Best Supplement for STRESS???

freakabe

Awards
Any recommendations?

Its not that I am severely stressed or anything, but I feel that with work, hitting the gym, eating a lot, consuming stimulants and supps, and having only around 6 hours of sleep per day, my body would be in stressed conditions.

What do you guys think?

:squat:

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
Well, Drop the stim's first. If your stressing about stuff stim's usually make it worse.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Check out Relora. Some people swear by it. I hope to try it out very shortly.

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
Are you feeling stressed or just feel like your body SHOULD be stressed?

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i take6 grams of fish oil and 5-htp. seems to make a diff

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A combo of Reset AD and your favorite cortisol control supp (lean Xtreme, etc.)

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
meditation... no supplement will ever beat meditation in stress reduction

relora.... for daily, PM use.

phenibut, but once in a while... tolerance develops quickly

MRM relax-all is a good product for occasional use... (but you cant mix it with anti depressents/psychotics, or rec drugs)

its:

calcium/magnesium
jujube extract
phenibut
relora
theanine
valerian extract

i keep a bottle of that around for when i really need to chill out or i need to put myself out quickly.

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
both my wife and mother in law just started relora. I'll post the results if they notice a difference.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
both my wife and mother in law just started relora. I'll post the results if they notice a difference.
Dude...some hot Mother/Daughter action with a bottle would be hawt...pics?

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
Dude...some hot Mother/Daughter action with a bottle would be hawt...pics?
Thats wrong on so many levels but yes I think I do have some pics of that.

btw I gave my wife the Vday basket a little early and she LOVED it. Ill post more on it in the RPN forums.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!!
jk

try bumping up your B-12 intake.
that always makes me feel A LOT better

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
btw I gave my wife the Vday basket a little early and she LOVED it. Ill post more on it in the RPN forums.
Awesome...looking forward to your (and her) feedback on everything. :)

freakabe

Awards
thanks guys for all the input!!!:bb2:

Honestly, as somebody posted, maybe I just think that my body SHOULD be stressed, but I think jsut to be safe, Ill try Relora for a start??

I have this problem differentiating Relora and Rhodiola, is there a huge difference between the 2?

superstar

Awards
Now Super Cortisol Support has relora and ashwaganda and rhodiola and other goodies. NP has it.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have this problem differentiating Relora and Rhodiola, is there a huge difference between the 2?
Relora® is basically a proprietary blend of patented Magnolia officinalis bark extract and a proprietry phellodendron amurense bark extract. It is geared towards cortisol control and stress management.
Rhodiola Rosea is a classic adaptogen that supports strength/endurance/ATP-synthesis/phospocreatine optimization/cAMP/cortisol control.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now Super Cortisol Support has relora and ashwaganda and rhodiola and other goodies. NP has it.
Now Foods Super Cortisol Control includes Relora®, Ashwagandha, Rhodiola, and other "goodies", but these are present in "ineffective" amounts per dose. It might be a preferred alternative to obtain NOW Foods Relora® (higher per-dose amount than in Super Cortisol Control) and add stand-alone Ashwagandha and Rhodiola Rosea to it.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Stress = High Cortisol = Problems Sleeping = More Stress =
Vicous Circle.

I had all the above and cortisol well above Quest's reference range of 4-22 per BW in November.

So after my November blood test I did this to get a grip on my cortisol:
Day: Limit stims and took Lean Extreme, Reset AD, Relora, IGF-2
Evening (before bed): Relora, Lean Dreams, Somnidren, liquid melatonin (need script)
Sleep improved 100% because all the above helped control my high cortisol levels. Sure enough, my cortisol dropped to 9 (Quest ref 4-22) per BW done 2 weeks ago.

Everyone's different and there is some stress in our lives that we sometimes can't control. For me controlling cortisol with effective supps helped a lot.

PreMier

PreMier

Awards
Relora® is basically a proprietary blend of patented Magnolia officinalis bark extract and a proprietry phellodendron amurense bark extract. It is geared towards cortisol control and stress management.
Rhodiola Rosea is a classic adaptogen that supports strength/endurance/ATP-synthesis/phospocreatine optimization/cAMP/cortisol control.
Rhodiola Rosea all the way

Claims

Rhodiola is most often found in products intended to boost energy and enhance endurance. As such, it is often used as an ingredient in dietary supplements marketed to athletes and individuals concerned with weight loss or energy enhancement. Typical claims for rhodiola include:

* Promotes weight loss
* Aphrodisiac
* Relieves stress
* Enhances athletic performance
* Increases endurance
* Improves oxygen uptake and utilization
* Tonic for well-being
* Immune enhancer
* Improves cognitive function
* Anti-depressant

Scientific Support

In a placebo controlled study of rhodiola rosea's ability to mobilize fatty acids from adipose tissue, 121 subjects were given either rhodiola rosea extract or a placebo and their serum lipid levels were tested at rest and after one hour of exercise. The rhodiola group had 6% greater serum fatty acid levels than the placebo group at rest and 44% greater levels after one hour of exercise. This difference is presumably due to rhodiola rosea's ability to activate adipose lipase, a key enzyme required to burn the body's fat stores.

In an open clinical trial of rhodiola rosea's ability to alleviate symptoms of depression, 128 patients were given extract of rhodiola rosea. The Rhodiola rosea extract was effective in reducing or removing symptoms of depression in 65% of the patients. In another study of 35 men suffering from weak erection, premature ejaculation, or both were treated with 100-150mg of rhodiola rosea extract in an open clinical trial that lasted for three months. 26 of the 35 patients recognized a substantial improvement in sexual function as a result of the treatment.

A placebo-controlled study of rhodiola rosea extract's effects on intellectual performance employed 120 subjects who took a proofreading test. Test subjects took the test both before and after administration of the rhodiola rosea extract or placebo. The test group experienced significant improvement in their scores while the control group did not. Members of each group were continually tested for their ability to perform on the proofreading test for 24 hours after administration of the extract or placebo. The control group experienced a large increase in the number of errors made in the proofreading test while the group receiving rhodiola rosea extract experienced performance decline to a much lesser extent.

Safety

Rhodiola extract is thought to be quite safe. There are no known contraindications or interactions with other drugs/herbs.

Dosage

General dosage recommendations for rhodiola extract are typically in the range of 100-300mg/day of an extract standardized to rosavins (3%).

Description

Rhodiola comprises several species of plants in the Crassulacea family – and is generally found in the arctic mountain regions of Siberia. The root of the plant is used medicinally and is also known as "Arctic root" or "Golden root" and more recently as “Crenulin”. Rhodiola has been used for hundreds of years to treat cold and flu-like symptoms, promote longevity and increase the body's resistance to physical and mental stresses. The Sherpa people of Tibet still use rhodiola as a mental and physical performance aid when working at high altitudes (Sherpa mountaineers typically chew rhodiola on Everest ascents).

Theory

Rhodiola is typically considered to be an “adaptogen” and is believed to invigorate the body and mind to increase resistance to a multitude of stresses. The key active constituents in rhodiola are believed to be rosavin, rosarin, rosin and salidroside.

Scientific Support

In a placebo controlled study of rhodiola rosea's ability to mobilize fatty acids from adipose tissue, 121 subjects were given either rhodiola rosea extract or a placebo and their serum lipid levels were tested at rest and after one hour of exercise. The rhodiola group had 6% greater serum fatty acid levels than the placebo group at rest and 44% greater levels after one hour of exercise. This difference is presumably due to rhodiola rosea's ability to activate adipose lipase, a key enzyme required to burn the body's fat stores.

In an open clinical trial of rhodiola rosea's ability to alleviate symptoms of depression, 128 patients were given extract of rhodiola rosea. The Rhodiola rosea extract was effective in reducing or removing symptoms of depression in 65% of the patients. In another study of 35 men suffering from weak erection, premature ejaculation, or both were treated with 100-150mg of rhodiola rosea extract in an open clinical trial that lasted for three months. 26 of the 35 patients recognized a substantial improvement in sexual function as a result of the treatment.

A placebo-controlled study of rhodiola rosea extract's effects on intellectual performance employed 120 subjects who took a proofreading test. Test subjects took the test both before and after administration of the rhodiola rosea extract or placebo. The test group experienced significant improvement in their scores while the control group did not. Members of each group were continually tested for their ability to perform on the proofreading test for 24 hours after administration of the extract or placebo. The control group experienced a large increase in the number of errors made in the proofreading test while the group receiving rhodiola rosea extract experienced performance decline to a much lesser extent.

Value

Rhodiola extract is valuable as an adaptogen, to increase the body's ability to deal with a number of psychological and physiological stresses. Of particular value is the theoretical role for rhodiola in increasing the body's ability to take up and utilize oxygen - an effect similar to that of cordyceps - which may explain some of the non-stimulant “energizing” effects attributed to both supplements.

References

1. Linh PT, Kim YH, Hong SP, Jian JJ, Kang JS. Quantitative determination of salidroside and tyrosol from the underground part of Rhodiola rosea by high performance liquid chromatography. Arch Pharm Res 2000 Aug;23(4):349-52.
2. Lishmanov IuB, Naumova AV, Afanas'ev SA, Maslov LN. Contribution of the opioid system to realization of inotropic effects of Rhodiola rosea extracts in ischemic and reperfusion heart damage in vitro. Eksp Klin Farmakol 1997 May-Jun;60(3):34-6.
3. Maslova LV, Kondrat'ev BIu, Maslov LN, Lishmanov IuB. The cardioprotective and antiadrenergic activity of an extract of Rhodiola rosea in stress. Eksp Klin Farmakol 1994 Nov-Dec;57(6):61-3.
4. Rege NN, Thatte UM, Dahanukar SA. Adaptogenic properties of six rasayana herbs used in Ayurvedic medicine. Phytother Res 1999 Jun;13(4):275-91.
5. Spasov AA, Wikman GK, Mandrikov VB, Mironova IA, Neumoin VV. A double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of the stimulating and adaptogenic effect of Rhodiola rosea SHR-5 extract on the fatigue of students caused by stress during an examination period with a repeated low-dose regimen. Phytomedicine 2000 Apr;7(2):85-9.
6. Wang S, Wang FP. Studies on the chemical components of Rhodiola crenulata. Yao Hsueh Hsueh Pao. 1992;27(2):117-20.
7. Wang S, You XT, Wang FP. HPLC determination of salidroside in the roots of Rhodiola genus plants. Yao Hsueh Hsueh Pao. 1992;27(11):849-52.
8. Xu J, Xie J, Feng P, Su Z. Oxygen transfer characteristics in the compact callus aggregates of Rhodiola sachalinensis. Chin J Biotechnol 1998;14(2):99-107.
9. Yoshikawa M, Shimada H, Horikawa S, Murakami T, Shimoda H, Yamahara J, Matsuda H. Bioactive constituents of Chinese natural medicines. IV. Rhodiolae radix. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 1997 Sep;45(9):1498-503.
10. Zhang S, Wang J, Zhang H. Chemical constituents of Tibetan medicinal herb Rhodiola kirilowii. Chung Kuo Chung Yao Tsa Chih 1991 Aug;16(8):483, 512.
11. Zong Y, Lowell K, Ping JA, Che CT, Pezzuto JM, Fong HH. Phenolic constituents of Rhodiola coccinea, a Tibetan folk medicine. Planta Med 1991 Dec;57(6):589.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lean Xtreme, Relora, Ashwagandha, and Rhodiola are part of my current supplementation. Help a lot with sleep. I use IGF-2 daily (as part of my current stack) and this helps even better with sleep and recovery. I use PowerFULL week days. Somnidren-GH is also nice in this connection.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
For acute stress or insomnia, phenibut works best for me. It's great or restating a good sleep cycle after a stressful period.