Couple of ?'s from Westside newbie

Nigel

Awards
Just started my first powerlifting cycle, doing Westside, ( thanks tremendously for the sticky, BTW, it's been invaluable) and I was wondering if all that close-grip work is strictly necessary. I realize this isn't bodybuilding but my tri's are becoming disproportionate. For a pressing movement I want to substitute something like power cleans-still working the core muscle groups and esp. shoulders, my weaker body part. Is this advisable? Also, I'm having trouble finding a good way to work the lowest 1/3 of my bench. The speed work helps, but can anyone recommend something for ME days when I can work that specific range of motion?

Future

Powerlifting isn't about proportion though. I did deal with the same thing. Remeber that Westside tends to be a philosophy that you TWEAK for your weaknesses.

The lowest 1/3 of the bench would be very much your pecs. You should try doing some illegal grip benching. Start out doing sets of 12 until you get use to it. But yes, you can make it a ME exercise.

Also, do 21's supersetted with dumbell shoulder presses once a week. Try to do some shoulder presses in one workout for 4-6 sets of 8-12. You need to strengthen and stabililze this wihtout too much tendon wear.

GOOD LUCK. I hope I helped you.

Inzah Dude

Awards
For the lower portion of the bench, you can do a few things.
Cambered bar stuff, Illegal wides, low boards. Also some strong lats will help out a ton for this part of the bench. You can include some dumbell work as assistance. Another thing you can do is dumbell presses for 3 sets of 20 reps to failure in place of a ME bench movement every 8 weeks or so. Another thing, for illegal wides as ME movement I wouldnt go below 5 or 6 reps for that. How about posting your whole program so we can get a look at it?

Nigel

Awards
First, thanks for the replies. Been away from the computor for a bit.... My routine is pretty much as described in the Westside sticky posted in this forum. There's not much powerlifting activity in my area and this has been a major source of information. I definately agreee with what you said about powerlifting being a different sport. This is my fourth week now, and I just beginning to intuitively understand the differences in approach. It's been exciting for me, just like when I first started BBing - moving past just doing a list of exercises and beginning to get a take on what my body is telling me to do to get strong. I've cut back on doing a lot of close grip and notice a define improvement from doing military presses from full clean.And definately, as I struggled through my chins, this week, I noticed for the first time a direct connection with my pecs. Good call.The suggestions you guys have offered all seem worthwhile to me and I hope to give them a try in the coming weeks as I gain confidence in what I'm doing; rearrange a few pieces of the puzzle and attack my weak areas. Couple more quick Q's though- what exactly is illegal grip? And is there a good way to do reverse hyperextensions without a R.H. machine?

Inzah Dude

Awards
Illegal grip is a grip thats illegally wide, so like pointer finger outside the rings I think. For the second question you could just set your pins up high on a powerrack then lay boards across them or something and use that know what I mean? Or you could build one, check around on the interent theres instructions to build them.

Nigel

Awards
Hey, thanks for the info. I'll start checking this evening. I've also been reading articles from the Elite Fitness (EFS) site. Good **** , though I started with the squat stuff:D . Tried presses with the cambered bar today, though. Really nice- they hit up both chest and tris. Took just enough pressure off either group to work the whole complex. Wouldn't mind doing some more right now if I didn't feel way sore every time I stretch out.