bench weakness

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
my weakest lift (always) has been flat bench. here's examples of the weights i use for 8 reps clean....

squat: 255: 8reps
deadlift (floor): 230-235: 8
deadlift (partial/mid-shin): 270: 8
incline bb press: 165: 8-9
close grip flat: 185: 8
dips: 35-40 lbs: 8-9
db incline(30-40 degrees) chest press: 80 lbs: 8
db decline: 80: 8-9
bb military: 135: 7-8
db shoulder press: 65: 8-10
arnolds: 60: 8-9

I have strong tris so that aint it. maybe my external rotators arent strong enough and need to bring that up. i dont worry too much how much weight i push (no need/desire to show off in anyway but just seems consistantly odd that while all my other lifts, including incline bench go up, the flat stays pretty much the same....) my technique i believe is sound...just wanted to share to see if anyone else have similar, if not identical probl....situation. :)

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by sage
my weakest lift (always) has been flat bench. here's examples of the weights i use for 8 reps clean....

squat: 255: 8reps
deadlift (floor): 230-235: 8
deadlift (partial/mid-shin): 270: 8
incline bb press: 165: 8-9
close grip flat: 185: 8
dips: 35-40 lbs: 8-9
db incline(30-40 degrees) chest press: 80 lbs: 8
db decline: 80: 8-9
bb military: 135: 7-8
db shoulder press: 65: 8-10
arnolds: 60: 8-9

I have strong tris so that aint it. maybe my external rotators arent strong enough and need to bring that up. i dont worry too much how much weight i push (no need/desire to show off in anyway but just seems consistantly odd that while all my other lifts, including incline bench go up, the flat stays pretty much the same....) my technique i believe is sound...just wanted to share to see if anyone else have similar, if not identical probl....situation. :)
Are you using someone to spot you while doing bench? My self im quite careful so I dont put too much weigh unless I am using the Universal! I sure don't feel comfortable lifting a lot weight over my chest can be quite scary, Knowing the fact that I have witness bar falling in someone chest in the past!

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
probably should have put this in...(you dumb sage):
flat bb bench: 190: 8 (this almost identical weight i use for close grip bench, using a 4-5 inch grip...??!??)

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Re: Re: bench weakness

Are you using someone to spot you while doing bench? My self im quite careful so I dont put too much weigh unless I am using the Universal!
thats the thing...with the universal/hammer strength vertical flat bench, i pack on more...95 each side for 8-9 full reps...and this always the last few sets of my entire workout...so i figure if i did these when im fresh, it could only be higher...i dont know. Im 171-172 lbs at 5'9- 5'9 1/2....like i said, its not a frustrating thing but somethign thats on my mind

Rhinoman

Awards
Re: Re: Re: bench weakness

Originally posted by sage

thats the thing...with the universal/hammer strength vertical flat bench, i pack on more...95 each side for 8-9 full reps...and this always the last few sets of my entire workout...so i figure if i did these when im fresh, it could only be higher...i dont know. Im 171-172 lbs at 5'9- 5'9 1/2....like i said, its not a frustrating thing but somethign thats on my mind
Point well taking, you feel more comfortable since in your mind you know is safe, therefore, lifting more in contrast the regular bench, Is the same security feeling you get while someone spot you in a lift! Good Deal!

pjorstad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
heh sage look on the bright side i was topping out 167 at 10 percent bf a few weeks ago and my incline barbell was about 115 i believe for 1 or 2 reps(after 3 work sets previous to it). AND WERE THE SAME HEIGHT.

Of course ivebeen working out for less then a year so less time to build up strength and also my triceps and chest are very small. My squat at its peak was about 235.

These are for a faster tempo too on the negative. It might be a slight less for squat when i go slower.

Big H

Banned
Awards
Go look under westside training; I give tips on how to increase your bench.
Thanks.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Try flat bench presses with dumbells... I think if you use dumbelles, you don't think of the overall weight of the two combined.. Plus, it helps stimulate the stabilizer muscles so you'll have less of a problem with the barbell.. My bench has increased since using dumbells.. ;)

DarCSA

Awards
I agree with Pete on this one. But I have to do dumb bells for the fact that I usually don't have a spotter there. I feel I have learned a lot of control doing the dumb bell format. I continue to make strength gains from them as well.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Your military press numbers are a bit low... this is just a normal shoulder press... pressing up and then lowering down under the chin?

my MAX bench is around 175-180 somewhers... but i've found to judge my weaknesses by sticking points

when i start to fail; i just watch where the sticking point is and work those muscles differently or harder, etc...

i first stuck off the chest... which i found was Lat-strength; so i focused on them hardcore using a higher volume and lower rep range...

then i started sticking in the middle and at the top...

i found that sticking in the middle has a lot to do with your delts... so i worked my shoulders hardcore... i'm doing a shoulder press with a barbell for about 8-9 reps at 125lbs... going to work with 135lbs this week if i can get a spotter...

then i stuck at the top; which limited me on total reps because i would fail later in the press; this wouldn't allow me to get to a higher maximum on 2 or 3 reps.... so i changed my triceps routine; tossed the bardips and started doing skull crushers for 4 sets and then later in the workout doing either close-grip benches or tricep pushdowns...
this wore my damn triceps out; but they got a lot bigger and a LOT stronger...

over this whole time my bench weight kept going up and up and up...
at the beginning of my cycle about 4-4.5 weeks ago i worked with 135 at around 3 reps... and that was all i could do...
just did 155 for 3(not to failure), and then 165 for 3... i would have tried 170 for 2 but i didn't have a spotter; did it all myself with no guardian angel, which makes me limit myself out of being scared of being crushed hehe... so its safe to say i could have done more :)

now your strength looks bigger than mine in nearly every area... except your shoulder presses... unless those are conservative figures; i'd bet i may have you beat there... and i'm a scrawny 167lbs :)

i think you need to work your shoulders more; go for strength; like 4-6 reps

if you described where you were sticking; it'd be easier to tell
(i also find i have to hit the pecs seperately in an isolation exercise for about 3 sets too)

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
maybe you right bean. I have always considered my shoulers a strong point (not by lifts really, but by my physique) on a flat, i suppose a sticking point would be mid way through. i never let the bar hit my chest when benching flats inclines or declines but never do i fail at the most bottom of my ROM (even when going to failure). So your suggestion is well taken and will look into builidng up strength in the shoulders even more so. I personally feel i overtrain my shoulders if anything cuz i have a seperate day in for shoulders/traps in which i perform easily 13-18 sets of presses/raises for all three heads combined. My barbell lifts (whether it be on military or bench) has always been lower than my db work. i believe i didnt write down my db shoulders (70 for 7) Ive started incorporating some rotators work also, which i feel might be a cause also. Appreciate your thoughts. Sage

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
yeah i don't go all the way down either; but i make an effort to hit about 1" above my chest... if i go any lower i'm stretching my arms and it hurts...

i do about 8 sets that work the delts directly; and the rear delts with standing rows for 4 sets...

and i consider this kinda high for me; i'm on androgens tho so...

dez/null

Awards
id switch everything to dumbells it might increase your bench highly and make your pecs explode

im doing GVT now and its just crazy **** :)

Richie

Awards
WEAK BENCH

TRY SOME HEAVY FLOOR PRESSES. ALSO, IF YOUR USED TO GOING FLAT FIRST ON CHEST DAY, TRY DOING INCLINES FIRST FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS. CHECK WESTSIDE BARBELL.COM ALONG WITH ELITEFTS.COM. READ LOUIE SIMMON'S ARTICLES, THE MAN'S A GENIUS.

Andy2k

Awards
A lot of problems are caused by the bench itself - if it doesn't allow you a complete range of movement in comfort, you'll always have problems with it.
A routine of light, STRICT rotator cuff movements will help. Benching with super-strict form, at slow speed will also help. Other points to consider are traps, lower back and abs - if these aren't right, you won't get the stability you need.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 31
Sage0607 Training Forum 43
Training Forum 3
Powerlifting/Strongman 7
Training Forum 7