Is It Safe??

shoooter

shoooter

Awards
I am 17 years old, 6'1", and 160lbs. I have been training 3-5 times a week for the past 7 months and am showing little gains. I play highschool varsity basketball and am constantly running so my cardio is up to par. I have been eating right, and drinking protein shakes almost everyday.I am looking for some advice on the decision to take some form of supplement (stronger than protein)to kind of jumpstart some results. Would this be a safe decision considering my stats, and if so are thereany suggestions on what to take?

thanks

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is your diet? This is the most important factor in building muscle.

sbrb12898

Awards
creatine, ur only 17. make sure ur diet is correct so that ur eating the right stuff and enough of it.

shoooter

shoooter

Awards
well im not on any specialized diet persay, i mostly eat what my parents prepare for me which is usually a pretty good meal ie) hardboiled eggs and oatmeal for breakfast, sandwhich or salad for lunch (w/ fruit and what not), and fish (salmon) with potatoes and brocoli for dinner...with the odd snacks inbetween..and staying away from junk as much as possible

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
eat ur face off, then come back when ur 18 and tell us how huge u got,lol

but seriously, just eat like a horse and i see no harm in recommending the Drive/RPM stack

sbrb12898

Awards
u gotta get enough proteins in ur meals an get another 2 or 3 small meals with a sufficient ammount of protein in them. somethin like a couple of protein shakes

shoooter

shoooter

Awards
is ther a certain group of food i should focus my eating..meats, carbs, veggies??

some kids at my school use creatine and claim it has no affect..is this due to their misuse or is it truly a waste of money?

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
Eat more...much more.
This is the best advice you can get, especially since you are running a lot.

During your off season, I would lift weights and take creatine with a high pro diet. Also, be sure to drink A LOT of water with creatine, which is required for maximum effect.

SFRANGER

SFRANGER

Awards
Food is the most anabolic thing you can put in your body man. Eat lots of lean meat (fish, chicken) and clean carbs (whole wheat, oatmeal, black beans, brown rice). Eat a lot, and lift heavy - 7 months isn't quite enough time to really see much gains if you are doing a lot of cardio and not quite eating enough. No supplements can make up for the food. Add more food and give it another 6 months of dedication in the gym and you will see some good results.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
I am 17 years old, 6'1", and 160lbs. I have been training 3-5 times a week for the past 7 months and am showing little gains. I play highschool varsity basketball and am constantly running so my cardio is up to par. I have been eating right, and drinking protein shakes almost everyday.I am looking for some advice on the decision to take some form of supplement (stronger than protein)to kind of jumpstart some results. Would this be a safe decision considering my stats, and if so are thereany suggestions on what to take?

thanks
Before making any jumps into dietary supplements, I'd advise that you research a new training routine that may be a better fit for you. Especially, since your current one isn't producing the gains that you would like. I find that this is one of the most cheapest and effective ways to get out of a rut. Try doing a search for DC or HIT. I'm almost positive that you're probably doing the same kind of ineffective, overtraing that I did in high school, so these might be more beneficial to you than your current routine.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
It sounds like you are eating healthy, you just need to eat more. Concentrate on protein to make gains. If you are an ectomorph (the classic lean body type), up your carbs by quite a bit as well. Basically, you need to concentrate on eating every 2 1/2 hours or so.

jdev

Awards
  • Established
I would not recommend RPM its not really necessary at 17. Its also a pretty strong stim.

Creatine will work. Also probably a Beta-Alanine product would be of interest. Ragnarok is a pretty good premixed all around supplement that is relatively cheap. Also you should get a multivitamin (nothing special is really necessary imo) and fish oil

Also about your workout routine, id recommend either one of the following programs: German Volume Training, Rippetoe, or DoggCrapp

I have personally used all and seen good results on all programs, though German Volume Training is really bad for gaining strength, and Rippetoe is really bad for gaining endurance. though both are good for building muscle imo. however, DoggCrapp is probably the best and most advanced program at least of the three i listed. look here, on google, and at bb . com for posts about these different types of training.

Brfish

Brfish

Board Supporter
Awards
Dude....You need to eat More....A LOT MORE. I am helping my 14yo son gain weight and it is going pretty well. I have been making him these ~1.5 cup containers of whole grain brown rice, black beans, chicken, and broccoli to eat as snacks. Each container is almost enough for a whole meal for My wife. He will eat 2 of the those as snacks during the day. Also get your momma to make pancakes in the AM. A big stack of those goes a long way to putting on the poundage. For lunch eat like 3 PB&J sandwiches and the salad.

God...I wish I could still eat like that and not get all kinds of fat.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hate to beat a dead horse, or sound like a broken record, BUT YOU NEED TO EAT MORE, AT LEAST 4000 CALORIES A DAY!

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I got stronger/bigger when I ate 4,000kcals a day. I used to eat maybe 2,500. Nothing happened, yet I thought creatine and NO and protein shakes would do it. It doesnt.

dafox

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so i'm 18. I'm a freshman in college, and when I got to college, I weighed 160 at 6'0". I am one of those tall lanky guys. I had a hard time hitting 160 by the end of highschool. So, I get to college and go on to a forum for another supp site and ask what I should do. They say eat. So I take whey protein and up my calorie intake to 4000-4500, and what do you know, 6 months later, I'm weighing in at 185. Yeah, eat a healthy diet of carbs 50-55% of diet (fuel for the muscle), fats 15-25% of diet (essential for some body functions), and 30-35% protein (builds muscles). You may want even more protein... but not overkill.
I added in Creatine Monohydrate (for a month) and beta alanine bulk powder (3 months of beta alanine) when I weighed 168lbs, BCAA's just recently when I weighed about 173lbs, and just started creatine mono again about 2 weeks ago. the creatine mono put on some water weight for sure, but I didn't loose too much after I quit using it. also started preworkout supplements a month and a half ago, about 173 lbs? not really too worth it to me, but w/e
Some of the weights are a little off, but I have gained about 4lbs a month on this... and my lifting has just become harder. I'm in Army ROTC, so I do a lot of cardio too. I know how hard it is to gain. I had to force food down to expand my stomach the first few months. My body fat has remained constant at 10-12%.
anyways, some personal experience for you; just to prove that eating right and a lot is what does the most for you.
also, don't just work upper body. do some lower body squats, and dead lifts are pretty killer. they help the rest of your body grow somehow. I used to never hit the squat rack... now I do, and I gain a lot faster.:good:

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Looks like we're in the same boat, Shooter. I've been loading up on carbs and protein, and it seems to be working pretty well- I put on around 10 pounds in something like a month and a half or something.

shoooter

shoooter

Awards
thanks for all the advice, i get the notion i should eat more and i will practrice this..