Pop went my back

NAS

NAS

Awards
Doing tbar rows with 5plates and a quarter, lowering the weight for the 3rd rep something in my lower back on the left side popped and I dropped the weights and had to lay on the floor, it hurts quite a bit, I can still move and all directions twist and bend. What did I do? I soaked in a hot tub and put icyhot and took 1.5 percocet but it is still hurting. I dont have insurance although I will probably see a chiropractor or get a massage next week.

DEADn

DEADn

Awards
Dude, definately see a chiro or at least a doctor. I am doing that now because of a hernia in my cervical disk. I got it back in Nov. I was experimenting with Military Press behind the neck with 100lbs for 10 reps. I only came down to the top of my head and I felt something pop in my neck and felt a little pain in my shoulder. As time went on I felt a pain deep inside my left shoulder down my forearm and into my index finger. It got number. Went to a chiro and after 4 session I did an MRI and found the hernia. I am doing 20 sessions of decompression. First 5 didn't seem to do anything so after looking online on healing it said to exercise. So I went to running and went back to getting myself into the weights again and during the next 4 sessions my pain is 95% gone.

Go get it check now otherwise it may take longer to heal.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
That's called a herniated disc. You wont be doing any rowing, pulling or squatting for a long time, if ever again. Welcome to the club.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That's called a herniated disc. You wont be doing any rowing, pulling or squatting for a long time, if ever again. Welcome to the club.
Ouch. Sorry man... Get it check out!

SFW

SFW

Awards
ahhh i feel for you! i pinched a nerve in my back once and it KILLS! sorry to hear about the injury. See a doc and take it easy for a little.

thats why i wtopped doing those damn t bar rows! always scared me...

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
ahhh i feel for you! i pinched a nerve in my back once and it KILLS! sorry to hear about the injury. See a doc and take it easy for a little.

thats why i wtopped doing those damn t bar rows! always scared me...
I used to get a semi sharp pain in my upper back if I went heavy. Quit doing those quite some time ago.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I never understood why some people opt for t-bar rows in lieu of standard bent rows. The fixed motion resembles a machine, which is generally frowned upon. Anyone care to enlighten me? Of course, I know variation is important, so that is one reason I see why people may do them. But, if I were going to do a motion that had a fixed plane, I would opt for a real machine that has chest support.

I had a similar "pop" in my back 2 years ago. I was doing squats w/ 225 (which I was doing for about 8 reps/set), and on my 2nd set on the 3rd rep (funny how I remember the details) I felt and "pop". Luckily I was in the cage because I hit the floor and the weights came crashing down onto the pins. I got lightheaded and could barely walk to my car after resting on the floor for 15 minutes. I was bedridden for a week... muscle relaxers and all. There were a couple nights that it hurt so bad that I didn't catch a single hour of sleep - talk about miserable. I ended up seeing a chiro who took some x-rays. It didn't show any damage like bulging/herniated discs. he thinks it was a muscular thing. Maybe I got lucky.

If you can get your hands on some flexiril, or another muscle relaxer, that may help - if your lower back has spasms.

NAS

NAS

Awards
wow replies. well im pretty sure I didnt hurt a disk since the pain is on the left side and is getting much better than that first day, man it hurt, anyway I have full range of motion back and seems to be a muscle pull or minor tear, I had this pain once before in the exact same spot minus the pop and instant pain this time, had xrays and there was nothing wrong with my spine, so fingers crossed it will heal just as it did last time, and no more heavy tbars for this kid

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
wow replies. well im pretty sure I didnt hurt a disk since the pain is on the left side and is getting much better than that first day, man it hurt, anyway I have full range of motion back and seems to be a muscle pull or minor tear, I had this pain once before in the exact same spot minus the pop and instant pain this time, had xrays and there was nothing wrong with my spine, so fingers crossed it will heal just as it did last time, and no more heavy tbars for this kid
you will need to rest as much as possible

beginneers yoga could be a good idea

O

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do back bridges and front bridges, arms folded across my chest while my body resting on my nose/eyebrows(back bridge) and whole weight resting on my forehead(front bridges)

It cured my pain I had from a motorcycle accident at approximately 50 miles/hr with a car (T-boned her car after illegally making a left turn infront of me and flew 2-3 car lengths on the street)

I used to wake up every few weeks with very bad hip/back pain even after a year passed since the accident, bridges are a life saver.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Herniated discs don't heal and an xray will show nothing. You need an MRI if you want to find anything out.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
moral of the story is get insurance, in my country (new zealand) something like what the o/p has done is covered my the govt and medical care for the most part is free, although it's best to not say you hurt yourself lifting weights, i'd always say it was from shifting furniture or playing golf.

accupunture is effective if done by a qualified practitioner

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
It really does sound like you popped a disk. My back does the same thing. The pop you feel is the disk sliding out of the disk space. The pain toward one side is the disk pressing against nerve tissue and possibly other structures. I get pain radiating down into a hip, sometimes down a leg. The pain and stiffness can last for a day or two, sometimes for a few weeks.

I don't usually rest it. The last time it happened, I actually did some stiff legged deads (bar only) immediately after it happened to work the disk back into the space. (what I do is not the recommended treatment though)

As someone said, disk injuries won't be detectable on x-ray. Here's an informational link:

http://http://www.dhmc.org/spine/Common_Conditions/herniated_disc.html

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
Herniated discs don't heal and an xray will show nothing. You need an MRI if you want to find anything out.
They don't "heal", but the disk can either ease back into the disk space or inflammation can decrease to the extent where pain and disability are minimal. Anti-infalmmatory medications can help. less than 10% need surgical intervention.

I

ILiftBig

Awards
Doing tbar rows with 5plates and a quarter, lowering the weight for the 3rd rep something in my lower back on the left side popped and I dropped the weights and had to lay on the floor, it hurts quite a bit, I can still move and all directions twist and bend. What did I do? I soaked in a hot tub and put icyhot and took 1.5 percocet but it is still hurting. I dont have insurance although I will probably see a chiropractor or get a massage next week.
Been there done that many times. Don't worry too much about it. From what you described it is painful but will gradually go away in a week or two. You strained a muscle and when they happened it cramped up pretty bad. I am sure you have a good size knot where it hurts.

Ice for the first two days and they you can add some heat. If you can get a hold of some muscle relaxers and a good anti-inflammatory you will heal up even faster. I honestly wouldn't spend the money on a chiropractor, but if you can find someone to set you up with some muscle stim and ultrasound that would help more. Most physical therapists can do that pretty inexpensively.

I purchased a TENS/EMS unit pretty cheaply and also a ultrasound. It is a must if you are going to stay in this game for a while. It will really save you some money in the long run and help speed up the time it take to get those injuries healed.

Now, since I see you have had this injury before, I would suggest you start working on strengthening that area a little more. I think some hypers or good mornings will help out after you are completely healed.

Good luck!

NAS

NAS

Awards
Funny you mention I need to strengthen the area, as I have been doing exercises to do just that, update: it is getting much better but there is still discomfort which is to be expected. I havent needed to take anything for pain since last Tuesday and have been able to continue my workouts except for squats and bent over anythings, I have faith it will heal although im keeping a close eye on it in the meantime. Its hard when you get bigger and want to start moving real weight not to over due it, just 25lbs can break you.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
NAS, was there any swelling or bruising in the area? Simple muscle strains do not "pop", that would be a Grade 3 muscle strain. As ILift said, you'd probably have a knot (or indentation in the area), since the "pop" results from a complete tear.

Otherwise I still think we're talking disk here. You'd be experiencing more disablilty from a complete tear.

Muscle Strain - Men's Health

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I found that rolling on one of those foam rollers really helped with tightness. I think I got mine from ****'s Sporting Goods for $20.

Bigchourico

Bigchourico

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They don't "heal", but the disk can either ease back into the disk space or inflammation can decrease to the extent where pain and disability are minimal. Anti-infalmmatory medications can help. less than 10% need surgical intervention.
They don't heal. I was told they could. Are you sure??

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
They don't heal. I was told they could. Are you sure??
The bulging of the disk may subside, (ie, no longer pressing on the nerves), but according what I've read:

"lumbar discs are made up primarily of two types of cartilage-like proteins that are not readily able to heal themselves like other tissue"

More explanation:
Herniated Discs

Another source say they DO heal:

Ruptured Lumbar Disk

Now what isn't clear is if they are reffering to a vanising of symtoms or actual healing of the disk itself....I guess from a practical standpoint, if you don't have any symptoms, you can consider yourslef "Healed". But if looking specifcally at the rupture in the disk itself...healing appears take years..if at all.

If you have a lot of time...this artilce states disk's never completely heal.

Back and Neck Injury: lumbar back pain and CAT scan results, disc bulge, MRI

I

ILiftBig

Awards
Funny you mention I need to strengthen the area, as I have been doing exercises to do just that, update: it is getting much better but there is still discomfort which is to be expected. I havent needed to take anything for pain since last Tuesday and have been able to continue my workouts except for squats and bent over anythings, I have faith it will heal although im keeping a close eye on it in the meantime. Its hard when you get bigger and want to start moving real weight not to over due it, just 25lbs can break you.
Great News! don't be afraid to take a week or two off. Its better to lose a little time healing up properly that a lot of time for not taking the time.

Something I found that works good is to take a couple of weeks doing very high repetition sets on the injured area when you can do exercise with no pain. This supersaturates the muscle and connective tissues with blood which also is loaded with nutrients need for recovery. I like about 25 to 40 reps for 1-2 sets.

NAS

NAS

Awards
well today was a pain literally, spent alot of time up and about and bending over(no jokes:nutkick:) and its is really sore and I have pain moving around gettin off the couch etc.. There was no obvious swelling and no brusing or knots so its possibly not a muscle issue, I hate to think about a herniated disk but on the web sites describing symptoms I dont have very many such as tingling, pains into my glutes/legs/calves so I dont know. I did look for TEN/EMS set ups and found one that is reasonable and am thinking about getting it when I get paid. any input on these is more than welcome.
thanks guys

http://www.lgmedsupply.com/twstteandems.html

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
were you wearing a belt?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
this raises an interesting question... the dangers of T-bar rows?

some of you guys make it sound like the devil...

ive recently started doing them (no belt)... about 120lbs not including the bar weight... im pretty sure im doing them right but is there anything one should watch for when doing these? I keep my back straight and about 45 degrees to the horizontal... lift it up with the legs etc, try not to swing the body ie keep the back steady

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The popping sound and/or feeling are not a diagnostic tool for determining that he has a herniated disc.

That's like saying "my car wouldn't start today. What do you think is wrong?" Reply: isn't there a spark plug in there? That's what made my car not start. See how silly the herniated disc replies are? I'm not saying it's not a disc issue. I'm just saying there's lacking evidence to make that assumption in any of the OP's posts.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
well today was a pain literally, spent alot of time up and about and bending over(no jokes:nutkick:) and its is really sore and I have pain moving around gettin off the couch etc.. There was no obvious swelling and no brusing or knots so its possibly not a muscle issue, I hate to think about a herniated disk but on the web sites describing symptoms I dont have very many such as tingling, pains into my glutes/legs/calves so I dont know. I did look for TEN/EMS set ups and found one that is reasonable and am thinking about getting it when I get paid. any input on these is more than welcome.
thanks guys

Dude you have a herniated disc. Figure it out.

I

ILiftBig

Awards
thanks guys

Exactly where I got mine. Hey, if its not getting any better in 2 weeks you might see a doctor.

I

ILiftBig

Awards

ive recently started doing them (no belt)... about 120lbs not including the bar weight... im pretty sure im doing them right but is there anything one should watch for when doing these? I keep my back straight and about 45 degrees to the horizontal... lift it up with the legs etc, try not to swing the body ie keep the back steady
I don't believe in a dangerous exercise. There are some that are higher risks but as long as you keep your low back in position (natural sway) you are not going to have a problem. Problems occur in the low back when lordosis caused (inward curve) or kyphosis (outward curve) and the normal sway is lost. This is what puts an inward/outward stress on the disk. So keep that natural sway in the back, shoulders back and chest out. Kind of like a good squat.

DavesNotHere

DavesNotHere

Awards

In addition to ILBs excellent advice, I would say be careful at the bottom of the movement. With heavy weight, lowering the weight too fast and too far could strain a rhomboid, or worse, knock a thoracic vertebrae out of alignment. Slow and deliberate at the bottom, don't stretch too much,and as your elbows start to bend explode up. I love this exercise for building the middle back. I don't wear a belt either, ever.

EDIT: I'm talking about the old school way of gripping the bar directly or using a double-d handle. It's better to do BB rows than use an actual t-bar IMO.

Last edited:
Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I had something similar happen 3 weeks back while i was deadlifting.. It was in my lower back, but off center, to my right side.. I could not sit, stand, bend, without ridiculous pain.

After about a week and a half went by with no improvement, i decided to give ART a try. After some examination, the Dr said i had(forgot the tech. jargon) something out of wack with my hip which was causing binding in my lower back. He released it, and i stood up, and the pain was literally GONE. I honestly could not believe it.

He wants to see me back 2 more times, and i should be good to go.. I have since done heavy rows, and deads with no pain.

Not saying this is your situation, but just letting you know that it may not be as bad as it seems.

NAS

NAS

Awards
Havnt checked this in a while but went to the chiro last monday. No disk problem, side spine xray looks perfect excellent disk space and proper curve. Back view shows curving with my scoliosis and is more exagrated, L4 seems to be where the issue is, muscles are pulling the spine to the left mild at S1, L3, T12, moderate at L1. Very high tension across the muscles in C7, T1&2 and C1 right side only. Dont know if any of that is helpful but he said that my hips were not level and the right hip was rotated up and back causing the misalignment, right leg 1/2 in short. I got an adjustment and I do feel better overall. Recommended 55 visits to fix me, I told him theres no way.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Dude you cannot see a slipped disc on an xray.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Havnt checked this in a while but went to the chiro last monday. No disk problem, side spine xray looks perfect excellent disk space and proper curve. Back view shows curving with my scoliosis and is more exagrated, L4 seems to be where the issue is, muscles are pulling the spine to the left mild at S1, L3, T12, moderate at L1. Very high tension across the muscles in C7, T1&2 and C1 right side only. Dont know if any of that is helpful but he said that my hips were not level and the right hip was rotated up and back causing the misalignment, right leg 1/2 in short. I got an adjustment and I do feel better overall. Recommended 55 visits to fix me, I told him theres no way.
Find an ART practitioner. It is worth a shot.. This sounds damn near what was wrong with me.
http://www.activerelease.com/providersearch.asp

I

ILiftBig

Awards
Hmmmmmmm.....here is one thing to remember. Anytime you have an injury, muscle constrict causing a cram. This cramping action hinders recovery, hence the reason why muscle relaxers/anti-inflammatory are prescribed. This cramping of the muscle also causes a pull on the side of the spine the injury is on, thus a curve in the spine.

I hate to say this and will probably catch hell for it, but IMHO for the most part a chiropractor's goal is to get you to have treatment for th rest of your life/long term....a physical therapists on the other hand has to the goal to get you treated and back to you normal life asap. IHMO again, I would rather spend my money on a good physical therapists if you really need the care.

DavesNotHere

DavesNotHere

Awards
Or you could find a DC that specializes in sports injuries. Not all chiros are the same...