Chronic Upper Forearm Pain

PC1

Just this AM I concluded a MONTH long leave from regular training. I probably benched twice in that time period, probably squatted twice, just to not feel like a complete POS.

On the tops of my forearms, where they insert into the elbow, I seem to have this chronic pain that will just NOT go away. They hurt just lifting a small pot of vegetables off the stove top for example. And I mean they haven't improved one BIT in spite of all the rest.

Since it doesn't seem to matter whether I train them or not, I'm training again. Power Cleans are definately out of the question though, along with reverse curls, both only serve to irritate them.

I've tried a topical blue emu preparation, that included other ingredients. I can't say I've done it religiously, because the stuff just smells too strong. I've also tried taking Ibuprofen for several days at a time, 600-800 mg at a time. They feel better while taking it, but neither seem to have really helped to heal the suckers to any degree.

Maybe it's just part of being almost 44 years old, I don't know. But I'm very fed up with it, and appreciate any suggestions you guys might have.

Thanks.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
What you describe is something I experienced around '98. I had switched jobs at the place I work at and started having to use 35lb to 70lb lead pigs to put highly radioactive samples in. At the time I was grabbing the pigs with just one hand and moving them from one table to another. Lo and behold, within a month I had the most excrucitaing pain in my left forearm. Any thing that had weight was impossible to grab with my left arm. I couldn't open a door without almost falling to my knees in pain. It took the better part of that year, with a lot of rest, heat, ice, NSAID's, to get past this. I think its a tendon that I strained really bad and it just takes time to heal. Good luck.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I've got the same thing in my left forearm (was diagnosed with tennis elbow) and ART helps but it didn't cure my problem. I'll say one thing about this injury, it sure has improved my form on ALL exercises involveing my upper body. I don't know the answer other than to take several months off, but since I'm not willing to do that at this point in time, I continue to train carefully.

Yimen E.Cricket

Awards
  • Established
Bump,
I have tennis elbow right now along with an aggravated shoulder on the same side. I blame it on the strength i recieved from m1T. I just overtrained my strong side i guess. I am now going to be training with dumbells for a while. For the next two weeks i will train my right side only to give the injured arm some rest.
It will force me bring my weak side up to par so im not bitching.

Does anybody have updates on their condition. This **** is painful as hell. I fell like im disabled right now.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Mine comes and goes. Still can't train biceps directly. Woenzbyn (typo) has helped, as has ART. Oh, and higher rep range and better form has helped with the pain and swelling without really affecting size.

PC1

When I'm on a PH cycle, it doesn't bother me. Once I get into PCT though the problem returns.

Greenguy

Awards
  • Established
When I'm on a PH cycle, it doesn't bother me. Once I get into PCT though the problem returns.
I have the same problem, but not as severe as yours. I think it is a strained tendon connecting the bicep to the bone of the forearm close to the elbow, but I suppose it could be the tendon connecting the forearm muscle over the elbow to the humerus.

All I can figure to do is rest it and take MSM & Glucosamine/chondroitan.

I added some Knox gelatin cause it is said to help in cartilage regeneration.

I sure hope it goes away....

Greenguy

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I'm the same. Getting getting ready to start a Methyl 1-testosterone cycle so maybe I'll have some relief for a few weeks. I'm Coming up on a year with this problem, and starting to wonder if it will ever go away.

Onslaught

Awards
  • Established
For me, icing my forearms after training helped greatly. I used to have this problem a lot, doesn't seem to happen anymore. I don't do too much preacher curling anymore and I think that has a lot to do with it. If I do use the preacher curl, I do hammer curls with DB's. A hammer grip seems to take a lot of strain off of the forearm, and it does a better job at recruiting both heads of the bicep.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
sort of quick-glanced through this thing but I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like another brachioradial thing PC1... between tennis AND lifting I used to experience a similar thing, just too much work load on the smaller muscles and when you get those micro-tears you're looking at a situation similar to shin splints... you did take a long time off so I'm surprised things were aggravated again so quickly, but I'm not too sure what can really be done... I think unfortunately, not too much. as onslaught suggested no preacher curling or any straight bar movements, but I think you can work through the injury via dumbbells. it worked for me, I still don't use straight bars for curls (no preacher either, my favorite movement is the old standing ez bar curl) but there's just that hump of getting it and the muscles around it up to speed. pain in the ass in the meantime though, good luck :)

PC1

Thanks guys. I've given this some thought and I'm fairly certain the problem began when I got back into doing heavier (for me) power cleans with 225 lbs. I liked alternating deadlifts 1 week and power cleans the following week. But one day I was using a grip that was too wide, which put WAY too much stress on my forearms from wrist all the way to elbow. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. It was hurting like a bitch, but I had it in my mind I wanted to complete the set and wasn't even thinking about the grip. Big mistake. The following power clean session, I tried backing off the weight, and narrowing my grip to the point where, when the weight was cleaned, my forearms were more perpendicular to the floor, but the damage was already done. I've not done power cleans now in a couple of months.

I think the tops of my forearms have always been the "weak link" in doing that lift anyway. Unlike deadlifts or squatts, power cleans require some speed and technique to get the weight up. I know it was the speed/heavy weight/poor form that caused the problem.

Since I've been on this PH cycle, I've taken do doing just very light (20-25 lbs each arm), concentrated reverse dumbell curls when I finish up my biceps/forearm workouts. I'm hoping that between the aforementioned rest period, no powercleans, the PH's, and some light training to strengthen the area, the problem is now behind me. They feel about 98%, but again, I know some of that is from the PH's. I'll know soon enough.

I'm a big fan of power cleans, but it may be that at my age, I'm going to have to avoid really heavy weight with lower rep ranges, and focus more on reps.

Thanks again guys, and good luck to all of you.

Yimen E.Cricket

Awards
  • Established
I experienced the most pain doing lateral dumbell raises with my palms facing the floor.

At the top of the movement i was losing control and my arm will just painfully give out.

I was hoping to add power cleans to my next routine damnit. :mad:

PC1

I experienced the most pain doing lateral dumbell raises with my palms facing the floor.

At the top of the movement i was losing control and my arm will just painfully give out.

Yimen E.......

The only lateral raises I'm doing now is to superset them with seated military presses, after doing heavier military presses. I don't go very heavy, but that movement doesn't bother mine at all?

I mention this because whatever our ailments are, they may be different. You may find you're ok doing power cleans.

Try easing into them. Rather than going for heavy weight low reps right off the bat, start with 1-2 sets of higher reps every other week. Then work your weight up, reps down over the course of 2 months. Hopefully you'll be ok and who knows, the exercise may even help your forearms. I think if I wasn't so preoccupied with heavy weight for low reps at the time, I would have been ok.

Good luck :)

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established

I don't even do lateral raises anymore except machines. I believe this movement contributed greatly to my condition.

Trapark666

Trapark666

Awards
Sounds like I have something similiar to what everyone else has although, I think my problem may be a little higher up in the arm. It hurts in the lower bicep area. I can do straight bar curls pain free but anything on the preacher bench as well as pullups, makes me want to quit lifting and pick up herion addiction. Lately, I've noticed that stretching out the muscle before the exercise seems to help somewhat but like you PC1, even after a solid month of not curling, the problem didn't go away. I've even thought about trying to get a cortisone injection but am afraid that if there is a tear in there, then I will do more damage in the long run.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like I have something similiar to what everyone else has although, I think my problem may be a little higher up in the arm. It hurts in the lower bicep area. I can do straight bar curls pain free but anything on the preacher bench as well as pullups, makes me want to quit lifting and pick up herion addiction. Lately, I've noticed that stretching out the muscle before the exercise seems to help somewhat but like you PC1, even after a solid month of not curling, the problem didn't go away. I've even thought about trying to get a cortisone injection but am afraid that if there is a tear in there, then I will do more damage in the long run.
May I suggest ART? Like you, I also feared that something in my arm was torn. A qualified ART Doc will be able to give you a pretty acurate assesmet on this. After I was examined I found out that mine is nothing more than an overuse injury. If I had to pick one thing that has helped my problem this would be it. When I first went into the ART office the my upper forarm/lower bicep area was extremely stiff and painful. Doc, said it almost felt like I had a "nodule" of scar tissue in this area. 3 sessions latter and its about 75% better. It hasn't healed completely but is mamagable if I make wise decisions when I work out. Unfortunaqtely this means eliminating certian 'favorite' exercises that probablycontributed to my injury, but at least it keeps me in the gym and making progress. ART, Trust me on this one.

bellicose

Banned
Awards
what you are experiencing is bicep tendonitis and i feel your pain bro.
It is good to warm up properly, ice elbows after lifting hard, and if it starts to really bother you then take a week off.

Mine comes and goes, usually flares up when on cycle since my strength shoots up so quickly

tgreen

Awards
Interesting thread. Ive been dealing with this crap for a year-forearm pain. It seems like nothing makes it better. Rest, NSAIDS, nothing so I just keep on training and doing what I can. It eased up after about 6 months but then I got bold and tried straight bar curls the other day. DAMN, its back. Guess it will take another 6 months to ease up. All the therapists at work (Im an RN) say to chill with the weights but I dont wanna lose size. Took too long to get this far. Anyway, getting old blows.

Rokdog

Awards
I had what my doc called tennis elbow about 1.5 years ago. I got mine from doing preacher curls. I got a little too greedy. Ibruprofen, ice, and a band I wrapped just below the injury. I think it works by moving the stress point when you stretch your tendon, down to below the connection point. I don't know if it's voodoo or not but it worked for me.

Bigmac

Awards
Tennis elbow blows! I feel like total crap taking a month or so off, but that is what my Physical Therapist said to do. I don't want to make this thing any worse.... What about a cortisone shot? Anybody get one of those? As far as I'm concerned, Working out with warm-up weights all of the time sucks! Like somebody else said, it took so long to get to this size we're at, and then you have to sit there and watch yourself shrink.....

Also, what is Woenzbyn? Somebody mentioned it in a post..

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Believe me, it (tennis elbow) has been one of the most frustrating experiences of my life, but.......there is hope. In addition to ART, 2 other things have worked wonders for me: 1) Wobenzym N, which is a systematic oral enzyme formula; 2) Eccentric exercise movements that target the affected area: http://t-mag.com/html/body_114eex.html. Do not underestimate the value of these things, I did for months, almost got the dreaded cortisone shot too, but only when I finally emplimented these 3 things did I begin to experience substantial relief. The most important thing I can say is that outside of 2-4 weeks, aditional time off does NOT help! Please, believe me, as I suffered with this ailiemt for months until finding relief from the things listed above. It has been getting better every week. Oh, and one more important thing to remember: when doing the negetives routine a little pain is ok. It should actually start to lessen each week as you perform the exercies. Any questions about my experience please ask, as I can definitely sympathise and wish to help in any way I can.

PC1

Supersize77......

Thank you for posting that article. You know, I had read that study somewhere on the internet before, perhaps even on that link. I implemented it myself in coming back from rupturing my left achilles tendon in fact. About 6 months ago I began including a few sets of eccentric focused movements in many exercises. For example, when on a PH cycle and doing multiple sets of bench press, I'd warm up by doing 5 warmup sets, do 3 sets of heavy bench press, dropping 20-30 lbs each set after the first, and finish by doing 3 sets (again dropping 20-30 lbs a set) but performing the eccentric (negative) portion slowly, over 4-5 seconds each rep. For tendon health AS WELL as for size, as I've also read articles indicating that more hypertrophy occurs as a result of eccentric stress.

Why then didn't I think to try doing negatives for my forearms?! Duh!! Sometimes we don't see the forest through the trees :)

Thanks again.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Supersize77......

Thank you for posting that article. You know, I had read that study somewhere on the internet before, perhaps even on that link. I implemented it myself in coming back from rupturing my left achilles tendon in fact. About 6 months ago I began including a few sets of eccentric focused movements in many exercises. For example, when on a PH cycle and doing multiple sets of bench press, I'd warm up by doing 5 warmup sets, do 3 sets of heavy bench press, dropping 20-30 lbs each set after the first, and finish by doing 3 sets (again dropping 20-30 lbs a set) but performing the eccentric (negative) portion slowly, over 4-5 seconds each rep. For tendon health AS WELL as for size, as I've also read articles indicating that more hypertrophy occurs as a result of eccentric stress.

Why then didn't I think to try doing negatives for my forearms?! Duh!! Sometimes we don't see the forest through the trees :)

Thanks again.
The truth also eluded me for the better part of a year. I rationalized that an overuse injury could not possibly heal by subjecting it to additional stress (eccentric movements). I was dead wrong, and thank goodness, because it worked better than I ever imagined. FYI, for my forearm, I'm using the cable attachment to do negative curls and hammer curls. These movements really hit the affected area. In the beginning it hurt pretty bad when I got to about the 15th rep (burning sensation), and presnetly it still hurts slightly when performing the negtives but in a good way. About 95% of the pain and swelling is gone. I'm blown away!!! :)

Bigmac

Awards
I rationalized that an overuse injury could not possibly heal by subjecting it to additional stress (eccentric movements).
So what exercises would you guys reccommend for Lateral Epicondylitis (spelling?) or Tennis Elbow to effectively treat it with eccentric movements. I don't want to overdo it, but want it to improve as quickly as I can.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
So what exercises would you guys reccommend for Lateral Epicondylitis (spelling?) or Tennis Elbow to effectively treat it with eccentric movements. I don't want to overdo it, but want it to improve as quickly as I can.
Find something that causes loacalized pain to the afflicted area (not debilatating pain, but some discomfort is OK), then do the eccentric portion of this movement. Use your uninjured arm to assist in doing the coenccentric portion of the movement, remove it, and perform the eccentric portion with the injured arm. Do not go to heavy in the begining (I had about a 15 rep range initially on hammer cable and concentration curls) and keep the movement smooth and controled. You can perform the eccentrics for about 3 sets 3 times a week. Stretch out the area thoughroughly after the the eccentric exercise, and ice if applicable. I found that some exercises needed to be elimnated altogether while begining to heal (chins/pullups). This is what works for me, hope it helps.

PC1

That sounds good. The only thing I'd add is try giving it some rest for awhile first, avoid the exercises that bother it for at least a couple of weeks. If you've done that to no avail, this approach is worth trying....

BTW...... so far ao good on my forearms

:)

Bigmac

Awards
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try after seeing an Orthopedic Surgeon this friday. I was told not to work out until after meeting with him. I"m hoping not to get a cortisone shot.... I've heard that this is harmful in the long term, cause it more or less masks the injury instead of helping it. Anybody have a different opinion.

Rokdog

Awards
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try after seeing an Orthopedic Surgeon this friday. I was told not to work out until after meeting with him. I"m hoping not to get a cortisone shot.... I've heard that this is harmful in the long term, cause it more or less masks the injury instead of helping it. Anybody have a different opinion.
Check out The Truth About Cortisone Shots

PC1

That sounds good. The only thing I'd add is try giving it some rest for awhile first, avoid the exercises that bother it for at least a couple of weeks. If you've done that to no avail, this approach is worth trying....

BTW...... so far ao good on my forearms

:)
I have to say that I'm pain free through the forearms now, and have been for some time.

For me, rest followed by LIGHT exercise, focusing on very SLOW negative movements, and progressing to moderate weight was the key. First time in a LONG time I've had no pain through the forearms.

I'm doing what are essentially drop sets of reverse concentrated forearm curls with a 5+ second negative, with 35 lb dumbbells. Hardly world class strength :) but believe me, last Fall, the pain would have been excruciating.

Good luck guys.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I have to say that I'm pain free through the forearms now, and have been for some time.

For me, rest followed by LIGHT exercise, focusing on very SLOW negative movements, and progressing to moderate weight was the key. First time in a LONG time I've had no pain through the forearms.

I'm doing what are essentially drop sets of reverse concentrated forearm curls with a 5+ second negative, with 35 lb dumbbells. Hardly world class strength :) but believe me, last Fall, the pain would have been excruciating.

Good luck guys.
Glad to see the negatives are working for you PC1. My forearms are pretty much pain free now and I have worked up to negative cable curls with 40 lbs. Like you said, hardly world class strength, but several months ago 25 lb negative cable curls would have been excruciating. I am also going extremely slow on the negatives and have ceased cheating on all pulling movements. These slight modifications have worked wonders for my tendonitis.