Decline bench really needed?

Flay

Awards
I usually work my chest twice a week, sunday I do 6 sets 6 reps each, 2 sets on incline, 2 decline and another 2 in flat position.
So I'm wondering if decline is really needed because perhaps I could focus more on the other two positions and try to lift more.
Also I'm thinking about increasing the weight and doing less reps, not sure if it's a good idea. What do you think?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I usually work my chest twice a week, sunday I do 6 sets 6 reps each, 2 sets on incline, 2 decline and another 2 in flat position.
So I'm wondering if decline is really needed because perhaps I could focus more on the other two positions and try to lift more.
Also I'm thinking about increasing the weight and doing less reps, not sure if it's a good idea. What do you think?
I would add some high and low cable fly's in there. Incline DB fly's are a personal fav of mine also. I like to stick to compound-rotary-compound-rotary.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Decline is worthless IMO... weighted dips FTW

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
i use decline for a nice little warm up...other than that i wouldn't make them a staple exercise in your workout

IRON4LIFE

IRON4LIFE

Awards
  • Established
Decline is worthless IMO... weighted dips FTW

i agree completely, decline is a useless exercise...in the 15 years ive been lifting i dont think ive done it once... trip had some good advice...you cant go wrong with incline fly's--- either cables or dumbbells

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
100% agree with Trip... cable fly's and incline dumbell fly's are my fav!!! :clap2:Such a gooooood burn... I dont think decline is completely worthless, I usually do 1 chest exercise decline in a session.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
I don't often do decline; it's not that important of a lift for me.

blackheart

blackheart

Awards
No, not needed.

Incline + Flat (DB or BB).

You can use weighted Dips instead of bench, a better exercise (for many) that hits more muscles and from which more weight can be pushed.

Flay

Awards
Thx for the advice guys, I had this question on my mind for a while and should've asked sooner.
I'll do some weighted dips intead then. I'm also gonna try some bumbell fly's instead of incline bench press.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Weighted dips are the shiz. I do them once a week opposite of bench and chest day. When I was stuck on my bench for a while, I added these to my routine. Got me over a 2 year hump. Now they are a staple of mine. Here is my dip workout....

bodyweight for 30
45 lbs for 15
90 lbs for 12
135 lbs for 10
180 lbs for 6-7
180 lbs for 6-7
bodyweight until failure

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Weighted dips are the shiz. I do them once a week opposite of bench and chest day. When I was stuck on my bench for a while, I added these to my routine. Got me over a 2 year hump. Now they are a staple of mine. Here is my dip workout....

bodyweight for 30
45 lbs for 15
90 lbs for 12
135 lbs for 10
180 lbs for 6-7
180 lbs for 6-7
bodyweight until failure

That much weight would rip my shoulders outa the socket, 180 is alot lol

willyp

willyp

Awards
I would have to disagree with most of you, i think decline is important. My most important chest exercise is incline which i do first while I'm fresh, after that i pick either decline or flat. I like decline more than flat bench. I feel flat focuses more on shoulders than actual chest. I always get a good pump with decline and i find it is a good burn out exercise. But you can never go wrong with the various types of flys. Its always important to continually switch up your exercises for chest with different variations and angles.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm trying to figure out how to get 180 extra pounds underneath ya lol... Not really but 4 plates hanging from your waist hurts me thinking about it. I went as high as 3 plates for a while but didn't like the pains I started to get afterwards.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to figure out how to get 180 extra pounds underneath ya lol... Not really but 4 plates hanging from your waist hurts me thinking about it. I went as high as 3 plates for a while but didn't like the pains I started to get afterwards.
Yup, I just use 4 plates...my gym has a good padded belt. No biggie really. Been thinking of trying two of the 100 lb. plates lately. It usually does draw attention when I do it. Actually, today is a dip day :) YEAH!

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I just started doing weighted dips, and my strength is horrible. I guess I can only do 2 45's for some reps

THEGEEZ

THEGEEZ

Awards
  • Established
POINTLESS ! def stick with the weighted dips there a def good way to finish your workout .... and they will get ur whole entire upper body bigger

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
semi-close grip decline press (about an inch or two in) and decline flies are decent imo.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
semi-close grip decline press (about an inch or two in) and decline flies are decent imo.
Decline flies, when the elbows have enough arch, pretty much mimics a dip. I like decline flies too.

Apart from that, I'd rather do dips then decline press.

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
did decline barbell a lot in high school football but never saw any chest development
the only time i do decline now is on the hammer strength decline machine, normally stick to dbell incline and flat bench

EDIT: and love the incline flys as well!

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Every exercise has its place, you just got to experiment with what works for you. If you get stronger in a movement who knows it might help you later.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
decline presses are good to include occasionally.

the biomechanics of a decline press allows you to move more weight allowing you to stimulate more muscle fibers than flat or incline.
declines involve a smaller range of motion while utilizing the lower pectoral muscles and lats to put you at your strongest positon.

and you might be surprised by this....
in the Barnett EMG study, the flat bench produced much more muscle fiber activation in the lower pecs than did either the decline or incline positions

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
decline presses are good to include occasionally.

the biomechanics of a decline press allows you to move more weight allowing you to stimulate more muscle fibers than flat or incline.
declines involve a smaller range of motion while utilizing the lower pectoral muscles and lats to put you at your strongest positon.

and you might be surprised by this....
That makes my day, great EMG post

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
that is good to know.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
yeah, decline almost forces people to use proper bench press form...makes them easier to use a ton more weight.

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
There isnt actually a "middle" chest muscle, so I rarely do flyes as they seem to do nothing for me, and I was reading somewhere on T-nation that decline recruits a really decent ammount of fibers, for the past two weeks i've done incline dumbells/decline dbs, then finnished up with weighted dips

there was a routine by Christian Thibaudeau somewhere on these forums, the thread was labled "great advice for chest and shoulders" but it had some really nice pointers/routine

SynergyCSCS

Awards
You are correct. Decline is actually very useful to include in your chest routine. Although flat bench is the king of all chest builders, decline allows your to depress your shoulder blades and press with only your latissimus, pectoralis, and triceps. Flat bench is so commonly done wrong that very often the anterior deltoid is overworked causing a reduction in force from the pectorals. So although flat bench is better, decline will automatically put you in the best position to benefit from a chest press movement. No wonder it's so hard, huh?

Food for thought.

I would have to disagree with most of you, i think decline is important. My most important chest exercise is incline which i do first while I'm fresh, after that i pick either decline or flat. I like decline more than flat bench. I feel flat focuses more on shoulders than actual chest. I always get a good pump with decline and i find it is a good burn out exercise. But you can never go wrong with the various types of flys. Its always important to continually switch up your exercises for chest with different variations and angles.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
I personally love the Incline DB and Incline DB flies throw in some flat bench cable crosses and Dips and you will grow.

This is sorta related but im trying to find a chest workout to work the lower outside of my pec (right about where your bis rest next to your chest if your just standing still and straight). Was wondering if Decline flies are what would hit that area better or what would? any help is great to know.

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
I do dips or low cable flys, I feel this works much better personally

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I dont do Decline Barbell presses, but im a believer in decline DB flys. Then again im also a believer in "deep" stretches at the bottom of all my fly sets, and theres something about going down deep as hell during a decline fly set that rips my chest near the armpits apart. I love em almost as much as incline flys

connelly22

Awards
You are correct. Decline is actually very useful to include in your chest routine. Although flat bench is the king of all chest builders, decline allows your to depress your shoulder blades and press with only your latissimus, pectoralis, and triceps. Flat bench is so commonly done wrong that very often the anterior deltoid is overworked causing a reduction in force from the pectorals. So although flat bench is better, decline will automatically put you in the best position to benefit from a chest press movement. No wonder it's so hard, huh?

Food for thought.

How would you correct the form if someone works their anterior delts alot? When im doing my sets, they(delts) feel the most tired, but its always my chest that is sore the next day, never my delts

biggfly

biggfly

Awards
  • Established
I guess I don't understand how they can be classified as "worthless". It is a compound lift, which in turn makes it a positive movement...it allows for heavy weight to be pressed, more so than flat or incline(when did pushing more weight turn into a waste??) and causes less strain(IMO) than flys will on the rotator and such...flys are almost more wasteful than decline IMO...a true fly(DB) causes elbow/shoulder strain long before one can reach significant intensity for muscle stimulation...you just can't reach a heavy enough weight before strain sets in...cable flys are another story

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
look at everyone you know who just flat benches or incline benches etc... not skinny dudes but im not talking pro bodybuilders.. just ur solid guys at the gym who arent chubby... so theyre defined

take a look at the chest pec muscle shape.... you will notice none of them have issues with the size of the muscle on the lower pec... ie where it starts above the middle part of the torso.... mine pops out quite nicely from above my rib cage etc just from flat benching

everyone recommends the dips... keep the flat one in there and i recon the incline is good too as its hard to get the muscle in the upper peck towards the shoulder area