Just started working out

nightside1234

Awards
Ive just started working out. Where should i start at with lifting??

Should I start out cutting?? reps//sets?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
total body, compound moves - three times per week. something like:

squats
bench
deads
military press
clean and press
pull ups or chins

4 sets of 8 on monday, 4 sets of 10 on wednesday, 4 sets of 6 on friday, but you add 2.5 plates per side on friday. every month you're going up by 20 pounds in weight, and always altering reps - those are keys for growth - changing things up and going up in weight.

you could add more compound moves to the above, but those are the basics for adding some size.

nightside1234

Awards
My workout

Could someone suggest what kinds of foods i should be eating for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner and snacks

Monday

5:30 AM- Wake up

6-8 AM Swim @ Ball Pool

8:15 AMBreakfeast

8:30-9:30 Lifting @ Weight room

10-12 Homework in Library

12-1 Business Law

1-2 English

3-6 Lunch//Nap/ Homework

7-9 Swimming @ Lewellen pool

9:15 Dinner

Tuesday

5:30 Wake up

6-8 Swimming @ Ball Pool

8:15 Breakfeast

8:30-10 Nap// Lunch

10:30- 11:30 Lift @ weight room

Noon-1pm Swimm @ Ball Pool

2-3:15 Art History Class

3:15-6:30- Dinner/Nap/ Homework

7-9 Swimming @ Lewellen Pool

Wensday

6-8 Swim @ Ball Pool

12-1 Business Law

1-2 English

3-6 Lunch//Nap/ Homework

9:15 Dinner

Thursday

6-8 Swimming @ Ball Pool

8:30-11:45 Nap// Lunch// Homework

Noon-1pm Swimm @ Ball Pool

2-3:15 Art History Class

3:15-6:30- Dinner/Nap/ Homework

7-9 Swimming @ Lewellen Pool

Friday

6-8 Swim @ Ball Pool

12-1 Business Law

1-2 English

3-6 Lunch//Nap/ Homework

6-8 Swimming @ Lewellen pool

8:15 Dinner

Saturday

6:30 AM Wake up

7am-8:30am Swimming @ Ball Pool

9:15 Breakfeast

10:00am - 11:15 am Lifting @ weight room

11:30am-1pm Swimming @ Ball Pool

2 pm - Lunch

Rest of Day FREE

Sunday

9:00 AM Wake up

9:15 AM Breakfeast

1:00 PM Lunch

4pm-6pm Swimming @ Ball Pool

7:00 PM Dinner

nightside1234

Awards
Height / Age / Weight ?

Height = 5' 11

Age= 21

Weight = 185-188

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
the numbers sound good. regardless of the fat amount, your body is USED to holding weight, which makes your joints a little stronger than super skinny guys. whats your body fat at?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
5:30 AM- Wake up - 75g WMS + 25g PROTEIN - you're going swimming and will burn all those calories up

6-8 AM Swim @ Ball Pool

8:15 AMBreakfeast - 4 eggs, mix 1 scoop of whey in milk and add it to a cup of granola - hitting the weights soon

8:30-9:30 Lifting @ Weight room - finish with 75g WMS + 25-35g protein

10-12 Homework in Library - snack on nuts or string cheese

12-1 Business Law - nuts or string cheese after class

1-2 English - same

3-6 Lunch//Nap/ Homework - turkey or tuna on wheat, no mayo

6:45 - WMS + protein. this is redundant, but swimming will burn up gobs of calories.

9:15 Dinner - steak or chicken breast, with brown rice

bedtime - 2 tbsp natural peanut butter

this sounds right. you'll have to adjust portions to meet your needs, but the timing, amount of protein, etc should be pretty good. swimming that much is going to lean you out like crazy. some of the pro swimmers just do mcdonalds and fast food because of how fast their metabolism is.

nightside1234

Awards
and what types of protein is best suggested?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
waxy maize starch. its a fast digesting carb. you can also do dextrose. pure sugar won't kill you if you're burning off the carbs from swimming. WMS is considered to be better for your health, but the way you will burn through calories, it probably won't matter.

also, the speed of absorption will help make sure that you're not swimming on a full stomach.

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
listen to sun cloud, seriously. take notes and pay attention, if i had actually listened and done what he suggested i wouldnt have wasted 3 months.

My suggestion along with everything sun cloud says, do a 5x5. Stronglifts starting strength is a good one, its what ive been using and im seeing some great progress

nightside1234

Awards
Good STUFF SUN

what site do you suggest getting waxy maize starch from?

Any other supplements to add into this?
creatine
BCAA's?
Multi vit. ??

nightside1234

Awards
Sweet sounds good!!!

Ill post an update very soon!

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
total body, compound moves - three times per week. something like:

squats
bench
deads
military press
clean and press
pull ups or chins

4 sets of 8 on monday, 4 sets of 10 on wednesday, 4 sets of 6 on friday, but you add 2.5 plates per side on friday. every month you're going up by 20 pounds in weight, and always altering reps - those are keys for growth - changing things up and going up in weight.

you could add more compound moves to the above, but those are the basics for adding some size.

Sun, I like this, I would like to give it a shot after my current routine is up.

But a question, how does the 6-8-10 work with lifts like the presses, pulls and chins?

Doing all of those in a day, 3x a week would be brutal!

I guess I'm looking at it like a modified 5x5 with workout A and B. So I can see the progression with squats, but I'm trying to wrap my head around how I'd do 6-8-10 and add 5lbs per week to each lift? Ideas or can you point out what I'm missing?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
its similar to the 5x5 in that provided you're in good shape, you'll recover faster than you think. to get down to doing this three times a week takes some work. you might try it twice a week until your body starts recovering faster.

for pulls/chins, just add a weight belt, or hold a DB with your feet. the theory here (i did this for a couple months) is that when you add 5 pounds, you drop the reps to make it possible. you can't just add 5 lbs, do as many reps, and have the same recovery - not possible. so you add the weight on friday, since you'll have three days to recover from it rather than two. then you up the reps till 10, and do it all over again.

when i did this, it took my body 3 weeks before i could do this three times per week. it is hard, but it does work. the 5x5 works on the same principle. some workouts you do every other day, sometimes the same body part - squats i remember are like this. the key to doing a workout every other day is you cannot train the muscle like a pro bodybuilder.

nowhere in the 5x5 does the same muscle do multiple exercises, unless those muscles are playing secondary roles. the above are the 6 exercises that will challenge you, while not repeating the same movement. the clean and press, while putting a contradiction to my words, will help tie your connector muscles together, and help teach your muscles to work with one another. try this workout for a couple months and you'll see what i mean. whether its vaulting a fence, restraining your dog, picking up your kid, you'll notice how much easier many of your daily movements are.

when you become stuck - you cannot increase the weight, switch the movement for something similar. squat for front squat, deadlifts for sumo deads (or suitcase deads), pull ups for chins or barbell rows, etc. when you hit a sticking point, move on to another similar compound move. keep progressing. when that one hits a plateau, switch back to the original, and you will destroy your previous plateau.

this workout combines a couple different theories - 5x5 and constant progression of weights, DC and dropping exercises that you aren't benefiting from, altering reps/weights to keep your body slightly confused, etc. i'm sure there are other theories being used in this workout as well. anyways, let me know if i answered your questions to your satisfaction.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Well, I'm wondering if I'm going to be doing:

squats
bench
deads
military press
clean and press
pull ups or chins

All in 1 day, 3 days a week? By the time you're doing 4x10 that seems like a lot of volume in one day.

I've been doing the 5x5 for 10 weeks now and have 2 more to go. Then I'm changing it up, just looking for the next routine. I'm just used to benching 2x a week and then 1x the next week. But with 5x5 there is no question on how many reps for the weight. You just add and do 5x5. If I just add weight on this program, I won't make it to the 4x10.

So that is where I'm confused as to where to progress on the weights. Or would the bench, military presses cycle go over the 2 weeks before adding weight? For example;

Week A

Mon
squats (6 reps)
bench (6 reps)
cleans
dips (6 reps)

Wed
squats (8 reps)
military (6 reps)
dead
pull up (6 reps)

Friday
squat (10 reps)
bench (8 reps)
cleans
dips (8 reps)

Week B

Mon
squats (6 reps)
military (8 reps)
dead
pull up (8 reps)

Wed
squats (8 reps)
bench (10 reps)
cleans
dips (10 reps)

Friday
squats (10 reps)
military (10 reps)
dead
pull up (10 reps)

The next week add 5lbs and then start over. How about deads and cleans? Follow the same cycle?

:think: dizmal :think: :icon_lol:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
yeah, its a lot of volume. if you do them as supersets, its quicker. like 35 minutes. and its a blast!

4x8 monday
squats
bench
deads
military press
clean and press
pull ups or chins

4x10 wednesday
squats
bench
deads
military press
clean and press
pull ups or chins

4x6 friday + 5 lb more
squats
bench
deads
military press
clean and press
pull ups or chins

if you're ending a 5x5 cycle, try this for a month. trust me, you'll feel incredible.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Hahaha ****. Alright, this sounds fun!

I can only imagine how I'm going to feel. Like hammered ****! :hammer:

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
That workout is genius sun, you've been holding out on me. I can't wait to try it after my 5x5. Its frkn great, love ya man

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
I have a couple questions about your workout sun.

Are there warm up sets in the 4 or do you do warm ups before 4 sets of max?

What is a superset?

and what would you suggest for me since i have huge legs and tiny arms and can barely do 3 chinups and maybe 5 pulls? im like a t-rex, no way can i crank out a lot of body weight movements with my arms

nightside1234

Awards
how many weeks should i do my 5x5 cycle?

nightside1234

Awards
5:30 AM- Wake up - 75g WMS + 25g PROTEIN - you're going swimming and will burn all those calories up

6-8 AM Swim @ Ball Pool

8:15 AMBreakfeast - 4 eggs, mix 1 scoop of whey in milk and add it to a cup of granola - hitting the weights soon

8:30-9:30 Lifting @ Weight room - finish with 75g WMS + 25-35g protein

10-12 Homework in Library - snack on nuts or string cheese

12-1 Business Law - nuts or string cheese after class

1-2 English - same

3-6 Lunch//Nap/ Homework - turkey or tuna on wheat, no mayo

6:45 - WMS + protein. this is redundant, but swimming will burn up gobs of calories.

9:15 Dinner - steak or chicken breast, with brown rice

bedtime - 2 tbsp natural peanut butter

this sounds right. you'll have to adjust portions to meet your needs, but the timing, amount of protein, etc should be pretty good. swimming that much is going to lean you out like crazy. some of the pro swimmers just do mcdonalds and fast food because of how fast their metabolism is.
when you say 75g WMS + 25g PROTEIN i know what WMS is, but for protein do i use a food compound or whey drink?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I have a couple questions about your workout sun.

Are there warm up sets in the 4 or do you do warm ups before 4 sets of max?

What is a superset?

and what would you suggest for me since i have huge legs and tiny arms and can barely do 3 chinups and maybe 5 pulls? im like a t-rex, no way can i crank out a lot of body weight movements with my arms
warmup is first, i just do a light one (1 set) to get the blood flowing, then do the workout.

a superset is where you do two exercises back to back:

squats
bench
30 second break
squats
bench
30 second break
squats
bench
30 second break
squats
bench
1-2 minute break before next set of exercises.

if you're at 3 chins and 5 pulls, do that for each set - do the 3 chins, then the 5 pulls, next exercise, etc.

try to identify what the weak muscle is. if its your biceps, you might want to train them harder to get them up to speed. or you can just jump into this workout doing what you can, and you'll gradually build them up that way.

the above workout is nasty, but it will put size on you quick.

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
thanks for the help sun cloud, i cant wait to start this workout.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
no problem brotha. can i ask a favor if possible :

when you do this if you don't mind, run a log with before / after pics. resolve and i both gained 30+ pounds doing total body workouts (haven't seen his workout yet). it would be really cool to see progression / monthly pics to help point people in the right direction. its also a great motivational tool to help push yourself just a little bit harder.

anyways, whatever you decide, this should really put some size on you - about 2 pounds per month, mostly lean, provided you have a surplus of calories.

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
sure np, ill take a log with pics and progress reports

ive been on my 5x5 for a months or so, is it too soon to switch workouts?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you can switch whenever you want, but i'd run 5x5 for another 2-4 weeks, so you can get the most out of it. its really up to you.

nightside1234

Awards
Sounds good ill post before and after pictures..

Also, how many weeks should i do my 4X8 4X10 4X6??

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
as long as you want. i did mine for 6 months, switching out exercises i hit the wall at. when you hit the wall on the 2nd exercise, switch back to the first, and you'll drop some weights, but you'll break through your old plateau. you could do this longer if you wanted to, but in 6 months you'll get 90% of the gains you'll ever get from this workout. by the end of the first month though, you should already notice a huge increase in functional strength, as well as putting on some muscle.

when i did this, my calorie intake was huge, i gained about 2 pounds per month. my workout partner was cutting (no supps), and lost 2 inches off his waist in one month, so plan your calories to fit your needs.

again, with swimming, you'll probably notice that your caloric needs are 2-3 times what most people's is, and this is perfectly normal. the diet i posted for you is a guideline, but at some point, you may need to double that, with the amount of swimming you do.

nightside1234

Awards
good stuff, thank you I cant wait to hit up my 3rd workout for the day now

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
well i know everyone talks about not having "workout ADD" and switching all the time, but i really do have ADD and stuff looses interest fast. but it really should matter exactly how im lifting weights, just that i am lifting weights, at least since im still a beginner it shouldnt matter

so im gunna start this today and ill keep a log and track my results for you(and myself) Wish me luck!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
well i know everyone talks about not having "workout ADD" and switching all the time, but i really do have ADD and stuff looses interest fast. but it really should matter exactly how im lifting weights, just that i am lifting weights, at least since im still a beginner it shouldnt matter

so im gunna start this today and ill keep a log and track my results for you(and myself) Wish me luck!

you'll notice that it forces you to push just a little harder, squeeze out that one extra rep. its a phenomenal motivational tool.

if you feel the need to switch things up, you can rotate the order of this. i think that if you gave it a month, you'd never look back. its hard to loose motivation when you're making gains!

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
you'll notice that it forces you to push just a little harder, squeeze out that one extra rep. its a phenomenal motivational tool.

if you feel the need to switch things up, you can rotate the order of this. i think that if you gave it a month, you'd never look back. its hard to loose motivation when you're making gains!
ok i tried this workout and i noticed one thing RIGHT away, there is way to much tricep workout in this, press, clean and press, and bench is too much for such a regular basis. theres also a lack of back workout and bicep.
I recommend throwing in 4 sets of rows for added upper back and bicep workout, and take out the solo presses and just have the clean and press to balance it out.

The other thing i noticed right away is that this is oneBEAST of a workout, that i honestly dont have the stamina to do. What can i do to get more energy to last me through the workout?:woohoo:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you don't feel your back challenged with pullups and deads?

biceps i will admit is a little on the weak side. as far as stamina goes, you could try a NO booster, or EAA's. for me, i just went with 1000mcg of B-12 post workout. if you don't feel your back tomorrow, i'm lost. you really should feel this.

thanks for trying it though, it really did add serious size to me, and i hope it will for you as well.

as far as the clean and press goes, i did them pretty light, as i got beaten down doing this workout.

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
you don't feel your back challenged with pullups and deads?

biceps i will admit is a little on the weak side. as far as stamina goes, you could try a NO booster, or EAA's. for me, i just went with 1000mcg of B-12 post workout. if you don't feel your back tomorrow, i'm lost. you really should feel this.

thanks for trying it though, it really did add serious size to me, and i hope it will for you as well.

as far as the clean and press goes, i did them pretty light, as i got beaten down doing this workout.
i had to quit before i did the deads, i just didnt have the stamina to do them with good form and be sure i wasnt gunna hurt myself. but even if i had, deads dont do much for your upper back, the pull ups are really the only thing that hits them. A row would compliment the pullups and chins nicely and really hit your upper back which if it isnt trained right can easily lag behind the rest of your body and end up with a very alkward muscle imbalance.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
ahh. it makes sense now. good god! i thought you did deads and still couldn"t feel it!

deads are pretty important to this workout. if you want to sub pullups/chins for barbell rows, more power to you - this is a guideline on what works for most - not what works best for YOU.

the 4 that absolutely cannot be taken out though, are bench, deads, squats, clean and press. these are the 3 best test boosters, followed by the 2nd best GH booster. the others are various compound movements that stimulate muscles that the above 4 don't focus on. anyways, hope i answered your question, and let me know how this ends up treating you.

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
one more question
Is it possible to hit CNS failure(ie overtrain) in one workout. cause after that workout i got the sh**iest sleep ever. maybe 2 hours total. any idea what happened?

and im not gunna remove the pulls/chins just add a row, and replace the presses with push ups

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
one more question
Is it possible to hit CNS failure(ie overtrain) in one workout. cause after that workout i got the sh**iest sleep ever. maybe 2 hours total. any idea what happened?

and im not gunna remove the pulls/chins just add a row, and replace the presses with push ups
shouldn't happen in one workout. you'll probably recover in a few days - you'll have to work yourself up to doing this 3x per week, since it is pretty nasty, as you've found out already. once you get there though, you'll be cruising like nobody's business.

this workout used to put me to sleep like a baby; i was too tired to do anything else!

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
shouldn't happen in one workout. you'll probably recover in a few days - you'll have to work yourself up to doing this 3x per week, since it is pretty nasty, as you've found out already. once you get there though, you'll be cruising like nobody's business.

this workout used to put me to sleep like a baby; i was too tired to do anything else!
yeah, im going to keep it to two times a week for the first couple weeks
The weird thing is after the workout, instead of crashing and being dog tired, which i was, i kept waking up and not being able to sleep, i seriously only got at most 2 hours of good sleep. Any ideas? or did i just have some random fluke of bad sleep?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
clueless. did you take any supps that you haven't taken before?

nightside1234

Awards
Just thought id post an update =]

I started my diet, and ive been doing great!! I have always hated eggs in my life, but the motivation pumping through my blood for a change makes them ohhh sooo tasty!

Workouts in swimming have been really tuff. Trying to get back in shape.

Today was the 2nd day of weights, I was extremely sore from Monday and took me a good warm up set to be able to get the motion back in my muscles. After lifting i was impressed with how pumped up my body looked in the mirror

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Just thought id post an update =]

I started my diet, and ive been doing great!! I have always hated eggs in my life, but the motivation pumping through my blood for a change makes them ohhh sooo tasty!

Workouts in swimming have been really tuff. Trying to get back in shape.

Today was the 2nd day of weights, I was extremely sore from Monday and took me a good warm up set to be able to get the motion back in my muscles. After lifting i was impressed with how pumped up my body looked in the mirror
awesome! you should notice an increase in functional strength pretty quick, which will be all the more important in becoming a great swimmer. keep us updated brotha.

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
nope, i only take protein powder and creatine, nothing new

i dont have ready access to a pool, or time to swim since im still in highschool, is that really necessary or just added for weight loss or something?