Smith Machine for benching

Kyser1

Awards
I own a smith machine along with a couple of other pieces of equipment,but the smith is where i do all of my benching,and incline, is there something wrong with using the smith for benching .i read that since you are forced to use limited movement that is could hender training is this true. Thanks

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
There is nothing wrong with using the Smith Machine for bench per se, however you are limiting yourself by reducing your stabilizing muscles role when benching. You get more bang for your buck if you stick to regular bench press.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
The smith machine can reduce the risk of injury given the fact the barbell only moves in a linear motion. However, like stated above it will not fully stimulate your stabilizing muscles for the press.

porkhide

Awards
You could add in some pushups to help with the stabilizing muscles, and maybe get a set of dumbells.

dpfisher

You could add in some pushups to help with the stabilizing muscles, and maybe get a set of dumbells.
Ok this is a tremendously stupid question, but I've been wondering for a long while... how do you get dumbbells UP to do a bench with them? Or is it odd that I can't hammer curl half what I can bench? I know my biceps are a weak point and they aren't for many people but it seems like there has to be an easy way that I'm missing. I mean if I really try hard and kinda roll back to use momentum I can get MAYBE 130 into position but that's not enough to be any use...

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
squat them from the floor, both dumbbells to your sides. Then, (hammer curl slightly, if you will?) them on to your thighs and sit on the bench :)

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Ok this is a tremendously stupid question, but I've been wondering for a long while... how do you get dumbbells UP to do a bench with them? Or is it odd that I can't hammer curl half what I can bench? I know my biceps are a weak point and they aren't for many people but it seems like there has to be an easy way that I'm missing. I mean if I really try hard and kinda roll back to use momentum I can get MAYBE 130 into position but that's not enough to be any use...
Dumbbell presses should be harder, but here is a video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HtBsVPMQeM"]YouTube - 160lbs x 9 Dumbbell press[/ame]

Kyser1

Awards
Thanks for the reply's and i do have a good set of db's so as long as i use them too i should be alright.I got the smith so i would'nt need a spot so i could go till failure.Guess i could take the rails down if i needed to .Thanks