Reminder of the effectiveness of squats

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
Hey everybody. I had quit doing squats for about 2 1/2 months. During that time, I have done plenty of running and cut some fat. Today I decided to do some lightweight squats. My legs have shrunk considerably. Well, they were brutal (in a good way). It's amazing how intense this exercise really is. I think once you get used to squatting, you tend to forget just how effective squats are. I am absolutely hobbled after this mornings workout.

The thing about running is that is seems to strengthen some of the leg muscles while excluding other groups. Squats hit all leg muscles. Just thought I'd remind everyone about the king of exercises. Train hard!

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
Wtf?! you didnt do squats for one day and your legs deflated?

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
I can believe you sometimes it is hard for me to stick that leg day while cutting. After running so much my body is drained for an intense leg workout haha.

Nice thing about legs is that they pick back up fast one time of feeling weak and the next they with feel much better.

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
Yeah man. I'm ready to get em back in good shape again. My plan is to keep running but make sure I'm not neglecting valuable weight training exercises.

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
You have to read the entire passage to comprehend it. Remember that next time you're in English class.

satyricon

Awards
learn to love the squat! if you get stale or do not feel like doing heavy squatting there are many variations you can try out. this is one exercise that should never leave your training program(barring injury of course

fast1

Awards
and keep the form tight. less weight with a complete range of motion equals less laughing under the breath of people like me. :) i love the guys that rack up 315+ and move it a few inches....why bother

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Ive gotten to the point where i love squatting. Had to make myself love them in a sick sort of way. I am to the point where i can do 225x4-6reps. Mostly rep out 210x6....3 sets. If you think that sounds light, strap it on and try it out.:fool2:

squats are ruthless

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Ive gotten to the point where i love squatting. Had to make myself love them in a sick sort of way. I am to the point where i can do 225x4-6reps. Mostly rep out 210x6....3 sets. If you think that sounds light, strap it on and try it out.:fool2:

its not light bro........... some guys are just friggin stupid strong.

I love squats and deads for that matter.

I am at 185 with squats......But I really do go ATG. There is a difference in saying it, and doing it.

dommer

Banned
Awards
wish i could squat bad knee though so squats arent in my future

Jetta

Awards
and keep the form tight. less weight with a complete range of motion equals less laughing under the breath of people like me. :) i love the guys that rack up 315+ and move it a few inches....why bother
My favorite is "that guy" who loads the Smith with about 4 plates on each side and moved it a few inches.

Here's the thing about squats: you will never hit the weight of the big squater in your gym unless you start light, do it correctly and move up slow. I'm working with 185 on the front squat right now (front box squats). may not sound like much but it's a fine example of how hard it is when done correctly.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
it not what you lift but how you lift it...message from god!

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Every leg workout, I get a bit depressed that I have not been able to include squats into my workouts... I injured my lower back on the job about 7-8 years ago during college, and have been in pain ever since. It's amazing how you can learn to live with it (except for the flare-ups), but I've been working my core slowly and am 4 weeks into stiff-legged deadlifts and pulling pretty heavy without additional pain beyond the normal ache.

This week I add in some light squats in order to test my ability to handle the compression. Been working some dumbbell squats but nothing can really prepare my back for some good deep barbell squats. Planning on some light 15 rep busters to start, and will listen closely to my body. This is something I want in my workouts, but will not push it as it isn't worth a back injury.

Wish me luck, lol.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
it not what you lift but how you lift it...message from god!
that is so important.....

Tonight spotting a guy doing 3 inch bench presses....... I mean they have there purpose, but come on.

Go DEEP or Go HOME!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Every leg workout, I get a bit depressed that I have not been able to include squats into my workouts... I injured my lower back on the job about 7-8 years ago during college, and have been in pain ever since. It's amazing how you can learn to live with it (except for the flare-ups), but I've been working my core slowly and am 4 weeks into stiff-legged deadlifts and pulling pretty heavy without additional pain beyond the normal ache.

This week I add in some light squats in order to test my ability to handle the compression. Been working some dumbbell squats but nothing can really prepare my back for some good deep barbell squats. Planning on some light 15 rep busters to start, and will listen closely to my body. This is something I want in my workouts, but will not push it as it isn't worth a back injury.

Wish me luck, lol.
Have you tried doing trap bar deads or belt squats? They both will take a lot of pressure off of your back and may be a good exercise to transition with before you go all out into squatting again. Be smart though and don't hurt yourself more...

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried doing trap bar deads or belt squats? They both will take a lot of pressure off of your back and may be a good exercise to transition with before you go all out into squatting again. Be smart though and don't hurt yourself more...
Thank you for the advice!

I have two weeks of medium weight deadlifts as I was testing out my back for the first time. Then I moved to stiff-legged deadlifts as I was desperate for some hamstring stimulation, and have felt good. I realize this is a different pressure on the back, but I will be taking it just as slowly with the squat and focusing on perfect form (wish I had someone I trusted at the gym to watch it) and going higher reps for the mind-muscle connection. You can be sure I'll be careful, as it's taken me almost two months to build up the confidence to take this next step and I do not take it lightly.

Speaking of people I trust at the gym (current tally = zero)... do any of you live in Nashville? Hehe, I'm hurting for a partner.

BiggerGeek

Awards
It frustrates me to see people doing quarter squats....or doing cleans with a rounded back and straight legs...... for a while I tried to help people... but there are just too many and it slows down my workout.

You start giving people tips and they start coming to you for advise every time they see you. I don't wanna be a **** but IM WORKING HERE damn. wait till im on the stationary bike or something.

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
Yep. It's easy to get distracted at the gym. Not just by people who want advice but also by people who are there for reasons besides getting in shape- the trendy crowd.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I Love squat day . . . I make sure my wife goes deep by sitting behind her with my hands below her posterior, she has to hit my hands for a proper squat. I tell her I'm gonna lie on my back and she has to hit my NOSE! GO DEEP!

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I Love squat day . . . I make sure my wife goes deep by sitting behind her with my hands below her posterior, she has to hit my hands for a proper squat. I tell her I'm gonna lie on my back and she has to hit my NOSE! GO DEEP!
I agree with that technique, I always tell my wife to GO DEEP as well :p :head:

Disclaimer: For new bodybuilders the above image is NOT an example of how to squat!