Vitamin C Pre-Workout?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. New Member
    wyrd1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    60
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    98.72%

    I take 1-2 tablets of vit-c first thing in the morning. Since I train very early this is pre-workout. I started taking it because of cold/allergies, but have noticed much less DOMS.

  2. Advanced Member
    Rostam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    825
    Rep Power
    88263
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    97.05%

    But does less DOMS mean more gain?
    If vitamin C preworkout is counterproductive and not healthy it's better to take it far from work out. This is why I was searching the topic. I alwas took some vitamin C after my workout but if it's not a good idea maybe I have to reconsider that.
  3. Senior Member
    aaronuconn's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,497
    Rep Power
    1997915
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    34.76%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rostam View Post
    But does less DOMS mean more gain? If vitamin C preworkout is counterproductive and not healthy it's better to take it far from work out. This is why I was searching the topic. I alwas took some vitamin C after my workout but if it's not a good idea maybe I have to reconsider that.
    DOMS aren't indicative of a good workout.
    PES - Physique Enhancing Science
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    Rostam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    825
    Rep Power
    88263
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    97.05%

    Agree, and vice versa, reducing them with vitamin C doesn't mean better recovery. or maybe I'm wrong.
  5. Senior Member
    aaronuconn's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,497
    Rep Power
    1997915
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    34.76%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rostam View Post
    Agree, and vice versa, reducing them with vitamin C doesn't mean better recovery. or maybe I'm wrong.
    Check out LCLT for your recover needs instead of Vit. C. Some good products out there like Growth Factor XT, MyoBuild and just regular bulk powder.
    PES - Physique Enhancing Science
  6. Advanced Member
    Rostam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    825
    Rep Power
    88263
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    97.05%

    Don't tell me you are promoting Muschetech products lol or maybe you are doing this to be fair and not to promote SNS products only. Which is much appreciated.

    Actually MyoBuild looks like a solid product. But I prepfer bulk powders. Always done this.
  7. New Member
    wyrd1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    60
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    98.72%

    LCLT? I have some searching to do.
  8. Senior Member
    aaronuconn's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,497
    Rep Power
    1997915
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    34.76%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rostam View Post
    Don't tell me you are promoting Muschetech products lol or maybe you are doing this to be fair and not to promote SNS products only. Which is much appreciated. Actually MyoBuild looks like a solid product. But I prepfer bulk powders. Always done this.
    As you noted, MyoBuild is an absolute standout. Betaine, creatine, LCLT, BCAA's, adaptogens... Very well-formulated.

    Yeah, bulk powders are the cheapest option in nearly all situations. If it's solely LCLT you're looking for, I'd go that route. If you want some other added goodies, Growth Factor XT and MyoBuild are great choices. Growth Factor is shipping out to retailers this week.
    PES - Physique Enhancing Science
  9. Advanced Member
    Rostam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    825
    Rep Power
    88263
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    97.05%

    In general I prefer to make my own mix with my own ingredients and dosages.
  10. Elite Member
    chedapalooza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,018
    Rep Power
    2577240
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    99.82%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    "The most important times to take Vitamin C are one hour prior to training and two hours after your workout is completed. By ingesting 2 to 4 grams at these times the Cortisol response will be minimized and the antioxidant effect of Vitamin C maximized."

    http://www.bodybuildingworld.com/DrSerr/DrSerran2.html

    I currently take 1g an hour pre workout and another gram about 40 mins post workout. I'm guessing that post workout dose is too close!
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  11. New Member
    NoAddedHmones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    591527
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    46.33%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    "The most important times to take Vitamin C are one hour prior to training and two hours after your workout is completed. By ingesting 2 to 4 grams at these times the Cortisol response will be minimized and the antioxidant effect of Vitamin C maximized." http://www.bodybuildingworld.com/DrSerr/DrSerran2.html I currently take 1g an hour pre workout and another gram about 40 mins post workout. I'm guessing that post workout dose is too close!
    Your dosing regiment is likely having a negative impact on adaptations to exercise... Would disregard that article as total crok of shi+.
  12. Advanced Member
    xhrr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    985
    Rep Power
    994530
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    44.11%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    "The most important times to take Vitamin C are one hour prior to training and two hours after your workout is completed. By ingesting 2 to 4 grams at these times the Cortisol response will be minimized and the antioxidant effect of Vitamin C maximized." http://www.bodybuildingworld.com/DrSerr/DrSerran2.html I currently take 1g an hour pre workout and another gram about 40 mins post workout. I'm guessing that post workout dose is too close!
    I wouldn't do this. Cortisol is not the bad guy it's made out to be and ingesting this amount of vitamin c or antioxidants in general around the workout window can be counterproductive.
  13. Elite Member
    chedapalooza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,018
    Rep Power
    2577240
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    99.82%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by NoAddedHmones View Post

    Your dosing regiment is likely having a negative impact on adaptations to exercise... Would disregard that article as total crok of shi+.
    Yea. We need some cortisol for the adaptations, then we want to blunt it. I may be blunting it too much?
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  14. Elite Member
    chedapalooza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,018
    Rep Power
    2577240
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    99.82%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by xhrr View Post

    I wouldn't do this. Cortisol is not the bad guy it's made out to be and ingesting this amount of vitamin c or antioxidants in general around the workout window can be counterproductive.
    Definitely. It disnt used to be like that but I ended up changing my schedule around and I try not to pop pills all day long so I just take the second gram of C with my post workout meal. I would like to stay at 2 grams daily. I suppose I will just move it further away from the workout?
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  15. New Member
    NoAddedHmones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    591527
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    46.33%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    Yea. We need some cortisol for the adaptations, then we want to blunt it. I may be blunting it too much?
    I would not supplement with vit c around workouts in doses great than 200-300mg and i would only take that if i was using nitrates.
  16. Elite Member
    chedapalooza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,018
    Rep Power
    2577240
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    99.82%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    1. The plasma saturation dose of vitamin C is 500mg. You are essentially wasting the rest.
    2. The dose responsive curve (based on an MD's research) shows that vitamin C at 1g is pro-oxidant.
    3. Vitamin C does not affect hydration in any way, shape, or form.
    4. There are numerous studies demonstrating that high doses of vitamin C periworkout were detrimental to recovery and progression in trained athletes.

    I'm just trying to help you. The vitamin C, at the dose and time that you use it, is likely hurting your progress.
    Idk how to mention people but I hope cooper can indicate the most appropriate timing for those looking to use Vit c for overall health and anti oxidant benefits.. Say at 2g daily, with timing in relation to workout
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  17. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,721
    Rep Power
    5425017
    Level
    85
    Lv. Percent
    48.93%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post

    Yea. We need some cortisol for the adaptations, then we want to blunt it. I may be blunting it too much?
    No. You have this wrong. No need to ever blunt it.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  18. Elite Member
    breezy11's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,958
    Rep Power
    4860765
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    22.11%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Here's a recent article from Bill Willis on the topic:

    http://www.strengthsensei.com/rethin...nts-in-sports/
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  19. Elite Member
    chedapalooza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,018
    Rep Power
    2577240
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    99.82%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by breezy11 View Post
    Here's a recent article from Bill Willis on the topic:

    http://www.strengthsensei.com/rethin...nts-in-sports/
    Interesting. Guess ill drop to 1g a day and take it far away from workout
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  20. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,721
    Rep Power
    5425017
    Level
    85
    Lv. Percent
    48.93%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    Interesting. Guess ill drop to 1g a day and take it far away from workout
    Bare in mind also the half life of ingested Vit C drops dramatically when taken in a large bolus. Trust me man, you try and control cortisol too much. You need to research the importance of cortisol in the body.

    Edit: do you have issues with extended release of cortisol?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  21. Elite Member
    chedapalooza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,018
    Rep Power
    2577240
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    99.82%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

    Bare in mind also the half life of ingested Vit C drops dramatically when taken in a large bolus. Trust me man, you try and control cortisol too much. You need to research the importance of cortisol in the body.

    Edit: do you have issues with extended release of cortisol?
    No not that I am aware of.
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  22. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,721
    Rep Power
    5425017
    Level
    85
    Lv. Percent
    48.93%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    No not that I am aware of.
    Just be mindful that's all. The body likes to be in homeostasis and constantly trying to blunt hormonal release could end up being problematic. Cortisol does not deserve the bad rap it gets; its not "eating all your muscle" every chance it gets; just bare in mind that it has importance and trying to constantly control it (like people do with estrogen) will end up causing problems.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  23. Elite Member
    chedapalooza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,018
    Rep Power
    2577240
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    99.82%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

    Just be mindful that's all. The body likes to be in homeostasis and constantly trying to blunt hormonal release could end up being problematic. Cortisol does not deserve the bad rap it gets; its not "eating all your muscle" every chance it gets; just bare in mind that it has importance and trying to constantly control it (like people do with estrogen) will end up causing problems.
    No I agree and understand 100% thank you
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  24. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,721
    Rep Power
    5425017
    Level
    85
    Lv. Percent
    48.93%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    No I agree and understand 100% thank you
    No problem. Not flaming, just sharing my 2 cents
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Pre-Workout more important than Post Workout?
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 03:13 PM
  3. Pinning: Pre-workout or Post-workout?
    By Greenguy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 10:10 AM
  4. Pre-Workout meal?
    By NPursuit in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 10:54 PM
  5. pre workout booster
    By goldylight in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 05:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in