5x5

N

NE1

Dont know if you guys are familiar with this type of training...basically volume, but im gonna give a try for a while. Ive never done volume training...maxing out at 6sets a body part was the most ive ever done. Its usually closer to 2-3 sets a body part..total..once a week.
So this is what IM thinking about trying. (i didnt make this up, found it on EF a while back).

Day 1 - Sunday
Quads
Squats 5x5
Hack Squats 2x8-10
Hamstrings
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 2x810
Curls 2x8-10
Calves
Seated Raises 1x75

Day 2 - Monday
Off

DAY 3 - Tuesday
Chest
Dumbell Press 5x5
Incline Smythe 2x8-10
Flyes 2x8-10
Abs
Incline Crunches 4x15-20

Day 4 - Wednesday
Back
Rack Deadlifts 5x5
Chinups 2x8-10
Shoulders
Military Press 5x5
Side Laterals 2x8-10
Shrugs 2x8-10

Day 5 - Thursday
Off
Day 6 - Friday
Off

Day 7 - Saturday
Bi's
Barbell Curls 5x5
Hammer Curls 2x8-10
Tri"s
Close Grip Bench 5x5
Dips 2x8-10
Abs
Incline Crunches 4x15-20

Only the last set would be done to failure, or close to failure. The goal is to add weight every week, obviously.

N

NE1

Stats if needed are:
5'11"
~195lbs fairly low bf
Pure Ecto.
Mid cycle of test and eq....Just took a week off of heavy, heavy lifting due a mild cold.

I

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There are different ways that 5 x 5's are done and the differences can make or break whether or not it is an effective protocol for the person doing it. Some versions have you do warm-ups, then pick a weight that JUST allows you to get 5 sets of 5 reps with a constant poundage. Others have the first 2-3 sets as warm-ups, thus they could be 135 x 5, 225 x 5 275 x 5, 315 x 5 , 315 x 5 as an example. And I have seen many do 5 sets to pretty much all out failure where they have to drop the poundage to get their sets. And yes, there are a couple other renditions.

What does a 5 x 5 do for you? If properly applied, (the version you use fits your ability to recover) doing 5 sets gives you LOTS more time under tension, and will be the make or break difference as to whether many people gain strength and size, or just strength when doing low reps. A large percentage of the population can make dramatic increases in the their poundage’s when doing a set or two of low (1-5) reps and get very little size to go along with the strength. At least until there is a LOT more weight on the bar. And while there is nothing wrong with that approach, most people want the size to strength ratio to be a little more consistent along the way. 5 x 5's can do this. One thing you need to keep in mind is that a 5 x 5 routine necessarily has a very limited number of lifts done. You don't do 5 x 5 bench press and 5 x 5 squats on chest and leg days and then follow up with 2-3 other lifts for the same bodypart(s).

BTW, I think the first rendition is the best way to do this, and even Joe average recovers well enough, and in many cases grows well. As always, the more sets you do, the lower the intensity they must be if you are to recover.

Iron Addict

J

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looks ok to me. I've used 5x5 for a long time off and on. I usualy do it for 4-6 weeks at a time. I usualy do something like:
295 305 315 305 295. I wish I had a good reason why I do it this way but I don't.lol I"ve been doing it that way for along time and don't remeber where I came across it. All I know is it always works great when I use it so I stuck with it.

N

NE1

Thanks guys.
Ill be doing this for 6 weeks...the remainder of my cycle.
Im also going to try to start adding some active recupperation...using bands to "warmup" each body part a few times a week...like what bb'rs do before they go on stage.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Very very nice tool there. Thanks for the link.

ManBeast

H

hornedfrogsAT

Awards
I've been doing the 5x5 routine for the past 4 weeks, and I am VERY impressed.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Anybody here tried the old Nebraska Huskers 5x5 workout?