Functional Fitness over just being big...

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Even though I wouldn't mind just being enormous I have sometimes considered taking a different approach to training and eating. More the route of functional instead of just large. Just wondering what some peoples thoughts are on this. I mean there is no way Jay Cutler can run or even wipe his own ass even though his physique is impressive.

I started thinking about this when I saw a Lance Armstrong on the cover of a magazine and then I saw a bodybuilding magazine and I couldn't help but think about how much better shape Lance is in compared to a bodybuilder. Even though the bodybuilders physiqe is impressive to look at. Most girls I talk to aren't even attracted to the large bulky physiques anyway. They want a guy who is in shape. DISCUSS!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I get that same feeling every now and again, it really gets to be a pain in the @ss to be bulky sometimes. I can't find any pants that fit right, I spend more money on food than on my rent and bills, I am uncomfortable at most places, etc.....
BUT there is no better feeling in the hitting a big total in a meet.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I decided I was too big when I had trouble reaching across my body to grab the seatbelt.

SFW

SFW

Awards
I'm totally with you here man. I'm over just being the biggest guy in a room. I want to be able to do **** when it needs to be done. I would like to compete in a BB comp one day but i have no desire to be Mr. O.

I'm actually beginning a new training style this coming week. Its kind of a cross between powerlifting and athletic training. It's called "West Side for Skinny Bastards." Ever heard of it?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I'm totally with you here man. I'm over just being the biggest guy in a room. I want to be able to do **** when it needs to be done. I would like to compete in a BB comp one day but i have no desire to be Mr. O.

I'm actually beginning a new training style this coming week. Its kind of a cross between powerlifting and athletic training. It's called "West Side for Skinny Bastards." Ever heard of it?
Yeah! I was actually planning on doing that after my current routine.

I am by no means BIG but I have gained 12 pounds since I started and I just can't imagine putting on another 20 pounds.

When it comes down to it I think although a bodybuilder looks impressive I would almost rather be in extremely good shape then just LARGE since it's easier and healthier. It is difficult eating as much as I need to. Going to the gym and working out is the easy part.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Im not gonna lie, a big guy with mass is more impressive to me than some skinny ripped guy. ( A big guy in the sense of bodybuilding, not fat.) Im not the biggest guy in the world buy I enjoy having more mass than the average guy,.... and not being one out of the 50 guys at my college gym coming in doing only cardio, bench, and curls and staring at their abs in the mirror. I also enjoy the fact that the fruits of my labor are visible through any size shirt , versus having to take it off or wear a wife beater in the gym like all the skinny mofos do in my gym,... just to show off their "bulging" bi's to the girls on the treadmills. I agree with all of you on the points made above,.... and I would never want to be jay cutlers size but any means,... but my final goal is a very aesthetic- proportioned body; a mix between frank zane and arnold. I think at this day and time,..... a goal like that is more attainable by the time i reach 28-30,..... then ever being a ripped 250lb man. Also,.... I agree with the comment that not "alot" of girls like really big guys,.... but on the other hand I dont work out or have the goal of competing in at least one show before I die b/c of anyone else's opinion but my own. And If i didnt want "some kind" of mass,..... I also wouldnt be on AM.:)

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Having a large amount of mass doesn't necessarily make one non-functional, there are several factors to take into account.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I've made the switch to functional over size a few years ago. I've always had a hard time keeping weight, highest I ever got was 190lb and I felt fat and slow. I realized the goals I had set for myself revolved more about bodyweight to power ratio. I'm not impressed with anyone unless they lift (with proper form) 2.5x their bodyweight on DL and Squat and 2x on bench. My goals right now are 3x on DL and 2.5x on Squat. Guys who spend all their time on their upper body which is very common in my college gym although they are more defined then me and usually bigger on top don't really impress me too much. I'll go back to a bodybuilder type workout when I'm older and stop lifting heavy. I don't see why most guys in their 20s workout like that.

I'd also love to be spending time doing tire flips and sled pulls and stuff like that but I don't have access to that stuff.

I view the gym as a place to go and workout because I don't have the time or access to do what I really want to do right now which is rock climb, skiing, kayaking, and stuff like that. Once I can start doing that stuff I won't be spending a lot of time in the gym except for coming in and doing the big lifts. Unless your a pro/amateur bodybuilder or lifter than I don't see a reason for spending a lot of time in the gym unless you don't have time or the means to do other stuff.

Also, as far as big guys being functional one guy that comes to mind is Brock Lesnar, you can't dispute his athleticism. Guys like that are few and far between and usually start developing their athleticism really early on in their life. I think most people have athletic ability that they can excel at, but for some reason, especially in the USA, everyone is caught up and envious of the big strong guys. It's kind of weird because there are so many other aspects of athleticism. Personally, I'd rather be like Bruce Lee than say a Brock Lesnar, but that's me.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Even though I wouldn't mind just being enormous I have sometimes considered taking a different approach to training and eating. More the route of functional instead of just large. Just wondering what some peoples thoughts are on this. I mean there is no way Jay Cutler can run or even wipe his own ass even though his physique is impressive.

I started thinking about this when I saw a Lance Armstrong on the cover of a magazine and then I saw a bodybuilding magazine and I couldn't help but think about how much better shape Lance is in compared to a bodybuilder. Even though the bodybuilders physiqe is impressive to look at. Most girls I talk to aren't even attracted to the large bulky physiques anyway. They want a guy who is in shape. DISCUSS!

you can be pretty big and functional maybe not competion big but i've fought in MMA for the last 10 years and I've trained with some people who were pretty big and they still retained all their functionality cardio etc. When guy i trained with x ufc fighter eugene jackson he fought at 185lbs and was about 5ft 7 with abs he looked BIG in person and could still do five minute rounds

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
For girls, everyone is different. I've put on good size, and I get way more attention now because of my build then I did before, even though my cardio was much better. Also, I never see anyone get as much play as my best friend who is 5'11 and 250, I've heard girls say that they are into the skinnier more athletic guys, then either me or my buddy end up hooking up with them 8/10 times.

I'm not trying to get too much larger than what I am, but I am trying to stay proportionate, that way I am not over the top. I feel better the bigger I get, but I also look trimmer the more size I put on as well, and well, the numbers on the weights going up is also fun as well!

lamboruns

Awards
those actors in the movie 300 to me were the perfect blend of size and fuction.....

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
To me, bodybuilding is just that... Building your body. Not everyone has the same goals. For instance, one guy might just want to look better when he hits the beach, while another guy might want to become as large as possible. One guy might want to focus on being healthy as possible, one might be training for a certain look, or any number of different reasons. You have to find your goals, and go for them. Personally, if someone said they could magically give me the body of one of those massive bodybuilders, along with a million dollars, I'd turn it down. Or in other words, you couldn't pay me to look like that. I have other interests in mind. So yeah, having different goals is great! It's what makes people unique. Do what you want to do!! :D

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
some chick at work told me my shoulder was almost as big as her head.

chuffed

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
some chick at work told me my shoulder was almost as big as her head.

chuffed
hahaha,.... i get the " you got bigger boobs then me" comment from all the flat chested girls.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
For girls, everyone is different. I've put on good size, and I get way more attention now because of my build then I did before, even though my cardio was much better. Also, I never see anyone get as much play as my best friend who is 5'11 and 250, I've heard girls say that they are into the skinnier more athletic guys, then either me or my buddy end up hooking up with them 8/10 times.

I'm not trying to get too much larger than what I am, but I am trying to stay proportionate, that way I am not over the top. I feel better the bigger I get, but I also look trimmer the more size I put on as well, and well, the numbers on the weights going up is also fun as well!

lol- when will guys learn not to listen to what a girl will TELL YOU..
If the is into a build, you will know it. If she is telling you she doesn't dig an obvious display of man power (lol) then she's into you becasue she knows other women ARE,.. or is trying to come off like she's NOT AS interested in you (all her views subject to change daily as usual, and especially come their special time of the month. Sure, skinny guys 20 out of 30 days of the month,..) OR, she's indifferent, and she just likes you for you. sometimes that can be a little annoying; you come back home swole from the gym, tear the beater off thats stuck to your body and even get a "Damn" from your self when you pass the mirror; and not so much as a coment from here- like she wouldn't have told you someone wrote "*******" accross your forehead when you went to sleep,. I digress

Now I'm not sure I'm at the point you guys are talking about with no being "functional", and I havent seen myself geting much bigger any time recently, at 5' 7", 186. I'm not a giant mass monster, but under a shirt you know there's horsepower (insert corney grunts here)

I think if I got to a large enough size I would be left with simply maintaining or cutting.. Kinda takes the "struggle" away from it all imo.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
hahaha,.... i get the " you got bigger boobs then me" comment from all the flat chested girls.
yeah i get that too lol. "You've got celvage now!"

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
yeah i get that too lol. "You've got celvage now!"
lol if shes ugly and a bitch my reply:
" oh well im overcompensating for your lack there of...."

if shes fairly attractive:
" really? I try,..." followed by a few chest twitches,..... and a smile,.... lol

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
lol- when will guys learn not to listen to what a girl will TELL YOU..
If the is into a build, you will know it. If she is telling you she doesn't dig an obvious display of man power (lol) then she's into you becasue she knows other women ARE,.. or is trying to come off like she's NOT AS interested in you (all her views subject to change daily as usual, and especially come their special time of the month. Sure, skinny guys 20 out of 30 days of the month,..) OR, she's indifferent, and she just likes you for you. sometimes that can be a little annoying; you come back home swole from the gym, tear the beater off thats stuck to your body and even get a "Damn" from your self when you pass the mirror; and not so much as a coment from here- like she wouldn't have told you someone wrote "*******" accross your forehead when you went to sleep,. I digress

Now I'm not sure I'm at the point you guys are talking about with no being "functional", and I havent seen myself geting much bigger any time recently, at 5' 7", 186. I'm not a giant mass monster, but under a shirt you know there's horsepower (insert corney grunts here)

I think if I got to a large enough size I would be left with simply maintaining or cutting.. Kinda takes the "struggle" away from it all imo.

So true, it's funny, but I am a bit of an a-hole sometimes, which for some reason works even better.... makes no sense when they are sitting there talking to their "girlfreinds" saying how they want to meet a nice guy, and here I'm telling her highlights make her look like a skunk, then a couple hourse later my mangina is getting a mouth hug from her.....women.......haha.

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
you can be pretty big and functional maybe not competion big but i've fought in MMA for the last 10 years and I've trained with some people who were pretty big and they still retained all their functionality cardio etc. When guy i trained with x ufc fighter eugene jackson he fought at 185lbs and was about 5ft 7 with abs he looked BIG in person and could still do five minute rounds

Eugene is a good sized dude, watched him fight Joe Riggs, great fight I will say!

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
I just want to be of a size and functional ability that won't hinder my ability to perform my job. I could do with losing a few pounds but i'd rather be a strong 6"1 and 250 than a ripped 6"1 and 170. I don't get much trouble if i'm out having a few drinks either :grumpy:

purebred

i really like this topic for convo. I'd like to think any training i engage in will contribute and transfer over to real life strength and aid me in any other lifting i might do. whether it's garden work or moving furniture. i wouldn't want to be big and look stronger than i really am. it's like false advertising. at one point, when i get into more advanced stages of my training, that i can have brute force and an abundance of power at my disposal in times of need. considering I'd like to become a police officer in the near future, I'm sure real life strength gained from my strength training will come in handy!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
functional fitness is very important IMO - real world strength (moving a couch, granite tabletop etc) is a very cool thing. you can supplement your workout with an olympic lift day - clean and press, snatch, etc. to help your muscles work in harmony.

though that won't give you big pecs, huge legs, etc. a combination of both is the most desirable thing IMO. that puts you on the level of MMA fighters, moving company workers, and navy seals - using everything you've got to accomplish a mission. you could dedicate one week out of the month for olympic lifts, or just try them one day a week like i try and do.

purebred

functional fitness is very important IMO - real world strength (moving a couch, granite tabletop etc) is a very cool thing. you can supplement your workout with an olympic lift day - clean and press, snatch, etc. to help your muscles work in harmony.

though that won't give you big pecs, huge legs, etc. a combination of both is the most desirable thing IMO. that puts you on the level of MMA fighters, moving company workers, and navy seals - using everything you've got to accomplish a mission. you could dedicate one week out of the month for olympic lifts, or just try them one day a week like i try and do.
your post reminds me of the concept "train movements, not bodyparts."
+1

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I prefer functional fitness as opposed to bodybuilding which is why I do a lot of crossfit. However, I still do your traditional bodybuilding lifts or whatever you want to call it as well. I mix things up quite a bit that way. I also run, swim, bike, and climb quite a bit, but since I'm in DC those last things have decreased quite a bit. It's just too damn cold for a California boy. Suncloud mentioned training that puts you on the level as MMA, Seals etc. That's my goal being in the military.

I'm glad everyone here in this thread is speaking their opinions and not bashing others. You get those that there way has to be the way and it just start sucking is all.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
when i was routinely (2x per week) doing olympic lifts/total body, etc something weird happened :

my 4 year old son was running by me, as i was walking. i quickly realized he was going to trip on my feet, but instead of stopping, i picked him up and put him over my shoulder. then i stopped in shock.

how in the heck did i manage to pick up a running kid and place him on my shoulder without breaking stride? i mean, my legs weren't positioned close together, i hadn't even stopped walking.... wtf over?

that's when i realized the difference between being in shape, and being fit. having that kind of coordination, having your muscle stabilizers able to react and work together is something that is highly underrated - unless you play sports or your life depends on it :)

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
when i was routinely (2x per week) doing olympic lifts/total body, etc something weird happened :

my 4 year old son was running by me, as i was walking. i quickly realized he was going to trip on my feet, but instead of stopping, i picked him up and put him over my shoulder. then i stopped in shock.

how in the heck did i manage to pick up a running kid and place him on my shoulder without breaking stride? i mean, my legs weren't positioned close together, i hadn't even stopped walking.... wtf over?

that's when i realized the difference between being in shape, and being fit. having that kind of coordination, having your muscle stabilizers able to react and work together is something that is highly underrated - unless you play sports or your life depends on it :)
I couldn't agree more.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Lots of awesome opinions here. If I was to change my approach I would certainly not stop lifting. If my main goal is to gain weight cardio makes it even harder. I do sprints now and then but I miss running.

I lift mainly for myself but I'd be lying if I said that I am not partially doing it to attract women. Look at a guy like David Beckam...I don't know a single girl who wouldn't bang him. He really is not muscular at all. Just a small point.

Excellent example suncloud. That's what I am talking about. Just being in great shape. The body working together in unison.

My main reason for considering a change is because I am returning to school and I will not have much time to cook,go to the gym,eat a lot. I could easily run or do total body workouts here and there and snack often. Eating as much as I need to is almost as exhausting as working out.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As far as running goes, dedicated sprinters for the most part do just as well as runners even at distances

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
I would perfer gokus physique over nappas.

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920