Transdermal Forskolin?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I was poking around trying to find an article I remembered reading on forskolin + skin cancer. I couldn't find my original one, but instead found this

Scientists Discover New Clues on Sun Tanning and Skin Cancer
Thursday , September 21, 2006

By Kathleen Doheny

Fair-skinned people who yearn for a suntan -- even though they know it's hopeless and unhealthy -- may one day have cause for celebration.

Harvard scientists have discovered new information about how the skin tans or -- in the case of fair-skinned people -- stubbornly refuses to tan due to a genetic defect. Using a skin treatment, they have turned pale skin dark, while also protecting it from ultraviolet-induced skin cancer.

"Darkening a person's skin may mimic the protective benefit seen in people who otherwise make a large amount of pigment," says researcher David E. Fisher, MD, PhD, director of the Melanoma Program at Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. And that could translate into a reduction in the toll of the potentially deadly skin cancer melanoma, expected to be diagnosed this year in 62,000 people in the U.S. and to result in 8,000 deaths, according to American Cancer Society projections.

The study appears in the Sept. 21 edition of the journal Nature. Fisher cautions that the study was done only in animals. Using a topical cream instead of the sun's rays, Fisher's team was able to switch on the tanning mechanism in the skin cells of fair-skinned mice, turning them into olive-skinned animals.

"This has not been demonstrated in people and there is a lot that needs to be proven before it's ready for even a first attempt in clinical subjects," Fisher says.

Even so, the study was called intriguing by Meenhard Herlyn, DVM, PhD, a tumor biologist at The Wistar Institute, a research center on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania.

"What he clearly has shown is … you can induce a pigmentation, tanning, and the purpose is that people who are very susceptible to skin cancer, including melanoma, can be protected."

'Accidental' Discovery

Like much of science, the finding was accidental, Fisher says.

"We were attempting to generate mouse models to study the ability of ultraviolet radiation to induce melanoma in the skin," Fisher says. They used mice whose fair skin came from the same genetic roots as fair-skinned people. "We ran into this technical difficulty, that no matter what we did, the red-haired mice sunburned. We've proven what people had known for thousands of years -- redheads don't tan."

But the finding, Fisher says, was much more rigorous evidence than the long-standing observation. They decided to take a closer look at what happens when the skin tans -- or in the case of fair-skinned people, doesn't tan.

In fair-skinned people, a receptor for the melanocyte-stimulating hormone, which induces pigment production from melanocyte cells, often has small changes in the genetic sequence, which make it function poorly. Fisher's team studied mice that were engineered to have this mutation.

Role of UV Radiation

In their experiments, they found that UV radiation doesn't act directly on the melanocyte cells, as experts believe, but rather on neighboring skin cells called keratinocytes.

"The keratinocytes responded to UV radiation by making a huge amount of melanocyte stimulating hormone," he says. "It then secreted that and that hormone needed to find its receptor on the surface of the melanocyte." But if that receptor is faulty, as it is in fair-skinned people, tanning doesn't occur.

Then, they used a plant extract called forskolin, found in India, which bypassed the mutated receptor and starts the pigmentation process. The plant extract is known to activate an enzyme "one step past the receptor" involved in pigment production, Fisher says.

"We applied forskolin once a day, five days a week," Fisher says. "Within a few days we could see the skin was starting to get dark. One hundred percent of them got dark. We extracted the melanin, and it was true melanin. We looked at it under the microscope. Everything about it was the same as a dark person's melanin."

Mice treated with the forskolin developed six tumors, while those not treated with it developed 11 tumors. At the end of the 50-week follow-up, the skin of the mice treated with the forskolin was still dark. Treatment of forskolin also prolonged the time until development of tumors as well from an average time of four weeks to 25 weeks.

Next, says Fisher, he hopes to validate that the pathway to tanning works the same in people. "We suspect there is a very good chance that is the case."

Herlyn calls the study "intriguing" because "it brings many pieces of a puzzle together in a very elegant way. If this bears out in humans, you can activate your pigmentation machinery without having to go into the sun."

While the study will have an impact on our understanding of how tanning occurs, practical applications are probably "years off," cautions Martin A. Weinstock, MD, PhD, chair of the American Cancer Society Skin Cancer Advisory Group and a professor of dermatology and community health at Brown University in Providence, R.I. "It's not like next month we will have the component that will make all this theoretical stuff possible."

Fisher emphasizes he's not suggesting anyone smear their skin with forskolin. Like Weinstock and Heryln, he recommends the use of sunscreens and other sun-protective measures, such as wearing a hat and long-sleeved clothing when out in the sun.

By Kathleen Doheny, reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

SOURCES: David E. Fisher, MD, PhD, director, Melanoma Program, Dana Farber Cancer Institute; professor of pediatric hematology/oncology, Harvard Medical School, Boston. Meenhard Herlyn, DVM, PhD, tumor biologist; professor and chair of the Program for Molecular and Cellular Oncognesis, The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia. Martin A. Weinstock, MD, PhD, chairman, American Cancer Society Skin Cancer Advisory Group; professor of dermatology and community health, Brown University, Providence, R.I. Fisher D. Nature, Sept. 21, 2006; vol 443: pp 340-344.
I wonder how cheap I can get bulk forskolin to try a cream out of. would be interesting to see.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
I have been wondering about that myself. I was going to go see how much custom was selling the bulk powder for and pick up some of his carrier or some carrier from primordial and give it a shot. I am just wondering if the carriers penetrate too deep to do any good. It doesn't talk about the dosages that were given to the mice.

I just got finished with all the cutting from a melanoma last year and have been wanting to give this a try.

I think this post has a link to the article you are talking about.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-articles/63101-tan-forskolin.html

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
I found this forum where people are talking about using it with MT2

REAL sunless tanner -- Forskolii in "Nature" mag - ImmInst Forums

I also found this one

Liposome delivery of compositions to enhance tanning and repair UV damage - Patent EP0707844

The forskolin of the present invention is an extract from the plant Coelus forskohlii. Coelus forskohlii extract can be commercially obtained from the Sigma Chemical Corporation. In a preferred embodiment, the forskolin of the invention is a water soluble derivative of forskolin. In another preferred embodiment, the forskolin is the forskolin derivative 7 beta desacetyl-7 beta [ gamma -(N-methylpiperazino)-butyryl] forskolin. However, those skilled in the art will recognize that many water soluble forskolin derivatives, including those now known, or to be discovered, will be suitable for the practice of the invention. Forskolin should be present in a concentration ranging from about .0001% to about 0.003%. Preferably, the concentration is about .001%.
% of what - I don't know??? I would hate to dump 30g in a bottle of carrier and be the first person to OD on the stuff.

INGREDIENT Head Col 2: % by Weight Head Col 3: Gm Helioprotein TM Plant Amino Acid Extract40.00400 Water25.089250.89 Bioplex TM RNA Powder0.505.0 Methyl Paraben1.202.0 Highly Purified Phospholipids10.00100.0 Vitazyme TM ACTN20.00200.0 Dowicil TM 2000.202.0 Acqua-Biomin TM Mg2.0020.0 Acqua-Biomin TM Cu1.0010.0 Acqua-Biomin TM Zn1.0010.0 AMP-95qsqs Cyclic AMP0.010.1 Forskolin0.0010.01

In addition to the ingredients used in Example 1, CAMP and forskolin were added to produce Formulation 2.

Formulation 2 showed a melanin increase of 81.68% over the control. 3. Formulation 4 showed a melanin increase of 60.43% over the control. 4. Formulation 1 showed a melanin increase of 26.71% over the control.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You would use a specific base meant for transdermal penetration, and the you would also need 99% forskolin, which is impossible to buy in quantities less than a kilogram

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
Pp has a transdermal base, the same one they use for sustain and everything, haven't used it but as long as you get quality raws it should work.

Shavani

Awards
isnt there a way to make the 20 pct forskolin work by using higher doses of that?

Shavani

Awards
when they say: transdermal: does it mean you have to apply it all over your body to activate melanocytes?

Where can you get the best stuff to start with it?

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
when they say: transdermal: does it mean you have to apply it all over your body to activate melanocytes?

Where can you get the best stuff to start with it?
Www.Primordialperformance.com has the topical base and yes applied to the skin, shoulders chest abdomen and upper back are recommended areas of application

Shavani

Awards
and no legs? I mean if you apply it on those areas, will it have an impact on all melanocytes?
What product is recommended? And where do I find the best forskolin?

Shavani

Awards
I don't find the kilogram quantaties. Most stuff I find contain 20 %

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
kilogram quantities are in the $2400 range. And again, this isn't much of a color change, its pretty slight.

if you are looking to darken skin, Melanotan II is a far better bet.

Shavani

Awards
I have used melanotan but I won't use it again because of the needles, cooling,....not the best choice when u travel a lot....

How about tyrosine-copper combos to increase melanocytes? Could it work topically?

I had read about oral coleus forskohlii having an impact on people's hair color? anyone experienced that?

Shavani

Awards
I've heard better body sports sells a 95 pct pure forskolin. Could that help seeing thing from a new prospective

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you aren't going to see significant change but sure, the 95% is decent to use

Shavani

Awards
But howcome people on other forums noticed a change? Could have something to do with the delivery. I mean: I mainly read about hair darkening, not really skin

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
theres a change sure, but its slight, doesn't last too long and doesn't seem to recur the next time you use forskolin.

Shavani

Awards
and how about the hair darkening people reported? Is it from oral or topical forskolin?

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
and no legs? I mean if you apply it on those areas, will it have an impact on all melanocytes?
What product is recommended? And where do I find the best forskolin?
For what you will be using it for any non mucous membrane would work for application, but read up on sun exposure after application, I know you should avoid sun for 6 hours after using transdermal dermacrine which has the same base, same warning for sustain alpha so I believe its to do with the base not the added compound

Shavani

Awards
I don't get this, do you mean transdermal demacrine already increases pigmentation and not the added forskolin?

Shavani

Awards
I have some proof it works on humans, you can always PM me as I don't want to put names of researches on the board and I probably need some help formulating as well, but it looks good.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
:thumbsup:

Shavani

Awards
Thanks Judojosh, guess this would penetrate better than most selfmade stuff

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Judojosh, guess this would penetrate better than most selfmade stuff
That is the solution you would use and than add whatever it is you want to add to that. These bottles arent intended to be used on their own

Shavani

Awards
is there something extra you could add ( something moisturizing) to stop the alcohol from drying out

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it doesn't seem to create much skin dryness. probably a better option than adding something directly would be to follow up with moisturizer 3-4 hours later.

Shavani

Awards
Somebody gave me a formula that contains dmge .8oz
does anyone know what dmge stand for?