Do you use Glutamine?

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
I've used Glutamine for a couple of years now and about 6 weeks ago I ran out and figured I would just bump the protien intake up a bit. I usually don't get sore even though I train my ass off, but lately I've noticed that i'm not recovering nearly as fast as usual even being I'm ON cycle. I guess I got spoiled to the recovery time with Glutamine and forgot how much it really does for me. Needless to say I just ordered 1000 grams of it, and will be glad when it gets here. My question is how many of you guys feel the same way about Glutamine being a staple of your supplementation?

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used to go with L-glut as I feel that it did help with my post-w/o recovery. When I first got back into the gym a few years back, I would actually stop at GNC (gasp!!) and buy their house brand glutamine chewables. It was convenient to take while driving home from the gym (~25 miles).

Nowadays, I've switched over to Taurine instead. I go with bulk from NP and make up a post-w/o shake of it, WMS and a bit of protein. I can't honestly say which is better, but either or will work for ya. Whatever gets ya goin, that's what I say! :D

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
I used to go with L-glut as I feel that it did help with my post-w/o recovery. When I first got back into the gym a few years back, I would actually stop at GNC (gasp!!) and buy their house brand glutamine chewables. It was convenient to take while driving home from the gym (~25 miles).

Nowadays, I've switched over to Taurine instead. I go with bulk from NP and make up a post-w/o shake of it, WMS and a bit of protein. I can't honestly say which is better, but either or will work for ya. Whatever gets ya goin, that's what I say! :D
So you think the Taurine works better than Glutamine for recovery?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used glutamine when I first started, but I cannot tell a difference in strength or recovery. I am a huge believer in BCAA supplementation at ~20g/day.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So you think the Taurine works better than Glutamine for recovery?
I honestly can't say for certain. I've not run any sort of back-to-back personal trials on them to give you any sort of answer. It seems to be a personal preference issue for many. Taurine, though, has definitely worked to alleviate muscle cramping when I've needed it, too.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
I used glutamine when I first started, but I cannot tell a difference in strength or recovery. I am a huge believer in BCAA supplementation at ~20g/day.
What brand did you use? I've noticed a big difference between brands on effectiveness.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
I honestly can't say for certain. I've not run any sort of back-to-back personal trials on them to give you any sort of answer. It seems to be a personal preference issue for many. Taurine, though, has definitely worked to alleviate muscle cramping when I've needed it, too.
Yeah I'd heard that it was good for back pumps and such.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
it's the BCAA vs Glutamine debate - my protein has glut in it, so I don't think it's worthwhile adding any extra in.

Im with Rodja - BCAAs 20g/day. 10g in my Peri-WO drink, 10g in my post WO shake.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
it's the BCAA vs Glutamine debate.
to Glutamine or not to Glutamine , that is the question.

Glutamine is a very controversial subject here and threads attaining to it in the past have become quite heated at times with the for vs against going head to head, pubmed this, placebo that...

good times.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
it's the BCAA vs Glutamine debate - my protein has glut in it, so I don't think it's worthwhile adding any extra in.

Im with Rodja - BCAAs 20g/day. 10g in my Peri-WO drink, 10g in my post WO shake.
I use ON Gold Whey and its supposed to have 4g Glut and precursors, and 5.5g BCAA's and do 3 to 4.5 servings a day and its not cutting it. The best Glutamine I've used is ON and 1fast400, they seem to work really well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use ON Gold Whey and its supposed to have 4g Glut and precursors, and 5.5g BCAA's and do 3 to 4.5 servings a day and its not cutting it. The best Glutamine I've used is ON and 1fast400, they seem to work really well.
There is a huge difference between peptide-bound AA and free-form AA.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
to Glutamine or not to Glutamine , that is the question.

Glutamine is a very controversial subject here and threads attaining to it in the past have become quite heated at times with the for vs against going head to head, pubmed this, placebo that...

good times.
I think it is simply because there is such a difference in quality across the board. I know from personal experience that some of them just make you piss alot so I'm not sure what they're putting in the containers but I don't think its pure high quality Glutamine.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Im just finishing up a 10lb bag of ON - it's pretty good product IMO. Maybe you could bump up the glut/bcaa content, add some taurine - they're all reasonably cheap supps if you buy in bulk and stay away from the 'Big' brands.

I definately felt an increase in recovery with BCAAs - Glut - Im not going to not take it to find out whether it's a damn placibo or not..

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
I think it is simply because there is such a difference in quality across the board. I know from personal experience that some of them just make you piss alot so I'm not sure what they're putting in the containers but I don't think its pure high quality Glutamine.
HK, the debates have nothing to do with quality, it's about glutamine, period. You'll see maybe....

but here's some classic threads from the past.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/3440-who-wastes-money-2.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/93670-glutamine-supplimentation-whats.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/87447-glutamine-recovery.html

all the best.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man, so what side of the arguement are you on?
i don't mind it, i've used it in the past but freight prices these days to ship internationaly have gone up too much for me to use it anymore and it's real expensive in my country so it's not cost effective at present.

I'm not a knocker but i enjoy the threads however.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
i don't mind it, i've used it in the past but freight prices these days to ship internationaly have gone up too much for me to use it anymore and it's real expensive in my country so it's not cost effective at present.

I'm not a knocker but i enjoy the threads however.
Ha ha, just got done reading a couple of the threads about it and :toofunny: jeeze, those guys are pretty serious about the subject. Maybe I should have put it in the Politics section. I can't believe that there are so many studies both ways and so many what I believe to be "myths" about it not digesting. I KNOW the difference between with and without and I thats all I need. Above I mentioned a brand that can be bought for less than $26 per 1000g and it is good stuff.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
Glutamine

Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid found in human muscle and is supplemented because supplement manufacturers claim the body's natural glutamine levels are depleted during anaerobic exercise. It is argued that bodybuilders should supplement with glutamine, as deficiency may lead to a weakened immune system and wasting of muscle tissue. It is sold as a micronized, instantly soluble powder. Some studies have shown there to be no significant effect of glutamine on bench press strength, knee-extension torque or lean muscle mass when compared to controls taking a placebo, though another study found that glutamine is beneficial in raising T-helper/suppressor cell ratio in long distance runners

Branched chain amino acids

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein; the body breaks consumed protein into amino acids in the stomach and intestines. There are three branched chain amino acids (BCAAs): leucine, isoleucine, and valine. Each has numerous benefits on various biological processes in the body. Unlike other amino acids, BCAAs are metabolised in the muscle. BCAAs have an anabolic/anti-catabolic effect on the muscle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodybuilding_supplement

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bottom line is that glutamine can be synthesized within the body and, with sufficient protein and EAA intake, supplementation is a waste. If you really want something to use for recovery, then buy bulk Leucine, which has been proven many times to be effective and is very cheap as well.

The Batman

The Batman

Awards
For glutamine supp. I take Xtend 1 serving pre and 1 serving post.
For whatever reason I HAVE noticed significantly better recovery from Xtend as compared to just bulk BCAA.
ANd for recovery i'm not talking about muscle soreness but rather less muscular fatigue and ability to lift heavy weights again efficiently.
from now on I will probably just take xtend with taurine added as my AA supplementation and be done with it.

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
I have to say that I dig my glutamine. I buy tri-glutamine which pretty much packs in the same **** but with bioprene, n-acetyl glut and glut AK. My 1200 gram tub lasts 120+ days so it's really not a huge expense.

It is controversial for bodybuilding but I feel it definitely helps with overall body and immune system health, which can't be a bad thing considering what we all do with our bodies.

BUT I also have to say that among my staple supps, it would be the first to go in a budget crunch and it's importance is leagues behind BCAAs.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I must say, I have a deep-seeded love for taurine. I know it helps me with endurance, stamina, cramps, and it has a potent volumizing effect. I do take glutamine now too, but it's mostly for immune support and it does help me not feel as sore.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I have to say that I dig my glutamine. I buy tri-glutamine which pretty much packs in the same **** but with bioprene, n-acetyl glut and glut AK. My 1200 gram tub lasts 120+ days so it's really not a huge expense.

It is controversial for bodybuilding but I feel it definitely helps with overall body and immune system health, which can't be a bad thing considering what we all do with our bodies.

BUT I also have to say that among my staple supps, it would be the first to go in a budget crunch and it's importance is leagues behind BCAAs.
Nice avatar!

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
Thanks dude :)

I forgot to mention, glutamine helps with cortisol levels too, which I love because I'm pretty sure with my job stress, I need all the help I can get.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
I used to use glutamine quote alot as well. However, instead of spending all that money on the powder I decided to just up my protein intake. So far so good. I am 36 and have been training for 18 years and so far I have noticed no difference in recovery, even though I workout 6 days a week. :hammer:
I do use around 25 grams of BCAA each day as well.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
To those that are using relatively large amounts of BCAAs, did you need to gradually increase dosages to avoid GI issues? Although my exprience isn't BCAA related, I;ve noticed that whenever I have taken more than a gram of PLCAR, ALCAR or Arginine at a time (on an empty stomach, which was how I have been told we should consume amino acids), I have GI issues very shortly there after.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established

I forgot to mention, glutamine helps with cortisol levels too, which I love because I'm pretty sure with my job stress, I need all the help I can get.
I better continue it into PCT then ;)

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I've not seen anything that speaks to this, although I am not doubting what you've said. In fact, I hope that is the case - have you seen any supporting studies?

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to dig it up. I'm not basing this on anything pub med, just in a couple articles on cortisol control. Lemme get back to you.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I have come across this in conversation before about glutamine lowering cortisol levels and I would tend to believe that with enough amounts I'm sure it would. I has a positive effect on growth hormone release as well.

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
Heres a couple things found just by googling cortisol control and stuff

From http://www.physicalmag.com/index.php?a=66&p=9

Glutamine is an amino acid that can reduce the loss of muscle proteins by blocking the receptor sites for cortisol, blunting its effect on the muscle cells. Five grams of glutamine twice per day should help keep your cortisol levels in check.

From http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_11_22/ai_n8591758

9 | Get your glutamine You knew it had to show up here, right? Recent studies have pooh-poohed glutamine's beneficial effects on cortisol levels, but I disagree. There are many other studies that take a pro-glutamine view in muscle building. Glutamine works to spare BCAAs, and keeping BCAAs high helps keep cortisol levels from rising. In addition, glutamine pushes water into muscles, and hydrated muscles remain anabolic. Several studies show that supplemental glutamine can help keep cortisol levels in check.

Glutamine can help suppress the amount of cortisol circulating in blood. Glutamine also increases GH levels, combating cortisol's catabolic effects. For a beneficial effect on cortisol levels, athletes may need a lot more glutamine than amounts that are often suggested. I recommend taking 5 to 10g before and another 5 to 10g after training to help reduce cortisol levels.

These are obviously arguable points so do your own research yada yada yada. Glutamine seems to fall into the "everyone responds differently and many studies show different views," category but other than like 3 supps out of hundreds, what isn't like that?

Anyway, I did find other stuff back when I was looking into it but I personally find it helpful for recovery and like I said in my last post, I like to take things that help my overall body/immune health and this is definitely one of them.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
To those that are using relatively large amounts of BCAAs, did you need to gradually increase dosages to avoid GI issues? Although my exprience isn't BCAA related, I;ve noticed that whenever I have taken more than a gram of PLCAR, ALCAR or Arginine at a time (on an empty stomach, which was how I have been told we should consume amino acids), I have GI issues very shortly there after.
Not really. I take 15 grams of BCAA and mix it into 32oz of water and drink it throughout the day. Then after I workout I take another 10 grams, mix it with water and drink it real fast...uggggg. No GI issues.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I think Glutamine is a great supplement to boost immune support, but in order to see decreased muscle recovery time you need to do high^ doses. That's just what I've experienced. Better off going with EAA/BCAA

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
Well, I'd like to assume that one isn't taking glutamine over BCAA's and it's in conjunction.

Or perhaps stacked with food :p bwuahaha (sorry I had to)

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the articles. I'll read them shortly.

Its ironic - after a rather lonng hiatus from glutamine - I recenly (meaning earlier this week) resumed using it.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
AST MICRONIZED Glutamine DOOOOD!

-Papa!-

ndawson89

ndawson89

Awards
I use to, until I read that it was a waste of time -- you need loads of it to prevent muscle breakdown, and i mean loads. the research that states that glutamine does indeed work to prevent muscle breakdown was used in hospitals for people that were incapacitated for a while, and through the use of intravenous glutamine, suppressed the muscle breakdown.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
Heres a couple things found just by googling cortisol control and stuff

From http://www.physicalmag.com/index.php?a=66&p=9

Glutamine is an amino acid that can reduce the loss of muscle proteins by blocking the receptor sites for cortisol, blunting its effect on the muscle cells. Five grams of glutamine twice per day should help keep your cortisol levels in check.

From http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_11_22/ai_n8591758

9 | Get your glutamine You knew it had to show up here, right? Recent studies have pooh-poohed glutamine's beneficial effects on cortisol levels, but I disagree. There are many other studies that take a pro-glutamine view in muscle building. Glutamine works to spare BCAAs, and keeping BCAAs high helps keep cortisol levels from rising. In addition, glutamine pushes water into muscles, and hydrated muscles remain anabolic. Several studies show that supplemental glutamine can help keep cortisol levels in check.

Glutamine can help suppress the amount of cortisol circulating in blood. Glutamine also increases GH levels, combating cortisol's catabolic effects. For a beneficial effect on cortisol levels, athletes may need a lot more glutamine than amounts that are often suggested. I recommend taking 5 to 10g before and another 5 to 10g after training to help reduce cortisol levels.

These are obviously arguable points so do your own research yada yada yada. Glutamine seems to fall into the "everyone responds differently and many studies show different views," category but other than like 3 supps out of hundreds, what isn't like that?

Anyway, I did find other stuff back when I was looking into it but I personally find it helpful for recovery and like I said in my last post, I like to take things that help my overall body/immune health and this is definitely one of them.
:dance: Well said, U the MAN!

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
I love L-glutamine. I actually add it in with my preworkout and notice better pumps. I've read that it can also curb cortisol levels.

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
personally I am one of the folks that think its bunk. I have taken crap loads of glutamine and it showed no benefit what-so-ever. I tend to stick with what scientific studies have showed us about glutamine.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
personally I am one of the folks that think its bunk. I have taken crap loads of glutamine and it showed no benefit what-so-ever. I tend to stick with what scientific studies have showed us about glutamine.
So called "Scientific studies" have been very inconsistent in their findings. You were probably just taking CRAP glutamine, which I believe to be the problem with some of the negative studies. Too many companies just put whatever they feel like in a container and call it what they wish.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So called "Scientific studies" have been very inconsistent in their findings. You were probably just taking CRAP glutamine, which I believe to be the problem with some of the negative studies. Too many companies just put whatever they feel like in a container and call it what they wish.
Excellent comment! The constant attack on glutamine is hard to justify!

FcuktheFDA

Banned
Awards
Every protein that I use contains glutamine except for my ATW proteins. I guess I haven't tried training without it.

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
Well yah, all protein contains some amount of all the amino acids. So no matter what, you are getting BCAA's and glut among other things, but in most products, the amounts are negligible.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
i say each to their own,

if you want to use it use it,

if you don't then don't

:thumbsup: