Keys + Workout to Great Calves - AnabolicMinds.com

Keys + Workout to Great Calves

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.

Keys + Workout to Great Calves

Alright guys, my natural body type has for me to have small calfs. Unproportional to the rest of my body. I'm not inexperienced to lifting at all, I kill them, but the damn things won't grow. Any advice is welcome

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

You can't fight genetics my friend, since you say you arent experienced to lifting, may I ask why you are isolating your calves at this early part of your lifting "career" Too many guys get caught up in isolation exercises as beginners when they should be doing compound lifts instead.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.

I said I wasn't inexperienced... meaning i've been lifting for years already.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor

light weight, high reps IMO. If they don't grow after that, then it is most likely genetics. Especially if they are not proportioned to the rest of your body, unless you just don't work them out.
  5. New Member

Calves get a lot of work daily without going to the Gym. So you need to hit the with weights 2-3 times a week to start growth. What I have found is go with a weight that makes you fail around 20-25. You need to go heavy and get a Good Stretch at the bottom and good tight squeeze at the top. Don't bounce the weight nor have your knees locked. Have your legs bent just a little. Full Range of motion is important with Calf training.
  6. SFW
    Stats
    6'1"  208 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CellWarrior View Post
    Calves get a lot of work daily without going to the Gym. So you need to hit the with weights 2-3 times a week to start growth. What I have found is go with a weight that makes you fail around 20-25. You need to go heavy and get a Good Stretch at the bottom and good tight squeeze at the top. Don't bounce the weight nor have your knees locked. Have your legs bent just a little. Full Range of motion is important with Calf training.
    Exactly what he said...

I also do light and heavy days to activate both types of fibers. I have bad genetics for calves as well but i have seen SOME growth since concentrating more on form and the squeeze at the top.
  7. Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by CellWarrior View Post
    I see people ocking their knees and even raising their hips all the time.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.

thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
  9. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.

Something about locking the knees. I have always understood that by bending your knees you take out the gastrocnemius muscles and that now you are only involving the soleus. That might be why your not seeing any growth because your only training the underlying muscle. (IMO) To involve the medial and lateral head of your calves the knees need to be at full extension. If anyone has other opinions Im happy to hear them.
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.

This is because of its insertion above the knee on the femur. By having the knees bent it shorten the gastrocnemius muscle
    (taking it out of the picture).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  11. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

if you have crappy genetics...... the only thing to do is have patience. Have all the variations of raises in your workout,... constantly change it up between high/low reps, etc, and find out what works. Ive always had small calves, and i am finally getting mass on them and seeing results after years of experimenting.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Look into DC calves, worked well for me.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 06:12 PM
  3. Here is a workout i had great success with
    By ttwarrior1 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2007, 06:05 PM
  4. 5 Keys to Better Sleep
    By jjohn in forum News and Articles