Crossfit Discussion

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
So I came across this style of training called Crossfit which is very intriging to me. I think I am going to change up my routine in the next week or so to follow Crossfit. Basically it is super badass timed circuit training. I would like to learn more about it from anyone who is a current crossfitter, so please chime in if you are well versed on this topic... I would like this to be the "Official Crossfit" thread wher we can discuss different workouts and excercises and share results.

Here are some ideas for my upcoming workouts:

*Deadlift 5x5x5x5x5 with 10 burpees between sets (without rest)
*Squat & Press alternated with pullups 15x10x8 each (without rest)
*Overhead Squat alternated with Dips 15x10x8 each (without rest)
*Stand under pullup bar and jump up and do a pullup and drop down and do a push up then jump back up and do a pull up.... and keep doing that till you puke (lol)
*Powercleans alternated with deathwalks

I need some more ideas. Also, does the crossfit protocol call for cardio?? post w/o?? fasted??

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ask copycat he seems knowledgeablein that area.. I was looking into it to for functional strength.. have you been to crossfit.com? it has tons of info along with forums to ask questions, members workout logs, and video clips showing how to do certain workouts.. also they do a workout of the day everyday and you just do them daily

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
ask copycat he seems knowledgeablein that area.. I was looking into it to for functional strength.. have you been to crossfit.com? it has tons of info along with forums to ask questions, members workout logs, and video clips showing how to do certain workouts.. also they do a workout of the day everyday and you just do them daily
Ah, Thank you. I'll have to do some snooping there!

-Leggo

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Leggo, I'll hit you up later this evening when I have more time. Glad to hear your interested.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Thanks CopyCat.
Those vids you sent me are ****ING awesome!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just ordered a kettle bell and got me some resistance bands for home training.. I really like these chain workouts I have been seeing as well.. I might invest in a set too...

Hey can I get a copy of some vids?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
So I came across this style of training called Crossfit which is very intriging to me. I think I am going to change up my routine in the next week or so to follow Crossfit. Basically it is super badass timed circuit training. I would like to learn more about it from anyone who is a current crossfitter, so please chime in if you are well versed on this topic... I would like this to be the "Official Crossfit" thread wher we can discuss different workouts and excercises and share results.

Here are some ideas for my upcoming workouts:

*Deadlift 5x5x5x5x5 with 10 burpees between sets (without rest)
*Squat & Press alternated with pullups 15x10x8 each (without rest)
*Overhead Squat alternated with Dips 15x10x8 each (without rest)
*Stand under pullup bar and jump up and do a pullup and drop down and do a push up then jump back up and do a pull up.... and keep doing that till you puke (lol)
*Powercleans alternated with deathwalks

I need some more ideas. Also, does the crossfit protocol call for cardio?? post w/o?? fasted??
Awesome. Always great to see someone interested in "tasting the Kool-Aid". I'd like to address your question on "cardio" right away - there is no such thing as "cardio" in Crossfit. The WOD's (Workouts of the Day) you have drawn up there, which look pretty good I may say, are aerobic in nature. The formal term Crossfit uses is "metabolic conditioning." You move through these workouts just as you would in a 100m sprint - its all about intensity. Try that first one you listed, 5 rounds of 5 deadlifts/10 burpees and you will absolutely experience the conditioning aspect of the workout. That is of course if you train the way its supposed to be done - full intensity.. as fast as you possibly can.

But, might have you been implying something else? Cardio is often a term used to blanket over endurance activities, or rather sport specific skills.. ie running, swimming, biking. If you are interested in boosting your performance in any of those skills, CrossFitEndurance.com is your place to be. Crossfit workouts strive to hit every angle of exercise and fitness as possible, and in doing that, running just can't come up as often as some may like it to be. CrossFit Endurance helps to combine training in a sport specific area with the Crossfit.com main workouts.

That's getting a bit ahead of ourselves however, since you just starting. That was just FYI. As to finding more ideas on CrossFit workouts... the mainsite (Crossfit.com) is an excellent template to follow, and many affiliates that you can find off that page create their own WOD's as well. Skim through the sites and see what gyms are doing what, and you'll have countless workouts to consider. Making up workouts is good to go, but programming is truely a skill that takes time and experience to master. Crossfit.com and affiliates know what they are doing, and will give you a great start.

Speaking of affiliates, hit that Affiliate tab on the Crossfit.com page and see if there are any gyms in your area. That would be the most advisable approach, as you would have a certified trainer by your side to introduce you to Crossfit and get you well on your way. The intensity you will feel at an official gym is unlike any other as well - you will train harder, longer, and you will love every minute of it. Camaraderie is big in the gyms, as you all go through the same painstorm together. Incredibly fun.

My personal experience with CrossFit has been nothing but success, and I'll never go back to the way I was training. Both CopyCat and I train for military duty, and we have both experienced how effective this program is for developing you as a whole, preparing you for anything. It's specialization is NOT specializing in anything, developing the trainee in all 10 domains of fitness.

Not only is it incredibly effective, but its the most fun I've ever had in my entire life. Highly competative, and progression is continuous with the due effort.

Here's something I want you to do, just for fun. It will be a representation of the dramatic progress you can make in Crossfit. Whatever first workout you do, record your time. Say for example its the deadlift/burpee workout. If you end up training Crossfit for two months, go back and attempt that very same workout, same reps and same weight. You will blow that number out of the water. But, with that said.. a side note - record everything, as its hard data to track progression. Just a good habit. You'll come to see the "benchmark" WOD's, but I won't go into that right now.

And as was mentioned before, check out the Crossfit.com message boards. Plenty of information on starting up there, and any question we could answer has likely already been covered there(not that I'd ever turn down a conversation about CrossFit!).

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
Awesome. Always great to see someone interested in "tasting the Kool-Aid". I'd like to address your question on "cardio" right away - there is no such thing as "cardio" in Crossfit. The WOD's (Workouts of the Day) you have drawn up there, which look pretty good I may say, are aerobic in nature. The formal term Crossfit uses is "metabolic conditioning." You move through these workouts just as you would in a 100m sprint - its all about intensity. Try that first one you listed, 5 rounds of 5 deadlifts/10 burpees and you will absolutely experience the conditioning aspect of the workout. That is of course if you train the way its supposed to be done - full intensity.. as fast as you possibly can.

But, might have you been implying something else? Cardio is often a term used to blanket over endurance activities, or rather sport specific skills.. ie running, swimming, biking. If you are interested in boosting your performance in any of those skills, CrossFitEndurance.com is your place to be. Crossfit workouts strive to hit every angle of exercise and fitness as possible, and in doing that, running just can't come up as often as some may like it to be. CrossFit Endurance helps to combine training in a sport specific area with the Crossfit.com main workouts.

That's getting a bit ahead of ourselves however, since you just starting. That was just FYI. As to finding more ideas on CrossFit workouts... the mainsite (Crossfit.com) is an excellent template to follow, and many affiliates that you can find off that page create their own WOD's as well. Skim through the sites and see what gyms are doing what, and you'll have countless workouts to consider. Making up workouts is good to go, but programming is truely a skill that takes time and experience to master. Crossfit.com and affiliates know what they are doing, and will give you a great start.

Speaking of affiliates, hit that Affiliate tab on the Crossfit.com page and see if there are any gyms in your area. That would be the most advisable approach, as you would have a certified trainer by your side to introduce you to Crossfit and get you well on your way. The intensity you will feel at an official gym is unlike any other as well - you will train harder, longer, and you will love every minute of it. Camaraderie is big in the gyms, as you all go through the same painstorm together. Incredibly fun.

My personal experience with CrossFit has been nothing but success, and I'll never go back to the way I was training. Both CopyCat and I train for military duty, and we have both experienced how effective this program is for developing you as a whole, preparing you for anything. It's specialization is NOT specializing in anything, developing the trainee in all 10 domains of fitness.

Not only is it incredibly effective, but its the most fun I've ever had in my entire life. Highly competative, and progression is continuous with the due effort.

Here's something I want you to do, just for fun. It will be a representation of the dramatic progress you can make in Crossfit. Whatever first workout you do, record your time. Say for example its the deadlift/burpee workout. If you end up training Crossfit for two months, go back and attempt that very same workout, same reps and same weight. You will blow that number out of the water. But, with that said.. a side note - record everything, as its hard data to track progression. Just a good habit. You'll come to see the "benchmark" WOD's, but I won't go into that right now.

And as was mentioned before, check out the Crossfit.com message boards. Plenty of information on starting up there, and any question we could answer has likely already been covered there(not that I'd ever turn down a conversation about CrossFit!).
I do not train with the Crossfit method (or any method right now:buttkick:) but I have looked into it due to one of my co-wrokers being an avid follower of this training method. Having served 5 years active duty in the Marines, I think this training system should be made a mandatory type of PT as it would definitely GREATLY enhance performance and "usable" stregnth in every aspect of military field duties, ESPECIALLY combat and rescue situations.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I do not train with the Crossfit method (or any method right now:buttkick:) but I have looked into it due to one of my co-wrokers being an avid follower of this training method. Having served 5 years active duty in the Marines, I think this training system should be made a mandatory type of PT as it would definitely GREATLY enhance performance and "usable" stregnth in every aspect of military field duties, ESPECIALLY combat and rescue situations.
I whole-heartedly agree with that, and fortunately enough, it already has formally been utilized in military training schools. The Marine Corps has integrated Crossfit training into their PT program in many different shapes and forms, but it is still fairly early. CrossFit grows like wild-fire however, so who knows where we will be in just a year from now.

Generously, the founder of Crossfit, Greg Glassman, donated the equipment from the first Crossfit gym to the USMC. Known as "Operation Pheonix", an effort to outfit Marines with CrossFit equipment, it developed into a fundraiser for us Crossfitters to follow Coach's footsteps. The fundraiser has been on for just a few months now, and has already raised over $125K, with every penny going to the outfitting of Marines with Crossfit equipment. Here's the site if you want to check it out - they have been fundraising with some pretty badass t-shirts, 3 of which I have bought. IMO, it's a great idea, and I hope the success continues.
http://operationphoenix.myshopify.com/

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Highlands totaly said everything I would have. I have a good powerpoint I can send if anyone wants. Just pm me your email.

Posted from an iPhone

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
crossfit is a pain in the ass but totally worth it. if you are wanting to get lean and have high endurance.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
crossfit is a pain in the ass but totally worth it. if you are wanting to get lean and have high endurance.
Yeah, but any high endurance activity is going to get you lean - marathon running, triathlon, etc.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but any high endurance activity is going to get you lean - marathon running, triathlon, etc.
CrossFit will develop your endurance, and through the strenous metabolic demands of the conditioning WOD's, you really can shed the unwanted fat. It's similiar to HIIT, but often with weights.

But, the real benefit of CrossFit is the development of the athlete. All 10 domains of fitness are improved upon, continually. For myself, these functional skills are what keeps me locked into the program. The aesthics are present for some, but CrossFit prides itself on developing fitness, not looks.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
CrossFit will develop your endurance, and through the strenous metabolic demands of the conditioning WOD's, you really can shed the unwanted fat. It's similiar to HIIT, but often with weights.

But, the real benefit of CrossFit is the development of the athlete. All 10 domains of fitness are improved upon, continually. For myself, these functional skills are what keeps me locked into the program. The aesthics are present for some, but CrossFit prides itself on developing fitness, not looks.
A protocol that espouses that "specialization is NOT specializing in anything" will lead to mediocrity in everything - in all 10 domains. How does crossfit develop "the athlete" better than a specialization program? It doesn't, and it can't. Almost any GGP protocol will do what you are talking about.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
A protocol that espouses that "specialization is NOT specializing in anything" will lead to mediocrity in everything - in all 10 domains. How does crossfit develop "the athlete" better than a specialization program? It doesn't, and it can't. Almost any GGP protocol will do what you are talking about.
Trust me there is no point to arguing against Crossfitters. it doesn't really matter what your opinions towards the program are, Cross fitters are an intense cult of loyal followers. For the average person or someone looking to get in shape and lean up crossfit is a good program because it keeps the workouts simple, prevents burnout of the CNS pretty well, and keeps from getting mundane. For an athlete I don't really see it having as much carryover to most sports compared to a specialization program based around an athletes weaknesses. A couple of my training partners were actually thinking about opening a CF gym in our area because there isn't one and it could tap into a lot of potential non-athletes who are not dreaming of being bodybuilders. The certification to become a CF gym is ridiculously expensive for what knowledge you really need to create a WOD for your gym go'ers though.
Moral of the story, to each his own.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I have no idea where you are pulling that from. No one even came close to implying that in this thread. It's no secret that sport-specific training yields sport-specific results. CrossFit has never denied that. Like mentioned several times over, CrossFit produces fitness. If you are weak in a certain domain, you are not as physically fit as you could be. Sports and fitness are not the same thing bud. CrossFit came into existance to prepare for the *unknown*, which is why it does not specialize in anything. This is why its so valuable to the military. It can produce an individual signifigantly strong in all the traits of fitness. Personally speaking, I'd rather be prepared for anything rather then be hoping that "X" does not happen. And in turn, everyone can benefit from the building of all these traits.

In short, go take a look at the Crossfit Games results. It just about summarizes up that the results are anything but "mediocre". One thing I've learned about CrossFit is that it is always open for new training. After all, that is its lifeblood - constantly varied exercise. If you know of a program that develops the ten domains of fitness more effeciently, by all means, share. Otherwise, I'd love to hear why your bashing a program that has brought so much success to thousands of people. You've offered nothing so far, so enlighten us if you have the superior fitness program.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Trust me there is no point to arguing against Crossfitters. it doesn't really matter what your opinions towards the program are, Cross fitters are an intense cult of loyal followers. For the average person or someone looking to get in shape and lean up crossfit is a good program because it keeps the workouts simple, prevents burnout of the CNS pretty well, and keeps from getting mundane. For an athlete I don't really see it having as much carryover to most sports compared to a specialization program based around an athletes weaknesses. A couple of my training partners were actually thinking about opening a CF gym in our area because there isn't one and it could tap into a lot of potential non-athletes who are not dreaming of being bodybuilders. The certification to become a CF gym is ridiculously expensive for what knowledge you really need to create a WOD for your gym go'ers though.
Moral of the story, to each his own.

It is always kind of humorous how adamantly we defend CrossFit. And it's all because of the results it has proven to us - all I can ask of you is to give it a honest shot if you are interested in similiar goals.
Once again, I do agree that Crossfit does not have the best carryover to sports. I think it might be proper to offer that Crossfit carries over rather to "life", the unexpected next activity. By preparing for anything, from strength to stamina to flexibility(etc,etc), the individual can tackle life's problems effeciently. It's the weakness that will give you problems, and it should always be addressed - "your as strong as your weakest link" (applied to fitness).

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am on a bodybuilding designed cutting program right now but what has really interested me is the "new" Caveman Training style that some in the UFC are starting to use and there are a few dreams in the US cropping up. It has some of the same principles as crossfit and looks amazing. HOWEVER I would not use just this or crossfit as I enjoy the large muscle and strength gains form traditional workouts, but combined they can be pretty nice.

My personal opinion is Crossfit is a good fit for some but not for others (particularly specific sport athletes). It is neither the answer to everything nor the worst thing to happen to fitness. I think it should be tried before making an opinion on it.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is always kind of humorous how adamantly we defend CrossFit. And it's all because of the results it has proven to us - all I can ask of you is to give it a honest shot if you are interested in similiar goals.
Once again, I do agree that Crossfit does not have the best carryover to sports. I think it might be proper to offer that Crossfit carries over rather to "life", the unexpected next activity. By preparing for anything, from strength to stamina to flexibility(etc,etc), the individual can tackle life's problems effeciently. It's the weakness that will give you problems, and it should always be addressed - "your as strong as your weakest link" (applied to fitness).
I think that it comes mostly because there are so many out there that immediately discount Crossfit and brush it aside.

If you are involved in a specific sport such as soccer than of course you need sport specific training. Crossfit isn't designed to replace that. It is however a solid basis. If soccer is your sport than bodybuilding is not for you. If bodybuilding is your sport than marathons are not for you. Things are subjective with that. I was told by a crossfit coach that you can take someone who is solid at crossfit and put them into any realm or sport and they can very quickly adapt and be good at it. However, you can not necessarily take someone from another realm or sport and them be good at what we do. It goes back to the 10 fitness traits.

Example of what I mean, which puts into the question what is fitness and how is it different from sports.

From Crossfit website.
Outside Magazine crowned triathlete Mark Allen "the fittest man on earth." Let’s just assume for a moment that this famous six-time winner of the IronMan Triathlon is the fittest of the fit, then what title do we bestow on the decathlete Simon Poelman who also possesses incredible endurance and stamina, yet crushes Mr. Allen in any comparison that includes strength, power, speed, and coordination?

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
I have no idea where you are pulling that from. No one even came close to implying that in this thread. It's no secret that sport-specific training yields sport-specific results. CrossFit has never denied that. Like mentioned several times over, CrossFit produces fitness.
I pulled it from the post where you said, "the real benefit of Crossfit is the development of the athlete." If you are not implying sport-specific athletics, then Crossfit intersects with the domain of the guy shooting hoops at the "Y" on Tuesday nights and the soccer moms at Curves.

If you are weak in a certain domain, you are not as physically fit as you could be.
And you could optimize that weakness by focusing within that specific domain until the weakness is corrected, if that is your intent.

Sports and fitness are not the same thing bud. CrossFit came into existance to prepare for the *unknown*, which is why it does not specialize in anything. This is why its so valuable to the military.
Did you seriously think about that before you wrote it? What about all the Crossfitters who are not actively serving in the military? The *unknown* of... what? Having to unexpectedly run to catch the bus? Being able to jockey into position at the blue light sale?
I'm not going to dis the military and, personally, I thank you and applaud your service to our country. However, with the revenue that is extracted from taxpayers in this country on a daily basis, I would hope that our government can figure out how to train soldiers without the need to resort to Crossfit. After all, U.S. military training has been around slightly longer than Crossfit.

It can produce an individual signifigantly strong in all the traits of fitness. Personally speaking, I'd rather be prepared for anything rather then be hoping that "X" does not happen. And in turn, everyone can benefit from the building of all these traits.
Almost any type of halfway decently designed GPP program can accomplish that. So it really isn't saying much.

In short, go take a look at the Crossfit Games results. It just about summarizes up that the results are anything but "mediocre".
Been there. Didn't really see anything spectacular. I'm pretty sure that you could randomly go to metropolitan gyms around the world, extract the top 1 - 3% of the fittest members, randomly select a number equal to the participants in the Crossfit Games and have similar results.

One thing I've learned about CrossFit is that it is always open for new training. After all, that is its lifeblood - constantly varied exercise. If you know of a program that develops the ten domains of fitness more efficiently, by all means, share. Otherwise, I'd love to hear why your bashing a program that has brought so much success to thousands of people. You've offered nothing so far, so enlighten us if you have the superior fitness program.
I'm not bashing it - I'm just saying it's mediocre. And I'll hazard a guess that 90% of what you find here will prove as successful as the Crossfit protocol.

Cross fitters are an intense cult of loyal followers.
Yep.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I'm not going to go in depth here, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Find me ANYBODY that can top the Crossfit Games scores, and I'll eat my words. Those are some of the fittest people on Earth, and to degrade what they can are physically capable speaks volumes. Keep in mind that those athletes had no idea what the challenges were prior to the Games.

Your definition of athlete has also gone wrong. I don't think you even grasp what Crossfit is. Every workout is a competative event. There is hard data on each workout - whether that be time, max weight, repititions, rounds, whatever it may be. It turns the event into a physical competition: a sport. To deny these individuals the term athlete is rediculous.

Nice job on the Google search. I suppose that's the best you have on your side of the table. Excellent. I wonder why those individuals have yet to reach peaks such as Crossfitters have. It's success has not come out of thin air. It produces, and for some reason, you fail to see that... You have nothing to offer but negativity, and I honestly just don't understand you guys. CrossFit has brought such success to so many, and it baffles me as to why people develop such apathy for it, without even trying it for themselves.

The fact of the matter is... CrossFit produces. And it's not mediocre. You don't have to train it, nor do you have to like it. And you DEFINITELY don't have to clog up threads with utter bullshit like this. You can nitpick words all day, but in the end... you have nothing to offer... no one cares for negativity.. only results.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
I think that it comes mostly because there are so many out there that immediately discount Crossfit and brush it aside.

If you are involved in a specific sport such as soccer than of course you need sport specific training. Crossfit isn't designed to replace that. It is however a solid basis. If soccer is your sport than bodybuilding is not for you.
No, but if soccer is your sport, you'll excel by performing some amount of resistance training.

If bodybuilding is your sport than marathons are not for you. Things are subjective with that.
(Hmm... I wouldn't characterize BB as a sport.) But if you are a soccer player, atttempting to increase your VO2 Max would be beneficial.

I was told by a crossfit coach that you can take someone who is solid at crossfit and put them into any realm or sport and they can very quickly adapt and be good at it.
I'm sure a crossfit coach told you that - it's part of the cult. Other coaches will tell you how to get a six-pack in 10 minutes a day.

However, you can not necessarily take someone from another realm or sport and them be good at what we do. It goes back to the 10 fitness traits. Example of what I mean, which puts into the question what is fitness and how is it different from sports.
Seriously, take a sport specific athlete from say... Downhill skiing, Cross Country skiing, hockey, speed skating, gymnastics, etc and tell me, compared to a Crossfitter, which of these 10 fitness traits they are deficient in:

* cardiovascular/respiratory endurance
* stamina
* strength
* flexibility
* power
* speed
* agility
* balance
* coordination
* accuracy

From Crossfit website.
Outside Magazine crowned triathlete Mark Allen "the fittest man on earth." Let’s just assume for a moment that this famous six-time winner of the IronMan Triathlon is the fittest of the fit, then what title do we bestow on the decathlete Simon Poelman who also possesses incredible endurance and stamina, yet crushes Mr. Allen in any comparison that includes strength, power, speed, and coordination?
Perhaps Crossfit should bestow upon Mr. Allen the title of "the fittest man on earth" if they are so concerned with what Outside magazine publishes.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
I'm not going to go in depth here, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Find me ANYBODY that can top the Crossfit Games scores, and I'll eat my words. Those are some of the fittest people on Earth.
Now I'm convinced you have no idea what you are talking about.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Now I'm convinced you have no idea what you are talking about.
CrossFit gets this a lot. It's response is, "Put up, or shut up". Go and find a program that develops fitness more effeciently. I think I've already asked you that, and you blanked with a Google search. You continually attack a program that is backed by hard numerical data.... yet you have nothing to offer as an alternative. If you can't match what CrossFit has produced, "shut up". There really isn't much more than I could say. This isn't subjective... it's comparing numbers.

Honestly, what is your purpose here? I believe CrossFit has the potential to change lives, and that is why I speak so highly of it. You clearly don't agree, but do not offer the slightest bit of advice. If YOU seek to develop elite fitness, what would you do? If you speak so negatively about CrossFit, you must have something better, no? Once again, enlighten us, or get lost. If you can't put up, don't open your mouth.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
CrossFit gets this a lot. It's response is, "Put up, or shut up". If you can't match what CrossFit has produced, "shut up". There really isn't much more than I could say.
That's true. When called out, Crossfitters always seem to degrade to this. Sorry I'm not convinced that it is the "Holy Grail" that you make it out to be.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
That's true. When called out, Crossfitters always seem to degrade to this. Sorry I'm not convinced that it is the "Holy Grail" that you make it out to be.
It's not a degradation, its an offer; a challenge. A prove me wrong. You say this method isn't worthy... prove it. You called me out, and I answered with CrossFit's results. Now it's your turn. Not a degradation by any means.

Listen, I love CrossFit, but I'll tell you what I love more. Fitness. If there is a method out there that produces better fitness than what I'm currently doing, you can bet your ass that I'm going to change programs. CrossFit works, and although I won't deny its imperfections, it outproduces anything else out there in terms of total fitness. That is why I train it.

I'll always push for what produces the best results, for that's what we ALL are after. It's not a name tag, a certain affiliation, or anything superficial. Strictly the results. The numerical hard data. CrossFit thrives at developing those 10 domains, and again, I'll always be in favor for what works. In my eyes, to downplay the most effective manner is just ludicris. That is why I, and likely many other Crossfitters, defend the program to such a degree.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
You say this method isn't worthy... prove it.
Again, I never said it isn't worthy, I said it was mediocre. And, apart from a formal organizational strucutre, I said it was on parallel with most GPP protocols. I just don't believe that weekend warriors competing in the "Games" in the events of Thrusters, Deadlift/Burpee, a Run and C&J are some of "the fittest people on Earth." Frankly, with any amount of serious weight, doing C&J reps for time isn't the brightest idea. Is Rippetoe advocating such a protocol, please post a link if he is 'cause I'd be interested. And I think that it is interesting that Rip points out in the Crossfit journal that:
Coach Glassman discussed this with me recently, in a conversation about increasing CrossFit’s strength base. We have talked many times about the fact that people who come to CrossFit from a strength-training background tend to perform better in the key aspects of the program. When you’re stronger, metabolic conditioning is easier and endurance stuff (i.e., 5k or 10k runs) is about the same—and workouts like “Diane” (three rounds, at 21-15-9 reps, of 225-pound deadlifts and handstand push-ups) are just not possible without a considerable amount of strength. In essence, it is easier for a lifter to improve his or her time on “Diane” than it is for a runner to develop the ability even to finish the workout without scaling it back to a very light weight. So the conversation focused on a way to work more strength into the program while maintaining the CrossFit approach to it​
I point this out ‘cause the avid Crossfitters I’ve talked to are more interested in rapid acceleration with light or no weight and skip the strength oriented WODs. But they’re still rabid Crossfitters…

And what about all of the other hundreds who do Crossfit but don't compete in the "Games" because they are not among the Crossfit Elite? Where do they fall out on the distribution of athletes...? Probably not much different than most people at most gyms in most cities. If you know different, please provide proof.

But, alas, I concede to you. For without an organized event like the Crossfit Games that specializes in completely unrelated events, I lack proof of my claims of mediocrity.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As Highlanda mentioned...

Quantifiable Outputs
Horsepower, Watts, etc. Why isn’t anyone else talking about this?

Quantifiable Outputs:

Diane: 21-15-9 reps of 225# Deadlift followed by Handstand Pushups
-Mark stands about 6 feet tall and weighs about 210 pounds. His best time for ‘Diane’ is just over 2.5 minutes.

225# + 105# x 2 feet x 45 reps = 29,700 foot-pounds of work
210# x 1 foot x 45 reps = 9,450 foot pounds of work.
29,700 + 9,450 = 39,150 foot pounds of work.

-divide that by 2.5 minutes = 354 watts

Bench Press: 3 sets x 10 reps x 225# x 1.5 feet = 10,125 foot-pounds

- divide that by 2.5 minutes = 92 watts

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
As Highlanda mentioned...

Quantifiable Outputs
Horsepower, Watts, etc. Why isn’t anyone else talking about this?

Bench Press: 3 sets x 10 reps x 225# x 1.5 feet = 10,125 foot-pounds

- divide that by 2.5 minutes = 92 watts
Here's why, because without a better frame of reference that equation is limited.

Bench Press: 5 sets * 30 reps * 50# (Yep, one 2.5 lbs disk per side) * 1.5 ft = 11,250 foot-pounds.

How many mintues do I get to complete that and equal the watts output of your example? In terms of overall physical conditioning would you consider those two protocols to be similar? What if you decrease overall weight and increase reps or sets (or both?)

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I think it's safe to say no one is going to come to an agreement here. We'll keep doing what we're doing, and if you think there's a better method to developing functional fitness across broad domains, you keep doing that. That's fair enough.

Leggo came in looking for CrossFit ideas and suggestions. Trolling in here because you have some personal fued with CrossFit has not moved any of us closer to our goals of functional fitness. Next time you want to debate something, have something on your side of the table to offer. Anybody can sit and point the finger, claiming its not good enough... what good is it if you can't provide a better way. It's pessimistic. Life's too short for that.

All we want is the results... to blow old PR's out of the water, skyrocketing our skills in each domain of fitness. If an individual reaches new heights in his or her personal fitness, who are you to say its mediocre... there's no place for that.

If the methods of CrossFit really just are too mediocre for you, then you have nothing to worry about. Spend your time elsewhere rather than impeding the inquiries of another. Leggo, feel free to create another thread, or PM CopyCat or myself if there's anything we can help you with. And lastly, I strongly urge you once more to check out the message boards at Crossfit.com. Certified coaches and affiliates log on every day to offer insight and ideas. Enormous amounts of information to answer all of your questions. And I promise, your CrossFit questions there will be answered with a far more friendly, open tone.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
I think it's safe to say no one is going to come to an agreement here. We'll keep doing what we're doing, and if you think there's a better method to developing functional fitness across broad domains, you keep doing that. That's fair enough.

Leggo came in looking for CrossFit ideas and suggestions. Trolling in here because you have some personal fued with CrossFit has not moved any of us closer to our goals of functional fitness. Next time you want to debate something, have something on your side of the table to offer. Anybody can sit and point the finger, claiming its not good enough... what good is it if you can't provide a better way. It's pessimistic. Life's too short for that.

All we want is the results... to blow old PR's out of the water, skyrocketing our skills in each domain of fitness. If an individual reaches new heights in his or her personal fitness, who are you to say its mediocre... there's no place for that.

If the methods of CrossFit really just are too mediocre for you, then you have nothing to worry about. Spend your time elsewhere rather than impeding the inquiries of another. Leggo, feel free to create another thread, or PM CopyCat or myself if there's anything we can help you with. And lastly, I strongly urge you once more to check out the message boards at Crossfit.com. Certified coaches and affiliates log on every day to offer insight and ideas. Enormous amounts of information to answer all of your questions. And I promise, your CrossFit questions there will be answered with a far more friendly, open tone.
Thanks Highlanda and CopyCat,
I have been doing much research and am absolutely in favor of CrossFit. I found out there is a CF affiliate gym less than 5 minutes from my home. I will probably attempt to try CF on my own at the gym I belong to, but I'm sure I will need to sign up at a CF friendly gym. I experimented, as part of my shoulder routine, with a CF workout the other day, just to get a feel. I did hang cleans and pull ups 7 reps each for 3 rounds (not for time) no rest (not a full cf work out but, again, just experimenting) and damn, just that was pretty demanding. I am pretty sore today. I will probably run my normal routine for 1 more week before crossing completely into the dark side. I will have to start out with pussy weights until I get used to the program.

Anyway, this thread was not intended to be a pissing competition and while I respect everyone's opinion, T-bone2, this thread was meant to discuss the CF workouts and results of those who use and have actually used the CF protocol and to get and give ideas, not to argue the the effectiveness thereof and point out what you feel to be shortcomings... -the effectiveness can hardly be argued in my opinion

I will continue to post my thoughts, questions and progress in this thread so that others can read.

Thanks

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Highlanda and CopyCat,
I have been doing much research and am absolutely in favor of CrossFit. I found out there is a CF affiliate gym less than 5 minutes from my home. I will probably attempt to try CF on my own at the gym I belong to, but I'm sure I will need to sign up at a CF friendly gym. I experimented, as part of my shoulder routine, with a CF workout the other day, just to get a feel. I did hang cleans and pull ups 7 reps each for 3 rounds (not for time) no rest (not a full cf work out but, again, just experimenting) and damn, just that was pretty demanding. I am pretty sore today. I will probably run my normal routine for 1 more week before crossing completely into the dark side. I will have to start out with pussy weights until I get used to the program.

Anyway, this thread was not intended to be a pissing competition and while I respect everyone's opinion, T-bone2, this thread was meant to discuss the CF workouts and results of those who use and have actually used the CF protocol and to get and give ideas, not to argue the the effectiveness thereof and point out what you feel to be shortcomings... -the effectiveness can hardly be argued in my opinion

I will continue to post my thoughts, questions and progress in this thread so that others can read.

Thanks
Wow man, I'm absolutely jealous. FIVE minutes away from an affiliate. Anyways, I just wanted to say that there are no such thing as "pussy weights." In CrossFit, always put intensity at the forefront - if that means taking 20lbs off the Rx'd weight so that you can train at the desired level of intensity, so be it. No one will ever look down upon that. Very few start the WOD's with the Rx'd weight. Will be interested to hear how your workouts come along!

Also - time your next workout! I mean that sincerely! Going back to a WOD some months later and CRUSHING the PR is a feeling like none other. A direct indicator of improved fitness.

And last but not least, have fun. This stuff will renew the competitor is anybody, whether thats competing against yourself or chasing a fellow Crossfitter. So much fun.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kill it man

Posted from an iPhone

connelly22

Awards
CrossFit is the only way in my opinion! Ive been trying to get bigger and stronger for the last 4 years and have seen ok results. I experimented with CrossFit last summer and saw the biggest gains in size id ever had. During the fall, i switched to more of a body building workout program and only saw small results. Im now into my second full week back into CrossFit and have already set many PR's and have cut fat considerably. CrossFit has proved again to me to be the best style to put on lean muscle, while still greatly increasing strength and stamina!

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
Im going to give Crossfit a 30day trial run @ Crossfit Oahu when I get back from Iraq. Im not sold on the idea although everyone raves about it, but that is just because I prefer bench pressing and dumbbell curling etc etc. But I plan to go in it with an open mind and the desire to lose some bodyfat I put on in the joint.

Should be a good experience when I take my block leave in mid-march

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im going to give Crossfit a 30day trial run @ Crossfit Oahu when I get back from Iraq. Im not sold on the idea although everyone raves about it, but that is just because I prefer bench pressing and dumbbell curling etc etc. But I plan to go in it with an open mind and the desire to lose some bodyfat I put on in the joint.

Should be a good experience when I take my block leave in mid-march
In Iraq in 07 was when I first got turned onto cf.

Posted from an iPhone

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
i did my first day of Crossfit here on Oahu.. they offer a beginners class so its toned down a bit for us newbs... my honest opinion

im completely worn out and have no desire to leave my couch

so im gunna begin the elements class on tuesday and stick with the beginners class until im able to get a membership...

6 pack and new Dress Blues here I come.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Welcome home brotha. Glad to hear you are hitting it up. Good luck with your crossfit endeavors. I'll leave you with one of my favorite crossfit quotes.

"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun"

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
so far crossfit is like WSMC but more cardio and alot less weight!

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
What's WSMC?
world strong man compition, just watch som trining vid on some of the top guys,
grossfit is like for the normal sized ppl that arnt 6'10 320lb
but i deff wana find a place near me to joinup

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
im still sore from saturday... i wasnt expecting bodyweight exercises would hurt this much.... ring dips are tough

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im still sore from saturday... i wasnt expecting bodyweight exercises would hurt this much.... ring dips are tough
I LOVE the rings...besides they are easier on my elbows than locking in position with a bar.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Ring dips are incredibly humbling to the first timer. So are hand stand pushups!

Over time, you will develop stabilizer muscles you didn't even know you had, and you'll be cranking them out in no time.

And yes, bodyweight exercises will absolutely make for a very intense workout. Don't forget, it's about power output, not necessarily about what weights you use. Air squats, ring dips, pullups, whatever the workout may have been, was designed to maximize power output. Intensity = power... and soreness! Glad you're enjoying the Kool-Aid. Semper Fi.
On a side note... MURPH is tommarow. Strap it up and get some!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ring dips are incredibly humbling to the first timer. So are hand stand pushups!

Over time, you will develop stabilizer muscles you didn't even know you had, and you'll be cranking them out in no time.

And yes, bodyweight exercises will absolutely make for a very intense workout. Don't forget, it's about power output, not necessarily about what weights you use. Air squats, ring dips, pullups, whatever the workout may have been, was designed to maximize power output. Intensity = power... and soreness! Glad you're enjoying the Kool-Aid. Semper Fi.
On a side note... MURPH is tommarow. Strap it up and get some!
Highlanda! How the hell you been?? Murph *shudder* I'm passing. Too many pull ups in it. I'm conducting a 100 day pull up challenge right now. Today is general back, some bi's and really big on deads for me on top of my pull-ups along with some good cycling. Check out the challenge, the link is in my sig.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Highlanda! How the hell you been?? Murph *shudder* I'm passing. Too many pull ups in it. I'm conducting a 100 day pull up challenge right now. Today is general back, some bi's and really big on deads for me on top of my pull-ups along with some good cycling. Check out the challenge, the link is in my sig.
Bro, that is awesome. I think I might have to jump in on that PU challenge... love those. So heavy deads, huh. Have you checked out the CrossFit Strength Bias article (journal)? I'm currently a few weeks in, and I'm really diggin the program. Effectively combines additional strength training into the CrossFit daily WOD.

Pleased to say I became L1 certified not long ago; figured it would help out in the long run. Met some great people and learned a great deal. Military personel are entitled to discounts by the way! *wink wink*

I hope all is well man, and keep killin' it!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bro, that is awesome. I think I might have to jump in on that PU challenge... love those. So heavy deads, huh. Have you checked out the CrossFit Strength Bias article (journal)? I'm currently a few weeks in, and I'm really diggin the program. Effectively combines additional strength training into the CrossFit daily WOD.

Pleased to say I became L1 certified not long ago; figured it would help out in the long run. Met some great people and learned a great deal. Military personel are entitled to discounts by the way! *wink wink*

I hope all is well man, and keep killin' it!
I'm going to have to read up on it. Todays workout looked like this...

Lift
Deadlift 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1 (use the 3 reps as a lighter warm-up weight, then go up in weight each set for the remaining sets until you hit your one rep max)
WOD
With a continuously running clock do one chest to bar pull-ups one minute, 2 chest to bar pull-ups the second, and so on until failure.

Then I superset some biceps lifts with some more back work like rows. Followed everything with a good cycling session.

FYI... I'm trying to get registered for the Marine Corps Marathon... god it's going to suck, but hey... it doesn't have to be fun to be fun!