Vitamin C Pre-Workout?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Anyone else use Vitamin C before they train? Vitamin C has been proven to suppresscortisol and I know cortisol is a big issue during training. I have been using 1000mg of vitamin C right before I workout. Usually in the form of some vitamin C chews from GNC (not a bad price actually). Been doing this for the past year....this has been the best year training of my career (Now Im not saying its because vitamin C). The last year I have added liver tabs, vitamin C and extra doses of flax oil to my regimen.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Worth a shot bro. Thanks for sharing.

snakeman458

Awards
yj as jake stated its worth a shot, for what they cost i will try it also.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
I use C preworkout too, for the same reasons as stated. Don't really notice much difference, but still use it.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
well, i use it pre...but mainly b/c i workout in the morning and take a 1/2-serving with my breakfast. But i also take one full serving after and another half later in the day. Good point regarding the cost (almost nothing...) but then again, really question a huge difference in supping vit c before or not doing so.

SteveDFW

Awards
I use a powder form of Vit C before (pre workout shake), during (in water bottle) and after (post workout shake). It's cheap.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Always have bro, something I read from Bill Phillips years ago that I still value :D

Actually I have to admit his books had GVT in them too, so not all was sales ;)

DarCSA

Awards
Never used it preworkout. Take it at night before I go to bed. Will try though sounds interesting.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
its the only thing i eat pre cardio. I've only been taking it post weight training though, or with my mid workout shake, since my pre workout shake prevents alot of catabolism.
I believe Vitamin C deactivates the catabolic hormone "tyrosene"

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
dragged up this thread from a search of Vit. C

been using 1000 mg of Vit.C with 1000 mg of fish oil 4 times a day (with meals) for around 6 weeks now and must say it's working very well in keeping injuries at bay AND overall recovery.

i'm semi-cutting at the moment and added 20 minutes of cardio 4 times a week after weights and 2 cardio ONLY days and recovery is better than i expected.

i'm thinking Vit.C is a big contributor to this & very underated as a bb supp.

Jag

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
I use 1000mg of C pre & post wo. I'm not sure it is doing anything, but C is cheap as hell and there is no doubt that it's good for ya. I think it has something to do with being an anti oxidant that makes it good to bracket around wo's.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
i've been using Optimum Vit C after trying a few others & it seems to be doing what it's supposed to be.

i read an article on bb.com that Vit.C can interfere with ECA. does anyone know if this is true or not?
it's the ONLY reason i'm not taking it pre workout.

Jag

Phill

Phill

Awards
i've been using Optimum Vit C after trying a few others & it seems to be doing what it's supposed to be.

i read an article on bb.com that Vit.C can interfere with ECA. does anyone know if this is true or not?
it's the ONLY reason i'm not taking it pre workout.

Jag
I personally take 3000 mg Vit.c (Split in 6 500mg doses including pre w/o) a day and am using an ECA as we speak with no hindering results from it.

just my 2cc.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It won't interfere at all. Vitamin C has great anti-cortisol properties (especially at 5g+ /day) so taking it throughout the day is great when dieting and during pre and post workout. Half life is around 3-4 hours so make sure you take some constantly all day to keep levels stable. Dr. Serrano raves about Vitamin C.

If you've seen on the new anti-cortisol products on TV (Cortislim) for weightloss, Vitamin C is the main ingredient.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
If you've seen on the new anti-cortisol products on TV (Cortislim) for weightloss, Vitamin C is the main ingredient.
I was wondering what the main ingredient was in that. Overpriced vitamin C huh. Gotta love it.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
THere are some other ingredients that are supposed to increase Leptin as well but its just Green Tea and Bitter Orange Extract, but the main one they list for controlling cortisol is Vitamin C.

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
keep in mind vitC is a water soluble vitamin so you need to intake it on a regular basis to get benefits. water soluble vitamins not being able to be stored in the body

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Would time released vitamin-C reduce the # of times one would ingest it throughout the day ?

Phill

Phill

Awards
Would time released vitamin-C reduce the # of times one would ingest it throughout the day ?
I would be wary of these products. The time released action is most time accheived by the use of fillers that slow digestion and might actually hinder it totally to a point.

I'll tel you it is actually pretty easy if you just get 1000mg tabs and get out 2-3 a day and take a half with every meal.

Hope this helps.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pretty interesting read from Dr. Serrano

Vitamin C
Sources: The best sources are fruits like: strawberries, cantaloupes, peppers, oranges, lemons, and grapefruits.
Absorption and Storage: Vitamin C is easily absorbed. Average absorption is 90%. For intakes between 20 and 120 mg; however, at very high intakes absorption rates decrease. Persons that regularly use Vitamin C supplementation have much higher serum levels of Vitamin C than non users.
Maximal absorption is attained by the ingestion of several spaced dosages of 500 mg to 2 grams throughout the day. Vitamin C's half-life is 3 to 4 hours. This means you need to take Vitamin C every 4 to 6 hours to keep your levels elevated. Peak serum concentration is obtained in about 2 1/2 hours. To increase serum level of Vitamin C by a factor of two you have to increase the oral dose by a factor of 10. For example: going from 50 to 500 mg per day doubles serum levels. Going from 500 mg to 5 g (5000 mg) per day doubles the serum level again. So going from 50 mg daily to 5000 mg raises your serum level of Vitamin C to four times the original amount.

Functions and Biological Activity of Vitamin C
Listed below are ten claims that have been made in the research for Vitamin C. Next to each claim I will give a letter grade to coincide with what research tells us and a number grade that tells what my personal experience has indicated (see the grading key below):

Research:
A - adequately backed up by research
B - backed up but still not enough
C - controversial 30% say it works 60-70% it doesn't

My Grading:
1 - definitely see results with my patients > 70%
2 - some results, 50%
3 - nothing
4 - unable to grade

Cost:
$ - No way Jose, I will not spend money.
$$ - If I've extra money
$$$ - Definitely, I will spend the money even if I don't have it.

1) Vitamin C Increases Iron absorption [A,1] - Especially important for women, since menstrual periods decrease iron levels. Low iron levels can result in decreased stamina and performance.

2) Aids in Collagen Synthesis [A,4] - In theory this could be very important for a bodybuilder. However, I have not been able to document this benefit in my practice one way or the other so I give it a grade of 4.

3) Aids in the Synthesis of Carnitine [A,4] - Theoretically this should help the bodybuilder to mobilize more fat. I, personally, do not have enough data or experience with my patients to agree or disagree with the research.

4) Helps Reduce Soreness and Joint Pain [A, 1] - This is one benefit related in the scientific data that I've definitely seen with my patients.

5) Acts as an Antioxidant [A, 1] - Antioxidants are vitamins or minerals that prevent free radical build up in the body. Exercise causes an increase in free radical build up which limits the body's ability to repair. Free radicals can cause DNA damage, muscle soreness and disease. Vitamin C has excellent marks here.

6) Reduces Susceptibility to Injuries and Disease [A, 1] - Free radicals can cause your immune response to decrease, which in turn increases your susceptibility to disease and injuries. All my patients respond well to higher doses of Vitamin C. White blood cells increase and viral infections decrease in almost every instance.

7) Aids in Production of Serotonin [B, 3] - Increased Serotonin levels in the brain have a positive effect on one's ability to sleep soundly, depression and the natural secretion of growth hormone. This sounds good, but higher serotonin levels can also lower your threshold for fatigue.

8) Reduces Cholesterol and Prevents Arteriosclerosis [A, 1] - Everybody should use Vitamin C because it help prevents hardening of the arteries while reducing cholesterol by 30%. Enough said!

9) Reduces Asthma / Allergies Susceptibility [A, 1] - New research shows that people can decrease asthma attacks and allergic reactions by just increasing Vitamin C uptake by as little as 200 mg. I've seen a number of my patients discontinue their allergy medication by simply increasing their intake of Vitamin C.

10) Reduces Cortisol Levels [A, 1] - Very important for bodybuilders, research shows that Vitamin C intake of 2 to 5 grams, up to 15 grams a day definitely reduces the Cortisol response to stress (training). Thus Vitamin C helps prevent catabolism.

Conclusion
I use Vitamin C and definitely recommend it to my patients. I recommend that you start with 1500 mg to 6000 mg divided into three daily doses and go up to a maximum of 5 to 10 grams per day. The most important times to take Vitamin C are one hour prior to training and two hours after your workout is completed. By ingesting 2 to 4 grams at these times the Cortisol response will be minimized and the antioxidant effect of Vitamin C maximized. Your Vitamin C should be time released to keep serum levels constant. Never buy chewable tablets as this form will destroy your tooth enamel. Back off the dosage if you experience diarrhea or stomach upset. These symptoms are an indicator of the maximum dosage you can tolerate.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
excellent info, Bobo. gonna stock up.

can't remember from where i heard this but i've always been under the impression that Vit.C should be taken with food?

does this sound right? if not, then i'm assuming i could just add a dose to my pre w/o ECA stack.

Jag

jonesBones40

jonesBones40

Awards
Old thread but I have been doing this and I love it

jonesBones40

jonesBones40

Awards
What exactly do you like about a 1g Vitamin C dose preworkout?
I just feel better man, nothing in particular I just had some laying around and decided to use some I just feel hydrated

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I just feel better man, nothing in particular I just had some laying around and decided to use some I just feel hydrated
1. The plasma saturation dose of vitamin C is 500mg. You are essentially wasting the rest.
2. The dose responsive curve (based on an MD's research) shows that vitamin C at 1g is pro-oxidant.
3. Vitamin C does not affect hydration in any way, shape, or form.
4. There are numerous studies demonstrating that high doses of vitamin C periworkout were detrimental to recovery and progression in trained athletes.

I'm just trying to help you. The vitamin C, at the dose and time that you use it, is likely hurting your progress.

titanman31

titanman31

Awards
I took a bunch all day cutting weight and my pee burnt like I had the clap hahaha

J19891

J19891

Awards
1. The plasma saturation dose of vitamin C is 500mg. You are essentially wasting the rest.
2. The dose responsive curve (based on an MD's research) shows that vitamin C at 1g is pro-oxidant.
3. Vitamin C does not affect hydration in any way, shape, or form.
4. There are numerous studies demonstrating that high doses of vitamin C periworkout were detrimental to recovery and progression in trained athletes.

I'm just trying to help you. The vitamin C, at the dose and time that you use it, is likely hurting your progress.
lol it's pro-oxidant? The irony, I'm gonna have to toss that factoid out there the next time I run into some new age granola fiend at the raisin rack.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
lol it's pro-oxidant? The irony, I'm gonna have to toss that factoid out there the next time I run into some new age granola fiend at the raisin rack.
Generally speaking, antioxidants can become pro-oxidant with excessive dosing.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Generally speaking, antioxidants can become pro-oxidant with excessive dosing.
I have a study on my pc of NAC and vitamin c becoming pro inflammatory with injury/stress on body(almost positive). This is my way of book marking to post.

I use both daily, but never around my workout. I do 500mg vit c and 600mg of NAC twice a day.

Younglifter16

Awards
I heard this before, do you have any of these studies? There are pro's for taking anti oxidants pre workout, and cons as well. I haven't seen anything to make me stop my 500mg vitamin C pre workout. Craze even has 250, and most people take 2 scoops, so 500 mg. I trust the guys at DS that they wouldn't put in a detrimental ingredient in their pre workout performance enhancement product, especially since vitamin C is a useless ingredient to add in otherwise. I'd imagine they believed that the anti-cortisol effects > the cons.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I heard this before, do you have any studies? There are pro's for taking anti oxidants pre workout, and cons as well. I haven't seen anything to make me stop my 500mg vitamin C pre workout. Craze even has 250, and most people take 2 scoops, so 500 mg. I trust the guys at DS that they wouldn't put in a detrimental ingredient in their pre workout product.
http://www.ajcn.org/content/87/1/142.full

I don't consider <500mg to fall under "high doses" anyway. Potential for ROS formation also increases with NO boosters and nitrates.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
dontknowaboutme

dontknowaboutme

Awards
I believe this is another Poliquin recommendation, which he primarily used through intravenous administration of vitamin C. Take Poliquin's nutritional supplement advice with a grain of salt. Also Mr. Cooper covered the issue of pro-oxidant issues associated with utilizing anti-oxidant dosages that are too high. I believe that anti-oxidant usage specifically around workout time is also related to greater overall ROS generation and diminished insulin sensitivity post exercise.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I believe this is another Poliquin recommendation, which he primarily used through intravenous administration of vitamin C. Take Poliquin's nutritional supplement advice with a grain of salt. Also Mr. Cooper covered the issue of pro-oxidant issues associated with utilizing anti-oxidant dosages that are too high. I believe that anti-oxidant usage specifically around workout time is also related to greater overall ROS generation and diminished insulin sensitivity post exercise.
Indeed. Also note effects on adaptation to exercise and hormesis.

southsideguy

southsideguy

Awards
  • Established
I don't think taking any antioxidant pre-workout is a good idea. Better saved for post workout...

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Searching about vitamin C around workout I came across this thread. And found this interesting. It's funny how things and opinions (sometimes for good reasons) change over time.

wyrd1

Awards
I take 1-2 tablets of vit-c first thing in the morning. Since I train very early this is pre-workout. I started taking it because of cold/allergies, but have noticed much less DOMS.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But does less DOMS mean more gain?
If vitamin C preworkout is counterproductive and not healthy it's better to take it far from work out. This is why I was searching the topic. I alwas took some vitamin C after my workout but if it's not a good idea maybe I have to reconsider that.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
But does less DOMS mean more gain? If vitamin C preworkout is counterproductive and not healthy it's better to take it far from work out. This is why I was searching the topic. I alwas took some vitamin C after my workout but if it's not a good idea maybe I have to reconsider that.
DOMS aren't indicative of a good workout.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agree, and vice versa, reducing them with vitamin C doesn't mean better recovery. or maybe I'm wrong.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Agree, and vice versa, reducing them with vitamin C doesn't mean better recovery. or maybe I'm wrong.
Check out LCLT for your recover needs instead of Vit. C. Some good products out there like Growth Factor XT, MyoBuild and just regular bulk powder.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't tell me you are promoting Muschetech products lol or maybe you are doing this to be fair and not to promote SNS products only. Which is much appreciated.

Actually MyoBuild looks like a solid product. But I prepfer bulk powders. Always done this.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Don't tell me you are promoting Muschetech products lol or maybe you are doing this to be fair and not to promote SNS products only. Which is much appreciated. Actually MyoBuild looks like a solid product. But I prepfer bulk powders. Always done this.
As you noted, MyoBuild is an absolute standout. Betaine, creatine, LCLT, BCAA's, adaptogens... Very well-formulated.

Yeah, bulk powders are the cheapest option in nearly all situations. If it's solely LCLT you're looking for, I'd go that route. If you want some other added goodies, Growth Factor XT and MyoBuild are great choices. Growth Factor is shipping out to retailers this week.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In general I prefer to make my own mix with my own ingredients and dosages.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
"The most important times to take Vitamin C are one hour prior to training and two hours after your workout is completed. By ingesting 2 to 4 grams at these times the Cortisol response will be minimized and the antioxidant effect of Vitamin C maximized."

http://www.bodybuildingworld.com/DrSerr/DrSerran2.html

I currently take 1g an hour pre workout and another gram about 40 mins post workout. I'm guessing that post workout dose is too close!