Dead lifting - reverse grip (single or double) question

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
So its said if you're struggling to maintain grip on a dead lift bar to try your weaker hand to do a reverse grip... which I have noticed feels a lot easier. But I have never heard anyone talk about or ask anything about using both hands in reverse grip? I cant see it having any possible safety effects on your posture / workout technique etc. I did try it once and felt it a lot easier to grip overall as bother hands were gripping more tightly.

I am wondering is this a technique that isn't discussed for certain reasons or would you guys recommend it?

I'm not struggling on grip just yet but eventually I will, and I'd like to also know whether this is a preferred method to hold on or should I get the wrist straps when I do get to this point? I'm the type who'd like to get as far as I can without the support of wrist straps so I can build as much natural grip strength as possible.

Thanks

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
i personally do not like the strain on the biceps while using reverse or mixed grip...when it gets to heavy i go to straps!

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
So far I am liking the one over, one under grip (mixed grip). Straps are an option, but I prefer to go max out in the mixed grips before using them.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This has been covered a million times. once you start going heavy on deads(or rack deads) do over/over or you risk tearing your bicep. i did under over up to 415 and when I can do deads again Ill lower the weight do over/over and work my way up or even use straps or hooks...once you see a video of a dude s bicep attachment tearing completely off you'll say hell no to under over from now on...

you can get away with under/over for a while when you start moving big weights you risk the bicep tearing right off the bone...

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
hmm crap never even knew about that
so at what weights (everyone has different opinions of heavy) would this become a concern? I know everyone is different but surely nobody has injured themselves doing over/under or double-under grips at 200 pounds...

I guess i'll look into straps in another 50 pounds or so

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
your good for another 200 lbs. hell even 500 is probably safe (never done it). last time I tired I got 435 to the knees and gave out. I'm talking 600 plus . still though its best to take preventive measures and know this stuff before you move up to big weight. change the grip up too using the same grip works the one side of the back in a way the other isn't worked.

I am so ready to do some Deads love em!

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
This has been covered a million times. once you start going heavy on deads(or rack deads) do over/over or you risk tearing your bicep. i did under over up to 415 and when I can do deads again Ill lower the weight do over/over and work my way up or even use straps or hooks...once you see a video of a dude s bicep attachment tearing completely off you'll say hell no to under over from now on...

you can get away with under/over for a while when you start moving big weights you risk the bicep tearing right off the bone...
Dude... I dont think so. I use mixed grip and every powerlifter I have met so far does too. As long as you are eating enough and getting your vitamins and minerals, you have to be doing something really wrong for this to happen. I watched a guy rack pull 6 plates on each side last night without any kind of problem.

crazilyfter42

Awards
Ive used mixed grip w/ 500+lbs w/ no problems. I don't like doing it any other way than that. It just doesnt feel right and my grip suffers.