Plyometrics and muscle damage? How is plyometric training for putting on size?

GOTSPEED

Awards
How do plyometrics stack up against heavy strength training as far as muscle damage goes? Are there any studies regarding this topic? Is there a possibility that plyometric training is better for hypertrophy than heavy strength training?

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I gotta tell you I have been doing a ton of upper body plyos and no lifting and I am gaining better quality mass then I ever did before. I seem to be more dense and tight/ripped (part of it is the extra energy expenditure). Muscles seem fuller and harder. Plus the strength is way more functional. This was kind of an experiment for me but I have to say that it is working out great and exactly as planned. I would support a comprehensive plyo workout for building size and staying functional.

Mr.50

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
dude u need to talk to mi track coach.
exsplosive type/ powerfull lifts r wayyyy better to build muscle, just look at olympic sprinters ther rippd and they do hella plyometrics
look at westside training alot of plyos in there lifts
incorpreating plyos can build a more athelic type build, and ull be as fst or as stronge as u look.

touchdownthirty

touchdownthirty

Awards
i like incorporating plyo's into my routine. i'm not a bodybuilder by any stretch but i do like to lift heavy. i just train to be explosive, quick, strong, and powerful like an athlete--but i'm not an athlete lol. plyo's have been great for my leg strength and i can really load up the leg press now and bust 'em out, for example. also, plyo pushups and shoulder work have really aided my bench. i haven't been in a caloric surplus, though, so i haven't gained weight (which is ok for my particular goals). pretty soon i'll be bulking but i'll definitely keep doing plyo's.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
The best way to trigger hypertrophy is still the bodybuilder way with high volume. Plyometrics will shift that away to more dense, smaller muscles that are more efficient and capable of generating more force.

touchdownthirty

touchdownthirty

Awards
The best way to trigger hypertrophy is still the bodybuilder way with high volume. Plyometrics will shift that away to more dense, smaller muscles that are more efficient and capable of generating more force.
he is right--otherwise you'd see jay and ronnie doing box jumps and jumping lunges! for overall performance i love plyos and i only incorporate them into my routine for functionality and performance. they can be used for hypertrophy but just like wearebleedblue said, it's not the most effective way to do that.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I think it's important to utilize various training methods rather than just sticking with one. Personally I enjoy doing power movements while still doing some isolation work to round out the physique and make sure every muscle gets worked through a full range at some point. But for maximum strength/mass, I agree you have to go hard and heavy. I can only imagine that plyos would help, but they burn so much energy, if you're bulking you'd have to make up for it with diet.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Plyos do not burn a lot of energy. If done right, they shouldn't even make you winded or fatigued. You do plyos to work speed, not endurance or strength. I'm thinking you guys have a different idea of what plyometrics really are.

Plyometrics are used for explosiveness. Not for raw strength or mass. Also, hard and heavy again isn't going to produce the most muscular physique. Again this is why olympic/professional athletes aren't nearly as massive as their bodybuilding brethren. To get large, you have to lift large volume. Yeah some methods may work better for you but its most likely due to a change in regimen, not that method actually producing more mass gains.

If you're going to refute, please cite some kind of evidence other than it worked for you or your buddy or whatever please.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Plyos do not burn a lot of energy. If done right, they shouldn't even make you winded or fatigued. You do plyos to work speed, not endurance or strength. I'm thinking you guys have a different idea of what plyometrics really are.

Plyometrics are used for explosiveness. Not for raw strength or mass. Also, hard and heavy again isn't going to produce the most muscular physique. Again this is why olympic/professional athletes aren't nearly as massive as their bodybuilding brethren. To get large, you have to lift large volume. Yeah some methods may work better for you but its most likely due to a change in regimen, not that method actually producing more mass gains.

If you're going to refute, please cite some kind of evidence other than it worked for you or your buddy or whatever please.

I guess this is correct. I prefer the type of "mass" development I get from plyo's in that there is a bit of lbm gain with a greater amount of density and performance associated. This way my physique looks much better and I am, in fact, able to perform the way I might be expected to from my appearance. I have been really big at times (5'8'', 225 with 8%, my opinion that was big) and I was strong in the gym but not in realy life and no wheres near as strong in real life functions as it seemed I should have been for my size.

I guess part of it is a redefinition of what I want out of my physique as I get older.

Overall I would say a combination of plyos and regular weight training in an organized fashion is probably the best for most athletes not just guys wanting to look massive. Read "explosive Power & Strength" by Chu. Good book on complex training.

Mr.50

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, plyos will shift to greater myofibrils with less sarcoplasma, leading to more "dense" muscles but overall mass will not really increase versus a regular routine.