Back w/o's taking to long....what to drop?

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I start out like this......

Warm-up, stretching
Deadlifts
Pull-downs
Rows
Shrugs
Curls
DB bent over rows

The trouble is pull-downs and rows are limited to 140 pds, so I do 4 sets of 10.

I spend about an hour and 15 min, and that's too long IMO.

Most of the time is spent on pull-downs and rows, since I hafta do so many, so I was wondering if DB bent over rows are good enough and I could ditch the cable rows all together.

Any advice is appreciated.....Thanks!!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
how many sets and rep range for all those? My back workouts take a long time too but you can shorten them buy cutting sets lower and still keeping the excercises in there.

sets? reps? and what you feel is least effective.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
why is an hour and fifteen minutes too long

DanOz

Awards
If you do weighted Pull Ups and free weight rows, weight won't be a problem. Some may disagree but I think traps get alot of attention with deads and shrugs may not be necessary if you are moving some weight.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I like to give the traps a little more attention than deadlifts give them. I also do them at the top of a military press, so they're worked a bit differently.

And I usually do three sets until I get 6,6,8 reps, then up the weight and work up to the 6,6,8 again.

Chest and leg days are about 45 min, so I can get in, get out, and get on my way. I remember reading much more than that is counter-productive somehow.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you could try experimenting. i don't get a trap pump from shrugs or deads. when i dead and immediately shrug the weight at lockout i get a wicked nasty pump. that would also cut out a workout without actually cutting it out :)

geronimo542

geronimo542

Awards
it may not be wise to do deads every week cause your back takes extra long to heal almost 2x give or take than your other body parts so you could not do them every week idk its just a suggestion

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
I spend almost 2 hours in the gym @ 6 days a week.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
sometimes i would do deads on a totally different day. Like someone mentioned deads should be done with less frequency unless you are powerlifter. They tax the CNS alot if you are doing heavy deads each week.

so you do 3 sets per excercise? you could switch to two sets...

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
drop db rows and shrugs. Widen your grip on BB rows and it will hit your traps more.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna start shrugging at the end of a deadlift and see how that feels, and try the wider grip for bb rows...

Thanks!!

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
what i would do:

Warm-up, stretching...do a warmup set for each exercise and stretch between sets...this will save you 10min alone

Pull-downs
DB bent over rows (BB better cause you can use more weight)
Deadlifts
Rows

Do shrugs every other back workout and every other shoulder workout

Douche the curls and have an arms day!

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna start shrugging at the end of a deadlift and see how that feels, and try the wider grip for bb rows...

Thanks!!
yes...i sometimes superset deads with shrugs...i mean hell, the weight is already there just grab it and go to town