Need bigger arms

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I hit back bi's(Friday) chest tri's (Monday) and a complete arm workout on Wed, what do your guys arms splits look like. And what exercises do yall do? I do all sorts of exercises like barbell curl hammer curl preacher curls close grip bench nose busters rope press down dips... I just need some ideas.

rhodesman

rhodesman

Awards
  • Established
I hit back bi's(Friday) chest tri's (Monday) and a complete arm workout on Wed, what do your guys arms splits look like. And what exercises do yall do? I do all sorts of exercises like barbell curl hammer curl preacher curls close grip bench nose busters rope press down dips... I just need some ideas.
Good question. I like new exercises for arms also. From what I have learned here at AM compound movements are great for getting bigger arms. I do very little for my biceps but, I do very heavy lifts for my tri's. Bigs lifts on any upper body exercise def helps my arms grow. I still want them to be bigger so, any new info would be great.:thumbsup:

F

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
So you hit your bis, tris, then bis/tris every week? Your probly overtraining them, give them some time to rest, and eat more. 1 inch = 10lbs of bodyweight, or there abouts.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but I go extremely light on them on Monday and Friday... and I would hate to put on 10 lbs anywhere but my arms lol

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Yeah man, that seems like it might be a bit much. Forget lifting light. I would focus more on heavy compound lifts than isolations. Squats, deadlifts, pullups, chinups, dips, presses...

K

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I never talked to anyone that didnt want bigger arms. Bottom line is genetics. I found that theres an overtraining factor, because your arms are involved in every upper body move. I found tris grow faster, then bis follow.BB curls, standing alternate db curls, followed by seated single-arm db curls no more than 4 sets, 3 times a week works well even for ectos

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Yeah man, that seems like it might be a bit much. Forget lifting light. I would focus more on heavy compound lifts than isolations. Squats, deadlifts, pullups, chinups, dips, presses...

K yeah I think I'm going to start doing chinups as well, I do all those other compound movements except clean and press.

Also yeah my dad's arms are huge
So I'm pretty sure the genetics are in there somewhere lol

J

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Your arms are not going to get bigger at 6'3 190. You are very very thin. Like was said above gain weight. I am sorry if it sounds harsh, but it is the truth.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Your arms are not going to get bigger at 6'3 190. You are very very thin. Like was said above gain weight. I am sorry if it sounds harsh, but it is the truth.
True, I'm tryin to put on weight but my basketball has been getting in the way. I'll prol stop cardio as much after summer when I dont have enough time to ball anymore and only enough time to workout... and I actually weigh 181-184 now lol so I'm even thinner (waste wise)

J

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
True, I'm tryin to put on weight but my basketball has been getting in the way. I'll prol stop cardio as much after summer when I dont have enough time to ball anymore and only enough time to workout... and I actually weigh 181-184 now lol so I'm even thinner (waste wise)

Your built exactly like my brother. He has filled out to 215 and looks real good. Put a good 20-30 lbs of muscle on in the next year or two and you will be amazed at how big you look on that thin frame.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Focus on keeping a contraction the entire range of motion, basically dont let the bi relax.

I think pretty much everything else has been said.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Focus on keeping a contraction the entire range of motion, basically dont let the bi relax.

I think pretty much everything else has been said.

K

And yeah jcp, I'm shooting for around 215 205 ish at my same body fat(5.8% :thumbsup:) and I'll be happy (don't wanna get to big to prevent me from jumping and losing speed)

S

satyricon

Awards
drop the arm specific stuff! compound lifts,chins and pullups of all types, and presses. work up to heavy push presses and arms will grow(if you eat and sleep right).short routines 2-3 exercises per session no more than 3X a week. deadlifts, squats ,clean and press,dips are all great. no isolation moves.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
You can only grow your arms so much without growing the rest of your body. My guess is since you're already training your arms three times a week, that they have reached their fill potential without adding weight elsewhere on your body.

You side like the typical beach/frat boy working out arms way too much, but that's okay. Not everyone wants to be Jay Cutler! But, with that said, the 1 inch=10 lbs is pretty true. I'd say it's closer to 1 inch=15 pounds of muscle.

Pretty much the best advice I can give you is to buck up and start doing some more squats, deadlifts and weighted pullups! Also make sure you're eating enough, your muscles can't grow without fuel. Might have to sacrifice a bit of that six pack!

Oh, and one more thing. Come around here talking about 5.8% body fat and no one will believe you until you post some pictures proving it. ;)

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
You can only grow your arms so much without growing the rest of your body. My guess is since you're already training your arms three times a week, that they have reached their fill potential without adding weight elsewhere on your body.

You side like the typical beach/frat boy working out arms way too much, but that's okay. Not everyone wants to be Jay Cutler! But, with that said, the 1 inch=10 lbs is pretty true. I'd say it's closer to 1 inch=15 pounds of muscle.

Pretty much the best advice I can give you is to buck up and start doing some more squats, deadlifts and weighted pullups! Also make sure you're eating enough, your muscles can't grow without fuel. Might have to sacrifice a bit of that six pack!

Oh, and one more thing. Come around here talking about 5.8% body fat and no one will believe you until you post some pictures proving it. ;)

Haha Ite, Ill add some pics, and definately got to add some weighted pullups to my routine, let me get a camera, pics will be up around Tuesday next week maybe wed (going home).

gymrattus

gymrattus

Banned
Awards
close/ wide grip bicep curls on the EZ bar
tripec extensions (skull crushers)
pull ups (over and under, wide and close)
military press for your delts and shoulders
upright rows are good also

THEGEEZ

THEGEEZ

Awards
  • Established
1000000000 % CORRECT AND SOME1 ELSE SAID OVER TRAINING .. i was over training and not doing legs and not always starting with a mass builder .. but i didnt know any better .. i learned and def seen the results man

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
man, can't believe i missed this thread. big arms = 4 exercises until your arms hit 15"

close grip bench - triceps
chin ups (weighted) - biceps
dips (weighted) - triceps
barbell curl - biceps

obviously you don't need an "arms" day to get these exercises in. triceps on chest day, biceps on back day. no reason to do anything else for your arms until they get to a good size through these. then you can do an arm day and isolate them.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
IMHO, when I stopped working my biceps directly, my biceps shrunk. I was lifitng heavy with other lifts but the bottom line is, if you want big biceps, lift heavy weights with your biceps. Do you get a big chest by NOT benching or doing chest exercises? Yes, I understand biceps are smaller than the chest but every bodypart needs to be worked.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
man, can't believe i missed this thread. big arms = 4 exercises until your arms hit 15"

close grip bench - triceps
chin ups (weighted) - biceps
dips (weighted) - triceps
barbell curl - biceps

obviously you don't need an "arms" day to get these exercises in. triceps on chest day, biceps on back day. no reason to do anything else for your arms until they get to a good size through these. then you can do an arm day and isolate them.
Lol my arms are bigger then 15" already...:bb3:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
then do those workouts on arm day and as much isolation as you need. don't forget reverse grip preacher curls, or pinwheel curls - both of them target your branches really good. if your tricep can handle it, try doing underhand grips on the W shaped bar for tricep pulldowns. must have gained some serious weight. no way to do that at 6'3" and 190.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'm going to add some Brach work in... and i've never tried those tri things, yeah my arms are just a lil bit over 15" so I'm going to try to throw in some different iso work.

D

dahbuldee

Awards
I'm a little guy (5'7" - 160) but my arms grow easily.

Here's what I do: Low rep speed with a lot of focus on the contraction and the negative. Each rep takes about 3 to 4 seconds to complete. It's grueling for single arm exercises like bb curls and tri-kickbacks but the pump is always worth it.