Mind Muscle Connection in Pecs - AnabolicMinds.com

Mind Muscle Connection in Pecs

  1. New Member
    Kc2554's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    157

    Reputation

    Mind Muscle Connection in Pecs


    Chest has always been a weak point for me. I have the worst mind muscle connection. I have done almost every exercise that I can think of or read about, but never FEEL the muscle working.

    People have told me to "squeeze" the pecs at the top of the concentric portion of the exercises, but thats my problem....the pecs barely contract! I have gotten a pump maybe once or twice in my life.

    Any advice on how to gain control of the chest muscles?

  2. New Member
    Lacradocious's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    34
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    284

    Reputation

    If you have done it once or twice, you can do it again. Try doing HEAVY incline dumbel presses. 1 set of 10, 2 sets of 8, and 1 or 2 sets of 6. Keep your chest flexed throughout the motion. I go down slow and controlled, pause at the bottom, and push the weight back up explosively without locking out the elbows. I do these after flat bench and do 3-4 sets of cable crossovers right after. I get a really good pump from this, but I think I have decent genetics in this area. I have a hard time getting the mind / muscle connection in my delts for some reason.

    Try what I suggested with the Incline dumbell presses and let me know if that works for you.
  3. New Member
    Sinon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    178

    Reputation

    Dude. I have that same problem with my back. I don't know what the hell to do

    Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Kc2554's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    157

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacradocious View Post
    If you have done it once or twice, you can do it again. Try doing HEAVY incline dumbel presses. 1 set of 10, 2 sets of 8, and 1 or 2 sets of 6. Keep your chest flexed throughout the motion. I go down slow and controlled, pause at the bottom, and push the weight back up explosively without locking out the elbows. I do these after flat bench and do 3-4 sets of cable crossovers right after. I get a really good pump from this, but I think I have decent genetics in this area. I have a hard time getting the mind / muscle connection in my delts for some reason.

    Try what I suggested with the Incline dumbell presses and let me know if that works for you.
    Have you tried lateral side raises with your arms NOT straight, with the dumbells out in front of you? At the top put your pinky higher than your thumb, liek your pouring water.

    Watch Ronnie:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsshzXy1swo"]YouTube - Ronnie Coleman: The Unbelievable (Shoulder Workout)[/ame]

    Of course he swings, but he has an excellent connection like no other.
  5. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,991
    Rep Power
    917959

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    For chest, imagine that you are contracting the pecs to force your elbows to move. Speaking from just proximity, the elbows are far more important to focus on than the wrists. The same goes for the lats, focus on pulling with your elbows and to keep your wrists completely parallel with your elbows.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Senior Member
    lonewolf0420's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,314
    Rep Power
    1678

    Reputation

    Drop the amount of weight your lifting. Going with lighter weight, focus on contracting the pecs with slow, controlled movements. Let the pecs do all the work. You may not like dropping the poundage, but you will learn that mind muscle connection. Not to mention, over a few weeks you will probably notice a little growth, and fullness in the muscle.
  7. New Member
    Kc2554's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    157

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinon View Post
    Dude. I have that same problem with my back. I don't know what the hell to do

    Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
    Sinon, my best mind muscle connection is probably in my lats. I suggest you should use straps on the lat pulldown. My hands/forearms were taking the the brunt of the exercise for the longest time.

    The real key for me is letting the lats really stretch at the top. Let your shoulders raise up, so your scapula spreads. This will give you the feeling you are looking for.

    Again, Ronnie is a real good example. I think it was actually this video that turned the light on in my head about how the exercise is supposed to be performed. Watch how Ronnie really spreads his scapula and stretches his lats at the top.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcP-f7XbzFc"]YouTube - Ronnie Coleman: Back Workout The Real Mr O.[/ame]
  8. New Member
    Kc2554's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    157

    Reputation

    Thank you all for your suggestions. I have tried light weight, heavy weight, dips, close grip, wide gripe, medium grip, slow pace, fast pace, singles, 100 reps, push-ups, PERFECT PUSH-UP for crying out loud, incline push-ups, decline push-ups, elbows in, elbows 90 degrees, dumbells with all the wrist roatations, deep flys, shallow flys, flys going towards my feet, pec dec, machine presses, crossovers, etc, etc, etc.

    I really have tried everything I can think of or read about.

    Building my chest was one of the reasons I bought a weight set for the garage. I wanted to practice my form more. I just cant make the chest contract the way it needs to in order to produce growth.

    Lol, I even sent Charles Glass an email asking him for advice. He actually called me. Real nice guy...told me to do push-ups with my feet raised and squeeze at the top.
  9. Senior Member
    futurepilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,217
    Rep Power
    1286

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc2554 View Post
    Chest has always been a weak point for me. I have the worst mind muscle connection. I have done almost every exercise that I can think of or read about, but never FEEL the muscle working.

    People have told me to "squeeze" the pecs at the top of the concentric portion of the exercises, but thats my problem....the pecs barely contract! I have gotten a pump maybe once or twice in my life.

    Any advice on how to gain control of the chest muscles?
    My best advice is to actually use the muscle your working. Dont lock out on bench or DB press, the top 1/3 of any bench exercise uses alot of delts.
    try benching like this, see how it changes your contraction/soreness.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrYprk3vReo&feature=re lated"]YouTube - ronnie coleman chest[/ame]
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Lost my mind-muscle connection
    By Boatcop1 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 07:33 PM
  2. The Mind-Muscle Connection
    By Nelson in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-22-2003, 05:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in