How Much Maximum Body Fat (BF) Could You Lose?

How Much Maximum Body Fat Percent (BF%) Could You Lose Within One Month?

• Less Than 1%

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Between 1% and 2%

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Over 2%

Votes: 75 73.5%

• Total voters
strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What was the record amount of body fat (BF%) you could lose within one month? And how did you achieve the result?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
brutally ridiculous low calories while maintaining high protein, and still having regular workouts + cardio

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This one I can vote more honestly. I size up if I breath too much, it's the losing that I constantly struggle with.

UofIlifting11

Awards
look at some of the logs using the velocity diet. People normally lose 15ish pounds in a month.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh and no supplements either...how does that make you feel? :rofl:
Like trying out for NBC's next season of Biggest Loser

but I can deadlift 500lbs+ weighing at 197lbs, so I'm not all bad.

gym88

Awards
currently been cutting for 2 weeks and lost about 2%. I would love to try the velocity diet its just so expensive for the biotest metabolic drive low carb and metabolic drive complete to get it in the uk. its adds up to something like $60.00 for a tub and then delivery on top of that

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
currently been cutting for 2 weeks and lost about 2%. I would love to try the velocity diet its just so expensive for the biotest metabolic drive low carb and metabolic drive complete to get it in the uk. its adds up to something like $60.00 for a tub and then delivery on top of that
I hear you, bud! It can be challenging to get certain supplements outside the USA at a decent expense. I live in Germany and it is even tougher than in the UK. Does not help you, I know, but life can be raw sometimes! Wish you tonnes of luck and success at it! :thumbsup:

gym88

Awards
I hear you, bud! It can be challenging to get certain supplements outside the USA at a decent expense. I live in Germany and it is even tougher than in the UK. Does not help you, I know, but life can be raw sometimes! Wish you tonnes of luck and success at it
one day i hope to move to the usa just for the prices lol, thanks for the ecouragment mate

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
depends where you are starting from -

someone who is 30%+ bf should easily be able to lose more than 2%bf in a month.

but someone who is 9% bf would struggle to lose 1% in a month.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Absolutely true!

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
one day i hope to move to the usa just for the prices lol, thanks for the ecouragment mate
May not be a bad move. The lead time alone between ordering and delivery, ignoring hassles at Customs, may be worth relocating to the USA :D. Not to mention the emotional stress involved in mentally tracking the parcel through Customs!!!

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

gym88

Awards
May not be a bad move. The lead time alone between ordering and delivery, ignoring hassles at Customs, may be worth relocating to the USA . Not to mention the emotional stress involved in mentally tracking the parcel through Customs!!!
would love to, the supplements are cheaper, gym prices cheaper.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
reduced calories, fasted cardio in the morning and evening lifting

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have personally gone from around 18% to 6% in 14 weeks. I have seen my partner go from 12% to 4% in around 12 weeks. So In know that it's over 2%. My partner could have gone down faster but both of us were trying to spare muscle for contest. Incidently there was no supplement use for weight loss by either one of us. God knows what's possible with supplementation.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have personally gone from around 18% to 6% in 14 weeks. I have seen my partner go from 12% to 4% in around 12 weeks...
That sounds dramatic, right? Usually when you leave the double-digit BF% zone, further cuts get more and more difficult. How did you achieve those results?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That sounds dramatic, right? Usually when you leave the double-digit BF% zone, further cuts get more and more difficult. How did you achieve those results?
Lipo suction :stick:

That's true, once you hit the single digit BF zone, 1% at a time seems to be the trend. That would be quit a feat. You'd have to measure all your meals with scales and rulers.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just perfect diet and a lot of cardio on my part. My partner did absolutely no cardio. He is an endo. This is not uncommon for contest dieting I am surprised you find it so astounding.

I didn't really find it that much harder once I dropped below 10%. My partner has no problem at all but he is an inferno. Incidently he came 3rd in his class at the Natural world championships. Should have gotten 2nd but you know how that goes.

One thing that most of you know is you dont' dramatically drop your calories you eat very high protein. Almost all my carbs were from fibrous sources. I started my cut at 2700 cals finished at around 2400-2500. I was never hungry as I was always eating vegtables, grazing if you will. Cutting that fast I lost quite a bit of muscle. My partner not very much muscle loss really cutting is just easy for him.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just perfect diet and a lot of cardio on my part. My partner did absolutely no cardio. He is an endo. This is not uncommon for contest dieting I am surprised you find it so astounding.

I didn't really find it that much harder once I dropped below 10%. My partner has no problem at all but he is an inferno. Incidently he came 3rd in his class at the Natural world championships. Should have gotten 2nd but you know how that goes.

One thing that most of you know is you dont' dramatically drop your calories you eat very high protein. Almost all my carbs were from fibrous sources. I started my cut at 2700 cals finished at around 2400-2500. I was never hungry as I was always eating vegtables, grazing if you will. Cutting that fast I lost quite a bit of muscle. My partner not very much muscle loss really cutting is just easy for him.
I believe we were measuring the possibilities of such BF decrease by the standards of the non-competitor lifestyle, but for competition purposes, it makes sense. Kudos

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh yah, precontest diets are brutal, takes all the enjoyment out of life. Something about being half naked in front of a thousand people tends to motivate though. You won't see my doing it now, I know how but want to enjoy my life too.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Lost about 6-7% on DNP 400mg/day + Var + A metric ton of varied antioxidants, 2 gals of water daily, and (of course) about 1700 cals a day. Don't do it...

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lost about 6-7% on DNP 400mg/day + Var + A metric ton of varied antioxidants, 2 gals of water daily, and (of course) about 1700 cals a day. Don't do it...
Have to agree. Sounds somewhat hazardous! :D

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
yes, I agree that it has a TON to do with your baseline! the leaner you are the more difficult the task of dropping your BF %.

In one year I went from over 30% to around 10% without any supps (except I was taking protien)...just nutrition and training. was easy at first and became more and more difficult the lower I got.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
In one year I went from over 30% to around 10% without any supps (except I was taking protien)...just nutrition and training....
That is quite a significant achievement. Most people will be satisfied with 10% BF and just concentrate on staying there. Good job!

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That is quite a significant achievement. Most people will be satisfied with 10% BF and just concentrate on staying there. Good job!
Thanks Strategic! you should check out my progress pics on my profile...been quite the work in progress!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes, I agree that it has a TON to do with your baseline! the leaner you are the more difficult the task of dropping your BF %.

In one year I went from over 30% to around 10% without any supps (except I was taking protien)...just nutrition and training. was easy at first and became more and more difficult the lower I got.
30 to 10!!! Wow, you went from bonified, borderline obesity to a beach body. That's awesome.

My biggest accomplishment was going from 225lbs down to 168lbs in around 6-8 months, running, literally up to 25 miles a week. Needless to say I went from large mammal to simply a skinny guy, but wow, 30 to 10, good job man!

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
30 to 10!!! Wow, you went from bonified, borderline obesity to a beach body. That's awesome.

My biggest accomplishment was going from 225lbs down to 168lbs in around 6-8 months, running, literally up to 25 miles a week. Needless to say I went from large mammal to simply a skinny guy, but wow, 30 to 10, good job man!
Volcom, that's awesome!

shoot, that's basically what I did! I went from 230 to 164 (I'm only 5'10")...got to the point where I was doing cardio multiple times a day for 30 to 40 minutes each time...probably close to 45 miles a week, plus a ton of weight training!

been bulking for a while now and I'm up to about 190 at 14%. my ultimate goal is 185 @ 8% (need to swap about 10 pounds of fat for 10 pounds of muscle and I'm golden)...then I just need to figure out how to maintain:-D

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volcom, that's awesome!

shoot, that's basically what I did! I went from 230 to 164 (I'm only 5'10")...got to the point where I was doing cardio multiple times a day for 30 to 40 minutes each time...probably close to 45 miles a week, plus a ton of weight training!

been bulking for a while now and I'm up to about 190 at 14%. my ultimate goal is 185 @ 8% (need to swap about 10 pounds of fat for 10 pounds of muscle and I'm golden)...then I just need to figure out how to maintain:-D
Thats what I was doing also. I was running 8.8 miles/ 4 times a week and two, 9-10 mile sessions on the weekends. I had people drop me off at work and the only way I could get home is if I jogged, so it forced me to do it. I started off with walking home 8.8 miles with a backpack full of books, then after about 3 months, I told myself I could run this route and that was that. However, I did lose a ton, I mean a ton of strength. But that was years ago.

185lbs@8% is a clean look. I'm looking for 200-205lbs at 12% for me. I was 197lbs last summer, and I made my way up to 230lbs but Feb '08. Now I'm cutting down again, currently around 223-225lbs. I can hang on to my strength no prob, and as long as I diet right, and not become a cardio nazi which I tend to do the leaner I get, I should be able to hang on to the muscle. Good luck and keep it up.

rcaz01

Awards

I agree! I always seem to lose muscle along with fat once I get to about 12%. I can stay at 12% to 13% with out too much effort and still eat crap with my kids on the weekends. I do Krav and MMA training so I have plenty of high intensity type of workouts. The last couple of times I have tried to get below 10% I ended up getting sick and losing 5-10 lbs of muscle which is a complete PITA.

My answer to the question would be 1% - 2% in a month if I don't want to lose any muscle and maintain all of my strength. I think the best approach is not to focus on how fast but to just try and have steady BF loss while maintaining muscle. It just takes me too long to put the muscle on as I get older.

Now if I lived in Europe like some of the others I would not be too worried about the supps. When most of you can get things like Var it should be easy to have solid BF reduction. I have not done this but from others I have read or talked to Var paired with diet seems to make becoming very lean a much more simple process.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes recomping is a fairly new idea (to me anyway). It is better to lose slow and preserve muscle. As long as you don't have a deadline. From a competition standpoint you need to bulk at and maintain at where your more efficient and then cut from there. These cuts are deadline based so you're sort of stuck. Now that I don't compete anymore and I'm an endo I just stay in constant recomp. It's much more enjoyable to keep your strenghth while you lose.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Strategic! you should check out my progress pics on my profile...been quite the work in progress!
Good job, Sir! Keep it up! :thumbsup:

packers1200

packers1200

Awards
i could lose up to 5 per week if i tried. i had an injury recently and got all fat

maradona10

Awards
I have personally gone from around 18% to 6% in 14 weeks. I have seen my partner go from 12% to 4% in around 12 weeks. So In know that it's over 2%. My partner could have gone down faster but both of us were trying to spare muscle for contest. Incidently there was no supplement use for weight loss by either one of us. God knows what's possible with supplementation.
I agree, I competed back in 1998 and I dropped from 14% to 5.5% in 12 weeks.

It is VERY VERY Hard to do and your is constantly wanting carbs..(which of course you can't have).

My only carb meal for the day was 40grms of oats in the morning mixed with protein powder in water.

For the rest of the day..all protein and essential fats.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

maradona10

Awards
you get to the point where you feel like killing someone.

my parents when overseas on week 1 and when they got back around week10, they walked past me at the airport and didn't recognize me!!

on the positive side, i came third in my class, so i got my trophy!!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was allowed a yam around mid day and a tiny bit of rice around supper. The rice went away towards the end, I ate a ton of fibrous carbs though. Yes I craved too, and it is an emotional roller coaster. I came in second, was disapointed as everyone I knew had me in first by a long shot. Politics made me decide to hang it up. Too much work to be treated like that in the end.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
:( i was 30ish bf% and went down to 20 in like 4-5 months then hit a plateau on my lifts but weight slowly went off i had a break and am back into it the breaks good im hoping ill be able to bust that plateau as i didnt put weight on piggin out lawl
i just wish i could lose 1percent a week or so
going from 30 to 20 in 5 months is a great accomplishment! And yes, it always gets harder the lower you go. you don't always need to take a break when you plateau, sometimes all you have to do is switch up your diet and workout routines.

When I got stuck and couldn't drop any more weight I started to split my cardio into two sessions; one in the morning and one post workout...that did wonders!

also, have you ever considered using any form of punctuation? I had the hardest time trying to follow what you were saying in your post.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is possible to lose great amounts in short periods. Like I said before it depends on how bad you want it.

Even though it is harder to lose when you got lower it is still possible to lose a almost the same rate. The trick is not to start at too low a calorie intake so you can drop it slightly as time goes on. This is the biggest problem people run into. I got down and I am an endo. I lost at pretty much the same rate all the way through (except for the very beginning). I also had to increase my cardio gradually. At the end I was doing about 6 hours a week.

I just don't think that we should look at it as something we cannot overcome when it's really a lack of knowledge that is the main cause.

Another very successfull method I used it calorie cycling. I had low, med and high calorie days I just ran them in 3 day intervals. Was a very good diet really. It seemed to trick the body into remaining at a higher metabolic rate. I actually seemed to accelerate fat loss in some of the latter stages.

rcaz01

Awards
I have never tried to cycle calories the way you described but this looks like a good approach. I would think this would work well in the same way that intemittent fasting works which I have tried. I actually found the IM approach easier than the standrd BB diet routine of cutting carbs more and more and then doing a carb up every 3-4 days. I can see much more freedom in cycling calories at least mentally it seems it would be easier.

Any particular diet you used? How much of a surplus/deficit did you target over what time period?

Thanks for any insight you can share!