marines VS bulking

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
i plan on joining the marines in about a year. right now i am really trying to bulk up and lift for power. but in the marines they are going to want me real lean and have great cardio. is there any thing i can do to still gain size, strength, and up my cardio. :aargh:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
IMO I would hold off until basic is over. I have not had the pleasure of serving but everything I have read indicates the first 2 years are crazy cardio time. You can work on certain degree of strength along with the stamina..but I would definitely lean towards stamina.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
ya your probably right. but i realy dont want to lose the strength that i already have.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Crossfit.com, check it out. Functional training that will strengthen you as a whole.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I would start working on running, core strength, and pull ups. In recruit training you will pt but its not that bad. When I went I could run 1.5 miles in like 12 minutes, out of shape to say the least. I graduated boot camp running 3 miles in 20 minutes. Well serving in this gun club you will pt, and you'll pt often. My addvice lift, but throw some cardio in there. I normally run like 4-6 miles everymorning, then swim like 2.5 hours a day. Then I workout twice a day for one hour. It takes its tole on the body but you get use to it. If you have any question with anything hit me up. Mark

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I personally dont think crossfit is anything that great. We have the Crossfit people on all bases. What makes it so good, or better than other ways on training?

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I personally dont think crossfit is anything that great. We have the Crossfit people on all bases. What makes it so good, or better than other ways on training?
Yeah I see the crossfit disciples on base too. It's good for OVERALL conditioning to the exclusion of being outstanding in any one specific area (strength, speed, endurance, power). Just like anything else, it's what you put into it...if you bust your ass on crossfit, you'll see good overall results.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
i plan on joining the marines in about a year. right now i am really trying to bulk up and lift for power. but in the marines they are going to want me real lean and have great cardio. is there any thing i can do to still gain size, strength, and up my cardio. :aargh:
You've got PLENTY of time. It's perfectly ok for you to bulk within reason for 6-8 months; don't stop running completely though, just tone down the frequency/duration. After that you can start shifting the focus of your training to make it more boot camp specific (there are plenty of boot camp prep programs out there). Even if you lose alot of strength and size in boot camp, you will still have muscle memory you developed while bulking. Once you get into the fleet you can refocus on getting swole.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
PS- I'm in the same situation you are except not with the Marines. I am going to keep bulking and just monitor my PT progress. If I'm not getting where I need to be, I'll start cutting weight.

As for crossfit, it just makes you strong as **** with your body weight or other plausible weights but also incorporates enough running to get the best of all worlds. Obviously these goals could be met without crossfit, but the crossfit system just makes it easier. Downside about crossfit is the necessary equipment. It isn't exactly convenient for me to do power cleans, then run down 4 flights of stairs and across the street to the track to run the required 800m or whatever.

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
If you get to be some of the Marines that where on my ship last deployment we went on you where more then welcome to bulk! Most of the Marines on board here used the time they had to throw on some great mass.

The truth is that after basic and even with PT they did it was not such that they couldn't get bigger. After 6 months on the ship anyone that tried was doing very well.

You may be working against the grain a bit but if your eatting enough all that cardio can be blunted decently.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I personally do not think you running three miles a day, is going to hinder you from increasing your body mass. Maybe if you where an endurance athlete, I could understand that its going effect your bodys ability to put on weight, but its possible.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I personally do not think you running three miles a day, is going to hinder you from increasing your body mass. Maybe if you where an endurance athlete, I could understand that its going effect your bodys ability to put on weight, but its possible.
I think if he's focusing on bulking then 3miles EOD, no more than 3x per week, would be more than enough to maintain running stamina. That's borderline too; much more would likely be too much if he's natural. He can always increase the mileage before he ships.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I see the crossfit disciples on base too. It's good for OVERALL conditioning to the exclusion of being outstanding in any one specific area (strength, speed, endurance, power). Just like anything else, it's what you put into it...if you bust your ass on crossfit, you'll see good overall results.

I just personally don't like crossfit. I like the idea of it but I hate the workouts. In my opinion its a real fast way to get hurt. I cross train in my different ways, here is a list of some. I also do some circuits where I get on a rowing machine row for like 10 minutes as hard as possible, then get on a stationary bike, I pedal like for 20 minutes, then I go outside, and run as fast as my body well allow me for 2 miles.

Sprints 100, 200, 400 meters
Plyometerics, frog jumps, box jumps
Sled drags- running, walking, forward, backwards.
Tire flips
Farmer Walks
Olympic lifting Squats, power cleans, clean & jerk, overhead squat, snatch, good mornings
Circuit Training- pull ups, push ups, lunges, BW squats. Run bleachers

GXbcmFTO

Awards
If you get to be some of the Marines that where on my ship last deployment we went on you where more then welcome to bulk! Most of the Marines on board here used the time they had to throw on some great mass.

The truth is that after basic and even with PT they did it was not such that they couldn't get bigger. After 6 months on the ship anyone that tried was doing very well.

You may be working against the grain a bit but if your eatting enough all that cardio can be blunted decently.
Yup this is no Joke, the Marines, well the grunts at least, on my ship had absolutly NO JOB on the ship, so while we were out to sea all they did was eat, sleep, lift and clog up the toilets heh, some of em thought it was okay to put clothes/shoes down the toilets when they ran out of TP....

But the Intel Marines I served with actually had a job and most of them just ran and stayed in decent shape, but didn't go for mass like the grunts did.

~GX

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
i would'nt exactly "bulk" but i would focus on upper body strength and condtioning. Calestenics (cant spell) and running. Make sure you can do some pull ups too and dont be a fatass. got any questions about what to expect Marine Corps wise PM me.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
I would start working on running, core strength, and pull ups. In recruit training you will pt but its not that bad. When I went I could run 1.5 miles in like 12 minutes, out of shape to say the least. I graduated boot camp running 3 miles in 20 minutes. Well serving in this gun club you will pt, and you'll pt often. My addvice lift, but throw some cardio in there. I normally run like 4-6 miles everymorning, then swim like 2.5 hours a day. Then I workout twice a day for one hour. It takes its tole on the body but you get use to it. If you have any question with anything hit me up. Mark
:goodpost:

even with running so much were you still making gains Mark. right now i do work on my core strength often enough. and i also maximize on my pullups. right now i am up to 18 (palms out wide grip, with perfect form) and about 75 pushups. is that enough. and if i were to start running about 3 miles a day 3 days a week would i keep making gains in strength and cardo.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
i would'nt exactly "bulk" but i would focus on upper body strength and condtioning. Calestenics (cant spell) and running. Make sure you can do some pull ups too and dont be a fatass. got any questions about what to expect Marine Corps wise PM me.

i am about 10 % body fat right now and it is a pain in the ass for me to lose it even with a good diet. is that low enough?

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
and as for crossfit i looked at the websight but i didn't exactly see a set workout.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
i am about 10 % body fat right now and it is a pain in the ass for me to lose it even with a good diet. is that low enough?

even with running so much were you still making gains Mark. right now i do work on my core strength often enough. and i also maximize on my pullups. right now i am up to 18 (palms out wide grip, with perfect form) and about 75 pushups. is that enough. and if i were to start running about 3 miles a day 3 days a week would i keep making gains in strength and cardo.
10% is great. As long as you stay under 18% bf you will be fine in the Marine Corps world. Also, 18 pull-ups is awesome. Max for points on a PFT is 20. Trust me, you sound like you are gonna be alot better off than most guys in your boot camp platoon. It likely you will be made a guide/squad leader as long as you stay physically fit and show leadership ability!

What is your three mile time? Max points is 18mins and minimum points is 28 mins. If you are in the low 20's you wont need to be running so much. Be careful because when i was stationed in Pensacola i got some seriously bad shin splints from running too much.

All in all, you sound like your in good shape. Keep it up. Rah!

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
To be honest i look at bulking before recruit training to be pointless... boot camp is 3 months long and in those 3 short months you will lose weight and alot of it wont be good weight unless you are a fat body. When i went to Marine recruit training I lost a good amount of muscle... lost about 25-30 lbs total.. from 198 to 170ish...

the problem the training in boot camp is all about endurance... and while training for endurance you start losing alot of mass... there is no way to do heavy weight low reps... its all body weight to failure and a ton of running

IMO i would wait to bulk until afterwards

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
Word. Condtioning is key, no doubt

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
To be honest i look at bulking before recruit training to be pointless... boot camp is 3 months long and in those 3 short months you will lose weight and alot of it wont be good weight unless you are a fat body. When i went to Marine recruit training I lost a good amount of muscle... lost about 25-30 lbs total.. from 198 to 170ish...

the problem the training in boot camp is all about endurance... and while training for endurance you start losing alot of mass... there is no way to do heavy weight low reps... its all body weight to failure and a ton of running

IMO i would wait to bulk until afterwards
I agree that bulking IMMEDIATELY prior to boot camp isn't optimal but the guy that started this thread isn't leaving for another year. Muscle memory does exist and focusing on size and strength now will only make it easier him to regain in the future (after boot camp). There is no reason to put off "bulking" for such an extended period of time IF that's what he wants to do. BTW, when I say bulk I mean adding leaning tissue at slightly above maintenance calories while maintaining decent cardiovascular fitness vs. putting on a bunch of fat and muscle and getting completely unconditioned. As I said before, he can always shift gears to prioritize endurance training in the weeks prior to shipping.

Also, 18 pull ups is very good. Increasing your pull ups is the fastest way to improve your PFT score as they are 5 points per repetition...if you can get 18 now you can definitely get 20 and that's 10 extra easy points.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
10% is great. As long as you stay under 18% bf you will be fine in the Marine Corps world. Also, 18 pull-ups is awesome. Max for points on a PFT is 20. Trust me, you sound like you are gonna be alot better off than most guys in your boot camp platoon. It likely you will be made a guide/squad leader as long as you stay physically fit and show leadership ability!

What is your three mile time? Max points is 18mins and minimum points is 28 mins. If you are in the low 20's you wont need to be running so much. Be careful because when i was stationed in Pensacola i got some seriously bad shin splints from running too much.

All in all, you sound like your in good shape. Keep it up. Rah!

as for my running right now it is horrible. my three mile is probably right about 26 min. but i have been trying to improve.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
I agree that bulking IMMEDIATELY prior to boot camp isn't optimal but the guy that started this thread isn't leaving for another year. Muscle memory does exist and focusing on size and strength now will only make it easier him to regain in the future (after boot camp). There is no reason to put off "bulking" for such an extended period of time IF that's what he wants to do. BTW, when I say bulk I mean adding leaning tissue at slightly above maintenance calories while maintaining decent cardiovascular fitness vs. putting on a bunch of fat and muscle and getting completely unconditioned. As I said before, he can always shift gears to prioritize endurance training in the weeks prior to shipping.

Also, 18 pull ups is very good. Increasing your pull ups is the fastest way to improve your PFT score as they are 5 points per repetition...if you can get 18 now you can definitely get 20 and that's 10 extra easy points.

i have been told about muscle memory before. how long does it take to regain say 10lb back.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
i have been told about muscle memory before. how long does it take to regain say 10lb back.
10lbs of muscle? I mean i can gain about 10lbs a week by dominating some pizza and chocolate milk...haha.

To gain 10lbs of muscle is all up to you and depends on many factors: training, genetics, protien intake, etc.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
i train hard, eat healthy, eat ALOT, a few naturaly decent sized guys in my family so genetics are decent, and gaining weight is easy up to the 160 i am at now.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
and yes trust me i was talking about 10 lb of muscle.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I was a Fat Body in boot and lost about 70lbs, not a bad way to loose weight but for the mot part i would work on endurance, you will have plenty of chances to eat loads of protein during chow... i mean you will learn to eat a full plate in like 3 minutes if you need to.. so it depends on how hard your gonna work, you will see more definition than anything. But i saw some guys bulk up a good 2olbs by the end of recruit training.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
i would really like to get cut while strength maintaining. i would be very happy with that even if i platoughed on strength. and wouldn't that be better than bulking right now. because i believe that that would help my running, pullups, pushups, situps, etc.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
just work on your three mile and keep up on pullups and core strength and you will be fine dood. Dont sweat it.

Keep in mind.......... those Drill instructors are gonna make you strong... trust me.

And it's all fun and games!.......... At least for them.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
just work on your three mile and keep up on pullups and core strength and you will be fine dood. Dont sweat it.

Keep in mind.......... those Drill instructors are gonna make you strong... trust me.

And it's all fun and games!.......... At least for them.

Haha true that! Racks to the other side of the squad bay... DEEP.... MOVE! Come back right now... FREEEZE!

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
Zzzeeeeerrrrrrooooooooooo!!!!

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
hahaha all that shxt sucked while going through it... but looking back that shxt was so funny... id do it again in a second... plus the BAMF feeling you have when you get that eagle globe and anchor is great

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
hahaha all that shxt sucked while going through it... but looking back that shxt was so funny...
Now youre just teasing me! I wanted DI school so bad and all they wanted to give me was recruiting duty. :( I wanted to screw with recruits so bad. (And, you know, train them to be Marines too!)

My advice, bulk until you leave if you want, just make sure you run also. Go in just above your height and weight standard, as long as you know you can get under bodyfat, or drop the weight.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
alright thanks guys that sounds like a plan. and as for shred matrix i will scrap some money together to order some.