Need alternative to Zoloft

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
My sister in law keeps trying to get my wife to start taking Zoloft. I'm putting in an order to Nutraplanet tonight. Is there anything I can get her in place of it? I've heard of Relora and Sam-e. Anybody have any ideas? I'm drawing a blank, thanks. I remember something that affected mood AND weight loss. What was that? It's probably banned now,lol.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
Kava.
Trust me on this. It works great, and is much cheaper, than anything from a script.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
zoloft, zoloft....I can't remember, is that for sleep, or depression? if it's for relaxation/rest/sleep, get some bulk l-tryptophan from NP, it's the main ingredient in lean dreams, and tryptophan is also what is in turkey that makes you sleepy. It's also what makes men chill out ofter an orgasm.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin and Tryptophan!

Seriously effective.. some people think melatonin can force dependency after awhile, but I think that's a little overblown (only extreme users would become dependent)..

That combo is cheap, effective, safe, and one that I personally use to help fall asleep!

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty sure Zoloft is in the SSRI category. The kava would be more for mood support, than insomnia.
I love my kava, btw.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Yes, Zoloft is for depression guys. My wife gets spun up and out of control some times, she's a wild one I tell ya. She has ADD too. I bought Kava and tried making tea with it and I didn't get anything from it. I think it was Kona Kava, still have it. I might try Idebenone, Bacopa and Alpha GPC. I forgot about some of the research I did for my own neuro cocktail. Ooh yea piracetam too. What Kava did you get?

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
whoops my fault :D I thought it was a sleep aid -- nevermind then!

krazy

Awards
Dude. Depression treatment should NEVER come down to SSRIs. They are nasty, hideous, ****ing horrible drugs. DONT let her take it!

You are much more served by examining EVERY aspect of her life. Diet, exercise, hormone levels, thyroid, zinc iron magnesium deficiencies. You owe it to yourself and your wife to track this depression down and NOT use an SSRI. Analyze EVERYTHING. Its worth it.

Tell your sister in law shes a ****ing nut.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
High dose fish oil is on my radar, thank you. I'm also going to hit up that Napalm/Clen combo for myself. I don't have much to lose around the middle.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Easy stuff. In order of importance:

1) Fish oil, 5-6g/day is good
2) 5-HTP (forget the Tryptophan, it's all about the hydroxy-)
3) Kava Kava
4) L-Tyrosine
5) L-Theanine
6) Rhodiola rosea

Oh, and lots of clean carbs at the right time of day - morning and lunch.

pushinweightw

Awards
  • Established
A great read on the subject: The Brain Chemistry Plan. Great book, breaks down alot of things that could really help your wife. Make sure she gets plenty of B's too.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I will take all of these suggestions into account. Trust me, I need to. She also needs exercise, just like me. Nutraplanet is out of alot of what I'm looking for right now. Next order will be big. Where's my shirt haha.

weakestlink

Awards
  • Established
Zolf is an anti-depressant. It allows excessive release of serotonin in the brain. This effect is the type that alcohol give you. Very social and happy effect. NOT A DROWSY EFFECT OR A RELAXATION EFFECT THESE EFFECT MAY CAUSE FURTHER DAMAGE. Please stop trying to self medicate your wife. I'm not trying to be a **** but Depression, Manic Depression, ADD, and dysthymic (basically major depression just different duration) are serious disorders. Please take this up with your wife's psychologist. If she does not have a psychologist (not A psychiatrist) then you need to get her a psychologist medication only works along with therapy. That is the problem with the US today we rely on meds and not therapy. I am a psychology major and let me tell you SUCIDE RATE IS HIGHEST AMONGST PEOPLE THAT ARE ACTUALLY ON MEDICATION (with major depression or dysthymic disorders). Why is this? Because there nuerotranmitters are healed before their brain can handle the concepts of their disorder causing them to have depressive thoughts but more energy to carry those depressive/suicidal thoughts) out. PLEASE STOP

/end rant sorry about that it is just upsetting to me. Please pass this info along.

Deegin

Awards
Edit: I agree with weakestlink about not self-medicating.. you and her should work with your doctor to find the root cause of the depression/mood problems and how to treat it. Jumping right on to supplements may only mask the problem, your doctor will know whats best so talk with him/her.

weakestlink

Awards
  • Established
Please do not listen to this. Again another reason people never get treated is because they take themselves of the drugs because they think they are better and they fall into a deeper depression. This is very touchy subject we are talking about someones brain. Please give this guy some useful info instead of garbage opinions that can harm his wife. Anything your wife has used and hasn't worked is for a reason BECAUSE THAT IS NOT FOR HER. You on a bbing website ask bbers to help medicate your wife. They are say things like this guy ^^ make sure her diet is right and ****. Yeah diet is important but if your wife has major depression chances are she is not eating (90% of people with MD do not eat). They do not sleep either nor do they have energy of Activities of daily living (ADL). Please listen to me.

weakestlink

Awards
  • Established
Look dude. Get a DSM IV look under major depression disorder and learn about the disorder. I can tell you a lot about and things you can do to help your wife. Please contact me for further assistance.

OH WOW I DIDN'T READ IT FULLY. DO NOT LET YOUR SISTER IN LAW GIVE HER ZOLOFT. YOUR WIFE NEEDS TO SEE A PSYCHOLOGIST. GENERAL INSURANCE SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THAT

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Hey man, everybody has a valid opinion, but just remember thats all it is. Just the opinion of a stranger who has no idea about your situation. My opinion is, yes, medications in general are over prescribed in the US. We are 2% of the world's population, and consume 70% of the worlds drug, while ranking 28th in general health. So things are by no means perfect. Personally, I think that stress and anxiety are part of life and no pill will fix that. On the otherhand, treatment that involves psychotropic medications is warrented in some cases. I don't know if your wife is one of these cases. It sounds more like her sister wants her to jump on the antidepressant bandwagon, so to speak. Those situations are tough, family members can certainly have an influence over these kinds of things, but my main point is to leave this in the hands of a licensed professional that you know and trust, and most importantly one who knows your wife's case history.

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
Yes, Zoloft is for depression guys. My wife gets spun up and out of control some times, she's a wild one I tell ya. She has ADD too.
My X was treated for depression with so many drugs, I cannot remember. She never believed herself to be depressed. I always told her she needed to see a Psychologist to get at the root of the problem vs. medicating it.

She was later diagnosed to be manic depressive and she had the same trait you describe above, spun up and out of control. One day it did get out of control and very bad things happened.

As others have noted, diet and nutrition is important, but get her to a doctor, and the right kind too, not just one willing to hand out a script.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
have her see a psychologist and a psychiatrist.

dont try to use supplements as a solution. if it is a serious thing then she will most likely need real medication.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dude. Depression treatment should NEVER come down to SSRIs. They are nasty, hideous, ****ing horrible drugs. DONT let her take it!

You are much more served by examining EVERY aspect of her life. Diet, exercise, hormone levels, thyroid, zinc iron magnesium deficiencies. You owe it to yourself and your wife to track this depression down and NOT use an SSRI. Analyze EVERYTHING. Its worth it.

what is the reasons you feel so strongly against SSRI's???

pushinweightw

Awards
  • Established
In the book I mentioned, The Brian Chemistry Plan, the author always recomends using the therapies he describes with your doctor. Also the book is written by an actuall MD, not some quasi supp guru who takes an anti drug stance. I feel this book really could help as it has helped me imensely.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Look dude. Get a DSM IV look under major depression disorder and learn about the disorder.
lol there was a time in my life where I had to steal to eat, DSM IV's
went for good money at college buy backs. Especially when you had like 5 of 'em and hit up 3 colleges. :)

weakestlink

Awards
  • Established
lol there was a time in my life where I had to steal to eat, DSM IV's
went for good money at college buy backs. Especially when you had like 5 of 'em and hit up 3 colleges. :)
LMAO Dude in grad school if you have to do a report with a certain reference book. People will steal that **** so nobody has it to do the report.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
LMAO Dude in grad school if you have to do a report with a certain reference book. People will steal that **** so nobody has it to do the report.
ooh, that's a cold blooded tactic, mine all had the shrink wrap still on them. Was a difficult target object to hide quickly or move with naturally, I can say that much.

weakestlink

Awards
  • Established
ooh, that's a cold blooded tactic, mine all had the shrink wrap still on them. Was a difficult target object to hide quickly or move with naturally, I can say that much.
lol yeah i know it is. How did you manage to get them with shrink wrap?

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Ok everybody, just whoa... I've never seen such ballistic responses to any other post I've ever made here! Chill out! weakestlink I AM NOT PUTTING MY WIFE ON ZOLOFT. READ IT AGAIN.

My sister used to be a Pharmaceutical Rep so she is Pro Meds.

I AM SOO, NOT.

Furthermore, My wife is not an axe swinging manic depressive. She gets anxiety and has mood spells, LIKE ALOT OF US HERE.

The reason I posted the thread in the first place was to ask for suggestions on some good anti-anxiety SUPPLEMENTS instead of something like Zoloft.

Maybe I didn't clarify myself. THAT'S MY FAULT.

(I decided on Bacopa Monneri from using the .)

Stop the degree dropping.

I'm asking people here because they use an array of supplements for a variety of different reasons.

Some of these posts get no response and others (like mine) receive the "I'm not trying to be a ****, but you need to take your wife to see a doctor award.

Anybody who has been around here for a little while knows I don't usually respond this way, but if I can't discuss supps for anxiety with people who have used them, well then I won't know much about supps like Bacopa Monneri, Alpha GPC, Relora, Idebenone, Tyrosine, ALCAR, Fish oil, Phenibut etc...

Go see a doctor. Check.

This was NOT a rant. Here, everybody just chill out and eat.:hot:

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Yea, now that I reread it. It sure is, haha.

I had to come back and add something.

Out of everybody telling me to take my wife to see a Pysch, how many of you are married? The married guys are laughing right now. If you are single, or have the most wonderful girl in the world. Cherish it now. Marriage will turn her into a head spinning beast from time to time. Don't believe me? Not going to listen to Dr. Mach? Go on, marry the angel.:box::chick::whip:

JJC

Awards
  • Established

Hmmm...this is an interesting and possibly uninformed opinion. How have you come to this? Why are you against using SSRIs to treat depression? I think you haven't had enough contact with people who suffer from depression, anxiety, or other mental health issues to see how well medication can help people.

OP, if you really think that your wife needs help, let her go see a doctor. It's completely normal. Whether or not you're married to the person, doesn't make a difference. This isn't her fault. Depression, etc are disorders just like anything else. Treatable, but disorders nonetheless. Get real help. Supplements cannot and will not hold a candle to what real prescription medications can do. Do not self medicate. Do not stop your prescription once you're on. Keep a close eye on her until she has stabilized with new meds. Help her treat the physiological and psychological parts of her disease.

Best of luck.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
Kind of related, I went to a psychologist at 18 because I had problems concentrating in classes/college and saw all the ADD ads on tv, so figured I might bring it up with my Dr. He sent me to a psychologist to test for ADD, and long story short she said that from the 600 question test that I was severely depressed and THATS why I had problems concentrating in class. She told me that she wanted to put me on Bupropion/Wellbutrin or Alprazolam/Zanex. She ALSO wanted me to come in at least weekly to have "sessions." All it seemed like was that she just wants the session dollars!!

Biggest load of crap i've ever heard. Told her thanks but no thanks, i'm not depressed, and went on to make chancellors list/deans list constantly throughout college.

Your wife might just have isolated incidents of anxiety/mood swings (especially now since our society is cram everything in as short of a time as possible, it's bound to create stress). Every HEALTHY human does or should, even if they don't admit it. It's what helps us from going insane ;).

Try some of the alternatives listed here:

Welbutrin Information - Learn about Welbutrin Uses, Side Effects, Warnings and Alternatives
Over the course of the last 3 decades, a large amount of clinical evidence and research suggests that natural alternatives like St. Johns Wort, 5-HTP, SAM-e, Kava Kava and other herbal supplements can help to provide short-term relief without the adverse side effects.

weakestlink

Awards
  • Established
Yea, now that I reread it. It sure is, haha.

I had to come back and add something.

Out of everybody telling me to take my wife to see a Pysch, how many of you are married? The married guys are laughing right now. If you are single, or have the most wonderful girl in the world. Cherish it now. Marriage will turn her into a head spinning beast from time to time. Don't believe me? Not going to listen to Dr. Mach? Go on, marry the angel.:box::chick::whip:

In response to you saying that your wife has anxiety she should be tested for Generalized anxiety disorder as her doctor to test her. We all have high anxiety at times but it is the duration, distress, danger and deviance that sets the people with a disorder apart from a healthy individual. IF the anxiety is effecting her ADL then she has a probably and it can easily be accessed by a doctor (Even though they have minimal training in this department). I know how you feel with the problems. I have been with the same girl for 2 years and I am constantly telling her to get help and it doesn't work.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
lol yeah i know it is. How did you manage to get them with shrink wrap?
At the time, Barnes & noble had hardcover editions still sealed just sitting on the shelves. As fortune had it, it's also not particularly popular subject matter, so it was always nice & quiet around that area of the store.

krazy

Awards
Zolf is an anti-depressant. It allows excessive release of serotonin in the brain. This effect is the type that alcohol give you.
LOL Im glad you're only a psychologist and not a psychiatrist.

Alcohol = active at GABA and NDMA (most of its effects)
Zoloft/general SSRIs = active at Serotonin

The types of effects are completely different. I think you may be thinking of muscle relaxants and alcohol which are the ones that are similar. Muscle relaxants = GABA.

krazy

Awards
what is the reasons you feel so strongly against SSRI's???
Dude they are hideous drugs.

It can cause a whole slew of sexual side effects (delayed orgasm and/or ejaculation, low sex drive). It is not uncommon for permanent damage to your sex drive.

They can reduce your ability to ever naturally (without drugs) experience happiness again (just by damaging the **** they mess with in the brain).

They cause weight gain in some (think of the fat emo chick).

Diminished sleep quality (think about what YEARS of sleep deprivation would do to you... not good right?)

Do you really want to risk ANY of these things? Sex? Ability for natural happiness? Those are (at least) two things I would never want ANYTHING ****ing with.

Ive suffered with anxiety and depression for a long time. For the past 2 years Ive been researching medicine and about everything I can get my hands on and Im finding more and more thats wrong with my body (for example low testosterone.. thats a killer) that I could fix. The average American has a repulsively shitty diet and a vast lack of exercise. Theres SO much that can be done in just tuning your diet and exercise and routines alone. Its much more than popping a pill.

I agree with the notion that the OP shouldnt rely on supplements and try to self-medicate. A responsible approach to this is required and, if the situation becomes severe problems, immediate professionl intervention should be sought immediately. But, thats not to say that one should make every last attempt to avoid mis-medicating.

JJC

Awards
  • Established

It can cause a whole slew of sexual side effects (delayed orgasm and/or ejaculation, low sex drive). It is not uncommon for permanent damage to your sex drive.

They can reduce your ability to ever naturally (without drugs) experience happiness again (just by damaging the **** they mess with in the brain).

Diminished sleep quality (think about what YEARS of sleep deprivation would do to you... not good right?)

Do you really want to risk ANY of these things? Sex? Ability for natural happiness? Those are (at least) two things I would never want ANYTHING ****ing with.

Ive suffered with anxiety and depression for a long time. For the past 2 years Ive been researching medicine and about everything I can get my hands on and Im finding more and more thats wrong with my body (for example low testosterone.. thats a killer) that I could fix. The average American has a repulsively shitty diet and a vast lack of exercise. Theres SO much that can be done in just tuning your diet and exercise and routines alone. Its much more than popping a pill.

I agree with the notion that the OP shouldnt rely on supplements and try to self-medicate. A responsible approach to this is required and, if the situation becomes severe problems, immediate professionl intervention should be sought immediately. But, thats not to say that one should make every last attempt to avoid mis-medicating.
All of those things you mentioned above, have improved for me. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that what works for me will happen for everyone else. I am on Welbutrin XR and Lexapro, low doses of each.

Because of improved sense of well-being and decrease in depressive episodes, my sex drive has increased. Delayed ejaculation/orgasm is not necessarily a bad thing either...that can make sex more enjoyable for both you and your partner.

As far as never experiencing happiness without the drugs, I'm not sure that's necessarily true. For one, you should probably not come off of your meds if you are prescribed them and they work for you. The drugs are not going to permanently fix you (that's what therapy is for...to change your way of thinking and thus change the way you feel). In almost all cases, you need the meds because your body is not balancing neurotransmitters as it should...you may need them for all of your life.

Weight gain may be a factor depending on which medication you are on...but in cases like Welbutrin which works on norepinephrine, you may even lose weight because of what norepi does. Also, sleep usually improves from SSRIs since serotonin is synthesized from tryptophan which helps regulate sleep patterns.

While a proper diet and a sound exercise regimen will help you feel better, it may not help your mental health illnesses. And yes, there are many complicated, interlaced pathways in the body which may be causing her (or anyone) problems so it would be useful to look at it from other angles as well (hormones, life style, etc). If you're intelligent enough to understand how the drugs work, then you should look into them because you will know what they may do for and that they are not magic pills. Often it takes many trials to find the right drug for you. Medicine is not an exact science, that's why they call it practicing medicine. It may take many different attempts to get to the root of the problem.

jdownesbaird

Awards

SSRIs can POSSIBLY cause the negative effects you mention, but when used properly under the close care of a GOOD physician, they can also save lives. The vast majority of people on these meds have little to no side effects, and any side effects are usually outweighed by the positive effects. I'm not saying that everyone with mood issues should be on drugs, but for some people, depression is a PHYSICAL problem with the brain. You can't think yourself out of diabetes anymore than you can think yourself out of a TRUE major depression. Certainly psychological factors effect all types of depression, but over time the stress/cortisol/trauma etc. physically alters brain chemistry such that medical intervention is necessary. Then, when stabilized, this person is more likely to benefit from therapy.

None of us know the details of this particular case, and therefore it is careless and irresponsible to suggest a person not take a particular medication because of our own misconceptions/experiences. Depression can be life threatening. Would any of you feel comfortable advising people how to treat their cardiac arrythmias or pancreatitis or diabetes with supplements?

weakestlink

Awards
  • Established
LOL Im glad you're only a psychologist and not a psychiatrist.

Alcohol = active at GABA and NDMA (most of its effects)
Zoloft/general SSRIs = active at Serotonin

The types of effects are completely different. I think you may be thinking of muscle relaxants and alcohol which are the ones that are similar. Muscle relaxants = GABA.
Did doesn't only effect GABA. Also I said the feeling you get from high serotonin is talkative happy feeling like you're are drunk. Learn what the NTs do and then come talk to me.

weakestlink

Awards
  • Established
SSRIs can POSSIBLY cause the negative effects you mention, but when used properly under the close care of a GOOD physician, they can also save lives. The vast majority of people on these meds have little to no side effects, and any side effects are usually outweighed by the positive effects. I'm not saying that everyone with mood issues should be on drugs, but for some people, depression is a PHYSICAL problem with the brain. You can't think yourself out of diabetes anymore than you can think yourself out of a TRUE major depression. Certainly psychological factors effect all types of depression, but over time the stress/cortisol/trauma etc. physically alters brain chemistry such that medical intervention is necessary. Then, when stabilized, this person is more likely to benefit from therapy.

None of us know the details of this particular case, and therefore it is careless and irresponsible to suggest a person not take a particular medication because of our own misconceptions/experiences. Depression can be life threatening. Would any of you feel comfortable advising people how to treat their cardiac arrythmias or pancreatitis or diabetes with supplements?
I love this guy.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
From what I hear, Kanna (active in Bliss shot) acts as a natural SSRI.

weakestlink

Awards
  • Established
From what I hear, Kanna (active in Bliss shot) acts as a natural SSRI.
I tried bliss shot yesterday for the first time and I got nothing out of it. MY gf is like 100lbs and she got nothing out of it.

krazy

Awards
Welbutrin XR and Lexapro
Wellbutrin is not an SSRI.

Because of improved sense of well-being and decrease in depressive episodes, my sex drive has increased. Delayed ejaculation/orgasm is not necessarily a bad thing either...that can make sex more enjoyable for both you and your partner.
Wellbutrin, being that it is not an SSRI but moreso a stimulant, actually is known to INCREASE libido. SSRIs demolish libido.

As far as never experiencing happiness without the drugs, I'm not sure that's necessarily true. For one, you should probably not come off of your meds if you are prescribed them and they work for you. The drugs are not going to permanently fix you (that's what therapy is for...to change your way of thinking and thus change the way you feel). In almost all cases, you need the meds because your body is not balancing neurotransmitters as it should...you may need them for all of your life.
Agreed that your body is not balancing neurotransmitters like it should.

There is significant clinical research, though, that safer therapies exist if you get off your ass. 6 months of a cardiovascular exercise regimen was proven to be MORE EFFECTIVE than Prozac. You're right, the drugs are not going to permanently fix you... YOU need to permanently fix you.

Weight gain may be a factor depending on which medication you are on...but in cases like Welbutrin which works on norepinephrine, you may even lose weight because of what norepi does.
So you seem to know Wellbutrin is not an SSRI...?

Also, sleep usually improves from SSRIs since serotonin is synthesized from tryptophan which helps regulate sleep patterns.
Here's just one article about SSRI-induced insomnia:
Antidepressant-Induced Insomnia: Treatment Options | Perspectives in Psychiatric Care | Find Articles at BNET.com

SSRIs can POSSIBLY cause the negative effects you mention, but when used properly under the close care of a GOOD physician, they can also save lives.
Dude, are you serious?

First off, if you were under the care of a GOOD physician, you would be receiving a:
-Thyroid panel
-Metabolic panel
-Complete HPTA analysis (this includes ALOT of ****... a complete panel for hormone levels which is a whole 'nother ballgame on its own)
-Diet analysis
-Sleep pattern analysis
-Analysis of daily habits (caffeine usage, stress levels)

And, Id be almost certain that a 'GOOD' doctor who does this would find 99% of the time the problem isnt serotonin. For the record, I am low testosterone and require TRT. For just one bullet on the above list (complete HPTA analysis), I am driving 7 hours to an adjacent state to see a 'GOOD' doctor (one who will do all the tests I mentioned). And thats for just one aspect of the list above. You think the PCP that I almost guarantee the OP or any Joe Schmoe average American is going to walk into will be a 'GOOD' doctor? Dont fool yourself, buddy.

The vast majority of people on these meds have little to no side effects, and any side effects are usually outweighed by the positive effects.
You are horribly misinformed. Between 17 and 60% of people experience sexual dysfunction alone. The numbers vary widely but the point is: SSRIs clearly **** your sexual system up.

Quoth the Wiki:
"In one study in which patients with SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction were switched to the dopaminergic antidepressant amineptine, 55% still had at least some type of sexual dysfunction after six months compared to 4% in the control group treated with amineptine alone."

So, again for emphasis,
The vast majority of people on these meds have little to no side effects...
:rofl:

I'm not saying that everyone with mood issues should be on drugs, but for some people, depression is a PHYSICAL problem with the brain. You can't think yourself out of diabetes anymore than you can think yourself out of a TRUE major depression.
Diabetes = isolated (to a degree)
Depression and all things mind = Part of a vastly huge network of bodily systems very closely wired together. All Im saying is most people opt for the damaging (as proven above), easy way out of SSRIs when they dont think to attempt things like not eating like ****, getting off their ass and exercising, managing their stress levels, sleeping 8 hrs, etc etc. All of which play into this huge network. If youve got diabetes, youve got diabetes, dude. But depression, evolutionarily, is a way of saying 'hey somethings wrong in the matrix'. Notice how everyone and everything claims a potential symptom as 'depression'. Depression just tells you something is wrong. Whether it be serotonin related or not is the problem. Im willing to bet, more often then not, 'depression' isnt related to serotonin AT ALL in most cases.

Certainly psychological factors effect all types of depression, but over time the stress/cortisol/trauma etc. physically alters brain chemistry such that medical intervention is necessary.
Yes, certainly. But those same triggers that got you into that given hormonal mess (or any other mess of health) can do the same in reverse... no SSRI required.

None of us know the details of this particular case, and therefore it is careless and irresponsible to suggest a person not take a particular medication because of our own misconceptions/experiences. Depression can be life threatening.
I want it to be crystal clear, though, that I agree with you wholeheartedly on this. Although it would be more like our own clinically proven conceptions/experiences. ;)

Did doesn't only effect GABA. Also I said the feeling you get from high serotonin is talkative happy feeling like you're are drunk. Learn what the NTs do and then come talk to me.
It sounded an awful lot to me like you attempted to compare alcohol to SSRIs is all. Im well aware of what NTs do, dude.

I just want it to be known that Im not saying SSRI therapy is completely unacceptable. There are certainly cases where immediate SSRI therapy = a saved life. Major, severe depression REQUIRES SSRI therapy, certainly. But I believe SSRIs are being wildly overprescribed. In fact, I believe 90% of the cases in which SSRIs are prescribed are misdiagnosed. Making the decision to take an SSRI, in my opinion, needs to be a mature, well-informed decision coming after an extensive laundry list of labwork and lifestyle analysis is done, first. The average American is fat, stressed, and without a solid exercise regimen. THESE are the things that need to be prescribed... not another ****ing SSRI.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Has she had hormones tested? Has she tried DHEA?

jdownesbaird

Awards
Dude, are you serious?

First off, if you were under the care of a GOOD physician, you would be receiving a:
-Thyroid panel
-Metabolic panel
-Complete HPTA analysis (this includes ALOT of ****... a complete panel for hormone levels which is a whole 'nother ballgame on its own)
-Diet analysis
-Sleep pattern analysis
-Analysis of daily habits (caffeine usage, stress levels)

And, Id be almost certain that a 'GOOD' doctor who does this would find 99% of the time the problem isnt serotonin. For the record, I am low testosterone and require TRT. For just one bullet on the above list (complete HPTA analysis), I am driving 7 hours to an adjacent state to see a 'GOOD' doctor (one who will do all the tests I mentioned). And thats for just one aspect of the list above. You think the PCP that I almost guarantee the OP or any Joe Schmoe average American is going to walk into will be a 'GOOD' doctor? Dont fool yourself, buddy.

You are horribly misinformed. Between 17 and 60% of people experience sexual dysfunction alone. The numbers vary widely but the point is: SSRIs clearly **** your sexual system up.
Perhaps our definitions of depression are different. I have not suggested that SSRIs (or other antidepressants) be routinely prescribed for minor mood issues that should could otherwise be dealt with using therapy/counseling/exercise/etc. I am advocating the use of these meds in severe cases (major depressive disorder) where there are little, if any, alternatives. In fact, your dangerous statement ("Depression treatment should NEVER come down to SSRIs") prompted me to make my post. There are serious cases that necessitate the use of medication in order to get the person to a place where they can take advantage of other treatment alternatives. Since we know little about the OPs wife, I thought it was irresponsible for you to make a blanket statement about SSRIs having no place in treatment. In your last post you did state that you felt antidepressants could play a role in "major, severe depression", so perhaps your first comment was made in haste.

I should clarify one of my comments. In the vast majority of cases where antidepressant therapy is absolutely necessary, there are little to no side effects THAT OUTWEIGH THE POTENTIAL LIFE-SAVING BENEFITS OF THE MEDICATIONS. I am well aware of how common sexual side effects are, but it often is not a deal breaker in appropriately prescribed cases. Many patients are more than happy to deal with them in order to get their lives back. I'm not sure why you take exception to my comment that a good physician is required to appropriately prescribe these meds ("Dude, are you serious?") which I also agree can be overprescribed. I stand by my statement that good physicians, in any medical specialty, are essential in appropriately using medications. In fact, you admitted that you are willing to drive a far distance to get the care you need and deserve. The existence of bad doctors should not mean that good medications should not exist for those who need them. And, you assume too much when you commented about the OP's PCP ("You think the PCP that I almost guarantee the OP or any Joe Schmoe average American is going to walk into will be a 'GOOD' doctor? Dont fool yourself, buddy.") We have no idea what kind of care they have access to.

I agree that every patient with a "mental illness" should first have a complete workup to rule out so-called "organic" causes. I also agree that brain/behaviour issues are influenced by a "vastly huge network of bodily systems very closely wired together". Thyroid problems, tumors, endocrine issues, strokes, drug use, medication reactions, viral infections, and electrolyte/glucose abnormalities can ALL mimic depression. These causes must/will be considered by a "good" physican. As a medical resident in psychiatry, not a single patient was admitted to our unit without a CBC, EKG, thryoid check, renal panel, and tox screen (among other tests at our discretion depending on the case). MRIs were routinely ordered as well.

I think you are overemphasizing the role of serotonin in depression. While obviously important, few psychiatrists believe in the simple/old model that depression is simply a shortage of any one neurotransmitter. SSRIs increase serotonin in the brain WITHIN HOURS of the first dose. However, it is usually weeks before a patient sees a significant improvement in mood. If it were just a matter of a shortage of serotonin, a person's depression would be alleviated within hours of the first dose. Clearly there is some other pathway that is RESPONDING to the serotonin that ultimately results in feeling better, rather than the presence of serotonin itself. This also explains why other antidepressants that don't primarily effect serotonin (Effexor, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta) are just as effective as SSRIs. There is currently no lab test in existance that can check your brain for a shortage of any neurotransmitter, so most psychiatrists have to treat based on symptoms.

You stated that " those same triggers that got you into that given hormonal mess (or any other mess of health) can do the same in reverse... no SSRI required". I agree. Sometimes. However, sometimes the damage is so substantial that simply removing the offending factor doesn't fix the problem. It's like quitting smoking AFTER you get lung cancer. You still require treatment for the cancer. After treatment, however, not smoking will improve your chances of remaining cancer free.

I have PERSONALLY seen hundreds of lives saved because of antidepressant therapy. In these severe cases, the part of the brain responsible for providing pleasure/comfort/satisfaction is no longer working, and the patient experiences constant fear and sadness. Talking, sleeping, eating well, and exercising will do nothing for these people, at least in this acute state of crisis. Their brains are betraying them and, at least initially, the cause is not important. Whether it was trauma, stress, abuse, or genetic factors, a severely depressed person needs medication before they can work on changing life factors. I'm sure you and I would agree that problems in treatment decisions lie in the "grey" areas: those patients that aren't miserable/suicidally depressed, and simply are sad or stressed. Do you treat these people with medications? Are potential side effects worth it?

I would encourage you to do some more research on the positive side of antidepressant therapy. Sleep, weight, and eating habits (and even sexual issues) often IMPROVE on these meds (again, when they are prescribed correctly). When sexual side effects occur, they go away when the medication dose is stopped/changed. THEY ARE NOT PERMANENT (Where did you get this?). I'm not sure what you think these meds do. They don't induce euphoria or "drug" you up. In fact, if you are a happy person, they won't make you happier. They will probably do nothing, or give you a few side effects. They fix a very specific biological problem, and if that problem isn't there, the meds will do nothing. It is a misconception that you become dependent on these meds or "use them as a crutch" instead of dealing with real issues. Please show me the source that supports your idea that these meds "reduce your ability to ever naturally (without drugs) experience happiness again". This simply is not true. True, many people must remain on these drugs for the rest of their lives in order prevent depression, but it is not because the meds have "ruined" their ability to fuction drug free. It is the DEPRESSION and the resulting damage that has taken away their ability to function without meds. Again, this is only in extreme cases.

Believe it or not, I am a strong advocate for keeping people off meds at all costs if it is in their best interests. However, it is simply ridiculous for you to say "tell your sister in law she is a ****ing nut" for wanting to help. You state this with way too much conviction for someone who knows nothing about these people, and this is potentially dangerous. I respect your opinion, but not when you impose it on other people.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
jdownesbaird, thank you for taking the time to post. You seem to have a great amount of knowledge in this area. Repped.

EmAzing

EmAzing

Awards
Just my input- I sought the advice and treatment of both a Psychiatrist and my liscensed OMD (Oriental medicine Doctor).

Both were very insightful and helped a great deal.

Overall, my OMD has helped alot, and continues to help me.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I'll be the first one to say tell anyone with half their wits that psychiatric medicine is NOT a road that they want to go down.

Eliminate SSRIs right off the bat, for almost all cases of depression are due to imbalances (or lack of) dopamine and norepinephrine. SSRIs do (and will) have that numbing effect that everyone seems to worry about. If you have low dopamine and norepinephrine, taking additional serotonergic compounds will merely make one content in his/her own miserable situation. Dopamine allows one the will to act in order to take care of things and deal with issues, whilst norepinephrine provides the energy/wakefulness to do so.

I'm surprised not to see DL-Phenylalanine in the mix. It's ranked by many as the best anti-depressant available, OTC or not. It is a racemic mixture of D & L phenylalanine. The D form is responsible for inhibiting the breakdown of endorphins and the L form is a precursor to PEA (the body's natural anti-depressant) and tyrosine which converts to thyroid hormone and dopamine. Low thyroid hormone is also a common cause of depression, so this is a double bonus here. Dopamine will additionally convert to norepinephrine as well.

People sometimes also underestimate the diminished endorphin levels in relation to depression. Endorphins deteriorate with physical and mental stress along with poor diet. Ever feel PAIN when you're depressed? Ever binge eat when you're depressed? It may be your body's attempt to release endorphins.

Again, I think SSRIs are horrible ideas for depression for too many reasons. I also think tryptophan is a piss poor choice for depression. It may alleviate symptoms in some cases, but more serotonin will pretty much mask everything and make it seem ok.

The tryptophan found in Lean Dreams is tryptophan ethyl ester. I've never seen it before in ANY other formula and there are not much human studies on it and no published studies for depression treatment with it. It kinda reminds me of ALRI putting a 'sulbutiamine-like' compound in Venom HD (Sulbutiamine is isobutyrylthiamine disulfide and Venom has something called isobutyrylthiamine trisulfide). There exists no literature on this compound whatsoever. Does it exist? Maybe?

Anyhow, if you are using the DLPA and wish to take 1 mg of melatonin and 50mg 5-HTP at night for a better night sleep, this is a feasible application.

Hope I can help.