What Kind of Progress Have You Made?

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I like to hear progress stories. I like to see people setting goals and surpassing them. Somehow hearing about people's good training progress is motivating and fun.

6 months ago the most I could Deadlift was 115 lbs. I've gained a lot of strength these past 6 months, and just yesterday I was able to lift 230 lbs, when I was only aiming for 225.

So, what kind of training progress have you made? Let's hear about it! :)

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I like to hear progress stories. I like to see people setting goals and surpassing them. Somehow hearing about people's good training progress is motivating and fun.

6 months ago the most I could Deadlift was 115 lbs. I've gained a lot of strength these past 6 months, and just yesterday I was able to lift 230 lbs, when I was only aiming for 225.

So, what kind of training progress have you made? Let's hear about it! :)
well, i was 134 when i graduated high school in 1994. when i joined the army in 1995 i was 117 lbs. i've been skinny my whole life, but 130-135 is where my body wanted to stay at. in 2005, i had gotten down to 126, and my friends thought i looked unhealthy - meaning if i got sick, i'd be dead.

finally i decided to do something about it. i started going to the gym, and capped off at 151 lbs. this was the last straw for me - i still barely looked "normal" much less someone that went to the gym.

i started dialing my diet in, and switched over to total body workouts 3x per week. i managed to get to 175 lbs from doing this.

still, not enough for me, but i felt i had my diet locked down, my training locked down, and having gained roughly 40% of my "base weight" naturally, i decided it was time to experiment with "additional supplements".

here i am at 187, and i've never looked back. given my small frame, 200 lbs will be the most my joints could take, but that's a huge jump from the 126 i was just a few years back.

its funny in looking back, because not only of where i was, but that in my years of lifting, i've realized i played it right, and that was by luck only. food and training is the end-all-be-all of the equation till you hit your bodies natural potential.

enclosed is three pics of me - one at 126, one at 175 (pre my first cycle), one at 187 :)

187 lbs

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That is some amazing progress! Way to push yourself! :thumbsup:

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
August PR's
Rack pulls 275 x 3
Bench 185 x 1
Squat 255 x 1

Now
Deadlift 405 x 1
Bench 225 x 2,1,1
Squat 315 x 3

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I started off weighing 130lbs @ 21 years old. By the time I turned 23 I weighed 170lbs. I'm currently tetering around 160lbs.

The biggest motivation for my came from hardships I had to endure; and channel that into my training. The times in my life where I've been the biggest and strongest were the most stressful, lol.

It's good though, even though I'm not as strong or big as I was before, I can still tap into that motivation, which after a brief layoff the past few months, I'm doing again. yay

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Great! Thanks guys for posting up your progress! :)

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
before the log!(picture taken for log application!)215lbs.

start of the log pic!220lbs.

after!(after log pic)232lbs.(altogether putting on a total of 12lbs.)

good thread babywifey!

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
160 to 200 in two years, pushing for 25 more in the next 18 months. I'm 5'9"

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
use to weigh 240 lbs. were not talking a jacked bro either. were talking a marshmellow bro. now i weigh about 188 the lowest i have weighed was 183. and you can see my picture its my avatar : )

dpfisher

I weighed 195 2 years ago with NO muscle. Literally, I sat down all day and never did anything. I had no strength although my wide shoulders and ribcage made me look like I did I guess. I got down to about 150 while gaining strength, so that should illustrate how little muscle I had. Currently I'm about 170 and 15% fat, maybe a little less. I never really had any goals, I just love lifting.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
A few years ago I was a skinny, weak 160 pounder. I remember trying to bench 155 and needing a spot to get it up for 1 rep. So I got serious about lifting and got up to 190 with no added body fat, and my 3 rep max was 295. I feel more comfortable where Im now at about 180 and my 3 rep max is probably somewhere around 250.

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
A few years ago I was a skinny, weak 160 pounder. I remember trying to bench 155 and needing a spot to get it up for 1 rep. So I got serious about lifting and got up to 190 with no added body fat, and my 3 rep max was 295. I feel more comfortable where Im now at about 180 and my 3 rep max is probably somewhere around 250.
Hey now, I'm 150 in weight at 5'11 and I'm not exactly weak. I can get 175 for 8 reps on bench, so weight isn't everything. I know I'm not too strong either, but it's very possible to weigh under 160 and bench more than 155. I'm sorry the skinny coment I let get to me lol.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey now, I'm 150 in weight at 5'11 and I'm not exactly weak. I can get 175 for 8 reps on bench, so weight isn't everything. I know I'm not too strong either, but it's very possible to weigh under 160 and bench more than 155. I'm sorry the skinny coment I let get to me lol.
You are right, weight doesn't always determine someones strength. Maverick was even a bit heavier than you but weaker than you. He probably had more fat, less muscle than you do. :)

Good for you being able to push that much weight, btw!

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Sorry. Didnt mean to strike the nerve. :)

I wasnt completely weak, just in the gym lifts because I never focused on them. I could do 27-30 quality pull ups and over 100 legit push ups without pause. I could run 3 miles in 18 minutes. But thats all because I was a Marine and thats what we did ALL the time. I wasnt saying that you cant be strong at a lighter weight, just that I felt like a chump in the gym.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Whenever I hear someone reference 160lbers as weak I only say two words: Brian Schwab

YouTube - Brian Schwab 148 lb. Class Raw Unity Meet

I suffered a knee injury about 5 years ago and have since started getting into the squat. I couldn't go to parallel with any amount of substantial weight because my left leg was too weak and my right was over compensating. I measured my depth with the safety bars on the squat rack starting at level 6 (6th hole from the bottom). I quickly moved down to Level 5 and then last January I came back from winter break and accidentally went down to level 4 without even realizing it. Level 4 is parallel or somewhat lower than parallel for me. The weight hadn't changed that much when I moved down in depth but each move was about 3" so I think of it as considerable.

I've been stuck with a max of 315 for about a year but I recently broke through it with a new program I made for myself so I'm really excited.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Thats strong as hell. I think his lack of height may be helping some though, those spotters look like giants. haha.

But he's still ridiculously strong!

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Thats strong as hell. I think his lack of height may be helping some though, those spotters look like giants. haha.

Yes, he is shorter than the average man, somewhere between 5'3 and 5'5. I'm sure it gives him advantages over guys with longer limbs but no excuses, pound4pound this guy is ****ing awesome.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
this summer i was deadlifting 325 in june.. started doing good mornings and deadlifting sets of 3 working up to a one rep max.. and in begining of november i pulled 405 =)

OBB Kingpin

Awards

Thanks for the props MoTiV!

Maverick, yeah I'm short but the guy you're referring to who is spotting in the first two squats is a giant. He's Orlando Barbell's own Mike Lacombe who is 6'7" and weighs 255. You can find a picture of him on my elitefts training log with some of the other team members on my 1/8/09 post (I'm not allowed to post links on here yet). The guy standing right next to him is 6'.

Stay strong,

Brian

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Back when I was 38, I looked down at my belly and said.... I can't see what hangs beneath it :icon16: So I decided to go on a strict diet and start working out.... I was 5'7 @ 182-185 lbs 24%bf..... During the first 6-7 months I just dieted and did very little cardio.... I dropped down to about 156lbs... Then I bought a weight bench, weights and a few other goodies and have been going full bore for the past 5 years.... Now I have a decent home gym....I have a couple (oral) cycles under my belt and today I'm just under 185 lbs @ 9% bf.... I just started my first test-e cycle kicked started with 4 weeks of M1T and enjoying it very much.... I would love to see 200lbs @ 9-10% bf..... Thats my goal for now.
I've also bulked and cut a few time in the past..... If I find my 32's starting to get to tight, I'll cut for a few weeks till they get loose again.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Hey don't worry i'm 150lbs and i can 4x8 db bench with 95lbs

My last chest workout
I got Flat Bench 3x3 225lbs and then 3x6 195lbs
and Leg Presses were 2x6 and 2x8 450lbs and 2x8 475lbs and 1x4 500lbs

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
I am 5'6" and used to weigh 140 about 7 years ago. I've taken my time and started doing martial arts at that point in time. As my body started to mature, I slowly put on some size, but sometimes not always good due to the fact that injuries would put me out for weeks or months on end from training. I started to get into weight training about a year ago, because I got injured training for an amatuer fight (MMA) and just got sick of doing nothing for months on end. I was about 175, 17% bodyfat. When I was able to hold onto weights finally, I initially dropped 20lbs very fast as I was doing cardio 4-5 days a week along with lifting for 4 days a week. At this point I was approx 12% bf and got back into martial arts since I was healed up.

A few months later I was down to 150, 9% but got injured once again in May 2008. I was sidelined with partially torn ligaments in my forearm, and then also my MCL was damaged. I couldn't start lifting again until September, where I was back up to 170. After about a month I was back down to 155, but instead of training martial arts, I started focusing on teaching them, and continued lifting. After the last 6 months, I'm at 165, 12%bf, and I am strong as an ox! 540lb leg press for 9-10 reps, 185lb incline bench for 12 reps, and I don't have a problem hip tossing a 270lb man when teaching to my students.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I used to be 242 with a 42" waist...in the more recent pic I was 218@ ~14% Sorry the pic isnt bigger...thats the best I got while Im here at work...

Attachments

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
you have made a very noticeable change! :thumbsup:

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Back when I was 38, I looked down at my belly and said.... I can't see what hangs beneath it :icon16: So I decided to go on a strict diet and start working out.... I was 5'7 @ 182-185 lbs 24%bf..... During the first 6-7 months I just dieted and did very little cardio.... I dropped down to about 156lbs... Then I bought a weight bench, weights and a few other goodies and have been going full bore for the past 5 years.... Now I have a decent home gym....I have a couple (oral) cycles under my belt and today I'm just under 185 lbs @ 9% bf.... I just started my first test-e cycle kicked started with 4 weeks of M1T and enjoying it very much.... I would love to see 200lbs @ 9-10% bf..... Thats my goal for now.
I've also bulked and cut a few time in the past..... If I find my 32's starting to get to tight, I'll cut for a few weeks till they get loose again.
That's a nice story Jim. Never too late to start ;)

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I used to be 242 with a 42" waist...in the more recent pic I was 218@ ~14% Sorry the pic isnt bigger...thats the best I got while Im here at work...
I see a little ab definition. Everyone's fat distribution differs, but my guess would have been more like 11-12% BF. Good job :thumbsup:

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm pretty proud of the progress I've made so far...