Your opinion on something I find strange...

Fuego

Fuego

Awards
Awright. So, I've been visiting this local gym. And I was thinking of applying for a job there as an instructor or whatever they may need. But what bugs me is that one of the instructors there have been telling people pretty strange things. Such as you shouldn't train bi's and tri's on the same day, and you should combine chest + bi's, and back + tri's.

This makes very little sense to me. Am I the only one finding this strange? In my opinion it should be opposite: Chest and tri's. Many chest excersizes involves your arms being bent and extending them away from your body(bench press, db press, dips). Hence, you work your tri's indirectly. So, since there's already alot of blood flowing there and activity in the tri's is involved, why not go ahead with loading the tri's as well?

And what's this about not training bi's and tri's during the same workout? Lee Priest, Arnold+++ they've all done bi's and tri's on the same day, and they're huge.

Am I missing a big point here?

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I always used to train chest and bis as well, along with tris and back. It allowed me to handle much heavier weight.

Fuego

Fuego

Awards
I always used to train chest and bis as well, along with tris and back. It allowed me to handle much heavier weight.
Yea, I get that, makes sense. But there's nothing that proves one way to be more efficient than the other? It's pretty random it seems. You just gotta see what works best for you. It seems like that according to what I've read here.

But what about the bi's and tri's not being worked the same day? Got any opinion on that?

pdx89

pdx89

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Your thinking about it too much appenetly the other instructor is preching whats works best for them. Your body never changes it only adapts to changes, so there really is no right or wrong way to do it. I've done both chest and tri's and bi's and tri's and got good results from both. I think its funny that it bothers you, but if you become an instructor there tell them your way :thumbsup:

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Yea, I get that, makes sense. But there's nothing that proves one way to be more efficient than the other? It's pretty random it seems. You just gotta see what works best for you. It seems like that according to what I've read here.

But what about the bi's and tri's not being worked the same day? Got any opinion on that?

Very little science that proves anything we do. I think for most beginners if they are doing a full back workout they are not going to get an effective bi workout the same day. One of the things beginners lack is stamina, so imo what he is saying is probably optimal for a newer trainer, but imo i would have a newer trainer on a full body split or an upper lower, i would not even have them breaking up bodyparts like that.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Am I missing a big point here?
The big point is that switching it up is what works best. There is no one way to lift, and you shouldn't lift any one way indefinitely.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My trainer has me do bi's and tri's on the same day. It works for me. I think that everyone does things a different way.

Fuego

Fuego

Awards
My trainer has me do bi's and tri's on the same day. It works for me. I think that everyone does things a different way.
Yea, I figured. My concern was more around if I get a job as an intructor and do things differently according to the other instructor. It might raise some questions, and might also look bad if two instructors disagree about the training.

Fuego

Fuego

Awards
The big point is that switching it up is what works best. There is no one way to lift, and you shouldn't lift any one way indefinitely.
Yea, I totally agree. Gotta mix it up, don't let the body adapt to the routine. Always keep it guessing what's up...

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
Everyone has a different philosphy about things. Everyone does things different. As long as you can back up what you say with knowledge and the who, what, whens and where's, your golden.....

Fuego

Fuego

Awards
Everyone has a different philosphy about things. Everyone does things different. As long as you can back up what you say with knowledge and the who, what, whens and where's, your golden.....
Yea, having the knowledge and theory is good, but you gotta have experience as well. What you say should apply to life as well, no matter how much you've read=P I guess I just really want that job.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
From a physiological standpoint, it is usually better to work antagonists together fro extra strength (e.g. biceps with triceps, chest with back).

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
The thing to remember is that when *most* people are looking for a trainer, it's because they haven't a clue about weights or exercise, etc.

They're looking for *confidence*. If the trainer's sure, even if he or she is wrong (or the point is simply debatable), that helps *them* feel better about picking *that* trainer.

Fuego

Fuego

Awards
The thing to remember is that when *most* people are looking for a trainer, it's because they haven't a clue about weights or exercise, etc.

They're looking for *confidence*. If the trainer's sure, even if he or she is wrong (or the point is simply debatable), that helps *them* feel better about picking *that* trainer.
True. Have been training weights for 5 years now, and the last 3 been serious about it. Have instructed people before both in martial arts and weight training, but I guess it's kinda different when it's your job. Gotta have answers.