Maltodextrin

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.04%

Maltodextrin

I was talking to our lifting "conductor" at my school (an army lieutenant), and told him of my intentions to drop 10 or 15 pounds in fat before the football season starts to get a little quicker, as I feel I'm beginning to lose a step after putting on 25 lbs. this year. He said "there wasn't too much fat on me" (I'm guessing around 9%-10% bf?) and he argued that leg strengthening would do the trick better than losing weight would. He suggested a complex carb supplement (which obviously contains maltodextrin). Now, as I point out in my signature, I'm an awkward medium between an ectomorph and a mesomorph, leaning more towards the ectomorphic side. Do you believe maltodextrin supplementation would be more effective in gaining strength all around, or should I go on as planned and lose some fat before the season starts up? Perhaps both?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.05%

If you're around 10% BF then you don't have much to lose...definitely not 25 lbs. 10% should be your goal, only lower than that if doing a BB'ing contest.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.04%

I've gained 25lbs. this year, I'm looking to lose 10-15.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.29%

dont cut just clean bulk/recomp ur way thru and get that strength and lose a touch of bf. forget melto and get some oats instead, and maybe try AP/YG to help recomp alone, good luck with whatever u choose to do!!
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.05%

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    I've gained 25lbs. this year, I'm looking to lose 10-15.
    Given your stats and that you say you're 10% already you don't need to lose any.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.04%

Quote Originally Posted by Speed321 View Post
    dont cut just clean bulk/recomp ur way thru and get that strength and lose a touch of bf. forget melto and get some oats instead, and maybe try AP/YG to help recomp alone, good luck with whatever u choose to do!!
    Thanks bro

Quote Originally Posted by bigrobbierob View Post
    Given your stats and that you say you're 10% already you don't need to lose any.
    I think I could fairly easily get down into the 8% range with just a little fewer cals and some heightened cardio, as I'm kind of sick of bulking as of now. Grocery bills are through the roof.

Does anyone else have any input as to whether or not I should take malto to gain?
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.48%

I was talking to our lifting "conductor" at my school (an army lieutenant), and told him of my intentions to drop 10 or 15 pounds in fat before the football season starts to get a little quicker, as I feel I'm beginning to lose a step after putting on 25 lbs. this year. He said "there wasn't too much fat on me" (I'm guessing around 9%-10% bf?) and he argued that leg strengthening would do the trick better than losing weight would. He suggested a complex carb supplement (which obviously contains maltodextrin). Now, as I point out in my signature, I'm an awkward medium between an ectomorph and a mesomorph, leaning more towards the ectomorphic side. Do you believe maltodextrin supplementation would be more effective in gaining strength all around, or should I go on as planned and lose some fat before the season starts up? Perhaps both?
    9-10% and you think you need to lose weight?? Are you 6'2 and 175 like your sig says? And your playing football? You need to gain weight!!! Listen to your coach and hit the gym hard squatting your ass off. BTW, I think you probably aren't 9-10% bodyfat because you would not even think about losing weight if you were truely at this bodyfat level. And FWIW maltodextrin is a streched starch molecule to make it seem like a complex carbohydrate, but it is really a sugar in disguise (aka glucose polymer). Its like drinking white bread.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.48%

Thanks bro

I think I could fairly easily get down into the 8% range with just a little fewer cals and some heightened cardio, as I'm kind of sick of bulking as of now. Grocery bills are through the roof.

Does anyone else have any input as to whether or not I should take malto to gain?
    You can take malto if your having trouble getting all your meals in. I would give you a better suggestion about the malto but I don't know what your diet looks like since you haven't posted it so I can't really critique that for you...
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.04%

Quote Originally Posted by Botch View Post
    9-10% and you think you need to lose weight?? Are you 6'2 and 175 like your sig says? And your playing football? You need to gain weight!!! Listen to your coach and hit the gym hard squatting your ass off. BTW, I think you probably aren't 9-10% bodyfat because you would not even think about losing weight if you were truely at this bodyfat level. And FWIW maltodextrin is a streched starch molecule to make it seem like a complex carbohydrate, but it is really a sugar in disguise (aka glucose polymer). Its like drinking white bread...

You can take malto if your having trouble getting all your meals in. I would give you a better suggestion about the malto but I don't know what your diet looks like since you haven't posted it so I can't really critique that for you...
    Thanks for the response, reps. I'm not having troubles getting my meals in at all, so I'm currently thinking "negative" on the malto. My ratios are in my sig, but if you want an in-depth analysis, I'd be happy to PM it to you.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Maltodextrin
    By zwa004 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 09:24 PM
  2. Maltodextrin vs. Dextrose
    By classic27 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 04:33 PM
  3. WMS, Maltodextrin, or both?
    By CarterMalone in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4