Poll: abs every day or not?

abs every day?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. I know this might sound wierd but the less i train my abs the better they start to show(within reason). If i hit them to often my muscle gets stronger without the definition, if i only train them lightly once or twice a week at the end of a lift they burn and show better. A friend once told me abs are 80% diet, 10 % genetic and 10% training

2. I do abs till they burn, if they are sore the next day, then i won't but i usually have a fast recovery with them
    •   

3. I don't see the point in working out your abs more than once a week, considering you practically work them out each time you do exercises that solicit your core.

4. You don;t work chest every day...legs everyday...abs are muscles just as these are...train them as such...not everyday.

5. I never do any direct ab work. Squats, GMs, dead lifts, and they seem to be working fine.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Maverick60 View Post
    I never do any direct ab work. Squats, GMs, dead lifts, and they seem to be working fine.

+1...agreed and same here. Every now and then I do weighted decline crunches...at best 2 sets per week of 8-10 reps with 75 lb Db on chest. Done.

7. Quote Originally Posted by D3vildog View Post
    I do abs till they burn, if they are sore the next day, then i won't but i usually have a fast recovery with them
    Soreness isn't an indicator of growth and neither is the burning. The burning is the build up of muscle toxins like lactic acid. The soreness is caused by either new fiberal patterns (new exercises) or the build up of lactic acid the day before.

I get pumps but never burns and am seldom sore but still make gains.

8. Quote Originally Posted by D3vildog View Post
    I do abs till they burn, if they are sore the next day, then i won't but i usually have a fast recovery with them
    x2

If their sore, i wait...if not, burn baby burn.

But nothing is the same for everyone

9. try doing some plank type exercies to really build up your inner core. Ever since I started doing those, I notice my abs starting to protrude more. I hold a pose for 1 minute laying face down supporting myself on my forearms. I then switch to the sides. So i do 3 sets for a total of 3 minutes of holding my bodyweight up using only my core. Believe me, its tough. If 1 minute is easy, up it 15 to 30 seconds.

10. I never train abs, and I have a six-pack....personally, I think it comes down to doing the big compound lifts, and having a solid diet. Genetics probably plays a role, too, but I think it basically comes down to diet.

11. There is a great book out there made by Health for Life called Legendary Abs. I believe that there is also a second book that went into print. Very good info and has been around for a very long time. There is no need to do them everyday. Diet is the most essential aspect of having the abs show themselves. The correct balance of diet, exercise, and sleep must be found. OR ...take up slalom skateboarding...pumping upwards of 10 milesor pumping the deck uphill is the best cardio ab/oblique work out I have ever done.
  •