the other day!! i didn't know where to start.

CHAPS is it worth starting at the 100's or go 150 and above?
I say get a full set 100-350 so 6 pairs they really aren't that expensive i think all said and done $10 or so for 6 pairs and that was Canadian.

The whole reason to get the 100's and 150's is to warm up you really need to get your hands warm i find, and don't be suprised the pain you feel the first couple times you do these, i mean wrist, hand and forearm pain. As well and the achey soreness you can have a day or two later.

I'm using mine twice a week you get work up to more but i think i'll stick with twice i'm already doing wrist curls, hammer curls, and farmers walks, not to mention back and bicep work.

acoz

acoz

Awards
Rack pull statics no straps gripping I try for a 30 count. I also carry around a racket ball to squeeze. The grippers sound kool a bit on the expensive side A. Fireman's walk is great as well. :numbered:

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Another nice thing about the grippers is you can really gauge the amount of nervous system fatigue you have with them, grip strength is a really good indicator.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
You guys can get these from a bunch of sites, some that come to mind are Ironmind, Prowriststraps, and elitefts.
Chaps, have you tried a captain's of crush gripper? Their 200lb gripper feels a lot different than the Heavy Grips ones.
No i haven't which ones are harder?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Another nice thing about the grippers is you can really gauge the amount of nervous system fatigue you have with them, grip strength is a really good indicator.
This explains why i tried to use them too soon the other day and i got like 5 reps with the 200's and i was pooched i was like WTF? lol Ya apparently you don't wanna over train with them.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This explains why i tried to use them too soon the other day and i got like 5 reps with the 200's and i was pooched i was like WTF? lol Ya apparently you don't wanna over train with them.
HAHA, no you don't. I hate when I get soreness in my forearms and it doesn't go away for a few days.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
The captains of crush are a lot harder, I can barely close the C.o.C 2 but can go to town on a 200# gripper.
Its funny, if you use these the day after a really hard squat workout or something I bet you will be a lot less strong with them as well because of the neural fatigue.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
The captains of crush are a lot harder, I can barely close the C.o.C 2 but can go to town on a 200# gripper.
Its funny, if you use these the day after a really hard squat workout or something I bet you will be a lot less strong with them as well because of the neural fatigue.
LOL you hit it to a T i KILLED my legs the other day ahhh ok so i'm not just being a pussy thanks

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Ok so maybe i'll try and close all the heavy grippers then buy the captains of crush

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards
i have a 300, a 350, and the 400lb.
they are MD gladiator grips.

i can close the 300 a few times.

i am close to closing the 350.

but that 400 pound gripper is something else, the handles are 1 inch steel and are a lot farther apart. they are close to 5" apart at the bottom. i can budge this one by only about a half inch. but i have small hands and the 400 gripper sits in my hand with my fingertips just barely around the front grip. So it is really too big for my hand.

good luck in finding the heavygrips 500lb gripper. i have wanted one and there isn't anywhere that has anymore. Heavy grips only made a few hundred of these about 5 years ago. so you can watch ebay, ect. but they are very rare.

Ether

Awards
I use the captains of crush grippers, I can close the #2 a couple of times. I have not tried any of the other heavy duty grippers out there so I can not compare them. I can say that it is really easy to over train with them leaving your tendons screaming for mercy. It is pretty cool though to watch your buddies struggle to close the one you rep with.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
i have a 300, a 350, and the 400lb.
they are MD gladiator grips.

i can close the 300 a few times.

i am close to closing the 350.

but that 400 pound gripper is something else, the handles are 1 inch steel and are a lot farther apart. they are close to 5" apart at the bottom. i can budge this one by only about a half inch. but i have small hands and the 400 gripper sits in my hand with my fingertips just barely around the front grip. So it is really too big for my hand.

good luck in finding the heavygrips 500lb gripper. i have wanted one and there isn't anywhere that has anymore. Heavy grips only made a few hundred of these about 5 years ago. so you can watch ebay, ect. but they are very rare.
ironwoody has them for sale the 400&500lber's in a 2 pack check it out. And that's some insane grip strength there bro.

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards
ironwoody has them for sale the 400&500lber's in a 2 pack check it out. And that's some insane grip strength there bro.
I had searched everywhere, and WOW i never thought i was going to find the 500lb gripper!!

i am literally buying one right now.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yep four-five years ago got the wal-mart ones. good for grip strength forearms

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
A little update i ALMOST closed the 300lber's, i've got the 250's, 300's amd 350's now :). For those who go to to use these make sure your FULL body is recovered from working out as mentioned above it really does show how fatigued your cns is. Also make sure to really warm up i'll start with the 100's and work my way up till i attempt the 300's otherwise i seem to get an achy wrist pain.

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards
I had searched everywhere, and WOW i never thought i was going to find the 500lb gripper!!

i am literally buying one right now.

The 500lb gripper came in the mail today.

interesting, i figured it would be just like my 400lb md gladiator grip but with larger spring. The springs are both the same 9mm thickness but this 500 pounder has the handles much closer together. my hands are strong but they are small/average sized in length, ect. although they are so thick that they look like they are swollen up from some infectious snakebite. The 400lb MD gladiator has it's handles so far apart that you really need to have huge hands to be able to hold it somewhat comfortably, and it feels nothing like the 350, it feels 3 times as hard. SO i really think that there isn't much standardization in the way that these springs are measured for torque, hence the variation from brand to brand. anyway the handles on this gripper are chrome plated and i really like the looks of it.

I like to train with stuff that looks hard and cold, solid steel and chrome, ect. Think medievil and chains and crazy viking stuff. This gripper fits into that sort of classification. It looks tough, like something that is used to punish. so mentally i feel i can push a little harder and enjoy it. I am describing something like the difference between training with some vinyl coated dumbell that looks like a toy, or a cold handled solid iron hex.

I can crunch the 500lb about half way. so one day i will actually be able to close it:)

People say that the captains of crush are a lot harder, at a local place i tried out a number 2. It wasnt hard. I would say that they are a small amount tougher than what you would expect from the heavygrips, but still a trivial amount. other than that the COC are built with a slightly higher quality finish, just looks but their cost is around twice that of the heavygrips. I think that the MD gladiators are the cheapest, 9.99 a piece is good for me.

I'm very happy with this thing.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I tried the deadlift after taking a longg time off doing them due to injury(still not sure I can do them but) my best max is 415

did 275 with over 5 x's over/over

could only do 315 once over/over and said screw it and did over/under(even though I didnt want to use this grip and pumped it out 5 x's)

My goal is over/over all the time.

Working on the grippers should help this no?

whats everyones max dead on here over/over(not under/over or over/under)?

mine over/over seems to be 315 which i need some over/over grip improvement asap!

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I use the WArren Tetting grippers from Nutrition Geeks...I like em...