Vitamin C Pre-Workout?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by J19891 View Post
    lol it's pro-oxidant? The irony, I'm gonna have to toss that factoid out there the next time I run into some new age granola fiend at the raisin rack.
    Generally speaking, antioxidants can become pro-oxidant with excessive dosing.

2. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

I have a study on my pc of NAC and vitamin c becoming pro inflammatory with injury/stress on body(almost positive). This is my way of book marking to post.

I use both daily, but never around my workout. I do 500mg vit c and 600mg of NAC twice a day.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    4. There are numerous studies demonstrating that high doses of vitamin C periworkout were detrimental to recovery and progression in trained athletes.
    I heard this before, do you have any of these studies? There are pro's for taking anti oxidants pre workout, and cons as well. I haven't seen anything to make me stop my 500mg vitamin C pre workout. Craze even has 250, and most people take 2 scoops, so 500 mg. I trust the guys at DS that they wouldn't put in a detrimental ingredient in their pre workout performance enhancement product, especially since vitamin C is a useless ingredient to add in otherwise. I'd imagine they believed that the anti-cortisol effects > the cons.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Younglifter16 View Post
    I heard this before, do you have any studies? There are pro's for taking anti oxidants pre workout, and cons as well. I haven't seen anything to make me stop my 500mg vitamin C pre workout. Craze even has 250, and most people take 2 scoops, so 500 mg. I trust the guys at DS that they wouldn't put in a detrimental ingredient in their pre workout product.
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/87/1/142.full

I don't consider <500mg to fall under "high doses" anyway. Potential for ROS formation also increases with NO boosters and nitrates.

5. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

^this x1000
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Revolutionizing Sports Nutrition, One Product At A Time
    antihero [@] SeriousNutritionSolutions.com

6. I believe this is another Poliquin recommendation, which he primarily used through intravenous administration of vitamin C. Take Poliquin's nutritional supplement advice with a grain of salt. Also Mr. Cooper covered the issue of pro-oxidant issues associated with utilizing anti-oxidant dosages that are too high. I believe that anti-oxidant usage specifically around workout time is also related to greater overall ROS generation and diminished insulin sensitivity post exercise.

7. Quote Originally Posted by dontknowaboutme View Post
    I believe this is another Poliquin recommendation, which he primarily used through intravenous administration of vitamin C. Take Poliquin's nutritional supplement advice with a grain of salt. Also Mr. Cooper covered the issue of pro-oxidant issues associated with utilizing anti-oxidant dosages that are too high. I believe that anti-oxidant usage specifically around workout time is also related to greater overall ROS generation and diminished insulin sensitivity post exercise.
    Indeed. Also note effects on adaptation to exercise and hormesis.

8. I don't think taking any antioxidant pre-workout is a good idea. Better saved for post workout...

9. Quote Originally Posted by southsideguy View Post
    I don't think taking any antioxidant pre-workout is a good idea. Better saved for post workout...
    I'd opt for neither, but preworkout would probably be better for vitamin C.

10. Searching about vitamin C around workout I came across this thread. And found this interesting. It's funny how things and opinions (sometimes for good reasons) change over time.
    •   

11. I take 1-2 tablets of vit-c first thing in the morning. Since I train very early this is pre-workout. I started taking it because of cold/allergies, but have noticed much less DOMS.

12. But does less DOMS mean more gain?
    If vitamin C preworkout is counterproductive and not healthy it's better to take it far from work out. This is why I was searching the topic. I alwas took some vitamin C after my workout but if it's not a good idea maybe I have to reconsider that.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rostam View Post
    But does less DOMS mean more gain? If vitamin C preworkout is counterproductive and not healthy it's better to take it far from work out. This is why I was searching the topic. I alwas took some vitamin C after my workout but if it's not a good idea maybe I have to reconsider that.
    DOMS aren't indicative of a good workout.

14. Agree, and vice versa, reducing them with vitamin C doesn't mean better recovery. or maybe I'm wrong.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Rostam View Post
    Agree, and vice versa, reducing them with vitamin C doesn't mean better recovery. or maybe I'm wrong.
    Check out LCLT for your recover needs instead of Vit. C. Some good products out there like Growth Factor XT, MyoBuild and just regular bulk powder.

16. Don't tell me you are promoting Muschetech products lol or maybe you are doing this to be fair and not to promote SNS products only. Which is much appreciated.

Actually MyoBuild looks like a solid product. But I prepfer bulk powders. Always done this.

17. LCLT? I have some searching to do.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Rostam View Post
    Don't tell me you are promoting Muschetech products lol or maybe you are doing this to be fair and not to promote SNS products only. Which is much appreciated. Actually MyoBuild looks like a solid product. But I prepfer bulk powders. Always done this.
    As you noted, MyoBuild is an absolute standout. Betaine, creatine, LCLT, BCAA's, adaptogens... Very well-formulated.

Yeah, bulk powders are the cheapest option in nearly all situations. If it's solely LCLT you're looking for, I'd go that route. If you want some other added goodies, Growth Factor XT and MyoBuild are great choices. Growth Factor is shipping out to retailers this week.

19. In general I prefer to make my own mix with my own ingredients and dosages.

20. "The most important times to take Vitamin C are one hour prior to training and two hours after your workout is completed. By ingesting 2 to 4 grams at these times the Cortisol response will be minimized and the antioxidant effect of Vitamin C maximized."

http://www.bodybuildingworld.com/DrSerr/DrSerran2.html

I currently take 1g an hour pre workout and another gram about 40 mins post workout. I'm guessing that post workout dose is too close!

21. Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    "The most important times to take Vitamin C are one hour prior to training and two hours after your workout is completed. By ingesting 2 to 4 grams at these times the Cortisol response will be minimized and the antioxidant effect of Vitamin C maximized." http://www.bodybuildingworld.com/DrSerr/DrSerran2.html I currently take 1g an hour pre workout and another gram about 40 mins post workout. I'm guessing that post workout dose is too close!
    Your dosing regiment is likely having a negative impact on adaptations to exercise... Would disregard that article as total crok of shi+.
    OL

22. Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    "The most important times to take Vitamin C are one hour prior to training and two hours after your workout is completed. By ingesting 2 to 4 grams at these times the Cortisol response will be minimized and the antioxidant effect of Vitamin C maximized." http://www.bodybuildingworld.com/DrSerr/DrSerran2.html I currently take 1g an hour pre workout and another gram about 40 mins post workout. I'm guessing that post workout dose is too close!
    I wouldn't do this. Cortisol is not the bad guy it's made out to be and ingesting this amount of vitamin c or antioxidants in general around the workout window can be counterproductive.

23. Quote Originally Posted by NoAddedHmones View Post

Your dosing regiment is likely having a negative impact on adaptations to exercise... Would disregard that article as total crok of shi+.
    Yea. We need some cortisol for the adaptations, then we want to blunt it. I may be blunting it too much?

24. Quote Originally Posted by xhrr View Post

I wouldn't do this. Cortisol is not the bad guy it's made out to be and ingesting this amount of vitamin c or antioxidants in general around the workout window can be counterproductive.
    Definitely. It disnt used to be like that but I ended up changing my schedule around and I try not to pop pills all day long so I just take the second gram of C with my post workout meal. I would like to stay at 2 grams daily. I suppose I will just move it further away from the workout?

25. Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    Yea. We need some cortisol for the adaptations, then we want to blunt it. I may be blunting it too much?
    I would not supplement with vit c around workouts in doses great than 200-300mg and i would only take that if i was using nitrates.
    OL

26. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

1. The plasma saturation dose of vitamin C is 500mg. You are essentially wasting the rest.
    2. The dose responsive curve (based on an MD's research) shows that vitamin C at 1g is pro-oxidant.
    3. Vitamin C does not affect hydration in any way, shape, or form.
    4. There are numerous studies demonstrating that high doses of vitamin C periworkout were detrimental to recovery and progression in trained athletes.

I'm just trying to help you. The vitamin C, at the dose and time that you use it, is likely hurting your progress.
    Idk how to mention people but I hope cooper can indicate the most appropriate timing for those looking to use Vit c for overall health and anti oxidant benefits.. Say at 2g daily, with timing in relation to workout

27. Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post

No. You have this wrong. No need to ever blunt it.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

28. Here's a recent article from Bill Willis on the topic:

http://www.strengthsensei.com/rethin...nts-in-sports/
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

29. Quote Originally Posted by breezy11 View Post
    Here's a recent article from Bill Willis on the topic:

http://www.strengthsensei.com/rethin...nts-in-sports/
    Interesting. Guess ill drop to 1g a day and take it far away from workout

30. Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    Interesting. Guess ill drop to 1g a day and take it far away from workout
    Bare in mind also the half life of ingested Vit C drops dramatically when taken in a large bolus. Trust me man, you try and control cortisol too much. You need to research the importance of cortisol in the body.

Edit: do you have issues with extended release of cortisol?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pre-Workout more important than Post Workout?
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 03:13 PM
  3. Pinning: Pre-workout or Post-workout?
    By Greenguy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 10:10 AM
  4. Pre-Workout meal?
    By NPursuit in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 10:54 PM
  5. pre workout booster
    By goldylight in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 05:49 PM