trouble getting progress in my delts

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by jtp217 View Post
    For these you are gonna have to have really good flexibility in your chest but they will destroy your middle delts. You'll have to make a pretty large drop in the poundage you are using. If you usually use 75's for shoulder presses then go back to the 30's or 35's. Higher reps for these too.

Sit backward on an incline bench (bench should be a few degrees short of 90). Kick the DB's up to your shoulders, lean forward and place your forehead against the pad pad of the bench (shoulder blades pulled together) then just press the weight like a regular seated DB press.

KEEP YOUR FOREHEAD PRESSED AGAINST THE PAD THE ENTIRE MOVEMENT.
    This looks pretty interesting...so I push it up over my dead, but instead of pushing up, I'll e pushing diagonally. Never thought of that at all. Thanks man.

2. By the way, how many reps?
    •   

3. Well its pretty clear to me, when you said you had trouble with your medial (side) delt and strong traps. This tells me you rotate back your shoulder to use your front delts during presses. Also when doing side or rear movements its apparent your lats are pulling up the entire joint for the lift until you can use fronts or biceps.

I have a few simple solutions i guarantee will work.

1) when doing laterals keep a constant slight elbow bend and do not allow your a) thumbs to point upwards or b) fists to rise higher than your elbows.

When your elbow is beneath your wrist, your shoulder rolls back so your front delt is highest.
    If you have a back arch/lean back during military presses its using more upper chest and front delt.

I should make a video to emphasise the difference, but try to do your laterals with your heel of your palm slightly higher than your thumb and keep your elbows above your wrist.

This will feel difficult and use very low weight because those muscles typically dont bear much weight.

Another easy way to overload the medial/rear delts is to do a lateral with a 90 degree arm bend and keep your elbows above your wrist.

It is not neccessary to lift above shoulder height and this usually causes the front delt to kick in and take the load, so a smaller ROM is very likely for maximun benefit.

Try it now with no weight and you will see what i mean.
    Then try to have thumbs up and elbows down on laterals and you will see how your front delts hold the load.

4. Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    Well its pretty clear to me, when you said you had trouble with your medial (side) delt and strong traps. This tells me you rotate back your shoulder to use your front delts during presses. Also when doing side or rear movements its apparent your lats are pulling up the entire joint for the lift until you can use fronts or biceps.

I have a few simple solutions i guarantee will work.

1) when doing laterals keep a constant slight elbow bend and do not allow your a) thumbs to point upwards or b) fists to rise higher than your elbows.

When your elbow is beneath your wrist, your shoulder rolls back so your front delt is highest.
    If you have a back arch/lean back during military presses its using more upper chest and front delt.

I should make a video to emphasise the difference, but try to do your laterals with your heel of your palm slightly higher than your thumb and keep your elbows above your wrist.

This will feel difficult and use very low weight because those muscles typically dont bear much weight.

Another easy way to overload the medial/rear delts is to do a lateral with a 90 degree arm bend and keep your elbows above your wrist.

It is not neccessary to lift above shoulder height and this usually causes the front delt to kick in and take the load, so a smaller ROM is very likely for maximun benefit.

Try it now with no weight and you will see what i mean.
    Then try to have thumbs up and elbows down on laterals and you will see how your front delts hold the load.
    Thanks so much for the advice. Combined with JTP's advice for the presses, this will really work nicely when incorporated in my HIT routine. Everyone who has helped here is awesome and I really appreciate all the replies I've gotten from everyone.

5. It will still be a straight up and down press but when you have your head forward against that pad it just makes it 10 times harder. Your body shouldn't have much lean going on, just your head a little forward.

I personally can't hardly do those w/ DB's. If you have a seated shoulder press machine at your gym you can do the same exercise but just setting backwards in the seat.
    •   

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Side Delts with DC
    By jdev in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2008, 03:23 AM
  2. Help Hurley Get Some Delts
    By Hurleyboy05 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 11:39 AM
  3. Help with my DELTS