What do you look for in a gym?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  162 lbs.
    Answers

What do you look for in a gym?

I wasnt exactly sure where to post this so i hope in the right area, but:

I will be joining a new gym in a few weeks time and i am lucky enough to have the choice of about 4 different locations.

LA Fitness
    Fitness First
    University (College) Gym - very small, have avoided it in the past.
    FitSpace - a sort of No-frills gym.

I thoroughly intend to take advantage of each gym's one-week free pass to venture round and see what they're like, talk to the staff there etc.

But what should I be specifically looking out for?

This could range from anything like:

Clientèle
    Equipment
    Staff Attitude/knowledge
    Facilities
    Rules
    Music
    etc etc.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

personally, after a serious snafu on my part, i realized what i look for is the number of squat racks, and the presence of a deadlift platform. the gym i switched over to had one squat rack - which is enough for me, but decimated my tempo when i had to wait for it. and the dork was doing shrugs with it, with a smith machine right next to him. bleh.

secondly, i like to have a hot tub, because it really helps me recover from a particularly grueling workout. thats all i care about. hot girls are a plus, so is good music. but the basics - the equipment i need are a must. also its good to go in when you normally work out, and make sure its not crowded when you are there or else intensity will suffer.

if you do pullups and chins regularly, make sure there's a bar that you can use that is not part of the squat rack.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  162 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    personally, after a serious snafu on my part, i realized what i look for is the number of squat racks, and the presence of a deadlift platform. the gym i switched over to had one squat rack - which is enough for me, but decimated my tempo when i had to wait for it. and the dork was doing shrugs with it, with a smith machine right next to him. bleh.

if you do pullups and chins regularly, make sure there's a bar that you can use that is not part of the squat rack.
    Ahh you see this is exactly the kind of info i'm looking for. Those little nuggets of info that i know i wouldnt think of, but once you've signed your life away for 12 months its too late to change.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    snafu
    hahaha snafu. Suncloud basically summed it up. When i head out to college thats exactly what ill look for in a gym.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

hot girls
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Answers

I look for a power rack(s), people sweating and grunting, lots of space, and of course - a puke bucket next to all the squat racks!
  7. Banned
    Answers

i need hammer machinces and CALF SLIDE machine , more than 2 racks ,Good DBs, room to lift..
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Lots of dumbbells, 120+ is good for shrugs, farmer walks deadlifts

Good benchpress arrangements, lots of plates, quality oly bars, my college gym had some oly bars that were so sharp they would cut through your hands unlike any thing I ever experienced.
    Lots of dumbbell benches so I dont have to wait. Pullup, dip stations, cable crossover.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    4'10"  272 lbs.
    Answers

Squat racks, lots of free weights, and prostitutes out back to relieve me of all my lifting tension.
  •