Do abs grow?

Dyou

Dyou

Awards
  • Established
this is something that i have been wondering for a while a freind and i have talked about it and he says no matter what you do ab muscles dont grow they just get harder. Is this true? I hate my love handles and i am afraid of trying to work my obliques because im afraid its going to make me look wider.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
First i've heard of ab muscles not getting bigger and only harder.

YoMan

Awards
train as another muscle: learn the movement, increase weight and don't perform 10000000000 reps of bad crunches.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
do abs grow? does a bear s**t in the woods and wipe his a$$ with a rabbit? of course

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Abs certainly grow as mentioned before. However maybe to shed some light on your friends statement, he could be mislead and thinking as abs grow they become denser with the increased muscle mass/tone?

crazilyfter42

Awards
Yes abs grow. If you train them properly anyway.

Future

Best bet it to wear a belt alot to avoid distention during heavy lifting. Do alot of ab work like crunches and knee ups but not decline sit ups etc.

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
I don't understand, I thought decline situps were good? Been part of my arsenal for a while.. I always superset my last set with weighted decline sit ups.. ?

Future

They are a solid exercise for strengthening but can also make the gut stuck out slightly as well.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I like the developed abs look, but some people take it too far in my opinion, like a lot of professional bodybuilders nowadays. I think the older bodybuilders had a better idea of size and aesthetics.

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
They will definately grow, just have to train them like everything else.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I like the developed abs look, but some people take it too far in my opinion, like a lot of professional bodybuilders nowadays. I think the older bodybuilders had a better idea of size and aesthetics.

When you say bodybuilders now a days, you mean the like 42 in ripped roid gut?

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
When you say bodybuilders now a days, you mean the like 42 in ripped roid gut?
I pretty much meant the ones with the bulging guts. That just looks stupid to me. There are quite a few top pros who still maintain that aesthetic look. I mean, there is a difference between symmetry and aestheticism, to me anyway. Arnold, to me, is one of the few big guys who still looked good. How many pros do you see nowadays that are massive and still hit vacuums? The only professional bodybuilder I really ever admired was Frank Zane. I don't really follow professional bodybuilding, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
ab's grow just like any other muscle, the key is to shed the fat that covers them

Dyou

Dyou

Awards
  • Established
speaking of bodybuilders the only one whos build i like is dexter jackson because his waist is sooo damn small but he is still huge

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I pretty much meant the ones with the bulging guts. That just looks stupid to me. There are quite a few top pros who still maintain that aesthetic look. I mean, there is a difference between symmetry and aestheticism, to me anyway. Arnold, to me, is one of the few big guys who still looked good. How many pros do you see nowadays that are massive and still hit vacuums? The only professional bodybuilder I really ever admired was Frank Zane. I don't really follow professional bodybuilding, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

thats mainly GH gut though

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
agreed on Dexter being the only semi normal pro bodybuilder now a days to not be disgustingly distorted imo