Question on CoQ10 dosage

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Hey just placed an order and purchased NOWS high potency 600 mg CoQ10. Is this dosage too high?? I have read most people take around 50 mg, this was however after i made my purchase.

BigNemo

BigNemo

Awards
  • Established
I take 100 mg pre workout and 50mg on non workout days.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
i usually only take 100mg/ED. 600mg is very high.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
sounds like it costs a fortune!!!

600mg sounds extremely high, i dont know why anyone would need so much esp in one dose....sounds odd.

Kalloco

Awards
Q-10 ... ubiquinone form ... is lipophilic ... most of it is polymerized by stomach acid unless it is protected somehow.
0% to 3% absorption for straight Q-10 is reported.
I assume that the NOW product must be straight Q-10, for how else would they jam that much into a single capsule?

What I do with straight Q-10 capsules is open them up and mix into a spoon of MCT rich extra virgin coconut oil. After i have it completely mixed, I simply slurp it down.
You'd get better results by mixing the MCT with Lecithin and rice bran oil together ... then add the Q-10.
Since you have such a large supply, you could mix it up in advance and store in the refrigerator. I'd re-encapsulate them. Now, if you want a shelf stable product, please mix in some Mixed Tocotrienols or at least mixed tocopherols (regular E). Do not use esterified tocopherol ("acetate") as it does not offer any antioxidant protection.
You could also add ascorbyl palmitate as a fat soluble antioxidant (fat soluble vitamin C)

If these 600mg caps are plain Q-10 ... you'd need that much to get much therapeutic benefit in that form.

In the future ... I'd recommend a 30mg Ubiquinol ... called QH ... an extra hydroxyl group (OH-) makes this metabolite 320% more effective than the best quality "all trans" ubiquinone manufactured by the world's leader in Q-10- Kaneka Corp.

If you have any questions ... you are always welcome to write me direct. best regards, JD Kalloco kalloco at g mail dot com
... but please put an eye catchin' alert in the subject.

best regards,

JDKalloco

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
600mg/60 Softgels
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Softgel
Servings Per Container60

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 10
Calories From Fat 5
Total Fat 0.5g <1%*
Trans Fat 0g †
Total Carbohydrate <1g <1%*
Vitamin E (As D-Alpha Tocopherol) 30IU 100%
Zinc (From Zinc Oxide) 4mg 27%

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) 600mg †
Soy Lecithin 50mg †

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
† Daily Value not established

Other Ingredients
Rice Bran Oil, Softgel Capsule (Gelatin, Glycerin, Water, Annatto Extract, Zinc Oxide), And Beeswax.

Contains No Sugar, Salt, Starch, Yeast, Wheat, Gluten, Corn, Milk, Egg, Shellfish Or Preservatives.

NOW® CoQ10 Is Pharmaceutical Grade (USP). NOW CoQ10 Products Contain Only The 100% Natural, All-Trans Form Of CoQ10 Produced By Fermentation.

Contains No Titanium Dioxide. Separation And Color Variation In The Softgel May Occur. This Is Natural And Doesn't Affect The Product Quality.

Directions: As a dietary supplement,

It cost 59.99 for 60, 600mg softgel caps

Kalloco

Awards
NOW® has made some progress! I can recall a 400mg plain Q-10 capsule ... it retailed for well over $100 several years ago.
The prices of Q-10 have dropped rather drastically with the opening of Kaneka's new plant near Pasadena, Texas.
The information you posted does not indicate whether they're using Kaneka brand, or not. Manufacturers are generally proud to display the Kaneka name.
Hmmm.
At least it is produced by "fermentation" and "all trans". The cheap product out there is mfr'd using tobacco as a starting material ... instead of a yeast fermentation.

600mg dosage would be better suited to someone with Chronic Fatigue or Fibromyalgia ... or mitral valve prolapse ... gum problems ... congestive heart failure or anyone who has consumed any "Statin" Rx drugs ... or Neuromuscular degeneration conditions like Parkinson's, ALS.

At that price ... it's a relative steal ... but I'm a bit suspicious in regards to the raw material supplier. The price indicates a raw material price that is extremely low. NOW® brand has improved their products over the years though. Now ... if they'd just jettison those ugly labels.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Kallaco you definatly know your stuff! Is there any possible sides to someone perfectly healthy taking in this much CoQ10? Im all for preventative medicine and supplementation but i also do not want to harm myself by injesting to much of a good thing.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kallaco you definatly know your stuff! Is there any possible sides to someone perfectly healthy taking in this much CoQ10? Im all for preventative medicine and supplementation but i also do not want to harm myself by injesting to much of a good thing.
Kallaco is right. CoQ10 is especially difficult to absorb. The best quality is Kaneka, a Japanese company that leads worldwide ubiquinone and ubiquinol research. Prefer ubiquinol whenever possible. To improve ubiquinone (standard CoQ10) availability, some Kaneka brands even include D-Limonene, a natural compound found in orange peels that helps break down the CoQ10 particles for better absorption.

You will not harm yourself by any chance with 600mg of conventional CoQ10. As a matter of fact, some people dose ubiquinol, the more advanced CoQ10 in two divided doses of 150mg daily (=300mg) to get serum CoQ10 concentrations equivalent to about 2400mg of ubiquinone. At such doses, over a period of a few months, profound anti-aging benefits are documented. Some people have even reported reversed graying of their hair and similar observations.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
Hey just placed an order and purchased NOWS high potency 600 mg CoQ10. Is this dosage too high?? I have read most people take around 50 mg, this was however after i made my purchase.
shee ut!

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lower is better because you can always take more caps. Higher you can't lower the dosage. Make sure its in a gel cap. That is what the study s were done on the gel version not the powder version for absorption.

xtgear

xtgear

Awards
and what do you guys think of idebenone?
studies say its better than coq10

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Natural is always better than synthetic.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Strategic, SO what dose of NOW CoQ10 would be needed to get the profound anti aging benifits... I have several gray hairs I wouldnt mind losing

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
and what do you guys think of idebenone?
studies say its better than coq10
The recommendation by many researchers is to add Idebenone to a CoQ10 supplementation program to get the very best of both compounds.

As is well known, Idebenone, as an analog of CoQ10, can replace CoQ10 in the process of cellular energy production. Idebenone is also, like CoQ10, a powerful antioxidant. However, Idebenone is more water-soluble than CoQ10 and its cellular distribution and antioxidant structure also differ from those of CoQ10, making idebenone superior to CoQ10 in neutralizing some types of free free radicals, but inferior in fighting other types. In particular, idebnone is more effective than CoQ10 in protecting cells from the free radical damage resulting from reduced (abnormal) blood flow. In fact, some studies indicate idebenone is 30-100 times more effective than vitamin E or vinpocetine as a free radical quencher.
Furthermore, Idebenone protects under hypoxic conditions, a situation where CoQ10 may not be an adequate replacement. In addition, Idebenone (unlike CoQ10) has been shown to increase Nerve Growth Factor and enhance cholinergic activity, thus conferring Idebenone with cognitive enhancement abilities.
To continue, Idebenone is a potent anti-oxidant for protecting the very important mitochondria, by both surpressing free radical activity and protecting the unique mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). This is unique as mtDNA is only derived from our mother's genes.
Finally, when organs are "harvested" for transplant to another patient, it is often the case that Idebenone is used to protect it from damage.

It must be noted that most of the comparison between Idebenone and CoQ10 employed the standard Ubiquinone form of CoQ10, not Ubiquinol.

Most researchers suggest that a combined ingestion of both is superior to one regime only.

Considering that the daily recommendation for Idebenone lies between 45mg and 90mg for antioxidant and anti-aging benefits, I find Anabolic Innovations' Life Support and Cycle Support, both with 100mg Idebenone per day, excellent products for Idebenone supplementation. Not to mention some other co-factors in the products.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strategic, SO what dose of NOW CoQ10 would be needed to get the profound anti aging benifits... I have several gray hairs I wouldnt mind losing
It is hard to tell, as ubiquinol was used as benchmark. As you know, the key difference between ubiquinone and ubiquinol is that, for the ubiquinone form of CoQ10 to be properly absorbed and utilized by the body, the body must first reduce it to its active metabolite known as ubiquinol. Although researchers have established that most ubiquinone is naturally reduced to ubiquinol, the optimal approach to CoQ10 supplementation remains to consume it in its ready-to-use ubiquinol form. This form is more bioavailable, appears faster in cells, and maintains a longer half-life at the serum (plasma) level.

Having said that, I can only mention that for normal maintenance purposes, 50mg - 150mg Ubiquinol per day is recommended. To replicate the anti-senescence, anti-aging effects seen in clinical trials, a daily (divided) dose of 150mg - 300mg is recommended. For perspective, 150mg of Ubiquinol is equivalent to about 1,200mg of conventional ubiquinone in terms of potency!

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
On a side note, I took one 600mg pill yesterday with fishoil and I have taken 2 today. Today my energy has been insane and my mood is great I am thinking alot clearer also. I am hoping this is not a placebo effect.

TheNoid

TheNoid

Awards
In terms of muscle performance I can think of one study that showed positive effects at 200mg/day of CoQ10.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am quoting this from a book I read "It is important to add that CoQ10 in high doses may be harmful. In one study, supplementation with 120 milligrams daily for 20 days resulted in muscle tissue damage, possibly because of increased oxidation.". I wouldn't use more than 50mg a day...

TheNoid

TheNoid

Awards
I am quoting this from a book I read "It is important to add that CoQ10 in high doses may be harmful. In one study, supplementation with 120 milligrams daily for 20 days resulted in muscle tissue damage, possibly because of increased oxidation.". I wouldn't use more than 50mg a day...
Thats the complete opposite of what I have seen....

What book?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have seen studies done easily with 100mg and more.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
I may have to take 1, 600mg pill every other day. The first 2 days I felt great and this morning I woke up and took the 600mg with my fishoil and my stomach became very upset.. I was somewhat dizzy and didnt feel right. Right now im feeling better but im noticing some flushing in my pecs and Im very hot. I think at 27 years old 600mg of CoQ10 everyday may be overkill.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I may have to take 1, 600mg pill every other day. The first 2 days I felt great and this morning I woke up and took the 600mg with my fishoil and my stomach became very upset.. I was somewhat dizzy and didnt feel right. Right now im feeling better but im noticing some flushing in my pecs and Im very hot. I think at 27 years old 600mg of CoQ10 everyday may be overkill.
Do you take fish oil and CoQ10 on an empty stomach? I hope not!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
They need an oil base to work effectively. So, not only should they not be taken on an empty stomach, they should be taken with foods containing some amount of (healthy) fats.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
The dose I took yesterday was on a completly empty stomach, first thing in the morning. Im going to try to take the CoQ10 with my fattest meal of the day and hopefully that will get rid of the stomach upset and weird feeling.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
my coq10 are 100mg that come in little red gels.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The dose I took yesterday was on a completly empty stomach, first thing in the morning. Im going to try to take the CoQ10 with my fattest meal of the day and hopefully that will get rid of the stomach upset and weird feeling.
That should make a big difference.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
04/04/08 I have been taking 150mg a day of ubiquinol aday. What I have noticed in the week and a half is this.

My endurance is up bigtime

MY mood has been great

I am thinking alot clearer and having an easier time comprehending information.

My energy level has been through the roof the entire day!

Negatives
When I first started taking the ubiquinol My stomach was upset, however I find taking it with my largest meals negates that side

At night I have had a few nights where I was having a very difficult time falling asleep.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I'm about to start 100-200mg Ubiquinol a day. I'll let you guys know how it works. Has this been known to have any positive effects on blood pressure?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm about to start 100-200mg Ubiquinol a day. I'll let you guys know how it works. Has this been known to have any positive effects on blood pressure?
Yes, ubiquinol is known to stabilize blood pressure in healthy individuals, and to help lower blood pressure in individuals with high blood pressure. Note, though, that statin drugs reduce cellular coenzyme-Q10 levels.