Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
Coffee Drinkers Might Live Longer

The brew could boost heart health, study finds

By Kathleen Doheny

HealthDay Reporter

(HealthDay News) - Good news for coffee lovers: Drinking up to six cups a day of caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee daily won't shorten your life span, a new study shows.

In fact, coffee might even help the heart, especially for women, the researchers found.

"Our results suggest that long-term, regular coffee consumption does not increase the risk of death and probably has several beneficial effects on health," said lead researcher Dr. Esther Lopez-Garcia, assistant professor of preventive medicine at the Autonoma University in Madrid, Spain.

Her team published its findings in the June 17 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine.

Lopez-Garcia stressed that the findings may only hold true only for healthy folk. "People with any disease or condition should ask their doctor about their risk, because caffeine still has an acute effect on short-term increase of blood pressure," she said.

In the study, the Spanish team looked at the relationships between coffee drinking and the risks of dying from heart disease, cancer, or any cause in almost 42,000 men who participated in the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study and more than 84,000 women who had participated in the Nurses' Health Study. At the study start, all participants were free of heart disease and cancer.

The participants completed questionnaires every two to four years, including information about their coffee drinking, other dietary habits, smoking and health conditions. The research team looked at the frequency of death from any cause, death due to heart disease, and death due to cancer among people with different coffee-drinking habits, comparing them to those who didn't drink the brew. They also controlled for other risk factors, including diet, smoking and body size.

The researchers found that women who drank two or three cups of caffeinated coffee daily had a 25 percent lower risk of death from heart disease during the follow-up (from 1980 to 2004) than non-drinkers. Women also had an 18 percent lower death risk from a cause other than cancer or heart disease compared with non-coffee drinkers.

For men, drinking two to three cups of caffeinated coffee daily was a "wash" -- not associated with either an increased or a decreased risk of death during the follow up, from 1986 to 2004.

The lower death rate was mainly due to a lower risk for heart disease deaths, the researchers found, while no link was discovered for coffee drinking and cancer deaths. The relationship did not seem to be directly related to caffeine, according to the researchers, since those who drank decaf also had a lower death rate than those who didn't drink either kind of coffee.

In the past, studies have come up with mixed results on the health effects of coffee, with some finding coffee increased the risk of death and others not.

More recently, research has found coffee drinking linked with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes and some cancers, and preventing the development of cardiovascular disease, Lopez-Garcia said.

"I think what this study tells us is not so much that coffee is the answer to everything," he said. But, rather, that some compounds, such as the antioxidants found in coffee, may be healthy.

Galier's advice for consumers: "I would tell them to weigh the subjective risk of their coffee consumption," he said. For instance, "if they love coffee, but it makes them jittery, and they can't sleep, the need to adjust it," he said. "Look at your symptoms," he tells patients. "If decaf is no problem, I wouldn't put a limit on that."

The research was funded by grants from the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

polo

polo

Awards
i love coffee personally taste good/addicting

but i personally think it affects the preworkout workout supplements since you alrdy drank like 3-6 cups it said
but it might be a high intake of caffeine.

but on the good side it can help with your heart which is a positive with later on life with bodybuilders since most have heart problems in theyre 50's.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like this thread. I'm a coffee roaster. :D

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
I like this thread. I'm a coffee roaster. :D
Gettin' fancy with it are ya? :p You roast your own beans? I ask, because a childhood friend's father used to do that in a strange shed in the backyard. He had the uncooked beans imported, then did his own roasting. o_O

I love fresh ground medium-bolds in a french press. The strange looks I get at work when i grind and scoop it into my single serving press haven't stopped yet... And I've been doing this for a year. A single cup about 2-3 times a week as a treat. Haven't had a drop in about 3 months though... man, this thread has me looking at my press again. Yummy!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh yes! My co-workers love me, because they know there'll be great coffee.

Why the hell would you stop drinking for 3 months? :huh: :lol:

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Oh yes! My co-workers love me, because they know there'll be great coffee.

Why the hell would you stop drinking for 3 months? :huh: :lol:
Haha, good question. My reasoning was as follows:
I tend to take my coffee with a bit of creamer and sugar (ugh, even "fresh" coffee beans from the local shop are stale enough to be bitter), and when starting my training up again 3 months ago, I made the requirement that my diet be tee-f*cking-total dead on. With no distractions whatsoever, and I knew that coffee would be a distraction for me at first.

The second more important reason, was that I was trying out my first fat burning supplement, ever. I had researched them for a full month before deciding, and I went with the ONLY one I'll ever use most likely. Recreate. Simply due to the fact that I found I was very sensitive to stims when I tried Lipo6 last year. I mean, I couldn't handle it at all! Freaked me out, and got dangerously anxious on it. Recreate is amazingly gentle, yet I'm still sweating as I type this deep into my second bottle. So... even with the very small dose of caffeine in Recreate, I figured I should keep it controlled for now.

So, 1.5-2 months on Recreate and I'm ready for coffee again lol. I love the stuff and am certain my body can handle the small extra dose of caffeine that a cup will give me a few times a week.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That's actually a good excuse! :D I have the same problem, I'm sensitive to caffeine, and can't stand being over-caffeinated. I absolutely hate it. I have two espressos a day, no more, no less. Fat burners kick my ass. I'll agree with the recreate, too, it doesn't bother me much at all.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
Fresh coffee rules! This quite a difference in freshly roasted coffee compared to packaged.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Whole bean coffee starts going stale around day 10-15, and very noticeably degrades from there on, to total ugh around day 30+.

Coffee isn't good straight out of the roaster, either, especially for espresso. The 4-5th day it hits its stride. So days 4-10 are usually prime.

Ground coffee is good for 2-3 days max, some less sensitive tastebud might take it to 4-5 days.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
Whole bean coffee starts going stale around day 10-15, and very noticeably degrades from there on, to total ugh around day 30+.

Coffee isn't good straight out of the roaster, either, especially for espresso. The 4-5th day it hits its stride. So days 4-10 are usually prime.

Ground coffee is good for 2-3 days max, some less sensitive tastebud might take it to 4-5 days.

Damn, looks like we have a connoisseur!

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I'm becoming a coffee fanatic myself haha. I love french vanilla flavored coffee sweetened w Stevia mmmmm... helps me CONTROL my cravings so I don't cheat on my diet. Also a good diuretic.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do you buy French Vanilla flavored coffee, or add French Vanilla flavored creamer?

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
i don't care if coffee makes your fingers pop off, i'm still drinkin' it. oh, wait....this is a post that supports coffee. YAY!

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
Do you buy French Vanilla flavored coffee, or add French Vanilla flavored creamer?
No, french vanilla flavored coffee. Then I add Stevia for sweetener. Haha that makes a big difference. On occassion for part of my cheat I like to get a large french vanilla capaccinno from wawa.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ah. No one uses good beans for flavored coffee, because the flavors effectively cover up crappy bean quality. Generally it's better to buy unflavored, better quality coffee, and add flavored creamer. If you buy good coffee, you may discover you don't need creamer or sweetener at all. ;)

polo

polo

Awards
Ah. No one uses good beans for flavored coffee, because the flavors effectively cover up crappy bean quality. Generally it's better to buy unflavored, better quality coffee, and add flavored creamer. If you buy good coffee, you may discover you don't need creamer or sweetener at all. ;)
when i was in mexico the coffee beans were pretty awesome
but they had the best honey, it was natural orange honey.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that's true. This is off-topic, but are there any carbs in coffee?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
polo, Mexico has very good coffee, but it's very under-rated. A lot of roasters don't buy it, because there's also a lot of crap, and it's tough to sift through, and in addition, it doesn't have the cache of 'Colombia' or 'Kenya', so it's harder to sell. Roaster: I have a fine new Mexican coffee. Customer: "Huh?"

beebab, black coffee/espresso is a no carb drink. :D There are fats in unfiltered coffees, like espresso or French Press, but it's negligable.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
To add to the positive studies:

Coffee: Aroma, Taste And Dietary Fiber

ScienceDaily (Feb. 27, 2007) — Already recognized as a source of healthful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds, coffee also contains significantly higher levels of soluble dietary fiber than other commonly consumed beverages, scientists in Spain report.
See also:
Health & Medicine

* Staying Healthy
* Nutrition
* Cholesterol

Plants & Animals

* Food
* Life Sciences
* Beer and Wine

Reference

* Mediterranean diet
* Health benefits of tea
* Soft drink
* Bean

Their study is scheduled for publication in the March 21 issue of ACS' Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a biweekly journal.

Fulgencio Saura-Calixto and M. Elena Diaz-Rubio point out that coffee is a complex chemical mixture that reportedly contains more than 1,000 different compounds, some of which have been linked to good and bad effects on human health. Scientists have known that coffee beans are rich in soluble dietary fiber (SDF) that can pass into brewed coffee, the researchers added, noting, however, that little research has been done on the topic.

In the new study, researchers used a special technique for measuring dietary fiber in beverages to show that brewed coffee contains a significant amount of SDF — 02.5 percent to 20.0 percent by weight of powdered coffee bean. "The dietary fiber content in brewed coffee is higher than in other common beverages such as wine or orange juice," the study states.

The findings mean that consumption of 1 cup (about 200 milliliters) of coffee per day represents a contribution of up to 1.8 grams of the recommended intake of 20-38 grams of this essential nutrient, the researchers noted.
Coffee May Help Prevent Cavities

ScienceDaily (Mar. 8, 2002) — A new research study indicates that coffee might help prevent cavities. The finding is reported in the Feb. 27 print issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a peer-reviewed publication of the American Chemical Society, the world’s largest scientific society.
See also:
Health & Medicine

* Staying Healthy
* Dentistry
* Insomnia Research

Plants & Animals

* Food
* Agriculture and Food
* Biology

Reference

* Herbal tea
* Stimulant
* Health benefits of tea
* Coffee

Coffee made from roasted coffee beans has antibacterial activities against certain microorganisms, including Streptococcus mutans (S. mutans), a major cause of dental caries. Probing deeper into this peculiar property of java, scientists at two Italian universities conducted laboratory tests that showed some coffee molecules prevent adhesion of S. mutans on tooth enamel.

“All coffee solutions have high antiadhesive properties due to both naturally occurring and roasting-induced molecules,” says the study’s lead author, Gabriella Gazzani, Ph.D., of the University of Pavia. She and researchers at the University of Ancona analyzed samples of green and roasted arabica and robusta coffee from different countries.

“All of the tested samples inhibited S. mutans adsorption and showed inhibitory activity ranging from 40.5 percent to 98.1 percent,” according to the research article. However, the article adds, “all green [unroasted beans] coffee samples were significantly less active than the corresponding roasted coffees.”

The researchers examined caffeine and non-caffeine samples of ground and instant coffee. Instant coffee had a somewhat higher level of inhibitory activity against S. mutans. As for caffeine and decaf, the results seem to indicate that “caffeine is not involved in the antiadhesive properties of coffee solutions,” according to the article.

The data from the study suggest that trigonelline, a water-soluble compound in coffee that contributes to the aroma and flavor of the beverage, “may have the major responsibility for coffee’s anti-adhesive activity.”

While the study findings appear encouraging, Gazzani and her colleagues are circumspect. “In the absence of animal model data, caution is advised in the interpretation of the in vivo significance of our present results.”

“Nevertheless,” the researchers conclude, “we can hypothesize that due to both antibacterial and anti-adhesive activity, coffee might reduce S. mutans colonization of [the] tooth surface and might be effective in preventing S. mutans-induced tooth decay.”
ScienceDaily (June 26, 2008) — A new large, prospective population-based study confirms an inverse relationship between coffee consumption and liver cancer risk. The study also found that higher levels of gamma-glutamyltransferase (GGT) in the blood were associated with an increased risk of developing the disease.
See also:
Health & Medicine

* Liver Disease
* Colon Cancer
* Breast Cancer

Plants & Animals

* Food
* Mice
* Endangered Plants

Reference

* Health benefits of tea
* Hormone replacement therapy
* Soft drink
* Liver transplantation

Researchers led by Gang Hu at the University of Helsinki set out to examine the associations between coffee consumption and serum GGT with the risk of liver cancer in a large prospective cohort. Residents of Finland drink more coffee per capita than the Japanese, Americans, Italians, and other Europeans, so Hu and colleagues studied 60,323 Finnish participants ages 25 to 74 who were cancer-free at baseline. The Finns were included in seven independent cross-sectional population surveys conducted between 1972 and 2002 and followed up through June 2006.

The participants completed a mail-in questionnaire about their medical history, socioeconomic factors and dietary and lifestyle habits. For a subset of participants, clinical data was available, including serum levels of GGT. Data on subsequent cancer diagnoses was collected from the country-wide Finnish Cancer Registry.

Based on their answers to the question: “How many cups of coffee do you drink daily?” the participants were divided into five categories: 0-1 cup, 2-3 cups, 4-5 cups, 6-7 cups, and 8 or more cups per day. After a median follow-up period of 19.3 years, 128 participants were diagnosed with liver cancer.

The researchers noted a significant inverse association between coffee drinking and the risk of primary liver cancer. They found that the multivariable hazards ratio of liver cancer dropped for each group that drank more coffee. It fell from 1.00, to .66, to .44, to .38 to .32 respectively. “The biological mechanisms behind the association of coffee consumption with the risk of liver cancer are not known,” the authors point out.

They also found that high levels of serum GGT were associated with an increased risk of liver cancer. The hazard ratio of liver cancer for the highest vs. lowest quartile of serum GGT was 3.13. “Nevertheless,” they report, “the inverse association between coffee consumption and the risk of liver cancer was consistent in the subjects at any level of serum GGT.”

An accompanying editorial by Carlo La Vecchia of Milan says that Hu’s new study solidly confirms the inverse relationship between coffee drinking and liver cancer risk, though we still don’t know if it is causal. “Furthermore, the study by Hu et al. provides original and important quantitative evidence that the levels of GGT are related to subsequent incidence of liver cancer, with an overall relative risk of 2.3,” he says.

La Vecchia notes, however, that, “It remains difficult, however, to translate the inverse relation between coffee drinking and liver cancer risk observed in epidemiological studies into potential implications for prevention of liver cancer by increasing coffee consumption.”

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
I'm guessing it has mostly to do with the prodigious antioxidant compounds in coffee. You guys ever hear of CoffeeBerry Forte, a coffee extract? It has an ORAC of 15,000/gram. That is insanely high.

I also would guess that these health benefits do not apply to those sweet, watered-down bastard children of real coffee that most people get on the go (i.e., venti, soy, orange spice mocha w/whip at 500 kcal). It's probably that people who drink plain coffee are less likely to be drinking sugary sodas. Works for me, I love the bitterness of coffee... but then I do live in the coffee capitol of the world. :D

Gotta go with Stumptown Roasters and a double short breve, FTW! If not them, then I go with Lighthouse Roasters. Hop on the 54 and go watch the coffee roast and look at the usually overpriced indi-art on the walls.

Damn, now I'm drooling. :D

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
I'm guessing it has mostly to do with the prodigious antioxidant compounds in coffee. You guys ever hear of CoffeeBerry Forte, a coffee extract? It has an ORAC of 15,000/gram. That is insanely high.

I also would guess that these health benefits do not apply to those sweet, watered-down bastard children of real coffee that most people get on the go (i.e., venti, soy, orange spice mocha w/whip at 500 kcal). It's probably that people who drink plain coffee are less likely to be drinking sugary sodas. Works for me, I love the bitterness of coffee... but then I do live in the coffee capitol of the world. :D

Gotta go with Stumptown Roasters and a double short breve, FTW! If not them, then I go with Lighthouse Roasters. Hop on the 54 and go watch the coffee roast and look at the usually overpriced indi-art on the walls.

Damn, now I'm drooling. :D
In the original article I posted it mentioned about the positive effects being from antioxidants but it didn't mention exactly which ones. Good info about the CoffeeBerry Forte.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Great additions Poison!
Thanks! I'm looking for the studies on coffee and Parkinsons. The countries with the highest coffee consumption (no, not the us, not Italy, but Finland and other Scandinavian countries, and some Arab countries) have almost no incidence of Parkinsons.

There's a fantastic book called The DEvil's Cup, and the author touts a premise that coffee is responsible for pulling Europe out of the Dark Ages; back then, conditions were horribly unsanitary, and drinking water was heavily tainted by sewage. The solution was to drink beer, the brewing of which purified and killed the bacteria; people drank 5 liters or so a day, both men and women, and it wasn't Bud at 3.8% alcohol, it was 10% or more. Obviously, everyone was pretty hammered, and it's no wonder they though everyone was a witch, or possessed, and so on. Well, coffee made its way to Europe (which is another fascinating story involving Arab warlords, Turks, intrigue, and the slutty wife of a Dutch explorer, IIRC), and it took hold like Michael Jackson to a 7yo boy. Clearly, instead of being in a permanent haze, all of a sudden things were crystal ****ing clear, and productivity took a massive boost. Better yet, they had to boil the damn water to make coffee, which killed off the bugs in the water. People stopped dropping like flies and spooking at shadows, and started moving and shaking.

Anyway, I digress. I LOVE coffee! :D

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Coffee Lowers Risk of Parkinsons
Posted in Parkinsons Disease on Fri October 04, 2002

Dr. G. Webster Ross and colleagues from the Department of Veterans Affairs in Honolulu questioned 8,004 Japanese-American men, ages 45 to 68, on coffee consumption habits, a study group in which 102 participants would later develop Parkinson's disease. Study results show the more coffee the men drank, the lower their incidence of Parkinson's disease. Men who didn't consume coffee were five times more likely to develop the disease than men who drank four to five 6-ounce cups a day. And non-drinkers were two to three times more likely to develop Parkinson's than men who only drank 4 ounces to four cups per day. Researchers did not notice any impact of the intake of milk and sugar with coffee. The team suggests that regular caffeine exposure may counteract the age-related degenerative process in the brain that leads to loss of the brain chemical dopamine, a key factor in Parkinson's. Researchers do clarify that they do not suggest that, as a general population, coffee drinkers have a guaranteed protection against Parkinson's disease.

SOURCE/REFERENCE: J Amer Medical Association, May 24/31, 2000
There's one.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just pulled a shot of espresso with Ethiopia Misty Valley. As the beans hit the grinder, there was an unmistakable, potent smell of...blueberry, like a kids blueberry candy. The shot has the same flavor, and it's freakin cool. Some Ethiopias are dry processed, which means the coffee cherries, or berries, are picked, and laid out in the sun to dry. The berry dries on the bean inside, and leaves the flavor of the berry intact, even after roasting. Mmm.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
I just pulled a shot of espresso with Ethiopia Misty Valley. As the beans hit the grinder, there was an unmistakable, potent smell of...blueberry, like a kids blueberry candy. The shot has the same flavor, and it's freakin cool. Some Ethiopias are dry processed, which means the coffee cherries, or berries, are picked, and laid out in the sun to dry. The berry dries on the bean inside, and leaves the flavor of the berry intact, even after roasting. Mmm.
I've always heard some of the Ethiopian blends were quite good, but never tried any.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ethiopia produces some EXCELLENT coffees. I usually buy a Harrar, which is dry-process, and known for the classic blueberry flavor. The Misty Valley I just tried is a Yrgacheffe, which is usually wet-process, and NOT known for the blueberry.

Surtur

Awards
also i have read that coffee the reason it is good for reducing Type 2 diabetes is because if you drink it before consuming food your insulin spikes. could be beneficial to bodybuilding were a spike in insulin will help with supplements.
but how bad is coffee for bulking up doesn't it help actually lose weight? i still drink it but wonder how much is to much when bulking?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It won't hinder bulking any more than any other caffeinated beverage, and much less than some, as it has no sugar and lots of anti-oxidants. It is a mild diuretic, but most people are used to caffeine, so the effect is diminished, and when you take in caffeine before exercise, the effect is nearly non-existent.

reden

reden

Awards
I'm very sensitive to caffeine nowadays. Half a cup of coffee will increase my heart rate a lot, I don't know why. I started drinking coffee since I was about 8 years old. Then one day a few years back, I think I drank so much of it, it freaked me out. Now, I just drink decaff.

Wolfenstein

Wolfenstein

Awards
  • Established
wow poision, You love coffee more than me I think. i just recently had the good fortune to come across an awesome peaberry pacific region blend, bold roast, and holy friggn s hit! Amazingly smooth and strong! naturally sweet too.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
nice! Peaberry is neat stuff. I like the Tanzanian Peaberry, when it's good.

Wolfenstein

Wolfenstein

Awards
  • Established
hey poison, just generally speaking, how much coffee or espresso do you drink every morning? (Im on my 3rd 18oz mug as I type this)

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I love the taste and texture of dried ethiopians.

I like killerbeans.com, nicaraguan knife fight.