Fish oil or Medium chain trygliceride

1. Registered User

Fish oil or Medium chain trygliceride

Just wanted to know your opinions/experiences on which is more beneficial.

2. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.

I take fish oil daily and Flax seed oil.
  3. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor

Fish oil should be a part of everyone's daily regimen.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
    •   

4. Registered User

fish and flax are much better than mct's

Arnolds Encyclopedia of Modern BBing is what turned me off from MCTs
  5. Registered User

Flax seed lowers testosterone, acts like an estrogen, and increases your risk of prostate cancer.

Sorry, another one of my peaves.
  6. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

I think fish oil at 3-6g a day should be taken by everyone on the planet (who isn't allergic of course ) MCTs I can only say I like using coconut oil as a cooking oil, or to add to a shake to make it take longer to digest
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  7. Registered User

i read on another thread that mct's help with test production. how much truth is there to this and how does it compare to fish oil?
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  246 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Flax seed lowers testosterone, acts like an estrogen, and increases your risk of prostate cancer.

I've never heard that before. What is your source? Why are so many people using flax seed oil?
  9. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ROSSELL_34 View Post
    i read on another thread that mct's help with test production. how much truth is there to this and how does it compare to fish oil?
    they don't really in and of themselves, they help by giving the hormone cascade more raw elements to use. What I found in myself (and a number of others agree) that when you get older and have put on weight, one of the things you do in the attempt to drop that weight is lower your fat intake as those are dense calories. The problem is that it starts to lower your hormone levels at the same time by not providing enough saturated fats to create cholesterol, then pregnenelone from. So adding some healthy saturated fats into your diet can raise testosterone if a part of the low testosterone cause is lower fat intake.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.

I take fish, flax, hemp seed, and EVOO every day.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

I'd be very interested in your sources for this information. This article reports that it may raise testosterone levels and protect against prostate disease, at least in rats.

Dose, timing, and duration of flaxseed exposure affect reproductive indices and sex hormone levels in rats.
    Tou JC, Chen J, Thompson LU.

Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Flaxseed ingestion produces large amounts of mammalian lignans. Since lignans have weak estrogenic/antiestrogenic properties, the objective of this study was to determine in rats whether exposure to 5% or 10% flaxseed affects sex hormone levels and reproductive indices when given at different developmental stages. Rats were exposed to either a basal diet (control), 5%, or 10% flaxseed diet starting at weaning on postnatal day (PND) 21 or continuously from gestation to PND 132 for lifetime exposure. Compared to the control, exposure to 5% or 10% flaxseed after weaning produced no marked reproductive effects, whereas lifetime flaxseed exposure caused significant changes that differed depending on the dose. In female rats, lifetime exposure to 5% flaxseed affected the reproductive tract as indicated by delayed puberty onset. In contrast, lifetime exposure to 10% flaxseed caused earlier puberty onset, higher relative ovarian weight, higher serum estradiol levels, and lengthened estrous cycles. In male rats, lifetime 10% flaxseed exposure raised serum testosterone and estradiol levels and produced higher relative sex organ weights and prostate cell proliferation. In contrast, lifetime exposure to 5% flaxseed reduced adult relative prostate weight and cell proliferation, suggesting potential protection against prostatic disease, although sex hormone levels were unaffected. In conclusion, flaxseed can potentially alter reproduction, depending on the dose and timing of exposure.

The one article on Pubmed that shows a negative effect on testosterone levels in men was flawed in that the men were on a low fat diet, which also reduces test. Furthermore, the total reduction was pretty small, nearly insignificant.

John Berardi summarized the effects pretty well with these comments:

The study you mentioned was published this year by a urology research team at Duke university (Urology 2001 Jul;58(1):47-52). What the researchers did was take 25 men with prostate cancer and lower the amount of fat in their diets to about 20 percent (or less) of total calories.

In addition, they added 30 g of flaxseeds to the diet, not flaxseed oil!

What the researchers found was that at the end of about 1 month, total cholesterol was lowered (from 200 mg/dl to about 170 mg/dl) as was total Testosterone (from 420n g/dl to 360 ng/dl) and the free androgen index (from 36% to 29%). In addition, some markers of prostate biology were altered.

What does this mean? Well, for starters, the decreases in Testosterone were small, especially when you consider that the range of normal Testosterone values span from 300 ng/dl to 1100 ng/dl.

A decrease of 60 points in an 800-point spread between 300 and 1100 ng/dl isn't very big. While not ideal, I doubt these decreases in Testosterone would have any impact on their manhood, if you know what I mean.

In addition, low-fat diets themselves are often associated with decreases in Testosterone levels, so I propose that the lowering of fat in the diet may have caused this small drop rather than the addition of flaxseeds.

In fact, several other studies have helped validate this speculation (Food Chem Toxicol 2000 Apr;38(4):325-34, J Toxicol Environ Health A 1999 Apr 23;56(8):555-70, Am J Clin Nutr 1999 Mar;69(3):395-402).

Although the first two studies mentioned were done in rats, the first of the two showed that in male rats exposed to flaxseed during gestation and weaning, Testosterone and LH levels were increased.

In addition, the second study showed that rats fed a diet high in flaxseed raised Testosterone levels. And finally, in the last study, 29 humans were given a diet containing 20 g of defatted flaxseeds per day. This study showed no changes in androgen or estrogen indices.

So it's my opinion that neither flax oil nor flaxseeds will decrease your Testosterone levels. In fact, supplementing your diet with these two products may actually increase your Testosterone production. And if T doesn't even change one bit, you still have the benefits of flax oil discussed above.

Adding flax seeds to the diet increases dietary fiber and the lignan content of the flaxseeds may be active in the prevention of cancer, antagonism of estrogen receptors, antioxidant protection, and increasing good blood fats (HDL) while decreasing bad blood fats (LDL and cholesterol).

Hope this helps. If you have any other articles to cite, please do. Thanks.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.

really? is this effect significant or negligible? i was under the impression flax seeds were a health food!

I've heard similar objections concerning soy and i tend to drink soy milk (non-GMO) as I'm allergic to cow milk. i've read non-GMO provides a wide spectrum of benefits as well. this is why i haven't dropped soy from my regimen despite the nay-say. however, i balance my food intake (i.e. i have great variety in my diet. soy is not my only protein source).
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.

BUMP

this topic makes for good conversation. where did Dr. John go? LOL
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Medium term planning
    By jock19 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 06:16 AM
  2. Replies: 35