AP / Recreate Stack Question

  1. Elite Member
    TimberLakers's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,388
    Rep Power
    17052
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    70.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    AP / Recreate Stack Question


    I'm going to start an AP / Recreate Stack. My goals are to trim some fat while still making some additions in lbm.

    I lift about 5 days out of the week. For my latest bulk stage, I cut out the treadmill, and only do boxing 2x a week for cardio. If I'm planning to cut a bit, should I do some low intensity - or just stick to lifting? All heavy? or some light lifting too?

    Thanks!

  2. Board Sponsor
    dexterium's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    27
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    412
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    17.2%

    In my opinion, if you want to lose fat, add in a bit of cardio but stick to lifting heavy weights.
  3. Diamond Member
    DreamWeaver's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    56
    Posts
    20,814
    Rep Power
    789769
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    You can't lift heavy all the time though. It's ok to do rountines with lighter weight even when your bulking. You replace the intensity of weight with the intensity of doing more reps and or super sets, drop set, giant sets etc.. I do believe that heavy compound lifting is the best way to gain solid mass but you have to give it a rest once in a while.
    LG Sciences sponsored athlete
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative
    •   
       

  4. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27066
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Weight loss is more dependent on diet than cardiovascular exercise. Recent studies (thank Alan Aragon for the interpretation here) have shown that high-intensity cardiovascular exercise has a greater effect on weight loss than low-intensity. Translation: resistance training is superior to aerobic training in this respect. Focus on diet, and remain lifting heavy.
  5. Diamond Member
    DreamWeaver's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    56
    Posts
    20,814
    Rep Power
    789769
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Ok heavy lifting is not the type of lifting you do to lose weight. When you say heavy lifting I think low reps with long rests. This is not the type that they say if good for weight loss. I think you would have more success with lighter weight and increased pace. (short rest periods) Yes of course lift heavy as you can for what you are doing. People also do more circuit type training to lose weight also. The thing is you have to keep a really quick pace which is not condusive to power type lifting.
    LG Sciences sponsored athlete
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative
  6. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27066
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    Ok heavy lifting is not the type of lifting you do to lose weight. When you say heavy lifting I think low reps with long rests. This is not the type that they say if good for weight loss. I think you would have more success with lighter weight and increased pace. (short rest periods) Yes of course lift heavy as you can for what you are doing. People also do more circuit type training to lose weight also. The thing is you have to keep a really quick pace which is not condusive to power type lifting.
    This is incorrect. The philosophy behind 'circuit' training, or low-rest training, is the induction of a higher heart rate. Unfortunately, heart rate is not the only indicator of weight loss; in fact, training in such a low-rest manner may actually be counterproductive to weight loss by leading to a catabolic state. You do not need to 'keep a quick pace' to lose weight - quite the opposite.

    At any rate, what type of weight training you do is not nearly as important as your diet. Nutrition is the main determiner of weight loss.
  7. Diamond Member
    DreamWeaver's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    56
    Posts
    20,814
    Rep Power
    789769
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Ok course that it true about diet.

    I don't know, I have never really had success with using heavy weight and long rests when training when it comes to weight loss. Volume training always seemed to work better. I will go with what works. Charles Poloquin always recomends volume and fast pace for weight loss as well. I assume this is a subject of contention even among the experts.
    LG Sciences sponsored athlete
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative
  8. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Just my .02, but you can DEFINITELY lose fat with heavy lifting/low reps - try 15-20 single squats at 90% 1RM, giving 20sec rest between each "single". It's a workout in and of itself and will leave you drenched in sweat, gasping for air and muscles burning like heck. Add in another 2 full-body movements and its a crazy fat burning combo.
  9. Guest
    Guest
    Guest's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Just my .02, but you can DEFINITELY lose fat with heavy lifting/low reps - try 15-20 single squats at 90% 1RM, giving 20sec rest between each "single". It's a workout in and of itself and will leave you drenched in sweat, gasping for air and muscles burning like heck. Add in another 2 full-body movements and its a crazy fat burning combo.
    Yes, I find it more about energy expenditure after the workout not during. Lifting heavy causes all sorts of chemical reactions that require calories to correct.
  10. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27066
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by USPLabs View Post
    Yes, I find it more about energy expenditure after the workout not during. Lifting heavy causes all sorts of chemical reactions that require calories to correct.
    Exactamundo. Mi jefe es taaaaan listo!
  11. Diamond Member
    DreamWeaver's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    56
    Posts
    20,814
    Rep Power
    789769
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    You can lose fat with any kind of lifting yes, I have done a lot of different routines while cutting. Heavy is difficult though as when your cutting for contest your generally not at your best power wise.

    Lets make things more clear heavy lifting for me is compound movements between 2 and 6 reps as heavy as I can go. Anything higher rep wise would not be heavy lifting as it would mean that I lifted less weight.

    Now you can lift between 8 and 12 reps as heavy as you can and it will still cause a lot of the similar effects plus if you shorten you rest you will increase your intensity and yeild an all over better fat burning effect.

    There is no way that I will be able to burn as much fat my doing a heavy set like 4 reps then waiting 3 minutes before I do my next set. Yes there will be deeper more intense soreness and you will have to recover. Whose to say there is no need for recovery when you do say 8 or 10 reps. I only have experience to go on but it is a lot of experience.

    Another point is I rarely give out a lot of advice when it comes to gaining mass, reason being that it has never been very difficult for me. It is for this reason I personally have not had to go to great lengths to do it. I have trained many power athletes but most have them have been like me. I have trained some ectos successfully yes but most of my experience is with larger men. There is one thing I do know very well from experience it is how to get lean. Reason for this is it is almost impossible for me to do so. I said almost remember because, I've done it. It's not easy and contest dieting really sucks but I got it done. I do not believe I could have been successful if I only lifted heavy all the time. It may work for ectos but not for guys like me, or most that I have trained with, or have trained.

    Anyhow it's not smart to lift heavy all the time anyway. If you want to be doing this when you are my age anyway.
    LG Sciences sponsored athlete
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative
  12. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27066
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    You can lose fat with any kind of lifting yes, I have done a lot of different routines while cutting. Heavy is difficult though as when your cutting for contest your generally not at your best power wise.

    Lets make things more clear heavy lifting for me is compound movements between 2 and 6 reps as heavy as I can go. Anything higher rep wise would not be heavy lifting as it would mean that I lifted less weight.

    Now you can lift between 8 and 12 reps as heavy as you can and it will still cause a lot of the similar effects plus if you shorten you rest you will increase your intensity and yeild an all over better fat burning effect.

    There is no way that I will be able to burn as much fat my doing a heavy set like 4 reps then waiting 3 minutes before I do my next set. Yes there will be deeper more intense soreness and you will have to recover. Whose to say there is no need for recovery when you do say 8 or 10 reps. I only have experience to go on but it is a lot of experience.

    Another point is I rarely give out a lot of advice when it comes to gaining mass, reason being that it has never been very difficult for me. It is for this reason I personally have not had to go to great lengths to do it. I have trained many power athletes but most have them have been like me. I have trained some ectos successfully yes but most of my experience is with larger men. There is one thing I do know very well from experience it is how to get lean. Reason for this is it is almost impossible for me to do so. I said almost remember because, I've done it. It's not easy and contest dieting really sucks but I got it done. I do not believe I could have been successful if I only lifted heavy all the time. It may work for ectos but not for guys like me, or most that I have trained with, or have trained.

    Anyhow it's not smart to lift heavy all the time anyway. If you want to be doing this when you are my age anyway.
    You are taking the wrong approach if you are concerning yourself with how much fat you are burning during exercise. Alan Aragon said the following, along that respect:

    Worrying about how much fat you burn during exercise is like worrying about how much muscle you build.
    Point being - weight is lost aggregately, and over time. Therefore, it is diet, and not training, which should be your primary concern. That being said, most data points to a higher percentage of your 1RM, being lifted approximately 4-6 times, as being the path of least resistance towards muscle gain. I.e., a better approach to gain and/or maintain muscle.
  13. Diamond Member
    DreamWeaver's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    56
    Posts
    20,814
    Rep Power
    789769
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Just my .02, but you can DEFINITELY lose fat with heavy lifting/low reps - try 15-20 single squats at 90% 1RM, giving 20sec rest between each "single". It's a workout in and of itself and will leave you drenched in sweat, gasping for air and muscles burning like heck. Add in another 2 full-body movements and its a crazy fat burning combo.
    That is definitely another take on it, I assume that actually may work just as well as lighter short rest. That is another Poloquin type idea I believe. I was speaking more of power lifter type routines where you do no more that 4 to 6 reps, then rest like 4 minutes.

    Like I said though there are other reasons not to lift heavy all the time. I did too often and my shoulder blew up now I am sidelined for 3 weeks because I failed to do the routines that would give my joints and nervous system a break.
    LG Sciences sponsored athlete
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative
  14. Diamond Member
    DreamWeaver's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    56
    Posts
    20,814
    Rep Power
    789769
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    You are taking the wrong approach if you are concerning yourself with how much fat you are burning during exercise. Alan Aragon said the following, along that respect:



    Point being - weight is lost aggregately, and over time. Therefore, it is diet, and not training, which should be your primary concern. That being said, most data points to a higher percentage of your 1RM, being lifted approximately 4-6 times, as being the path of least resistance towards muscle gain. I.e., a better approach to gain and/or maintain muscle.
    I don't disagree with that, I don't worry that much about it, but I was asked what I thought would burn more. You have to do all different types of lifting anyway. I have been very very very lean remember I know what I am doing. I can do anything I want as far as getting lean goes. I have used a lot of different diets to get down to contest, and I am naturally very fat. If you lift that heavy all the time believe be you won't be doing this when your my age.
    LG Sciences sponsored athlete
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative
  15. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27066
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    I don't disagree with that, I don't worry that much about it, but I was asked what I thought would burn more. You have to do all different types of lifting anyway. I have been very very very lean remember I know what I am doing. I can do anything I want as far as getting lean goes. I have used a lot of different diets to get down to contest, and I am naturally very fat. If you lift that heavy all the time believe be you won't be doing this when your my age.
    I am aware of what lifting heavy does and does not do; I have been low as 5-7%, I am aware of how to get there as well; I am also aware that lifting strategies are a non-factor compared to diet in terms of weight loss.

  16. Diamond Member
    DreamWeaver's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    56
    Posts
    20,814
    Rep Power
    789769
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Agreed Well mostly, come to think of it the biggest reason I did not do a lot of heavy lifting during cutting for contest is that I usually felt like crap while dieting. We forget what modern supplementation does for us and yes I did lift heavy a lot more than I normally would because I feel better with recomp dieting and supplementation. I do still feel that a traditional heavy routine is not the best fat burner, but your right the significance is not that great as compared to diet, which is where almost all success comes from anyways. So yah moot point.

    Just a footnote Mullet I have a feeling it was much easier for you to get that low than it was for me. Just a hunch lol
    LG Sciences sponsored athlete
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative
  17. Elite Member
    TimberLakers's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,388
    Rep Power
    17052
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    70.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quick question for you Mullet (or anyone). I use ON Gold Standard Whey after my workout - which has 5.5 grams of BCAAs per scoop (I use two)... Is this enough for someone training 5x a week? Or do you recommend an actual BCAA supplement as well?
  18. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27066
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I think ratio of BCAA, rather than the absolute aggregate amount, is the most important factor.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. What to do after OEP/Recreate stack
    By mpkonig in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 10:19 PM
  2. Should I add recreate to my stack
    By bigbeef in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 02:28 PM
  3. my stack so far.recreate ect...
    By skratch in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 02:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in