Need bigger arms

  1. Registered User
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    313

    Need bigger arms


    I hit back bi's(Friday) chest tri's (Monday) and a complete arm workout on Wed, what do your guys arms splits look like. And what exercises do yall do? I do all sorts of exercises like barbell curl hammer curl preacher curls close grip bench nose busters rope press down dips... I just need some ideas.

  2. Registered User
    rhodesman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    300
    Rep Power
    234

    Quote Originally Posted by bkoguy07 View Post
    I hit back bi's(Friday) chest tri's (Monday) and a complete arm workout on Wed, what do your guys arms splits look like. And what exercises do yall do? I do all sorts of exercises like barbell curl hammer curl preacher curls close grip bench nose busters rope press down dips... I just need some ideas.
    Good question. I like new exercises for arms also. From what I have learned here at AM compound movements are great for getting bigger arms. I do very little for my biceps but, I do very heavy lifts for my tri's. Bigs lifts on any upper body exercise def helps my arms grow. I still want them to be bigger so, any new info would be great.
  3. Registered User
    futurepilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,217
    Rep Power
    1285

    So you hit your bis, tris, then bis/tris every week? Your probly overtraining them, give them some time to rest, and eat more. 1 inch = 10lbs of bodyweight, or there abouts.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    313

    Yeah but I go extremely light on them on Monday and Friday... and I would hate to put on 10 lbs anywhere but my arms lol
  5. Registered User
    shaddow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    DC/MD
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,386
    Rep Power
    1322

    Yeah man, that seems like it might be a bit much. Forget lifting light. I would focus more on heavy compound lifts than isolations. Squats, deadlifts, pullups, chinups, dips, presses...
  6. Registered User
    Knowbull's Avatar
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,754
    Rep Power
    0

    I never talked to anyone that didnt want bigger arms. Bottom line is genetics. I found that theres an overtraining factor, because your arms are involved in every upper body move. I found tris grow faster, then bis follow.BB curls, standing alternate db curls, followed by seated single-arm db curls no more than 4 sets, 3 times a week works well even for ectos
  7. Registered User
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    313

    Quote Originally Posted by shaddow View Post
    Yeah man, that seems like it might be a bit much. Forget lifting light. I would focus more on heavy compound lifts than isolations. Squats, deadlifts, pullups, chinups, dips, presses...

    K yeah I think I'm going to start doing chinups as well, I do all those other compound movements except clean and press.


    Also yeah my dad's arms are huge
    So I'm pretty sure the genetics are in there somewhere lol
  8. Registered User
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    574

    Your arms are not going to get bigger at 6'3 190. You are very very thin. Like was said above gain weight. I am sorry if it sounds harsh, but it is the truth.
  9. Registered User
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    313

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    Your arms are not going to get bigger at 6'3 190. You are very very thin. Like was said above gain weight. I am sorry if it sounds harsh, but it is the truth.
    True, I'm tryin to put on weight but my basketball has been getting in the way. I'll prol stop cardio as much after summer when I dont have enough time to ball anymore and only enough time to workout... and I actually weigh 181-184 now lol so I'm even thinner (waste wise)
  10. Registered User
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    574

    Quote Originally Posted by bkoguy07 View Post
    True, I'm tryin to put on weight but my basketball has been getting in the way. I'll prol stop cardio as much after summer when I dont have enough time to ball anymore and only enough time to workout... and I actually weigh 181-184 now lol so I'm even thinner (waste wise)

    Your built exactly like my brother. He has filled out to 215 and looks real good. Put a good 20-30 lbs of muscle on in the next year or two and you will be amazed at how big you look on that thin frame.
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Royd The Noyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central U.S.
    Posts
    5,171
    Rep Power
    622614

    Focus on keeping a contraction the entire range of motion, basically dont let the bi relax.

    I think pretty much everything else has been said.
  12. Registered User
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    313

    Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    Focus on keeping a contraction the entire range of motion, basically dont let the bi relax.

    I think pretty much everything else has been said.

    K

    And yeah jcp, I'm shooting for around 215 205 ish at my same body fat(5.8% ) and I'll be happy (don't wanna get to big to prevent me from jumping and losing speed)
  13. Registered User
    satyricon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    huntington beach ca
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    149

    drop the arm specific stuff! compound lifts,chins and pullups of all types, and presses. work up to heavy push presses and arms will grow(if you eat and sleep right).short routines 2-3 exercises per session no more than 3X a week. deadlifts, squats ,clean and press,dips are all great. no isolation moves.
  14. Registered User
    Rugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,062
    Rep Power
    4769

    You can only grow your arms so much without growing the rest of your body. My guess is since you're already training your arms three times a week, that they have reached their fill potential without adding weight elsewhere on your body.

    You side like the typical beach/frat boy working out arms way too much, but that's okay. Not everyone wants to be Jay Cutler! But, with that said, the 1 inch=10 lbs is pretty true. I'd say it's closer to 1 inch=15 pounds of muscle.

    Pretty much the best advice I can give you is to buck up and start doing some more squats, deadlifts and weighted pullups! Also make sure you're eating enough, your muscles can't grow without fuel. Might have to sacrifice a bit of that six pack!

    Oh, and one more thing. Come around here talking about 5.8% body fat and no one will believe you until you post some pictures proving it.
  15. Registered User
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    313

    Quote Originally Posted by Rugger1 View Post
    You can only grow your arms so much without growing the rest of your body. My guess is since you're already training your arms three times a week, that they have reached their fill potential without adding weight elsewhere on your body.

    You side like the typical beach/frat boy working out arms way too much, but that's okay. Not everyone wants to be Jay Cutler! But, with that said, the 1 inch=10 lbs is pretty true. I'd say it's closer to 1 inch=15 pounds of muscle.

    Pretty much the best advice I can give you is to buck up and start doing some more squats, deadlifts and weighted pullups! Also make sure you're eating enough, your muscles can't grow without fuel. Might have to sacrifice a bit of that six pack!

    Oh, and one more thing. Come around here talking about 5.8% body fat and no one will believe you until you post some pictures proving it.

    Haha Ite, Ill add some pics, and definately got to add some weighted pullups to my routine, let me get a camera, pics will be up around Tuesday next week maybe wed (going home).
  16. Banned
    gymrattus's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  75 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London
    Age
    28
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    0

    close/ wide grip bicep curls on the EZ bar
    tripec extensions (skull crushers)
    pull ups (over and under, wide and close)
    military press for your delts and shoulders
    upright rows are good also
  17. Registered User
    THEGEEZ's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    358

    Quote Originally Posted by shaddow View Post
    Yeah man, that seems like it might be a bit much. Forget lifting light. I would focus more on heavy compound lifts than isolations. Squats, deadlifts, pullups, chinups, dips, presses...
    1000000000 % CORRECT AND SOME1 ELSE SAID OVER TRAINING .. i was over training and not doing legs and not always starting with a mass builder .. but i didnt know any better .. i learned and def seen the results man
  18. Registered User
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NAPA CALIFORNIA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,353
    Rep Power
    3259

    man, can't believe i missed this thread. big arms = 4 exercises until your arms hit 15"

    close grip bench - triceps
    chin ups (weighted) - biceps
    dips (weighted) - triceps
    barbell curl - biceps

    obviously you don't need an "arms" day to get these exercises in. triceps on chest day, biceps on back day. no reason to do anything else for your arms until they get to a good size through these. then you can do an arm day and isolate them.
  19. Registered User
    RoidRageX10's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  164 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,692
    Rep Power
    4603

    IMHO, when I stopped working my biceps directly, my biceps shrunk. I was lifitng heavy with other lifts but the bottom line is, if you want big biceps, lift heavy weights with your biceps. Do you get a big chest by NOT benching or doing chest exercises? Yes, I understand biceps are smaller than the chest but every bodypart needs to be worked.
  20. Registered User
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    313

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    man, can't believe i missed this thread. big arms = 4 exercises until your arms hit 15"

    close grip bench - triceps
    chin ups (weighted) - biceps
    dips (weighted) - triceps
    barbell curl - biceps

    obviously you don't need an "arms" day to get these exercises in. triceps on chest day, biceps on back day. no reason to do anything else for your arms until they get to a good size through these. then you can do an arm day and isolate them.
    Lol my arms are bigger then 15" already...:bb3:
  21. Registered User
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NAPA CALIFORNIA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,353
    Rep Power
    3259

    then do those workouts on arm day and as much isolation as you need. don't forget reverse grip preacher curls, or pinwheel curls - both of them target your branches really good. if your tricep can handle it, try doing underhand grips on the W shaped bar for tricep pulldowns. must have gained some serious weight. no way to do that at 6'3" and 190.
  22. Registered User
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    313

    Yeah, I'm going to add some Brach work in... and i've never tried those tri things, yeah my arms are just a lil bit over 15" so I'm going to try to throw in some different iso work.
  23. Registered User
    dahbuldee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    86

    I'm a little guy (5'7" - 160) but my arms grow easily.

    Here's what I do: Low rep speed with a lot of focus on the contraction and the negative. Each rep takes about 3 to 4 seconds to complete. It's grueling for single arm exercises like bb curls and tri-kickbacks but the pump is always worth it.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Will this be to MUCH! Bigger arms?
    By SlyCamaro in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM
  2. Am I doing the right thing for bigger arms?
    By meiantse2 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 08:02 PM
  3. Bigger arms
    By Stallion83 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 09:46 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-28-2006, 01:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in