Lifting performance on hot days

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
Ey guys,

the aussie summer is late this year but it arrived today... roughly 100 degrees for all you non-metrics out there (34-35c)... so anyway, I was meant to go gym today expecting to add a couple of pounds to my bench and deadlift today considering the last week or two I had been doing my weight and reps with ease... but due to the weather i figured i'd stay conservative and keep my old weight for another week...thing is once i started lifting i struggled to get the same reps as i did the previous weeks... especially in the dead lifts (doesnt help that you cant grip with sweaty hands)... but even bench and everything else dropped after expecting to add weight... i can only assume its the weather draining you of energy etc

I'm just wondering... for all the other lifters out there on this forum from a slightly warmer climate... do you find you get the same thing on hotter days? say in excess of 90 degrees (30c) or did my lower performance come due to not enough diet the last few days / possible lack of sleep?

If anyone out there knows of any evidence or experience that suggests you do drop performance in hot weather to such an extent then let me know so I can at least expect this during the next few months. It's common knowledge you overheat more, get tired etc but I didnt think it would make your bench reps drop by 20%

that aside it wasnt even that hot... when it hits 120 or so I'm screwed especially with gripping the barbell for deadlifts...

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I think a warm environment is the best environment to lift in. Now if it's really hot, that's a different story. I try to avoid the extremes in temperature and humidity.

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
you actually have a lower risk of injury in warmer climates, but you also need to know that when the temp goes up, the air thins out as well, so you may not be getting as much oxygen into your body as a result. Your body will adapt, but it will take a couple weeks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like a lack of adequate hydration, I can recall some of my best training sessions in the dead of Texas summer (~105), but you have to increase fluid consumption. Running in that weather is brutal, but weights is fine.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a lack of adequate hydration, I can recall some of my best training sessions in the dead of Texas summer (~105), but you have to increase fluid consumption. Running in that weather is brutal, but weights is fine.
Maybe... Last summer I had no problems going cardio all out all the time...

I'll see how it goes when it gets really hot through jan-feb and maybe march... its still cold so far

ILiftBig

Awards
I hear you! I workout in my garage. From about April to October the Texas heat can be from 90 too 100 with humidities in the 90% range. I have no problems. Just drink plenty and find you a good fan and you will get use to it. In fact, I kind of prefer training in the heat as opposed to training in cooler weather.