Whey protein price jump.

Deccadick

Deccadick

Awards
Looks like Whey protein has made another huge price jump. Does anyone have any information on why this is happening? From what I have read whey was at one time a waste product, or thrown out. So, in my opinion the increase in milk and gas prices doesn't justify this. any thoughts??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Increased costs in fuel and demand. There is only so much land for agriculture to try to keep up with human reproduction. Not only milk, but also the corn that is used for feed is rising in price, partially due to an increased demand due to ethanol.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't call it demand due to ethanol as much as it is the government paying farmers a guarentee for the corn they grow, regardless of what it's used for. (Ever wonder why EVERYTHING has high fructose corn syrup in it?) Less of the farming is going to feed/dairy and as a result prices of whey/milk/beef goes up.

Oh yeah and it costs more to ship it cause of the price of oil being so ridiculously high.

Blah blah blah, government is ruining everything it touches that it has no business dealing with, blah blah blah

./end rant

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Is this all forms of protein or just whey? I'll switch no problem.
SilentBob your avatar makes me feel like I'm watching TBS.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering...what protein and what price?

I know I was getting Body Fortress at a local supermarket for $15.99. Then it went on sale for 2 weeks for 9.99 so I stocked up. :) Then it went off sale and the price was 19.99.

And now they don't carry it at all. Now they have Pure Protein for 20.99. :(

BTW I didn't know Pure Protein had a powder, I knew about the bars. Also, wouldn't you think a product called Pure Protein would be...uh....pure protein? The main source was whey concentrate and some isolate, you'd think it'd have an isolate and maybe hydrolysized (sp?) whey. It also has fructose :nono:

Time to find another protein source...

I wish NP carried the Iron Tek casein/whey I liked...

bigpoppapump2

bigpoppapump2

Awards
  • Established
The Body Fortress i buy used to be $11.97 and now its up to $13.99

stl123

stl123

Awards
  • Established
Looks like Whey protein has made another huge price jump. Does anyone have any information on why this is happening? From what I have read whey was at one time a waste product, or thrown out. So, in my opinion the increase in milk and gas prices doesn't justify this. any thoughts??
Greedy companies that know we will still buy it.:lol:

AABigRick

Awards
  • Established
yeah man, my EAS protein from sams club werenot from

6lbs 28 bucks
5 pounds 32 bucks......

lost a pound and the price went up

Jarconis

Jarconis

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
how bout you guys 1 weekend out of the month dont blow 14 bucks at taco cabana at 3 in the morning, and then tada!, dont have to worry about the price increase ;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how bout you guys 1 weekend out of the month dont blow 14 bucks at taco cabana at 3 in the morning, and then tada!, dont have to worry about the price increase ;)
Who told you what I did last night...

Hate4TheWeak

Hate4TheWeak

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Welcome to Corporate America boys, enjoy your stay lol.........
Where's robin hood at when you need him lol...

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
Milk prices rising to record highs
It's cheaper than oil and, barring a global mad cow crisis, we'll probably never run out of it. But milk has one thing in common with oil: It's trading at record highs.
Reasons include growing appetites for dairy foods in China and elsewhere in Asia, where chains such as McDonald's and Starbucks are introducing unfamiliar taste buds to cheeseburgers and lattes. Other factors are rising costs for animal feed, shrinking European production and long-standing drought in Australia and New Zealand, the world's largest milk-exporting region.

Paying more for milk is causing an uproar in Germany, where families consider providing children with an affordable glass of milk a fundamental right. It is also a concern for consumers in the United States and elsewhere in Europe.

Milk prices hit a record last month in the United States, where consumers paid an average $3.80 a gallon, compared to $3.29 in January, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. It forecasts prices will remain high throughout the year.

Prices are likely to remain high worldwide until dairy farmers add more cows or shift production to powders, which are more easily traded than the liquid stuff.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Welcome to Corporate America boys, enjoy your stay lol.........
Where's robin hood at when you need him lol...
Government interference in the free market != corporate america

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
It's the mandate of a HUGE increase in ethanol blending in motor gasoline that has driving prices up.
(Among other factors.)

Don't discount the amount of corn diverted to EtOH production instead of feed for cows.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
It can be rediculous when compared to the "old" prices of whey, which was seemingly just a year or two ago. I remember buying the 10lb ON bag-o-protein @ ~$60 shipped. Came out to something like a quarter per 25g protein or something like that. It's now rare to find a protein source where a serving is cheaper than a dollar.

Not to complain though, as it's all the more reason to increase whole food intake! Despite what science may say, I always feel better when I get my average protein from "real food". Oddly enough, I can just about afford to have a budget-priced steak from the grocery store rather than two scoops of protein. Now that, I can absolutely get used to! *roots for higher prices*

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Ethanol demand has also driven up the price of beer because farmers can make more money growing and selling corn, rather than hops. Ask someone who brews their own beer.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I'm def. not an expert on the situation... I only know what I pick up in bits and pieces. But, can someone explain how farmers get subsidies to NOT grow crops, yet all of these price increases are due to shortages and or alternate appropriations of crops? Primarily talking about corn.

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
i havent noticed a price jump within the last 2 weeks round here...im still getting a 2.5lb tub for $12 and a 5lb for $30

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
anyone ever take a business class in college or high school?
Demand = Price
More people using more demand.
Corn is used in ethanol, All the tree huggers see that as a new Gas.
Farmers make more money to grow corn for ethanol than cow food.
So corn for dairy farmers cost more. Crap runs down hill. Cost is transfered to the people who buy milk and milk products.
Get It?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I've got a hard on for condescending posts. :study:

anyone ever take a business class in college or high school?
Demand = Price
More people using more demand.
Corn is used in ethanol, All the tree huggers see that as a new Gas.
Farmers make more money to grow corn for ethanol than cow food.
So corn for dairy farmers cost more. Crap runs down hill. Cost is transfered to the people who buy milk and milk products.
Get It?

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I didn't mean to be condescending just Simple. Sorry I came across that way.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I didn't mean to be condescending just Simple. Sorry I came across that way.
Cool. Have any info/comments on the subsidy thing I mentioned above. I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant in this area (not a farmer and don't keep up on their business).

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Cool. Have any info/comments on the subsidy thing I mentioned above. I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant in this area (not a farmer and don't keep up on their business).

I think you worded your question as "why do farmers get subsidies for NOT growing crops" right? Bama's explanation addresses this.

It's not that they're getting money to grow something other than corn. In fact, they're dropping other crops in favor of growing MORE corn. It's just that they're selling it for the production of ethanol, rather than for feed. A shortage of feed means the feed that dairy farmers can get their hands on costs more and there you go. The cost gets passed on to us in various forms, like a gallon of milk, whey powder. Even beef costs more now than it did a year ago because of the feed costs.

The demand for ethanol is somewhat artificially inflated by both the subsidies and the federal government's misinformed promotion of ethanol as a suitable alternative fuel. Not only is it not better for the environment, but it actually costs us all more money in the long run. Thank you politicians!

And don't buy the B.S. that they're supporting low income people by saving farms. They've created a boon for corn famers, sure, but dairy farmers are getting killed because of increased costs.

Sorry, that was a really long answer to a short question.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
They get paid to not grow stuff because it would drop the price too low for anyone to make any money off of it. Like a glut in the market. Also they would only grow produce that makes them the most money. And then you would only have one veggie.
Another reason is they have to rotate their crops or the soil will become depleted of nutrients needs to grow that crop. Even with chemicals you have to rotate crops to put it back into the soil.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. But, maybe I didn't explain myself very well. I was under the assumption that the government gives (some) farmers subsidies for NOT growing ANYTHING... fields of dirt. I can't remember where I heard this, so it may be hogwash. That's my main concern. I understand all else that has been mentioned.

I think you worded your question as "why do farmers get subsidies for NOT growing crops" right? Bama's explanation addresses this.

It's not that they're getting money to grow something other than corn. In fact, they're dropping other crops in favor of growing MORE corn. It's just that they're selling it for the production of ethanol, rather than for feed. A shortage of feed means the feed that dairy farmers can get their hands on costs more and there you go. The cost gets passed on to us in various forms, like a gallon of milk, whey powder. Even beef costs more now than it did a year ago because of the feed costs.

The demand for ethanol is somewhat artificially inflated by both the subsidies and the federal government's misinformed promotion of ethanol as a suitable alternative fuel. Not only is it not better for the environment, but it actually costs us all more money in the long run. Thank you politicians!

And don't buy the B.S. that they're supporting low income people by saving farms. They've created a boon for corn famers, sure, but dairy farmers are getting killed because of increased costs.

Sorry, that was a really long answer to a short question.

Hate4TheWeak

Hate4TheWeak

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'll tell you why protein costs are up so high, it's cause Shakes is hogging it all up feeding it to his Fing back! Supply and demand. More people using whey=increase cost.

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
OK guys, you have been such help with my supplement questions. Hopefully, I can share a bit of my own expertise here :)

The rise in food prices within the United States is a result of serveral factors, and the extraordinary rise in food prices (75% increase in aggregate prices since 2005) in the United States this year is the reverse of the previous 30 years, food being so cheap that we become gluttonous. Now, here is why the prices are rising:

1. Agriculture inflation is based on long run changes in diet that accompany emerging markets. For example, Chinese consumers who ate 44lbs of meat in 1985 are now eating over 100lbs of meat per year. This causes an increase in demand for grain. It takes roughly 17lbs of grain to produce one lb of beef.

2. Rising prices are also self-inflicted as a result of ethanol subsidies; biofuels represent 1/3 of the corn harvest in 2007, which is a record high. This DIRECTLY effects the food market -- Fill up your SUV with ethanol and you just used enough corn to feed one person for a year. INDIRECTLY, this provides farmers with incentives to start producing corn over any other product. Farmers increase investment and production because of rising prices.

3. Even though the price of food is fundamentally determined by supply and demand, government also plays a role. Lets take the ethanol subsides for example. For one, the US is supporting a crappy version of ethanol, as a more efficient version can be imported from Brazil. But, of course, rich countries put up trade barriers to prevent competition from abroad. This leads to poorer countries enforcing price controls. Government intervention spreads like wild fire when it comes to intl trade.

4. Now, these higher prices provide a great chance for the US to reduce subsidies without hurting income for the farmers. Reducing rich country subsidies and trade barriers would help taxpayers too -- this could revive the dead-in-the-water Doha round of world trade talks, boost the world economy, which would directly help the world's poor by providing food at lower costs.

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
Increased costs in fuel and demand. There is only so much land for agriculture to try to keep up with human reproduction. Not only milk, but also the corn that is used for feed is rising in price, partially due to an increased demand due to ethanol.

BINGO not to mention it takes one acre to make one gallon of ethanol WHAT A WASTE, the process to make that one gallon puts more pollution in the air 100 fold than ethanol being of any benefit,

its just a joke

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
And ethanol gets 20% less miles per gallon than a gallon of mogas.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Let's not minimise the cost of diesel fuel: whey is shipped by truck from the processing plant (there's a really big one in the Dakotas), as is most food shipped by truck; and in case you haven't noticed, diesel prices are higher than gas prices, for the first time in my lifetime. This is a major factor in the rise of US consumer prices, and probably the single biggest factor increasing prices for whey protein supplements.

teribleturtle

Awards
Government interference in the free market != corporate america
Subsidies, tax breaks, lobbying, Corporate welfare at its finest! Providing financial/political assistence for those who already are rich and powerful, what a novel concept!

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
Subsidies, tax breaks, lobbying, Corporate welfare at its finest! Providing financial/political assistence for those who already are rich and powerful, what a novel concept!

Farmers are not rich and powerful. A subsidy is a result of the market prices for ag., which is a perfectly competitive market (no extra profit). However, now that prices are rising, a subsidy is not needed (see my first post).

As far as tax breaks go, you have to realize that there are multiplying effects within a capitalistic market place. If a multi-national is able to lower its corp. income tax, it can increase production and investment, which increases in the demand in a labor market, so it effects everyone down the chain and encourages business cooperation.

When it comes to lobbying, EVERYONE has a lobbyist: nonprofits like Red Cross, Easter Seals, etc. But yes, big business like Microsoft and Exxon-Mobile do too.

Lobbying is simply the active expression of a citizen's right to influence government. This right is fundamental to democracy, and it is guaranteed by the First Amendment. "The Congress shall make no law... abridged... the right of the people to peacably assemble, and to petition for redress of grievances." Moreover, lobbying is not an American invention. It is a way for citizens to advocate to the government, which is the foundation of any democratic body. To restrict this, the US government would regress without citizens' ability to express and proliferate thier political ideals.

dave12

Awards
  • Established
I usually just troll around trying to get smarter about hugeness but all the "farmers" bashing i thought could use some insight. ArcherDaniels Midland snarfs up about 83 percent of those subsidies 4 excess capacity holdovers and somewere in between 76-79 percent of the ethanol production and growing subs (hard to pin that number down) Before electing any more democrats feel free to read through Nancy Pelosi's 2007 Energy independence bill H.R. 3221 and ask yourself how is limiting our oil imports from canada helping this situation or raising pipeline taxes to pay 4 hybrid snow mobiles in aspen 4 that matter...

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Man I wish the rich and powerful had it easy, nowadays they can't do **** compared to what they used to. Now it's harder for poor people like us to get jobs from them.

When the employers and owners are doing good, we're all doing good. And they're not doing nearly as well now.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
Man I wish the rich and powerful had it easy, nowadays they can't do **** compared to what they used to. Now it's harder for poor people like us to get jobs from them.

When the employers and owners are doing good, we're all doing good. And they're not doing nearly as well now.
Most Rich people got that way by getting off their arses and doing something instead of waiting for the government to redistribute wealth.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I usually just troll around trying to get smarter about hugeness but all the "farmers" bashing i thought could use some insight. ArcherDaniels Midland snarfs up about 83 percent of those subsidies 4 excess capacity holdovers and somewere in between 76-79 percent of the ethanol production and growing subs (hard to pin that number down) Before electing any more democrats feel free to read through Nancy Pelosi's 2007 Energy independence bill H.R. 3221 and ask yourself how is limiting our oil imports from canada helping this situation or raising pipeline taxes to pay 4 hybrid snow mobiles in aspen 4 that matter...
Hey sometimes democrats' stupidity works in our favor. Like not drilling in ANWR until the middle east is dry. Then we'll have our own nice little reserve while the rest of the world suffers without energy. I'm just afraid the hippies will still care more about caribou, then, when gas is 12$/gallon. But we do have to start working on Venezuela or whatever now that we're basically holding it down in Iraq.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Most Rich people got that way by getting off their arses and doing something instead of waiting for the government to redistribute wealth.
Amen. But I don't even care if it's some spoiled ******* who never lifted a finger for his fortune, I still want my employer happy.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Let's not minimise the cost of diesel fuel: whey is shipped by truck from the processing plant (there's a really big one in the Dakotas), as is most food shipped by truck; and in case you haven't noticed, diesel prices are higher than gas prices, for the first time in my lifetime. This is a major factor in the rise of US consumer prices, and probably the single biggest factor increasing prices for whey protein supplements.
The diesel/motor gasoline price structure inverted for the first time that anyone could remember in my refinery (near 100 years old) right after Katrina in '05.

Diesel prices are up because the government (EPA) mandated a MUCH lower sulfur level starting last year.
(500 wt ppm to 30 wt ppm)

That requires a much more severe hydrofining operation (more hydrogen - which is expensive to make) - which adds to the processing cost to make diesel.

Not to mention that the incremental diesel price is essentially mogas blend value. (One big diesel maker is a stream called gas oil - it can be put into a fluid catalytic cracker to make more mogas or into a hydrofiner/GO-finer to make diesel.)

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
I am going to get my own damn cows. Keep the the government out of it.

teribleturtle

Awards
Farmers are not rich and powerful. A subsidy is a result of the market prices for ag., which is a perfectly competitive market (no extra profit). However, now that prices are rising, a subsidy is not needed (see my first post).

As far as tax breaks go, you have to realize that there are multiplying effects within a capitalistic market place. If a multi-national is able to lower its corp. income tax, it can increase production and investment, which increases in the demand in a labor market, so it effects everyone down the chain and encourages business cooperation.

When it comes to lobbying, EVERYONE has a lobbyist: nonprofits like Red Cross, Easter Seals, etc. But yes, big business like Microsoft and Exxon-Mobile do too.

Lobbying is simply the active expression of a citizen's right to influence government. This right is fundamental to democracy, and it is guaranteed by the First Amendment. "The Congress shall make no law... abridged... the right of the people to peacably assemble, and to petition for redress of grievances." Moreover, lobbying is not an American invention. It is a way for citizens to advocate to the government, which is the foundation of any democratic body. To restrict this, the US government would regress without citizens' ability to express and proliferate thier political ideals.
I agree with your assertion of farmers not being rich, it is true that most are not rich but those I am refering to are large corporate agribusinesses, i.e Monsato. I really do not agree with your assertion support of corporate tax breaks (Reaganomics). In a nutshell, yes corporations do benefit but the "trickle down" effect does not always go as planned. Also in order to afford such tax breaks Government often cuts down on other services, such as the cuts that occured during the Reagan Administration. Corporate America prospered during that era, but the same cannot be said for the working/lower classes. It ultimately comes down to the premise that I dont agree with which is; providing extraordinary tax breaks for corporations on the backs of working/middle class Americans.

You are right on your point on lobbying, it is true and rooted in the first Amendment and a basic tenent of democracy. I just wonder about the ethics of the type of lobbying that goes on today. I spent some time in D.C. and Sacramento interning as a lobbyist, some of the things I saw and experienced just made me wonder. Anyways enough of that lets get back to the main discussion.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
This will be moved to the political section in 3....2...

teribleturtle

Awards
Amen. But I don't even care if it's some spoiled ******* who never lifted a finger for his fortune, I still want my employer happy.
Might have been the case a generation or two ago, but sadly today it is not the case that one can bust ones ass and become rich. Study after study has confirmed that birth is becoming a determinant factor of wealth or lack their of in America. I am not arguing in favor of sitting around doing nothing but I think that the idea of meritocracy in America is becoming a bit overstated or is past its time.

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
I agree with your assertion of farmers not being rich, it is true that most are not rich but those I am refering to are large corporate agribusinesses, i.e Monsato. I really do not agree with your assertion support of corporate tax breaks (Reaganomics). In a nutshell, yes corporations do benefit but the "trickle down" effect does not always go as planned. Also in order to afford such tax breaks Government often cuts down on other services, such as the cuts that occured during the Reagan Administration. Corporate America prospered during that era, but the same cannot be said for the working/lower classes. It ultimately comes down to the premise that I dont agree with which is; providing extraordinary tax breaks for corporations on the backs of working/middle class Americans.

You are right on your point on lobbying, it is true and rooted in the first Amendment and a basic tenent of democracy. I just wonder about the ethics of the type of lobbying that goes on today. I spent some time in D.C. and Sacramento interning as a lobbyist, some of the things I saw and experienced just made me wonder. Anyways enough of that lets get back to the main discussion.
The model of low corporate income taxes to encourage production is solid, but it is, what it is. It’s a model and should not be applied in every economic situation. During the 1980’s, the prevailing interest rates were too high to encourage business investment from tax cuts. The result was corporate deconstruction through venture capitalism. However, interest rates are much lower now, and in my opinion, this is the biggest factor in business investment in the US, more than gas prices. These types of federal (and potentially state) corporate tax exemptions and rebates will give you the biggest bang for your buck when it comes to jump starting an economy. It’s kind of like cheap dbol from China. :toofunny:

dave12

Awards
  • Established

The tax breaks comment begs the question....If u increase the cost of operating a business does said business merely roll over and accept that they have to pay it or do they pass the cost on to the end consumer, like for example working/middle class americans to use your term, and then when tax burdens become onerous to the point in which they become anticompetitive and you have 50,000 shareholders to answer to as well as the millions pension funds, ira's, 401s etc hold in your company mandate you move operations in search of a more "free' market to operate, Who in the end is harmed the big corporation or the corporations american employees and again your words the working/middle class?

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The tax breaks comment begs the question....If u increase the cost of operating a business does said business merely roll over and accept that they have to pay it or do they pass the cost on to the end consumer, like for example working/middle class americans to use your term, and then when tax burdens become onerous to the point in which they become anticompetitive and you have 50,000 shareholders to answer to as well as the millions pension funds, ira's, 401s etc hold in your company mandate you move operations in search of a more "free' market to operate, Who in the end is harmed the big corporation or the corporations american employees and again your words the working/middle class?
The middle working class is first affected, and then the poorest workers are affected eventually the most harshly. Then once the unemployment rate skyrockets, the government will enforce regulations on the market in hopes of employing people. As soon as the government gets into the middle of things in the economy, the entrepreneurial initiative is severely discouraged. Who wants to make a new business if it's just gonna give you a headache and make you basically work for/with the government? Once entrepreneurship fails, the government will get more involved and then we're not far from communism. I guess the liberals will be happiest then? If that doesn't make them happy, I don't know what will.

dave12

Awards
  • Established
The middle working class is first affected, and then the poorest workers are affected eventually the most harshly. Then once the unemployment rate skyrockets, the government will enforce regulations on the market in hopes of employing people. As soon as the government gets into the middle of things in the economy, the entrepreneurial initiative is severely discouraged. Who wants to make a new business if it's just gonna give you a headache and make you basically work for/with the government? Once entrepreneurship fails, the government will get more involved and then we're not far from communism. I guess the liberals will be happiest then? If that doesn't make them happy, I don't know what will.
Thats essentially what i was getting at but i think an effective argument can be made that the lowest SES's get hit first and hardest be regulatory/confiscatory taxation on business becuase it takes the federal government quite a long time to turn those revenues into free Gov Cheese and bridge replacement government works projects.