NKO Krill Oil 3x Stronger than Fish Oil!?

Turk

Awards
Just stumbled about a supplement called Krill Oil in a add for Costco of all things :lol:

So I decided to do a lil research and found some interesting things. Some maybe marketing some maybe fact.

The product I saw in the Costco ad:

3X Better for Supporting Cardiovascular
Health than Fish Oil
A peer reviewed, published human clinical study showed that when compared to doses of fish oil 2-6x higher, NKO™ Krill Oil is at least 3X superior in improving markers of cardiovascular health.

In other words, 300mg MegaRed™ Krill Oil (1 softgel) is at least 3X superior to 1000mg Fish Oil (1 softgel) in improving markers for cardiovascular health.
SchiffMegaRed.com Home
From Proteinpower.com by a guy named Michael R. Eades, M.D.

A few days ago I posted on a fish oil/krill oil/curcumin regimen that I’ve been using to treat joint and muscle soreness after golf. I had a number of comments wanting to know about krill oil and why I made it part of the treatment protocol. Your wish is my command.

Krill oil, logically enough, comes from krill, which are small, shrimp like crustaceans that inhabit the cold ocean areas of the world, primarily the Antarctic and North Pacific Oceans. Despite their small size–one to five centimeters in length–krill make up the largest animal biomass on the planet. According to Neptune Technologies, the Canadian company that holds the patent for krill oil extraction, there are approximately 500 million tons of krill roaming around in these northern seas, 110,000 tons of which are harvested annually.

Krill oil, like fish oil, contains both of the omega-3 fats eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA), but hooked together in a different form. In fish oil these omega-3 fatty acids are found in the triglyceride form whereas in krill oil they are hooked up in a double chain phospholipid structure. (The fats in our own cell walls are in the phospholipid form.) Attached to the EPA leg of the phospholipid is a molecule of astaxanthin, an extremely potent anti-oxidant. The phospholipid structure of the EPA and DHA in krill oil makes them much more absorbable and allows for a much easier entrance into the mitochondria and the cellular nucleus. In addition to EPA and DHA krill oil contains a complex phospholipid profile including phosphatidylcholine, a potent source of reductive-stress-reducing choline, which also acts as a natural emulsifier.

Krill oil contains vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin D and canthaxanthin, which is, like astaxanthin, a potent anti-oxidant. The anti-oxidant potency of krill oil is such that when compared to fish oil in tems of ORAC (Oxygen radical absorptance capacity) values it was found to be 48 times more potent than fish oil.

The astaxanthin found in krill oil provides excellent protection against ultravoilet light and UV-induced skin damage. It was for this reason that I started taking krill oil to begin with–I only discovered its other virtues later on.

A number of studies have shown that krill oil is tremendously effective in reducing LDL-cholesterol, raising HDL-cholesterol, and lowering blood sugar. It has been shown to be effective in treating the pain and inflammation from rheumatoid arthritis and aches and pains in general. One large study showed that krill oil has tremendous benefits in terms of symptom reduction in PMS and dysmenorrhea. And it has been shown to be effective in the treatment of adult ADHD. In all these studies krill oil was tested against fish oil and not simply a placebo.

Due to the rapid absorption of krill oil and the high anti-oxidant content there is virtually never the fishy burping and aftertaste sometimes experienced with fish oil. And there are no other side effects to speak of. The jury is out right now on if and to what degree there is a problem for those people allergic to shrimp. Until the jury is in, I would be careful in taking krill oil if I had a shrimp allergy.

Are there any downsides to this miracle substance? Only one. It is a little more pricey than fish oil, but, as with all things, you get what you pay for. Virtually all krill oil is produced by Neptune Technologies and shipped to the various supplement manufacturers, so any krill oil you get will have come from the same place and be the same dosage. The only unknown is how long it has been sitting around in a warehouse somewhere, which is, of course, the same unkown with fish oil. At least with krill oil, thanks to the high anti-oxidant content, the shelf life is much longer.

One last thing. I neglected to mention in my previous post that popping a couple of fish oil and krill oil caps don’t give the same immediate relief as popping a NSAID. It takes a while–a couple of weeks in my case–for the fish oil/krill oil to provide the same degree of pain relief as the NSAID. So, the take home message is: don’t take your first dose and compare it to the relief you got with a dose of NSAID. If you do, you will not believe the program works and will probably think me an idiot. It takes a while, so give it time. In the study I mentioned in the last post, the subjects took the fish oil for two weeks along with their NSAIDs, then tapered off the drugs and treated their pain with the fish oil alone.
Why krill oil? | Health & Nutrition by Michael R. Eades, M.D.

Krill Oil Update.com
Title: The Safety of Krill Oil as a Nutritional Supplement

Author(s): Ruggiero-Lopez D, Servetto C, Lopez E, Lenoir D, Alallon W, Biol MC, Louisot P, Martin A.

Source: Biochem Mol Biol Int. 1994 Aug;33(5):1001-10.

Content: Comparative effects of dietary corn, fish and Krill oils on intestinal glycosylation.

Department of Biochemistry, INSERM-CNRS U. 189. Lyon-Sud Medical School, Oullins, Uruguay.

Antarctic Krill is considered as a valuable protein resource for animal and human nutrition. Due to the high content of long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids of the n-3 family, Krill consumption could be also interesting in cardiovascular diseases. In the search for the demonstration of the absence of toxicity of Krill, we studied the effect of Krill oil, as compared to fish and corn oil, on the rat intestinal fucosylation process at weaning, a very sensitive model of the influence of nutritional factors.

Krill oil containing diets were very well tolerated as compared to other currently used oils and induced only slight modification in fucose and mannose proportions in intestinal glycoprotein sugars. These modifications were not reflected in the enzymatic activities involved in the fucosylation pathway.

These results confirm the harmlessness of Krill derived products and their possible use in human nutrition.

[ The Safety of Krill Oil as a Nutritional Supplement ]

Pubmed
Omega-3 DHA and EPA for cognition, behavior, and mood: clinical findings and structural-functional synergies with cell membrane phospholipids.
Kidd PM.

Cell biology; University of California, Berkeley; Contributing Editor, Alternative Medicine Review; health educator; biomedical consultant, dietary supplement industry. Correspondence address: 10379 Wolf Drive, Grass Valley, CA 95949 Email: [email protected].

The omega-3 fatty acids docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) are orthomolecular, conditionally essential nutrients that enhance quality of life and lower the risk of premature death. They function exclusively via cell membranes, in which they are anchored by phospholipid molecules. DHA is proven essential to pre- and postnatal brain development, whereas EPA seems more influential on behavior and mood. Both DHA and EPA generate neuroprotective metabolites. In double-blind, randomized, controlled trials, DHA and EPA combinations have been shown to benefit attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD), autism, dyspraxia, dyslexia, and aggression. For the affective disorders, meta-analyses confirm benefits in major depressive disorder (MDD) and bipolar disorder, with promising results in schizophrenia and initial benefit for borderline personality disorder. Accelerated cognitive decline and mild cognitive impairment (MCI) correlate with lowered tissue levels of DHA/EPA, and supplementation has improved cognitive function. Huntington disease has responded to EPA. Omega-3 phospholipid supplements that combine DHA/EPA and phospholipids into the same molecule have shown marked promise in early clinical trials. Phosphatidylserine with DHA/EPA attached (Omega-3 PS) has been shown to alleviate AD/HD symptoms. Krill omega-3 phospholipids, containing mostly phosphatidylcholine (PC) with DHA/EPA attached, markedly outperformed conventional fish oil DHA/EPA triglycerides in double-blind trials for premenstrual syndrome/dysmenorrhea and for normalizing blood lipid profiles. Krill omega-3 phospholipids demonstrated anti-inflammatory activity, lowering C-reactive protein (CRP) levels in a double-blind trial. Utilizing DHA and EPA together with phospholipids and membrane antioxidants to achieve a triple cell membrane synergy may further diversify their currently wide range of clinical applications.

PMID: 18072818 [PubMed - in process]
Omega-3 DHA and EPA for cognition, behavior, and m...[Altern Med Rev. 2007] - PubMed Result

Anyone have any experience will Krill Oil or any more info on it?

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Krill oil is by far one of the best options out there.... just pricey!

Good info Turk!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yep, it is more potent and usable to more cells but the price is high. I went through a few bottles and was somewhat impressed( in terms of mood enhancement) but not enough to keep paying that much.

MTNMEDIC

I allmost forgot about that, really good but spendy like anything else.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
I think the costco Megared krill is about 18 bucks for a 90 supply

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
So, if I currently take 6G of fish oill per day, the 6 krill oils although lower in dha and epa, would be equal?

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Krill oil is by far one of the best options out there.... just pricey!

Good info Turk!
I take it consistently! I actually take it along with Fish Oil though :)

PS: The Google (I think) generated ads on this page have the source where I buy my Krill Oil, although Ruthless also makes a Krill Supplement called Krill-TS.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, if I currently take 6G of fish oill per day, the 6 krill oils although lower in dha and epa, would be equal?
It's tough to make a direct conversion.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cool. If taking for joint health and mood, what's a good safe range?
I would take 1-1.5 grams per day of Krill, and 2-3 grams of fish oil.

Should be ideal, and economical.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I would take 1-1.5 grams per day of Krill, and 2-3 grams of fish oil.

Should be ideal, and economical.
This is what I do, as far as Krill... I do about 2g/day Krill, and 12g/day Omega :)

JayJo

Banned
Awards
Great Infos in here. Glad i bought some Krill-TS by RLS!

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed! Very good info in here on the benefits of krill oil

wildcat44

Awards
I guess I'll be the one who plays the devil's advocate on this one, as I've previously looked into whether to add Krill Oil to my daily supplement list.

Although tempted by what one can term a great marketing campaign by NKO, I've yet to try Krill Oil because it is too expensive to justify what appears to be its only advantage---the astaxanthin. As to it having a better effect on plasma n-3 levels, I don't think you'll find any real advantage of Krill over Fish Oil in the actual numbers from the studies out there, even with them being sponsored/funded by the Krill Oil companies.

There's a recent study published in the Nov. 2010 issue of Lipids Journal by Aker BioMarine, the makers of Superba krill oil. The study is titled Metabolic Effects of Krill Oil are Essentially Similar to Those of Fish Oil but at Lower Dose of EPA and DHA, in Healthy Volunteers. There study found that there is no difference between Krill oil and Fish oil when it comes to blood lipids like cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. The study show that these same benefits can be had from Krill even if the EPA + DHA dose in the Krill oil was 62.8% of that in the Fish oil.

So the study from the maker of Superba Krill Oil says that Krill Oil is approximately 1.5 times better than Fish Oil. What's not in the study? That 1.5 times more potency doesn't justify having to pay 8 - 10 times the price.

Then the study also found this: Krill oil increases the level of Arachidonic acid (AA) in your body. Too much AA can cause inflammation. Anybody out there who already has some inflammation---want to possibly increase it by having too high of AA levels?

My post count is not high enough to post a link to the study, but it can be found at superlink.com. Try this number 270j241473471664 for content.

Now, I'm not saying Krill oil is bad, and I've considered taking it for the additional anti-oxidant benefit, but I personally think taking fish oil and astaxanthin separately gets you the benefits a person wants from Krill and leaves money left over in the budget for other things....and having money left over sure comes in handy given these economic times.

JayV

Banned
Awards
Are you a rep for NTBM?
If so, you need to disclose the fact.
This is a slimy practice that shouldn't be tolerated.

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm loving the fact that I only need 2 caps of Krill a day. Not using fish oil no more!

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm loving the fact that I only need 2 caps of Krill a day. Not using fish oil no more!
That is a big advantage. I take more caps of fish oil per day than anything else. Actually more than most everything else combined. 2 caps a day would be a nice change ;)

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I switched over to Krill Oil a while ago, maybe four months? Anyway, I actually still use Fish Oil, with a blend of all three omegas. I do this because I actually count them toward my daily fat intake, and I feel as though a higher fat intake from the fish oil lubricates my joints and adds slightly to my insulin health and even somewhat mitigates fat storage.

808Pump

Awards
My posts are too low to put a link up, but if you want some good info on Krill check out (A proven product dot com) under The Trouble With Krill Oil. However, I did not purchase from the suggested vendor as I felt that (Krill oil dot com) had a slightly better product for a much cheaper price especially when ordering the package deal. Purchase 4 btls for $119 and get 2 more free as well as free shipping.
First time I'll be taking this product, as I'm currently taking fermented cod liver oil, but will switch once I'm out of the CLO.

hannah26

Awards
It is true that Krill oil is stronger than fish oil because it reduce our cholesterol level.
One of the benefits of Krill Oil over Fish Oil is that, Fish Oil has the tendency to oxidize very quickly when it is exposed to air but Krill oil is far more stable. Krill Doctor Professional, carries 2x times more Phospholipids & Omega-3 DHA and EPA, as compared to other Krill products available in market.

BOOMBOOMBOOM

Awards
Danish research has found it that in tests with fish oil and sugar that only 10% of the beneficial oils were consumed, whereas the rest was consumed as fat. You can avoid this by not eating fish oil together with a big meal, and even better before you go to bed, then you'll be able to consume 90% of the beneficial oils.

Same research also concludes that proteins are the best thing to eat (or drink) together with fish oil. The study was done by Copenhagen University together with Bergen and Beijing and done on mice.

Maybe its a bit off topic here, not sure what this krill is, but Its important research.

I have just corrected the places where google translate doesnt translate it very well, or even at all. There might be some funny translations though.

Sugar blocks the healthy effects of fish oil

By: Kristian Sjøgren , Journalism, Environment & molecular biologist

Omega 3-fatty acids found in fish oil, are healthy and help reduce obesity. New research shows that sugar in the diet inhibits the effect of Omega 3.

If you start your morning with a fish oil pill, which you wash down with a glass of juice before you eat a sandwich with jam, then you are probably not as healthy as you think you are.

Health effects of fish oil omega 3-fatty acids are severely reduced by the sugar in juice, according to new research from nationally Institute of Nutrition and sjømatforskning (NIFES) in Norway. The research has been provided on the basis of a collaboration between NIFES, University of Copenhagen, University of Bergen and Beijing Genomics Institute.

Fish oil is like butter if you have sugar in the diet
"There is incredible literature that says that fish oil to some extent may counteract the development of obesity," says senior scientist Lise Madsen from NIFES, which also is an associate professor at Copenhagen University. But the new research turns that idea upside down. Reality is far more complicated and if you eat your fish oil wrong, you end up just taking on (fat) instead.

Experiments on mice show that the sugar blocks fish oil's ability to reduce the amount of cholesterol in the blood. According to Lise Madsen, who is behind the study, fish oil behaves totally ineffective as fish oil, when you have sugar in the diet. "you might as well eat a spoonful of butter instead of fish oil if you have too much sugar in your food. If you combine your fish oil with sugar, you end up actually gaining weight instead of lose it, "she explains.

Attempts made obese mice

The experiments revealed that the combination of fish oil and sugar made mice significantly fatter than if they just got fish oils and proteins. Actually, experiments showed that the more protein there was in the diet, the greater was the effect of the fish oil.

"Earlier studies in mice and rats show that fish oils stops the development of obesity. Our results show that the effect will be nullified if there is sugar in the diet. It is the simultaneous intake of fish oils and carbohydrates, which is unfortunate, "explains Lise Madsen.

In the experiments mice received different amounts of sugar and proteins, but the calorie amount and oil volume was always the same.
(deleted unimportant section)

Beware of blood sugar when you eat fish oil

Insulin plays a central role in the storage of energy in the body. Maturation takes place mainly as fat. When blood sugar is high, insulin is secreted from the pancreas.

According to Lise Madsen you should think about when you eat your fish oil, and what you've eaten before.

"If the revelations are the same on humans as they are on mice, you should wait the time it takes until your blood sugar is stabilize before you eat fish oil. I imagine that most eat fish oil in the morning, but really we should probably prefer to eat the evening(haha!). Then you can be sure you dont gain in weight because of the fish oil, "says Lise Madsen.

The results will be published soon in the Distinguished journal PLoS ONE