Need a killer Ab workout

jasonmichel

Awards
Been trying to throw some abs/core into my workout without much luck..my core and abs are alot tighter but i want to add some more size so i can get deeper cuts. I've been using the p90x ab ripper video, but it don't seem to target abs as much as i 'd like, alot of the exercises put alot of stress on lower back and flexors. Just wondering what everyone out there is doing for Ab/core work? In the army it was all about situps, supine bike, and flutter kick..lol...i still do those but wondered if there is something else out there i can do with weight etc?

Thanks

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Been trying to throw some abs/core into my workout without much luck..my core and abs are alot tighter but i want to add some more size so i can get deeper cuts. I've been using the p90x ab ripper video, but it don't seem to target abs as much as i 'd like, alot of the exercises put alot of stress on lower back and flexors. Just wondering what everyone out there is doing for Ab/core work? In the army it was all about situps, supine bike, and flutter kick..lol...i still do those but wondered if there is something else out there i can do with weight etc?

Thanks
Dont listen to any complex BS you get on here... Plain and simple do this and you wont need to do abs again. Yes I said it, you wont EVEr have to do abs if you develope the muscle (unless you are really cutting and just want to tighten them).

SIMPLE..

Warm up on a decline bench then work up in weights (sub failure) till you find a weight you FAIL at 10 reps. Do 2-3 sets 2-3 times a week(MAX!). Move the weight up every week.

Abs are a muscle train them like any other muscle!

I did this till I got up to 90 poulds for 12 reps then stoped and never lost the muscle size. All I need to do now is a couple weeks of touch up work and my abs are good to go even with 10 months of nothing.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established

Thanks
Funny you mentioned that, because I experienced the constant flutter kick, supine bicycle, and situps. conundrum of army ad routine. I also did the p90x routine, and like you, all I got was a lot of reps (boring actually) and lower back pains. I will give this new routine a try, and let you guys know how it worked for me.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Dont listen to any complex BS you get on here... Plain and simple do this and you wont need to do abs again. Yes I said it, you wont EVEr have to do abs if you develope the muscle (unless you are really cutting and just want to tighten them).

SIMPLE..

Warm up on a decline bench then work up in weights (sub failure) till you find a weight you FAIL at 10 reps. Do 2-3 sets 2-3 times a week(MAX!). Move the weight up every week.

I did this till I got up to 90 poulds for 12 reps then stoped and never lost the muscle size. All I need to do now is a couple weeks of touch up work and my abs are good to go even with 10 months of nothing.
Is this done with the weight on the chest or behind the head?

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Is this done with the weight on the chest or behind the head?
Try holding 90 pounds behind your head while concentrating on your abs... If you can do it then hold it there ha. Chest man.

jasonmichel

Awards

SIMPLE..

Thanks for the help man, i'll def give this a try. Are you doing full sit ups or crunch? or combo?

And ABN, nice to see another ranger on here...i'm suprised there haven't been more of us..hooah

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the help man, i'll def give this a try. Are you doing full sit ups or crunch? or combo?

And ABN, nice to see another ranger on here...i'm suprised there haven't been more of us..hooah
Guess its something between but closer to a sit up because with weight and a short range of motion like a crunch its hard to tell when you fail because the contraction is so short. does that make sense?

jasonmichel

Awards
Guess its something between but closer to a sit up because with weight and a short range of motion like a crunch its hard to tell when you fail because the contraction is so short. does that make sense?
yeah i'll have to play around with range of motion until i find the range that gives me the burn..thanks

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah i'll have to play around with range of motion until i find the range that gives me the burn..thanks
Honestly man it wont "burn" it will just hurt... its muscular failure

If you have never done heavy ab work make sure your lower back is strong enough. while doing this i was DL'ing over 400 for reps so please make sure not to hurt yourself cause of my advice

jasonmichel

Awards

If you have never done heavy ab work make sure your lower back is strong enough. while doing this i was DL'ing over 400 for reps so please make sure not to hurt yourself cause of my advice
i know my body pretty well and am very careful about it, over 250 combat jumps and never even so much twisted an ankle, i can see how it would be easy to get hurt..i'll do what you said, start light and work my way up..going to give it a go monday and ill let you know how it went..thanks again

jasonmichel

Awards

forgot to ask, sometimes i'm limited to just working out at home, i have the selecttech dumbells that go to 90lbs..and a bench that does decline, will that work or should i invest in a decline bench made specifically for abs?

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
*If you can do it safely* you cna always put something under the end of the bench to raise it slightly higher if you feel it is needed.

I agree 100% with Justreading! Train the abs like any muscle in your body. Peopel have this stigma of getting the burn and blah blah blah.
If I lift 10lb weights and do curls I get a burn but does it really do crap for me? I think not...
I apply the same thinking to abs. I like to hold a weight in my hands over my chest and do a slow sit up. When you reach your peak try to squeeze your muscles.

One thing I have found works relaly well is to keep the abs under stress the whole range of motion so when you come down off a sit up instead of laying your back flat against and taking all the pressure off your mid section leave an inch or two there and keep the abs flexed.

When your done with that I bet you iwll feel the how much diffrent it is then just doing 100s of reps ;)

jasonmichel

Awards
*If you can do it safely* you cna always put something under the end of the bench to raise it slightly higher if you feel it is needed.

I agree 100% with Justreading! Train the abs like any muscle in your body. Peopel have this stigma of getting the burn and blah blah blah.
If I lift 10lb weights and do curls I get a burn but does it really do crap for me? I think not...
I apply the same thinking to abs. I like to hold a weight in my hands over my chest and do a slow sit up. When you reach your peak try to squeeze your muscles.

One thing I have found works relaly well is to keep the abs under stress the whole range of motion so when you come down off a sit up instead of laying your back flat against and taking all the pressure off your mid section leave an inch or two there and keep the abs flexed.

When your done with that I bet you iwll feel the how much diffrent it is then just doing 100s of reps ;)

yeah thats what i am going for, i know to get better definition i have to have my diet/cardio in place, but i also need to make the abs bigger/fuller by developing them with weight. Thanks everyone who's posted thus far. Gonna try monday and see

jasonmichel

Awards

will this help target obliques as well? or do you have something for that?

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
will this help target obliques as well? or do you have something for that?
Why target obliques? Why grow a muscle that decreases your taper?

Some side work is ok when peaking but not when bulking or looking for growth because why ruin your lines?

Abs should be big and muscular, intercostals and obliques only show when cutting and should be kept small... make sense?

jasonmichel

Awards
Why target obliques? Why grow a muscle that decreases your taper?

Some side work is ok when peaking but not when bulking or looking for growth because why ruin your lines?

Abs should be big and muscular, intercostals and obliques only show when cutting and should be kept small... make sense?
yeah it does when you put it that way..i was thinking i would have to work them evenly to stabilize the core. But what you said makes perfect sense..thanks

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
i know my body pretty well and am very careful about it, over 250 combat jumps and never even so much twisted an ankle, i can see how it would be easy to get hurt..i'll do what you said, start light and work my way up..going to give it a go monday and ill let you know how it went..thanks again
Hooah!! Man you must have been chasing jumps. What are favorite jumps...(hollywood I bet, lol) Same here. but out of the back of a Chinook (nothing like a reversite bite). Take care man. I still miss that damn black beret, never got used to that tan one.

jasonmichel

Awards
Hooah!! Man you must have been chasing jumps. What are favorite jumps...(hollywood I bet, lol) Same here. but out of the back of a Chinook (nothing like a reversite bite). Take care man. I still miss that damn black beret, never got used to that tan one.
i don't know anyone that don't like hollywood jumps..lol, yeah i racked up alot of jumps when i was at campbell. I was a jumpmaster so there was never a shortage of needing me on the bird. I also have my MFF badge, which is actually my fav..If i only could have made it through delta selection...NOGO, but ah well..Rangers Lead the Way

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
By just doing the decline bench ab workout, does that give the V-shape?

eballarj

Awards
  • Established

SIMPLE..

this is a CRUNCH on a decline, not a full situp, correct?

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
this is a CRUNCH on a decline, not a full situp, correct?
I dont know ha...

Does anyone really do a strick "crunch"?

My understanding of a true crunch is a super short ROM that was made up for fat chicks. This is something in the middle. Your back doesnt fully hit the pad ever and you all the way up or most of the way...

eballarj

Awards
  • Established
I dont know ha...

Does anyone really do a strick "crunch"?

My understanding of a true crunch is a super short ROM that was made up for fat chicks. This is something in the middle. Your back doesnt fully hit the pad ever and you all the way up or most of the way...

lol i guess you're right. thanx.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
i don't know anyone that don't like hollywood jumps..lol, yeah i racked up alot of jumps when i was at campbell. I was a jumpmaster so there was never a shortage of needing me on the bird. I also have my MFF badge, which is actually my fav..If i only could have made it through delta selection...NOGO, but ah well..Rangers Lead the Way
I hear ya, I made it thru SFAS, but got injured in Phase II (Q Course). I just got out about 2 years ago, then joined the Reserves. Glad I did a very short enlistment... to laid back for me. Got out of that with a quickness (lol). Trying to get in Blackwater. Take care man.

jasonmichel

Awards
I hear ya, I made it thru SFAS, but got injured in Phase II (Q Course). I just got out about 2 years ago, then joined the Reserves. Glad I did a very short enlistment... to laid back for me. Got out of that with a quickness (lol). Trying to get in Blackwater. Take care man.
that's funny, i almost went into Blackwater when they expanded to have a intelligence branch. Good luck man