Fighting cancer with Supplements?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Recently, a close family friend was diagnosed with breast cancer. It happened right as Myth announced the fundraising goal, and it got me thinking. I ended up putting my donation into a direct form; capped up a whole bunch of what I though are great anti-oxidants. I gave her capped Grape Seed Extract and Green Tea Extract. She has also started chemo recently, and as expected has noticed less energy. I gave gave her some B-Vitamins, Vitamin C, Greens+ and some NOW Resveratrol. (Hopefully NP's Res-V comes in soon, and I'll be stocking up on that)

I know there is no proof that any of these compounds do anything, but I think mental attitude can be a factor and by taking these it seems to give her an extra boost of confidence. So my question is, if you or someone you loved had cancer, what would you advise them to take/supplement that might help them fight cancer (by improving their immune system & health) and also to improve their energy and mood. I appreciate your comments guys (and gals), which is why I'm throwing this out here :thumbsup:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I agree bro, the power of suggestion is very strong. The only other thing I'd say to LOOK INTO is Turmeric/Curcumin ...

My prayers are with them and your family

KRNMuscle

KRNMuscle

Awards
Im just throwing this out there, but wouldn't 6-MU a.k.a. 6-Methyluracil be somewhat beneficial?
Supposedly it synthesizes and repairs DNA + RNA.
Other then that, a full variety of different anti-oxidants is a good idea.

nathen23

Awards
What about the use of omega 3 fatty accids. Udo's choice oil blend seems to have a good ratio of fats. From what I read in Fats that heal and fats that kill written by Udo's N-3 EFAs lower cancer risk and may hlp fight cancer as well and boost imune system and a host of other great benefits. Not sure if there is enough evidence to prove that it does fight cancer but seems very intresting.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to here, I know about cancer in the family all to well. Personally I would definitely use a greens powder, fish oil, Green Tea. Other than that HMB may help prevent some atrophy, CoQ10 and lycopene may be beneficial, and finally the phytochemicals found in flax may help. Honestly though the biggest help is the sheer fact that you care enough to make something for her which brightens her spirits and that will most likely have the most profound effects on her path to recovery.

ams1

ams1

Awards
my father had cancer at one point. telling him that many people were praying for him really helped. it made him smile everytime people would call or come over.

hope everything goes well for your family. ill be praying for your family.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What about the use of omega 3 fatty accids. Udo's choice oil blend seems to have a good ratio of fats. From what I read in Fats that heal and fats that kill written by Udo's N-3 EFAs lower cancer risk and may hlp fight cancer as well and boost imune system and a host of other great benefits. Not sure if there is enough evidence to prove that it does fight cancer but seems very intresting.

You can make an Udo's Choice equivalent by using 2/3 Flax Oil and 1/3 Safflower Oil.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
I agree bro, the power of suggestion is very strong. The only other thing I'd say to LOOK INTO is Turmeric/Curcumin ...

My prayers are with them and your family
yup and add bioperine with the tur/cur

SFRANGER

SFRANGER

Awards
Look into a product called "Graviola". My Grandfather has had melanoma and testicular cancer for almost 10 years. Though he isn't cured, he IS still around and living a very active life...so it must do something. It may be noted that in 1999 his doctor told him that he had no more than 6 months. Take that for what it's worth.

bearjuice

Awards
Just a suggestion but also think about enzyme therapy. It has been well documented that particular enzymes help to break down the outer walls of certain cancer cells thus weakening them. It has been suggested that cancer cells are quite robust and this is one of the problems that hinders the penetration of chemotherapy drugs.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks guys, your support and suggestions have been great! I'll be looking into all those suggestions. Luckily it was caught quite early on, so we have very high hopes.

B unit, I agree that diet can have an effect on cancer. Actually, one of the most enlightening books on this topic is called [ame=http://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100660/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215191000&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health: T. Colin Campbell, Thomas M. Campbell II, John Robbins, Howard Lyman: Books[/ame] . it shows how certain cancers can be reversed by following a plant-based diet. We're going to give that a try, and also the DCA thing is new to me and looks interesting.
:thumbsup: Thanks everyone!

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
That's great! Even faith in certain compounds can help fight cancer. Mind is powerfull too!

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
What drug/s is she taking for chemotherapy? She really should talk to her doctor and see what they would recommend, as taking some of these 'supplements' may mess with the drugs.

Please have her talk to her doctor before!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Giant has a very economical Resveratrol/quercitin product.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
I've read of high dose vitamin C therapy for breast cancer. One guy said it cured his wife. It's about 30+g IV vitamin C in one day and you keep coming back to get it but I don't know much about the dosing protocols. If I had cancer I'd be trying everything I could even if it seemed like hocus pocus.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Astralgus....do some checking up on it bud...there is potential it can aid in the fight against cancer. Also...trans-res/grape seed extract, Ashwaghanda, Rhodiola Rosea, and Suma Root. Do some reading and research and you might be surprised with what you find.

Good luck to that family friend of yours...be there for strong support and help them beat it...it can be done! :thumbsup:

Cheers!:cheers:

getsum27

getsum27

Awards
Look up vitamin B-17....you can buy it online but the FDA took it off the market like close to 30 years ago because it worked. Good luck.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ecu we are definitely checking everything with the doctor first. The Green Tea, Grape Seed and extra doses of Anti-Oxidants were ok with him. We're looking at some of the other suggestions offered now, and will see what the doctor says. I have plenty of ideas/things to go research now!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What grape seed extract are you using, Steveoph? Are you guys using curcumin?

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
i thought i remember reading, somewhere at the M&M forums, some studies that showed i-3-c being effective against breast cancer. Ill do some digging a little later for you