State your immediate POSTWORKOUT drink here!

freakabe

Awards
As above.

I would like to know what everyone takes IMMEDIATE POSTWORKOUT.

Cheers!
:bb2::donut:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
16oz water, 1 cup oatmeal, 40g wms or a banana, 2 scoops ON whey.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I don't drink anything immediately after my last set, my pre-workout meal still has me covered. Instead I pop a AP immediately post workout then 20 minuets later have my post workout meal (whey, f/f milk, bagel, maybe a banana.)

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I don't drink anything immediately after my last set, my pre-workout meal still has me covered. Instead I pop a AP immediately post workout then 20 minuets later have my post workout meal (whey, f/f milk, bagel, maybe a banana.)
Cheater! I use AP with my pre-workout. Haven't joined the darkside of the PSlin/AP combo. :twisted:

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
I switch between Muscle Delight and Omega Sports One. Mostly is depends on when my next meal is after I workout.

stick figure

stick figure

Awards
I don't drink anything immediately after my last set, my pre-workout meal still has me covered. banana.)
just a suggestion... but I would think it would be best to consume some sort of pwo drink or amino's. you are more than likely going to use up most of your pre-wo aminos and energy during your workout and it is essential that you either get aminos or protein pwo. your muscles are dying for it and the sooner you can get them into you body after your work out the better. they are an essential part of muscle recovery.... just imo.

rcaz01

Awards
40g-50g of protein (Beverely UMP) and 30g of WMS.

I may be switching to just straight Whey Iso to save some money. I don't think the extras in the UMP are as useful in the post-workout. I have to find a flavor/brand I really like which I have not found yet.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Cheater! I use AP with my pre-workout. Haven't joined the darkside of the PSlin/AP combo. :twisted:
Lol I haven't either man, I had been dosing AP pre/post and with 1 other meal (I liked dosing them around the most crucial time.) I have some P-Slin on hand and will be doing the AP/P-Slin combo in the summer (with a couple of different dosing times.)

just a suggestion... but I would think it would be best to consume some sort of pwo drink or amino's. you are more than likely going to use up most of your pre-wo aminos and energy during your workout and it is essential that you either get aminos or protein pwo. your muscles are dying for it and the sooner you can get them into you body after your work out the better. they are an ese sential part of muscle recovery.... just imo.
I find my pre-meal covers me pretty well throughout my workout. I also read an article on how intra workout BCAAs inhibits initial muscle damage during training. However from time to time I will still drink an Xtend+Bulk BCAA combo if I'm feeling saucy.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Well, ive been doing the IF(intermittent fasting) diet the last 2 months. So i dont eat all day for 16hrs, then workout on a fasted stomach, then for my PWO meal, I eat most of my calories for that day from 7pm till midnight, then go to sleep. I then fast again from midnight till 5 or 6pm the next day. I like it.

daily schedule:
midnight - 6pm = no food
6pm - 7pm = fullbody workout
7pm - midnight = eats 2000 or so calories

repeat

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
So you're dosing AP twice in about a 3 hour window? Are you noticing any benefits from the close dosing?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been using Anabolic Window since I picked some up reasonably cheap. For immediate post workout, I beleive the studies showed that taking in 20g of simple carbs with 10g of protein was enough to meet the immediate needs, then your post workout meal within an hour is all you need

blackjackcat

Awards
I find my pre-meal covers me pretty well throughout my workout. I also read an article on how intra workout BCAAs inhibits initial muscle damage during training. However from time to time I will still drink an Xtend+Bulk BCAA combo if I'm feeling saucy.[/QUOTE]

So the article is saying that intraworkout BCAA's is a bad idea? Do you have a link to that article?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Currently 2 bananas and 52 grams Bodyfortress whey (I'm short on $$$ :( ) in water chasing down a multi-vitimin, 50mgs DHEA, and a cap of Restore.

Pimp C

Awards
Well, ive been doing the IF(intermittent fasting) diet the last 2 months. So i dont eat all day for 16hrs, then workout on a fasted stomach, then for my PWO meal, I eat most of my calories for that day from 7pm till midnight, then go to sleep. I then fast again from midnight till 5 or 6pm the next day. I like it.

daily schedule:
midnight - 6pm = no food

repeat
that looks like the sumo diet. starve yourself all day. eat one big meal and go to bed. that's how they get so fat. the body upregulates enzymes to store fat since your body is in starvation mode all day. this is how the average american eats.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
So you're dosing AP twice in about a 3 hour window? Are you noticing any benefits from the close dosing?
Yea 2 AP separated by about 3.5 hours or so depending on type of day at the gym. It worked splendidly for me. I probably could have easily gotten away with just the pre-workout dose than the other two during the day but I never really thought of changing it. Now that I have p-slin though I won't be dosing the same way in the future.

So the article is saying that intraworkout BCAA's is a bad idea? Do you have a link to that article?

Yea I'll see if I can dig it up.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
directly after workout:
2 scoups xtend
2 table spoons kwick carb
1.5 grams creatine mono​

I have a scoup of isopure about 20 minutes later and then I usually eat dinner about an hour after the shake.

packers1200

packers1200

Awards
pretty much just a protein shake. 50g protein with frozen strawberries and some coconut.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

daily schedule:
midnight - 6pm = no food

repeat
lol, this goes against all that I believe in:rasp:

what is the goal of such a diet?

and yes, this does sound like the all American routine:cheers:

freakabe

Awards
based on ingredients, I find that GOLDEN FINISH has one of the best blend of post workout nutrition.

does anybody agree with me??

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
that looks like the sumo diet. starve yourself all day. eat one big meal and go to bed. that's how they get so fat. the body upregulates enzymes to store fat since your body is in starvation mode all day. this is how the average american eats.
you sir could never be so wrong. obviously you have alot to learn about how the body breaks down proteins after you have eaten them. For instance, you dont have to eat protein every 3 hours like everyone thinks (although there is nothing wrong with it, you dont have to). After you eat a steak for instance, your body is still utilizing the amino acids 13 hours later. So , basically, you wont go into that horrid word called CATABOLISM well up into 40hrs of fasting.

Yes the average american eats like crap too. Are they eating 2000 calories of clean protein and veggies after they have finished a fullbody workout? I think not. Please dont group the "average" american in with someone who knows a little about diet and nutrition and also works out. The average american doesnt do that.

TheAnimalG

TheAnimalG

Awards
Two scoops whey mixed with two servings of powdered gatorade or powdered powerade. (preferrably powerade)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
based on ingredients, I find that GOLDEN FINISH has one of the best blend of post workout nutrition.

does anybody agree with me??
its definitely a solid formulation, no doubt about it

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
lol, this goes against all that I believe in:rasp:

what is the goal of such a diet?

and yes, this does sound like the all American routine:cheers:
Just a few quotes on the IF diet. Trust me, i was very skeptical at first, but my fasted workouts are really really good, and I have recomped without worrying about the dogma of 6 meals a day...every 3 hours bulljunk. If you havent tried it, dont disregard it....Here are a few questions/answers that obviously pop in your head when you think of not eating for 16hrs...

Of course people are going to be starving all day when they eat tiny as portions spread out. Your giving your body signals that it's time to "rest and digest", but not actually giving it enough food to do anything. It's like waiting until someone just starts to fall asleep and then kicking them.

Hunger is a conditioned response to years of eating at the same time. You stomach growls because it's noon, not because you're hungry. Wait half an hour, suck it up and deal with it. Once your body realizes there's no food the sympathetic nervous system kicks on full blast. Boom, no more hunger, huge burst of energy.

Once people realize the fat burning/exercise system(sympathetic) is opposed by the rest and digest system(parasympathetic) they see how much more sense it makes.

You wouldn't eat at a buffet then go run a marathon, so why would you eat if you wanted to burn fat.

In my opinion, the only thing eating small evenly spaced meals does is train your body to be smaller and function on less food.

Nothing better than rolling out of bed and just going to work. No packing meals, no pre-cooking, no worrying about ****. The best is the freedom from being a slave to the mindset of "OGZERS, it's been 3 hours and 6 minutes since my last meal, teh biceptz are going catabawlick!!!!"

Also, I technically don't consider sleeping as counting towards fasting time. Even though you're not eating, the parasympathetic nervous system is still dominant, as you're busy digesting all the food you just ate.

However, my personal opinion is that one of the greatest benefits lies in psychological and mental factors relating to being able to eat large and satisfying meals when dieting and not having to endure the hassle of 5-6 small meals a day. Besides that, there's also the mental clarity and improved cognitive performance which comes during the fast; making it ideal for some people who might benefit from increased productivity during the day.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
yellowgold 15min after then 20mins later, musclemilk, 6 wholegrain pancakes

tattoopierced1

70g powdered gatorade, 5g creatine mono

20 minutes later, 50g whey protein

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
70g powdered gatorade, 5g creatine mono

20 minutes later, 50g whey protein
very simple...i like

I have been pretty simple too in the past...

2 scoops whey
water
banana or 1/2C oats in the blender...maybe a few strawberries/blueberries

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Just a few quotes on the IF diet. Trust me, i was very skeptical at first, but my fasted workouts are really really good, and I have recomped without worrying about the dogma of 6 meals a day...every 3 hours bulljunk. If you havent tried it, dont disregard it....Here are a few questions/answers that obviously pop in your head when you think of not eating for 16hrs...

Of course people are going to be starving all day when they eat tiny as portions spread out. Your giving your body signals that it's time to "rest and digest", but not actually giving it enough food to do anything. It's like waiting until someone just starts to fall asleep and then kicking them.

Hunger is a conditioned response to years of eating at the same time. You stomach growls because it's noon, not because you're hungry. Wait half an hour, suck it up and deal with it. Once your body realizes there's no food the sympathetic nervous system kicks on full blast. Boom, no more hunger, huge burst of energy.

Once people realize the fat burning/exercise system(sympathetic) is opposed by the rest and digest system(parasympathetic) they see how much more sense it makes.

You wouldn't eat at a buffet then go run a marathon, so why would you eat if you wanted to burn fat.

In my opinion, the only thing eating small evenly spaced meals does is train your body to be smaller and function on less food.

Nothing better than rolling out of bed and just going to work. No packing meals, no pre-cooking, no worrying about ****. The best is the freedom from being a slave to the mindset of "OGZERS, it's been 3 hours and 6 minutes since my last meal, teh biceptz are going catabawlick!!!!"

Also, I technically don't consider sleeping as counting towards fasting time. Even though you're not eating, the parasympathetic nervous system is still dominant, as you're busy digesting all the food you just ate.

However, my personal opinion is that one of the greatest benefits lies in psychological and mental factors relating to being able to eat large and satisfying meals when dieting and not having to endure the hassle of 5-6 small meals a day. Besides that, there's also the mental clarity and improved cognitive performance which comes during the fast; making it ideal for some people who might benefit from increased productivity during the day.
I'd just say settle with what has been proven to work for your own body...my 8 meals a day work perfect for me and its very easy to get 8 seeing as I have 2 people, also myself that cook meals...regardless of whether someone does not believe your method works that makes it ok to say 6 a day is bullsh**??? I could say your method is trash but I shouldn't because its person specific-so I could not give an educated guess...I've heard that yours might work but not for me, never had much trouble with recomp

Last edited:
ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
Usually 2 heaping scoops of ISS whey protein (~45-55g protein) immediately (10-15mins of semi-intense to intense cardio after lifting, then drink it). Cinnamon Oatmeal, mmmmmm.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I'd just say settle with what has been proven to work for your own body...my 8 meals a day work perfect for me and its very easy to get 8 seeing as I have 2 people, also myself that cook meals...regardless of whether someone does not believe your method works that makes it ok to say 6 a day is bullsh**??? I could say your method is trash but I shouldn't because its person specific-so I could not give an educated guess...I've heard that yours might.
I really didnt mean or try to say it is bull****....just trying to state the dogma of what everyone seems to think. Some people, like me, have used the 6 meals a day thing....ive also used 1 meal a day...both work and both have their advantages/disadvantages....for me....life is much much much easier preparing and eating 1-2 meals a day to get my macros in....IMO..

thanks
msucurt

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
15-20g whey hydrolysate
30-40g of WMS or Dextrose
5g creatine mono
5-10g BCAAs
2.5g Beta alanine
2g taurine

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Immediately post workout: Snickers bar and a vegetarian.

Just kidding. :p :lol:

For the past 3 months:

70g WMS
1 scoop Nectar (24g pro)
10g Taurine

About an hour later, 2 scoops Nectar. (What can I say...i like the nectar flavors.) :D

pretty much just a protein shake. 50g protein with frozen strawberries and some coconut.

All you are doing is replenishing liver glycogen with a fructose based drink. I'm all for using frutose to replenish liver glycgoen(does it well) but add some other carbohydrates to replenish muscle glycogen.

Just looking out!

Speed321

Awards
All you are doing is replenishing liver glycogen with a fructose based drink. I'm all for using frutose to replenish liver glycgoen(does it well) but add some other carbohydrates to replenish muscle glycogen.

Just looking out!
does that statement apply to lactose for milk also and if consuming yg does that change anything?

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure I agree with the hunger part. If I get really hungry and don't eat right away, as time passes, I get more hungry and lose energy and might even get jittery.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I really didnt mean or try to say it is bull****....just trying to state the dogma of what everyone seems to think. Some people, like me, have used the 6 meals a day thing....ive also used 1 meal a day...both work and both have their advantages/disadvantages....for me....life is much much much easier preparing and eating 1-2 meals a day to get my macros in....IMO..

thanks
msucurt
As I stated before, it goes against everything I believe in...I like that though! That’s why we're all here; to share and to learn. It’s good to get a fresh idea about what has worked for someone else.

The body is such a weird machine...who's to say what is right?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
there are some studies that show that timing or quanitity of meals makes less difference after the first few weeks than consistency of those meals. keeping the caloric content and time of eating the meal constant had a larger effect.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
1 scoop of Gatorade with 2 ICE scoops.

30 minutes after that I get 8 oz. chicken breast, 2 cups salad, and 2 cups of brown rice.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
10 g micronized creatine monohydrate
50g dextrose
2 scoops Optimum Gold WPI
1 banana

chicken, brown rice and veggies a half hour later.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I've been using Anabolic Window since I picked some up reasonably cheap. For immediate post workout, I beleive the studies showed that taking in 20g of simple carbs with 10g of protein was enough to meet the immediate needs, then your post workout meal within an hour is all you need
Based on the ratio of 2:1 (carbos:protein) that is used to replenish damage caused by extended aerobic sessions, this would be a good idea to maintain muscle and fuel glycogen stores during/after some competitive athletic events. This 2:1 ratio ideal has brought much success for the acclaimed 'Endurox' and 'Accelerade' products. I know many that use this during long races, especially rowing.

As far as mass retention (anabolic/anti-catabolic properties), it is NOT necessary for simple carbs after a workout. The carbs that you've been consuming throughout the week, the day, etc. should be complex carbs that will indeed guarantee there is no excessive glycogen depletion. A fast absorbing protein is reccommended immediately following an intense resistance training session. We don't need some 'super-carb' crap to magically shuttle the aminos to the muscle. It's a good suggestion for ectomorphs who are trying desperately to gain size, but as for most people you will end up just getting bloated and 'cosmetically' pumped.

As far as I go... I drink about 45 grams of Oryx Goat Whey (predigested pretty much) with water and I may eat a couple slices of Ezekiel cinn-raisin bread with it, or eat a wholesome meal about 45 minutes to an hour later.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
1 P-slin, the remainder of my Xtend, 60g's wpi and 76g's WMS

rcaz01

Awards

daily schedule:
midnight - 6pm = no food

repeat
I had been experimenting with this recently as well. I was very skeptical and thought I would feel like crap after eating 6 times a day for years. I was very suprised that I actually felt very good. Just to be clear there is always the options of adding in 1-2 small protein shakes during the fast as well. There are a lot of variations.

My take is that this is a great approach to maintenance since you can lose some BF very slowly and maintain LBM.

I don't want to get to far off topic, just my 2 cents on your comments.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established

thanks
msucurt
Yeah, I got ya on that one....no problem.

I wish I were 17 again, and knew what i know now...ohhh boy.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Right now since I'm cutting I just do 2 scoops of ON's whey in milk.

When I'm bulking it's
2 scoop ON whey
2 scoop WMS
10g Creatine
2 tbs PB
Milk

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally my favorite is just popping a AP and hitting a real meal as soon as i am home from the gym. Chicken, tuna, or turkey and either oats, rice, or potatoes are what this usually is made up of.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Right now since I'm cutting I just do 2 scoops of ON's whey in milk.

When I'm bulking it's
2 scoop ON whey
2 scoop WMS
10g Creatine
2 tbs PB
Milk
I may not be positive on this, although I think I am... But isn't the waxy-maize starch supposed to be consumed on an empty stomach void of other macronutrients? (this is exluding free aminos or BCAAs). The absorption factor of WMS would be hindered with a whey concentrate/isolate blend, pretty severly hampered with peanut butter, and to top it off with milk would definitely be asking for a whopping case of the GI grumble effect and some serious craps.