Another Military Press Question

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Hey, does anyone know the difference in muscle stimulation in military/shoulder press when comparing wide grips and narrow grips? I'm very interested in finding out how I can manipulate my progress by varying my grips.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
FOr the military press I only take a neutral grip. Too wide or narrow and I would feel it in my shoulders/joints and not in a good way. I would suggest taking a grip that allows full motion without pinning your shoulder into an unnatural movement. it's easy to hurt yourself doing these improperly.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
as with all pressing motions......a wider grip will focus more of the load on your chest & shoulder muscles, while a narrower grip will utilize a little more triceps.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I use a grip that when my arms are parallel to the floor, I have a 90 degree angle between my forearms and my upper arms. It's like a perfect rectangle at the beginning of the movement.

Would that be too wide?

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
I used to do all of my overhead barbell pressing with a pinky on the rings grip, however, I recently switched to a slightly closer grip (thumbs from smooth, about 1" per side closer), and not only do I think it helps my lockout more, it is much easier on the shoulders. Don't worry, the shoulders still get plenty of work.

onimusha

Awards
On top u shud lock or not lock out? as for tricep i know u shud lock it out to be able to squeze the tricp.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
On top u shud lock or not lock out? as for tricep i know u shud lock it out to be able to squeze the tricp.
I dunno if it's right or wrong, but I refuse to lock out any joint, ever. To me the risk is too high of something going wrong.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
So everyone agrees military should be done with a narrow grip?

The_KM

The_KM

Awards
More importantly it's your elbow positioning and weight placement.

As for your question:

Weider the grip, the more your susprinatus (major rotator cuff muscle) will be at risk.
Closer the grip, the more tricep recruitment and lesser shoulder stimulation.

I'd recommend a grip linear with your acronium (end of your shoulder); "neutral" like JayHawkk said.

KM

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I have trouble understanding. I'm a visual person.

How about I post a video of me doing it the way I currently do, and you guys can critique my positioning and give me feedback?

Would that be okay?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I have trouble understanding. I'm a visual person.

How about I post a video of me doing it the way I currently do, and you guys can critique my positioning and give me feedback?

Would that be okay?
Here's what you do.

1) Sit at the bench with the bar above your head.
2) Raise your arms up to somewhat resemble a field goal
3) Make sure the angle between your forearm and your bicep is equal to 90 degrees.
4) From this position, move your hands straight up and grab the bar.

Not that difficult ;)

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I just don't get what adjustments I should make. I need someone to hold my hand and literally show me. I'm unintelligent that way.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I go down until my arms are slightly below parallel.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Is it true that mil press behind head is not good? I figure if I do some from behind head, it helps to target my traps. But I don't want to mess up my shoulders in the long run.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
it depends if you are flexible enough.

try it and if it feels okay, dont worry about it